Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:03 PM #1
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Default Cancer denial 'killing thousands'

Quote:
Cancer fear and denial 'is killing thousands'

By Michelle Roberts
Health reporter, BBC News

Thousands of people in the UK are dying unnecessarily because they are too scared to mention early symptoms of cancer to their doctor, say experts.

A survey of 2,000 for Cancer Research UK suggests 40% might delay getting symptoms checked out because they are worried what the doctor might find.

Yet early diagnosis is key to treating cancer successfully.

Data suggest that if Great Britain matched Europe's best cancer survival rate 11,500 deaths could be avoided.

Prof Peter Johnson of Cancer Research UK said: "Our report highlights just how much more we have to do to raise awareness about the early signs of cancer.

"If patients are diagnosed when the cancer is still in its early stages before it has had a chance to spread to other parts of the body it is more likely that treatment will be successful. That is why it is so important for people to be aware of things that might be early signs of cancer."

"We know that in many cases these things won't turn out to be cancer. But don't take the gamble of missing out on early diagnosis”

The poll findings suggest a quarter of patients might delay seeing their GP with symptoms because they fear they could be wasting their doctor's time.

And many do not recognise which symptoms may suggest cancer.

More than three-quarters of people asked to list possible warning signs and symptoms of cancer failed to mention pain, coughing or problems with bowels or bladder.

And more than two-thirds also failed to list bleeding.

Prof Johnson said: "Of course we are all frightened of hearing that we may have cancer. But people need to know that catching the disease early gives them much better odds of surviving it.

"The best precaution anyone can take is to be on the lookout for any changes in their bodies that seem unusual for them and to get them checked by a doctor.

"We know that in many cases these things won't turn out to be cancer. But don't take the gamble of missing out on early diagnosis."

Cancer Research UK has teamed up with Tesco to raise £10m to fund 32 early diagnosis research projects across the UK. Cancer Research UK leaflets on early signs of cancer will be on display at the store's checkouts.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17257900

It's never too late to be who you once could have been...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:06 PM #2
75% Trish

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB14: Charlie
75% Trish

Favourites (more):

-suddenly feels 800 different pains in body that might be cancerous-
fruit_cake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 PM #3
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

No one in the very early stages would suppose they had cancer though would they? We all have times where we feel run down, get the trots or constipation and the odd niggly pain and a silly cough. More obvious signs like lumps and bleeding then maybe.
Its such a pain(pardon the pun) taking time off and acctually getting into the doctors that puts some iff i bet.
It does not help either when you read media stories of those who made many trips to the doctors only to come away wth paracetamol, then recieve a diagnosis when its too late.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:23 PM #4
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

I have a fear of doctors and hospitals that stems from my childhood and encountering close deaths so early on. I avoid the doctors at all costs (I have this fear that they may find something that I don't want to know about). I imagine a lot of other people feel the same as me.

It's never too late to be who you once could have been...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:12 PM #5

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):

It makes no difference even if you do take notice of early signs and go to the doctor if, like my poor brother last year, you are told it's just IBS, or gastroenteritis. Finally after being fobbed off by his doctor for months and after several delayed hospital appointments and lengthy waits for scans, he was then told he had terminal cancer and had just weeks to live. Yes, a true story. Having been to his GP in July 2010 with early signs of adrenocortical cancer, by the time it was diagnosed it was too far advanced for him to have any treatment other than palliative. It took them till May 2011 to diagnose and he died last July.

So it's not always because people don't recognise there's something not right with themselves, it's often also about doctors misdiagnosing because a certain set of symptoms conveniently fit something more easily treatable. I would suggest that if anyone is not happy with a GP's diagnosis they always seek a second and even third opinion. Doctors are fallible, but some are better than others.

5 Kings: 1 throne
Angus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:14 PM #6

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:

Stubborn and idiotic people.

Sorry but it does annoy me when people, especially adult men, don't go to the GP if they have a problem with their bodies/health. It just seems completely stupid to not go to the doctors.

Having read what you have just said Angus I am truly sorry and I hope nothing I've just typed has upset you or angered you, I wasnt calling your brother an idiot as he clearly went and got it checked out. I don't understand why people wouldn't go to the GP, they are there to help.

Last edited by Marc; 06-03-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:32 PM #7

Sorry to hear that Angus, those kind of stories appear to happen far too often. You'd think with the developments in science and technology nowadays that diagnosing things would be quicker and more accurate as time goes on but just goes to show you can't account for people getting too lazy in their job.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:09 PM #8

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Stubborn and idiotic people.

Sorry but it does annoy me when people, especially adult men, don't go to the GP if they have a problem with their bodies/health. It just seems completely stupid to not go to the doctors.

Having read what you have just said Angus I am truly sorry and I hope nothing I've just typed has upset you or angered you, I wasnt calling your brother an idiot as he clearly went and got it checked out. I don't understand why people wouldn't go to the GP, they are there to help.
No of course you have not upset me at all. You're absolutely right about people often being in denial about what is going on with their own bodies. Nobody wants to hear bad news but surely if there's the slightest suspicion there's something wrong it is better to get treatment as early as possible. Sadly some people bury their heads in the sand and hope it will all go away or others, like my brother, accept the first diagnosis they get and don't question it.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:11 PM #9

Favourites:

Favourites:

It's sad.

But it's your body, it's the one thing that's keeping you alive, living in this world. Why not make sure it's on top form, seems silly
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:13 PM #10

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08marsh View Post
Sorry to hear that Angus, those kind of stories appear to happen far too often. You'd think with the developments in science and technology nowadays that diagnosing things would be quicker and more accurate as time goes on but just goes to show you can't account for people getting too lazy in their job.
Thanks. The whole family are still pretty angry about it and we are still considering further action against the medical professionals involved who appeared to have been negligent in diagnosing and treating him. To be fair he did have a rare cancer, but my belief is that some doctors are all too ready to attribute symptoms to some disease that is easier to deal with (and cheaper for their local NHS budget), instead of having any inclination to investigate further.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:28 PM #11
75% Trish

Favourites (more):
75% Trish

Favourites (more):

the same thing happened to a friend of mine last year, she was diagnosed with cervical cancer about three years ago but was messed around for ages beforehand being told she was fine. She also died last year, she'd been given the all clear only to be then told a few months later it was actually terminal when she complained of further pains.

It makes me wonder if they have the faintest idea what they're doing at all. Another reason not to blindly trust the state and it's supposed 'expert' agents, not that I'm trying to discuss that again in here Angus

Last edited by fruit_cake; 06-03-2012 at 03:29 PM.
fruit_cake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
cancer, denial, killing, thousands