Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB10 Celebrity Big Brother 10 on Channel 5, shown August 2012 was won by Julian Clary. Discuss here.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:00 PM #26

Julian has a joke/ script writer whos been working with him for 30+ years. Jamie East met him - conroversially - he seemed to be the ONLY family n friend Jamie East met. Dont recall Jamie meeting any of Danicas Harveys Martins or Ashleys family n ftiends...just Julians (who also was one of the first and few HMs that we saw live do live noms)

Last edited by alex_front2; 10-09-2012 at 09:02 PM.
alex_front2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:10 AM #27
User banned

User banned

Sometimes we brits do come across as if we think we own irony. Its pretty arrogant and embarassing at times. The yanks have produced endless legendary comics , comedy shows and comedians. Its pretty ironic that so called ironic comics like julian clary cant recognixe this in others.
I just found clary's entire performance, so utterly predictable, shallow and forgettable
I could have said pretty much word for word , what he would say and do in the house, how he would behave and that the british audience would of course vote him as the winner regardless of how cold boring and judgemental he was

as for lorenzo, he was a good guy, he had a sense of humour, I think the accusation of dullness was totally unfounded and prejudged.
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:30 AM #28

Julian found Lozza dull as he probably didnt find him hilarious..Julian said it himself -comedians thrive on the 'applause'.

Julians humour in a nutshell

- puns on gay sex acts
- look how gay i am
- straight things like sport are awful and dull (dont tell cbb gareth thomas that being a ex rugby star isnt gay)
- this straight guy is secretly gay
- straight people cant dress well
- womens bodies/ straight sex are gross, yep you've guessed it julians gay
Old 11-09-2012, 05:24 AM #29

Why is it always finding something tired and outdated gets rewritten as "not getting it" when it's painfully obvious that it's nothing more than being tired and outdated? I get Julian's jokes. I found the genre funny...30 years ago. His contemporaries from that time have moved on. Even if they work in a niche, they've kept their material up to date and topical.

In the US, the LOGO channel is devoted 24/7 to nothing but LGBT programming. That includes countless shows starring comedians, doing stand-up, chat, skit, etc. Julian's act isn't sophisticated enough to warrant a 30 second bumper between commercials on that channel. Then there are all the mainstream programs featuring gay or lesbian stars on all the network channels.

The only place anyone is laughing at material like Julian's anymore is on RuPaul's Drag Race, except they're using it to be ironic.
Indy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 AM #30
Keyser Suze

Keyser Suze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Why is it always finding something tired and outdated gets rewritten as "not getting it" when it's painfully obvious that it's nothing more than being tired and outdated? I get Julian's jokes. I found the genre funny...30 years ago. His contemporaries from that time have moved on. Even if they work in a niche, they've kept their material up to date and topical.

In the US, the LOGO channel is devoted 24/7 to nothing but LGBT programming. That includes countless shows starring comedians, doing stand-up, chat, skit, etc. Julian's act isn't sophisticated enough to warrant a 30 second bumper between commercials on that channel. Then there are all the mainstream programs featuring gay or lesbian stars on all the network channels.

The only place anyone is laughing at material like Julian's anymore is on RuPaul's Drag Race, except they're using it to be ironic.
I don't agree, as I haven't seen many if any state that not getting Julian's humour has anything to do with tired and outdated, as we have seen many a time that tired and outdated can suddenly become the new/latest in thing, for the very fact it becomes new and in again. This happens with fashion all the time, and furniture/decor. A revival of past trends suddenly the next best thing, the same goes with comics also and other stuff.

Julian's humour therefore is nothing to do with tired and outdated, it simply is as with most comedians and such the fact if you don't get them you probably never will, as we all enjoys different types of humour, some the toilet humour, some the darker humour, some the sick humour, and the list goes on. I like Julian's brand of humour, as well as a few other Comedians humour, amongst the different types of humour. It all has to do with that. Julian has fans of differing ages, as do all comedians. And Julian also has a, may I point out again, sellout tour at the moment, he is hardly a hasbeen in the sense of the word.

And for those who have sometimes felt the need to justify their favourites losing the last CBB, as Julian fans voting for him because of liking him beforehand, well yes, that does happen with housemates for a few, but some watching probably won't have heard of Julian, so will vote because they liked him as a housemate as will most. I know I liked him before he went in, however if I had found him to be a boring, unentertaining housemate, I would not have continued to want him to win unless there were no better housemates in there, as it is he didn't disappoint in the CBB house. I liked the fact that he didn't see fit to carry through his comedy persona rather than his natural persona which he knows very well is seperate from his stage act. He was simply himself, and quite a loveable himself at that. So for some to state he was voted for mainly anything but that by his fans, is a slight to both Julian and his fans, and quite seriously a taste of sour grapes seeping through even.

