Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:41 PM #26
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke. View Post
Don't know about females but it isn't really with males, most of the great older actors still get roles in loads of films.
Yeah it does seem to be more of a female thing, people like Al Pacino, De Niro & Harrison Ford are/were still making films when they're older
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:03 PM #27

I noticed that all of the actresses you mentioned are American, and i think you hit on another disturbing trend, American Actresses are being replaced by foreigners in American movies because they will work for less. How many British and Australian actresses are filling roles that could be played by those American actresses you mentioned?

Last edited by lostalex; 08-10-2011 at 08:04 PM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:11 PM #28
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
I noticed that all of the actresses you mentioned are American, and i think you hit on another disturbing trend, American Actresses are being replaced by foreigners in American movies because they will work for less. How many British and Australian actresses are filling roles that could be played by those American actresses you mentioned?
I don't think that's true at all, acting is a very prestigious job, Hollywood just wants the best person for the role and has the bucks to get whatever actress they want

Last edited by MTVN; 08-10-2011 at 08:12 PM.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:59 PM #29
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

It is very different for women in movies than it is for men. Much fewer good roles for older women are written, and if they are they're the first roles cut when they need to shave some time off in the edit. As Goldie Hawn's character in The First Wives Club said... there are 3 ages of women in Hollywood: Babe, District Attorney and Driving Miss Daisy.

Shame. I'm surprised more younger people in the film industry don't wise up and try to even things out. Maybe they would if they woke up to the fact that in a few years, that'll be them.

On the plus side, Women "of a certain age" rule the serious stage. But then, lots of "film stars" can't act well enough to hold the attention a theatre full of people.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:12 PM #30
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I don't think that's true at all, acting is a very prestigious job, Hollywood just wants the best person for the role and has the bucks to get whatever actress they want
Except it's not always the best person for the job, it's the biggest box office pull at the time, and it doesn't always work out. How many appalling attempts at British accents are we going to have to put up with so that an American actress can be in a British film? Or even play a Brit in an American film. Rene Zellwegger, Anne Hathaway, Gwyneth Paltrow, Scarlett Johanssen, Winona Ryder, and who could forget possibly the world's worst actress, Andie McDowell in Greystoke, where her accent was so bad they had to bring in a older actress - Glen Close - to voice over her part. They're supposed to be actresses and they can't do an accent? That's like being a secretary and not being able to type. Oh well love, never mind, just slip your top off instead...
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ageist or sexist, film, industry