Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB12 Big Brother 12 started on Thursday Sept 9th 2011 on Channel 5 for a 9-week run. The series was won by Aaron. Tell us what you thought about the housemates and series in this forum.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 PM #26

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:

Strategy/Tactics > personality and boring people.

US trumps UK
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 PM #27
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

im from the uk and love the usa version much more, its not only drama but strategy and tactics as well, there are also lots of crazy housemates too

bbus>bbuk

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:14 PM #28

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Kaitlyn
BBUSA19: Jessica

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie. View Post
Really don't like the US version of BB. It really is just a gameshow all about strategy and tactics, rather than a personality/popularity competition which the UK version is (although for some reason people get the idea our version is strictly a gameshow as well)
The British version has just become a laugh and feel superior to the HMs show, reaching its nadir this year. It's not about true personalities because most people only seem interested in caricatures. The American version definitely felt superior and even more real than the British version this year, and that just shows how much things have changed.

Greats of Big Brother

BBAU9 Estelle [avatar]
BBAU8 Brigitte
BBAU7 Aleisha
BBUS 13 Rachel
BBUK11 - Sunshine
BBUK10 - Marcus
BBUK9 - Stephanie
BBUK7 - Jennie
BBUK6 - Sam
BBUK5 - Victor
BBUK4 - Nush
BBUK3- Jonny (only saw last two weeks)
starry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:40 PM #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayita View Post
I am also American and always watched BBUS, this is also my first time watching BBUK and I love it! It manage to captivate me more than any US season after Dr Will.

I think the US version should borrow some aspects from the UK. For example not allow nomination talks once in a while. The US version is all about aliances and good people end up evicted because of this.

On the other hand, I like the US competitions better, although they are predictable; the UK version should have something similar to veto and food competition. Also when people screw up with the food budget, those that mess it up for the rest should be punished... similar to the have nots concept in BBUS.

The most refreshing thing about BBUK are the people, this show develops peoples characters more than the US version. The diary room visits show us alot, so we become more invested in these people. The US does not do this very well, so there isnt such a cult following. I must say though, that the UK peeps seem to polite, to sweet... no one really wants to be bold or cause real fights/drama as in the US version.

All in all, I think we can borrow ideas from eachother... I also agree that we gravitate towards whats different, and could be why UK peeps like the US version and the US peeps, like the UK version.

PS: Im not sure like the audience voting though because it skews results to wards one demographic - Usualy the youngsters. This causes a popularity contest aspect i dont like.... maybe there is a way to mix both.
I so agree.. I would also like to see BBUK stop the bad language,every other word is a curse word,it's like a disease....I don't think there is a need for it.

Last edited by dyfed; 10-11-2011 at 10:43 PM.
dyfed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:00 AM #30

Favourites:
BBUSA16: Derrick

Favourites:
BBUSA16: Derrick

UK without a doubt. I haven't really liked a US season since 7.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:00 AM #31
American Nightmare

Favourites (more):
BB13: Deana
BB12: Maisy
American Nightmare

Favourites (more):
BB13: Deana
BB12: Maisy

The US Version is 100% Rubbish that panders to brain dead people. The UK version is far superior.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:50 AM #32

Hello! We too are watching BBUK for the first time and I must say we love it. Also, watching from the US.
I prefer the UK version hands down. Like other comments a blend of the two would be perfect. Broadcast every night? Brilliant! The US version is highly edited and only on 3 nights a week...lame. (That pisses me off about Survivor too, once a week? It could be so much better).
I love the crazy tasks they give the UK housemates VS the US competitions but again a little of both would be great.
Amazing, the amount of money spent. Don't think I'd go so far as to spend money on votes though.
Oh, and the Celebrity BB...damn! Love that Paddy!
Diatom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:53 AM #33
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
BB13 USA: Rachel
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

I think emotions run higher in BBUSA because they are battling each other and lying to each other.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:20 AM #34

Uk 100 times better < i live in the usa and this is my first season of bbuk it towers over yhe usa version
newyorkjgjg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 AM #35
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

For the people who call BBUSA rubbish I'd ask them to find one episode of BBUK that is as entertaining and dramatic as BBUSA Season 6, episode 18. Anyone who hasn't looked into BB USA should watch this episode and, even without the backstory, if they're not impressed then BB USA is not for you. I think this episode blows anything BBUK out of the water.

Liberty4eva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:04 AM #36
Challenge Destroyer

Favourites:
BB14: Gina
BB14 USA: Dan
Challenge Destroyer

Favourites:
BB14: Gina
BB14 USA: Dan

BB US Season 6 was the best season ever.

Janelle was amazing that season.

That season alone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BBUK combined
SoBig is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:33 AM #37

As a Canadian who has the US BB broadcasted to my TV each year...I hate it. I don't watch it, and can't stand to be in the room to hear it when my wife watches it. It seems so fake, edited, scripted, and full of actors.