Just to add also, many Comedian's have material written for them for all different reasons, one being they can be far too busy to write any, all, or most of their material, so in real life off the cuff wittisism's are their own, and that is why they do well in their chosen career, because they can carry their comedy acts through so well.

"Live for today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come" - Author unknown

Last edited by Suze; 11-09-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Suze is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM #31
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
I don't agree, as I haven't seen many if any state that not getting Julian's humour has anything to do with tired and outdated, as we have seen many a time that tired and outdated can suddenly become the new/latest in thing, for the very fact it becomes new and in again. This happens with fashion all the time, and furniture/decor. A revival of past trends suddenly the next best thing, the same goes with comics also and other stuff.

Julian's humour therefore is nothing to do with tired and outdated, it simply is as with most comedians and such the fact if you don't get them you probably never will, as we all enjoys different types of humour, some the toilet humour, some the darker humour, some the sick humour, and the list goes on. I like Julian's brand of humour, as well as a few other Comedians humour, amongst the different types of humour. It all has to do with that. Julian has fans of differing ages, as do all comedians. And Julian also has a, may I point out again, sellout tour at the moment, he is hardly a hasbeen in the sense of the word.

And for those who have sometimes felt the need to justify their favourites losing the last CBB, as Julian fans voting for him because of liking him beforehand, well yes, that does happen with housemates for a few, but some watching probably won't have heard of Julian, so will vote because they liked him as a housemate as will most. I know I liked him before he went in, however if I had found him to be a boring, unentertaining housemate, I would not have continued to want him to win unless there were no better housemates in there, as it is he didn't disappoint in the CBB house. I liked the fact that he didn't see fit to carry through his comedy persona rather than his natural persona which he knows very well is seperate from his stage act. He was simply himself, and quite a loveable himself at that. So for some to state he was voted for mainly anything but that by his fans, is a slight to both Julian and his fans, and quite seriously a taste of sour grapes seeping through even.

Just to add also, many Comedian's have material written for them for all different reasons, one being they can be far too busy to write any, all, or most of their material, so in real life off the cuff wittisism's are their own, and that is why they do well in their chosen career, because they can carry their comedy acts through so well.

Sorry this is utter nonsense. Almost everyone gets Julians humour. Its about as obvious and basic as it gets. It lacks any subtlety, originality or depth. Added to this , he doesnt actually get to know people and therefore his comedic interactions lack any depth or dimensions. the great comics have infinitely more depth and variety. they study and observe people and situations and the world around them. whether it be the geniuses like larry david, chris rock, bill hicks, billy connolly, richard pryor, or less famous but brilliant observational comics like rhod gilbert or omad djilili too study and observe situations and peoples idiocincracies. These comics are a joy to behold.

Sorry by julians stale bitter outdated material is not just unfunny its a bit unpleasant and judgemental too.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:57 AM #32
Keyser Suze

Keyser Suze

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
Sorry this is utter nonsense. Almost everyone gets Julians humour. Its about as obvious and basic as it gets. It lacks any subtlety, originality or depth. Added to this , he doesnt actually get to know people and therefore his comedic interactions lack any depth or dimensions. the great comics have infinitely more depth and variety. they study and observe people and situations and the world around them. whether it be the geniuses like larry david, chris rock, bill hicks, billy connolly, richard pryor, or less famous but brilliant observational comics like rhod gilbert or omad djilili too study and observe situations and peoples idiocincracies. These comics are a joy to behold.

Sorry by julians stale bitter outdated material is not just unfunny its a bit unpleasant and judgemental too.

It is not utter nonsense at all. You have your opinion, I have mine. I gave good, valid, solid, reasons. Just because you do not agree with them does not make them wrong and yours right. Should I slate your views by calling them utter nonsense?

