Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB4 Cameron, Ray, Scott, Jon Tickle, Nush and the others from Big Brother 4 in 2003.

Old 25-07-2003, 02:31 PM #1

Default Orkney says \'go, Cameron, go\'

As Big Brother finalist Cameron Stout gets ready for eviction night, friends, family and residents back home in Orkney cannot contain their excitement.
Huge banners and window posters are urging the islands' 20,000 residents to vote for the 32-year-old to win the fourth series of the Channel 4 reality show.

Several pubs have organised screenings of the contest and the Stromness Hotel has adorned the front of its building with the message "Go Cameron Go".

Fish trader Cameron's successful run in the Big Brother house is also set to pay dividends for the local economy and now the local tourist board want to recruit him as an Orkney ambassador.

Barbara Foulkes, chief executive of Orkney Islands Tourist Board, said that in June there were three million hits and 23,000 visits on the organisation's website.

When the programme began I thought it was boring but the psychology of it intrigued me, because why is that half way through did I become hooked and look forward to seeing it in the evenings

Doris Stout
Cameron's mother
"It's hard to say how much of that has been down to Cameron, but what we have been able to tell is that it seems people have been logging on at work during the day.

"If there had been an increase in non-domestic interest, say from North America, then the visits would have been logged in the middle of the night.

"But because they're coming in from 9am-5pm, we can tell people from the UK have been logging on."

She added: "Cameron-mania here has reached fever pitch.

"Who knows what Cameron might do after Big Brother, but I doubt he would want to change his lifestyle. He is very grounded.

"The Cameron Stout you see on the television is exactly the same Cameron Stout you see in real life."

Cameron is a fish trader on Orkney
Cameron mania has been building on Orkney for some time now, mainly since the odds on the self-confessed Christian winning fell from 33-1 to 10-1.

On Thursday an Orkney version of the programme, called the "Big Brither Hoose", was staged on the island.

Cameron's mother Doris, who has travelled to London for the Friday event, says she cannot wait to see her son.

She said: "Whatever happens, he will not change for anyone, he will be himself - that's just him."

Doris confessed she thought Cameron, who lives in Stromness, was crazy to join the programme.

"I thought he would be better going to prison because at least there he would have newspapers, television and radio.

"When the programme began I thought it was boring but the psychology of it intrigued me, because why is that half way through did I become hooked and look forward to seeing it in the evenings.

"I still thought it was boring so it's quite clever I suppose."

She added that while she had not seen the three previous series, Cameron had always been a huge fan.

this is from the bbc website Click Here for article
the AOL poll has Cameron way ahead so it looks like it's Cameron win! I'm still not sure myself if i want Cameron to win BB4!?!?!?
Amy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-07-2003, 09:02 PM #2

He's a local hero now
Although, if he wins - it's the end of BB for me
Kuhli is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
'go, cameron, go', orkney