I have been downloading BBUK from bit torrents since the year Anthony won
axxerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 AM #38
Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Canadian too, and while I can agree that BBUS Season 6 was good, it has really been all down hill from there.
I far Far FAR prefer UK over US. US has become too predictable with alliances from day one setting the stage for the outcome every time.
What I like best about UK is the people's vote ( that I wish I could be apart of b/c if I had Harry would not have left), the not discussing nominations (which didn't apply this year), and the after shows. The only thing US beats UK in is challenges are more intense.
One last note, with UK I am addicted from the beginning, but once it gets down too the final 5, it becomes boring. With US, I can usually skip the first half of the season and still get everything I need from it for entertainment out of the last 1/3 b/c that's when it ramps up.
You've entered the post apocalyptic ruins of a site about a dead show, where every battle imaginable has already been fought a hundred times over. A cynical world of hardened arseholes where the mods have stopped caring, and the administrator is watching Tetris championships while the rest of us bicker in here.
Mokka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 AM #39
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokkajava View Post
Canadian too, and while I can agree that BBUS Season 6 was good, it has really been all down hill from there.
I far Far FAR prefer UK over US. US has become too predictable with alliances from day one setting the stage for the outcome every time.
What I like best about UK is the people's vote ( that I wish I could be apart of b/c if I had Harry would not have left), the not discussing nominations (which didn't apply this year), and the after shows. The only thing US beats UK in is challenges are more intense.
One last note, with UK I am addicted from the beginning, but once it gets down too the final 5, it becomes boring. With US, I can usually skip the first half of the season and still get everything I need from it for entertainment out of the last 1/3 b/c that's when it ramps up.
The only season that I would call too predictable was season 12 with the brigade. Last year there were no close votes. This season there were many close votes and there was more fighting. Who could have predicted Shelly would backstab her favorite houseguest ever, Jeff? Who could have predicted she would vote for Rachel to win Big Brother and be the swing vote to do so? Rachel making it to the final 2 is almost a miracle.
Liberty4eva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:18 AM #40

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece(: View Post
im from the uk and love the usa version much more, its not only drama but strategy and tactics as well, there are also lots of crazy housemates too

bbus>bbuk
Thiiiiiiiiiiiiissss

Old 11-11-2011, 07:21 AM #41

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBig View Post
BB US Season 6 was the best season ever.

Janelle was amazing that season.

That season alone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BBUK combined
was ruined by the fact Maggie won
Old 11-11-2011, 07:22 AM #42

This is a tough one for me to answer. I see positives and negatives in each format.

I think generally speaking, the UK version does a better job of picking more interesting housemates. The 8 non-all star housemates in this last US season had the personality of boiled cabbage. I think you could randomly pick people off the street and end up with a better show 99 times out of 100.

I LOVE how the UK version gets put on 7 nights a week and then has BoTS and other shows that spend a lot of time talking about BB. It really feels like (at least from an outsider's perspective) that BB is more widely known and discussed in the UK.

Personally, I enjoy the strategic aspect of the US version way more. In the UK it is seen as a negative if you are thought to be "playing the game" or if you have a gameplan. Since when is it a negative quality to want to do well at things?

I also like how it's possible to remove yourself from the eviction vote by winning a competition, however it has been pretty obvious recently how easy it is for the production staff to stack the odds in favor of selected housemates. Without question, that is a HUGE negative of BB US if you are operating under the assumption that it is a "reality" show. Then again, BB UK has had it's share of blatant manipulation through editing as well. Actually, now that I think about it, BB AU was pretty bad about this too. I suppose it's too much to ask to have a true reality show that hasn't been edited to show someone's idea of what reality should be.

I do like how the UK version allows you more potential to see the real personalities of the housemates. In the US version they are almost always playing the game, and while, as I said above, I don't think that's a bad thing, there is definitely something to be said for just observing the social aspect of the situation.

Obviously the down side of the US version is that it's entirely possible for the "wrong" person to win. At least with the UK version, the majority of the viewers will be happy with the outcome. In the US, it's possible that almost nobody will be happy with the winner. Someone mentioned S6 and one of the last great seasons, and I do agree, but even in that great season, the winner was one of the most disliked housemates in BB history.

I don't know what the perfect BB solution would be like. I do like it when BB UK allows their housemates to talk about discussions. It does have a more US/strategy feel to it, but I can see where, if the public still has 100% control over who goes, all the strategy in the world isn't going to matter. Personally, my favorite series of any BB I've watched was BBUS 8 with Evel Dick and America's housemate. The public had just enough say in that season, by controlling one player's votes/actions that the "right" housemate won while still having tons of gameplay and strategy. Maybe something like that might work for the next series of BB UK.
US Nacho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:26 AM #43

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARING View Post
The US Version is 100% Rubbish that panders to brain dead people. The UK version is far superior.
Wow, you think the British version caters to an intelligent audience?

Greats of Big Brother

BBAU9 Estelle [avatar]
BBAU8 Brigitte
BBAU7 Aleisha
BBUS 13 Rachel
BBUK11 - Sunshine
BBUK10 - Marcus
BBUK9 - Stephanie
BBUK7 - Jennie
BBUK6 - Sam
BBUK5 - Victor
BBUK4 - Nush
Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 AM #44

Never watched a single second of footage from the US show nor do I intend to. It just doesn't interest me.
PooBay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 AM #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I prefer the Orwell verson. Chuck them all in Room 101. I'd tune in for that, definitely.
Unfortunately it will never work the same way as it did at the beginning. All of the contestants now are too aware of the media attention they hope to get after the show and most of them are in for the after show benefits.
threedoggies is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 AM #46

I have enjoyed this series because it has been a lot of strategy and tactics but not as obvious as the US version.