"Live for today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come" - Author unknown

Last edited by Suze; 11-09-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Suze is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 PM #33

Favourites:
CBB 13: Jim Davidson

Favourites:
CBB 13: Jim Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
julian isnt that funny, but hes also not that nice or warm either. hes narrow minded and a total hypocrite too. the way he tried to say all hetro men are bores and did the usual Im too amrt and funny for american routines. everything he did and said was unoriginal and 30 years out of date. is he was likebale, warm, nice open minded he may have got away with it, but he isnt any of those things. his after show interview he had nothing left to say after a few minutes. very dull. I thought brian was far wittier, warmer, funnier and more likeable in their interview. whereas lorenzo seemed a genuinely nice interesting well rounded bloke. Im interested to know more about.
I agree, I also didn't like how patronising he was to mike
coolface is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:30 PM #34
User banned

User banned

Quote:
It is not utter nonsense at all. You have your opinion, I have mine. I gave good, valid, solid, reasons. Just because you do not agree with them does not make them wrong and yours right. Should I slate your views by calling them utter nonsense?
I didnt insult you personally, I just thought that particular point you made was nonsense. sorry if that offends you.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM #35
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolface View Post
I agree, I also didn't like how patronising he was to mike
he didnt give mike the tiniest chance to get to know each other. mike made the effort, he was warm and open. julian was cold and premjudging. particularly upsetting when he preaches hos narrow minded and boring hetrosexual men are, when he was far more narrow minded and judgemental.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM #36

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

No1curr about what Lorenzo has to say.
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 PM #37
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dagger View Post
No1curr about what Lorenzo has to say.
Clearly from the threads on here, some people do care, so you are wrong.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 PM #38

again i didn't have a problem with julian winning however his humour is a bit crap and tired. there were at least 4 funnier hms - not good when you're supposed to be a comic.

to reiterate russell brand isn't my cup of tea, but he's taken camp comedy and reinvented it. julian is still peddling the same material from 1993. theres a reason he's not on tv these days. shows like queer eye for straight guy, comedies such as gimme gimme gimme and terry and julian don't work anymore as gay men are no longer revered as comedic witty superiors and arbitors of good taste.

Last edited by alex_front2; 11-09-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:00 PM #39
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Julian is very dry, he is witty and i love him
Old 11-09-2012, 03:05 PM #40

my gran loves julian as do loads of pensioners.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:10 PM #41
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_front2 View Post
my gran loves julian as do loads of pensioners.
good for them, beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 PM #42

yep just goes to show humour is changing - new generation etc
Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 AM #43

Quote:

So are you psychic, and therefore able to tell who does and does not "get" his humor, even when they plainly say (as at least 3 people have in this thread) that his act is old and stale? Once upon a time, Julian was funny. So were the other 20 or 30 "known" comedians who did similar acts. In the meantime, those 20 or 30 other comedians have either moved on to more current material or faded into obscurity, leaving one or two to cling to their former fame like an over the hill Vegas act in an off-the-strip Holiday Inn.

Once upon a time, Jaleel White made millions for wearing horn rimmed glasses and snorting "did I do that?". In 2012 he presents a game show, where he delivers funny lines, but doesn't have to rely on his 1994 schtick. Just because Urkel is "remembered" doesn't mean people still laugh when they hear his catchphrase. Just because Julian's painfully obvious gay humor got a laugh 30 years ago, doesn't mean people still find it funny, outside the nostalgia factor.
Indy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 AM #44
User banned

User banned

yeah anyone who doesnt find him funny or likeable is clearly too dumb to understand the genius of hiw work. work which has been as memorable a sexual double entendre x 1000 for 20 odd years and nothing else. its not just his shallow predictable material, its him. hes not a warm, chatty, likeable man imho
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 PM #45

Nope when Julian did it on Saturday Night Live in mid 1980s he was one of the better acts (not tough when he was on bill with then Labour lovey Ben Elton and Harry Enfield's very overrated and ubiquitous "Loadsa Money" and Stavros characters). He was more overtly outlandish than previous camp/ gay comics eg Frankie Howard, Larry Grayson etc. Sure the 1993 comedy awards hurt him but he never really came back as by the time he was "forgiven" for the Lamont/ f*sting comments in 2000s his style - once seen as edgy - was out of date. Julian relied on straight female style blunders and straight male homophobia and mens discomfort with gays to get jokes as i said before straight guys have few issues with gays and straight women are more style focussed than 1980s.

Julian has not really changed with times. It's same old same old. Comedy doesnt have to be always topical but he's peddling the same stuff from 1986s and hoping the grannies are too confused to remember. Why cant he accept that gay and straight guys are not really radicaly different. Harvey had a skin beauty regime FFS.

Loved his dig at Julian at 5.50

Last edited by alex_front2; 14-09-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 14-09-2012, 02:21 PM #46

Lozza on XFactorUS

Lorenzo Borghese ‏@LBorghese
What's up with tv? The x factor has simply become american idol with a different name. Its still chicken pic.twitter.com/mzTEFRxw (http://twitter.com/LBorghese/status/...770944/photo/1 - cue Britney picture)

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
humour, julian, lorenzo