As long as a section of the viewers still believe that any of the HMs are being real and vote for them for that reason it will probably not change much from what it is at this point. Which is a good thing. Those of us who enjoy the strategy and tactics and see the HMs for what they are doing get what they want and those who don't see it get what they want out of the show.

Last edited by threedoggies; 11-11-2011 at 08:35 AM.
threedoggies is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:41 AM #47

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Nacho View Post
I think generally speaking, the UK version does a better job of picking more interesting housemates.
Not this year, it was a crap selection. And on top of that they are just presented as caricatures in a comedy anyway.

Quote:
It really feels like (at least from an outsider's perspective) that BB is more widely known and discussed in the UK.
Less so than it used to be.

Quote:
Personally, I enjoy the strategic aspect of the US version way more. In the UK it is seen as a negative if you are thought to be "playing the game" or if you have a gameplan.
Not necessarily, Victor was appreciated for instance. But too many of the gameplayers have no originality, and the show is just presented as a comedy where all the HMs are just a joke anyway.

Quote:
I also like how it's possible to remove yourself from the eviction vote by winning a competition, however it has been pretty obvious recently how easy it is for the production staff to stack the odds in favor of selected housemates. Without question, that is a HUGE negative of BB US if you are operating under the assumption that it is a "reality" show. Then again, BB UK has had it's share of blatant manipulation through editing as well. Actually, now that I think about it, BB AU was pretty bad about this too. I suppose it's too much to ask to have a true reality show that hasn't been edited to show someone's idea of what reality should be.
It's never been a show completely about 'reality'. However reduce it to caricature like the British version has become and it just looks trash.

Quote:
I do like how the UK version allows you more potential to see the real personalities of the housemates. In the US version they are almost always playing the game, and while, as I said above, I don't think that's a bad thing, there is definitely something to be said for just observing the social aspect of the situation.
I think there is some social aspect to the American version. And the British version is not interested in real personalities, it didn't pick people that are that complex this year, and as in every year it just presents them as caricatures.

Quote:
Obviously the down side of the US version is that it's entirely possible for the "wrong" person to win. At least with the UK version, the majority of the viewers will be happy with the outcome. In the US, it's possible that almost nobody will be happy with the winner.
You'll never please everyone with the winner in whatever version. There have been winners in the British version who most of the audience might not have liked that much and certainly wanted their other favourites to win more. Also remember not all those who watch vote, most people probably don't vote. And the show is surely about the series as a whole and not simply who is the last one.

Quote:
I don't know what the perfect BB solution would be like. I do like it when BB UK allows their housemates to talk about discussions. It does have a more US/strategy feel to it, but I can see where, if the public still has 100% control over who goes, all the strategy in the world isn't going to matter.
There is strategy in both versions. And though they can't discuss nominations in the British one they can still heavily influence indirectly by saying to someone they like or dislike this HM or that group etc.

Greats of Big Brother

BBAU9 Estelle [avatar]
BBAU8 Brigitte
BBAU7 Aleisha
BBUS 13 Rachel
BBUK11 - Sunshine
BBUK10 - Marcus
BBUK9 - Stephanie
BBUK7 - Jennie
BBUK6 - Sam
BBUK5 - Victor
BBUK4 - Nush
Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 AM #48

I like the usa version better.
The head of house is great and the food is done better.Plus i like veto too and the drama it brings.
But i like our way of nominating more.I think a mix would be perfect.Say if the hoh was imune and put 1 housmate up for eviction and everyone else voted like normal and vote 2 more.so 3 are up and the audience save 1 and then the house evicts 1 out of the 2 left.
I am fed up of uk housemates bum licking eachother for the whole show in fear of looking bad on the outside.This way they will be forced to play the game a bit more.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:46 AM #49

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I also like how it's possible to remove yourself from the eviction vote by winning a competition
I forgot to say that they actually did this in the 10th (previous) series of the British version, unfortunately they scrapped it in this latest and I think weaker series.

Greats of Big Brother

BBAU9 Estelle [avatar]
BBAU8 Brigitte
BBAU7 Aleisha
BBUS 13 Rachel
BBUK11 - Sunshine
BBUK10 - Marcus
BBUK9 - Stephanie
BBUK7 - Jennie
BBUK6 - Sam
BBUK5 - Victor
BBUK4 - Nush
Old 11-11-2011, 02:41 PM #50
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
was ruined by the fact Maggie won
I don't think people disliked Maggie it's just that people liked the Soverign alliance better. Ivette was, hands down, the face of everything that people hated about the Friendship alliance. Ivette should have taken Janelle to the final 2 and evicted Maggie if she wanted a better shot at winning. Like James said, she chose friendship with someone she knew for 2 months over 450 thousand dollars.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
big brother, uk