Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:07 PM #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novo View Post

That's not even one of the 5 we're about to remove!
Claymores is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:10 PM #52

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymores View Post
That's not even one of the 5 we're about to remove!

"She was left for dead on the sands of Tatooine, as was I. But fate sometimes steps in to rescue the wretched."
Novo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:26 PM #53

Paul Gascoigne*is said to be recovering in hospital following a bad reaction to alcohol withdrawal.

Read more:*http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...ixzz2KWQauliV*
Mrluvaluva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:57 PM #54

wait, paul glasjirefiunsgriu won the super bowl? what?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 PM #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
Most people don't know how dangerous alcohol withdrawal is. Actually its much more dangerous to come off of alcohol than even coming off of heroin. No one has ever died from heroin withdrawals, but it's very common for people withdrawing from alcohol to have seizures and die.

The brain actually gets used to operatting normal functions like brain funtions, heart functions and lung functions on alcohol, and if you suddenly stop, the body doesn't know how to deal with it, and can literally cause the body to go into shock cause yur body is like "i thought i knew what i was doing, and now all of a sudden things have changed. The body literally freaks out.

No one who is a heavy drinker should stop cold turkey.
Well what did this - so called de-tox think it was doing then ?
He must have been on the edge of death anyway , cos surely this well known clinic wouldn't have risked his life by total withdrawal - maybe he was closer than anyone realised !!
hijaxers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:09 PM #56
User banned

User banned

too many ex addicts are given too many positions of responsibility imho...id rather have experts in the field with good values and experience fo livinga cleaner better life
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:39 PM #57
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

You are right again,Lostalex you have to gradually cut down the alcohol intake and then stop.
Best to be guided by a professional but if someone is strong enough and has the right support from Friends and/or family then they can be successful as Kizzy pointed out earlier but to stop straight away, as you say, can cause all sorts of complications and even death.

Last edited by joeysteele; 10-02-2013 at 10:39 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:11 PM #58

Default Paul Gascoigne recovering after spell in intensive care

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21401141

Quote:
Gascoigne, 45, was taken to hospital after suffering a bad reaction while in Arizona where he is receiving treatment for alcohol addiction.

But his long-term psychotherapist Dr John McKeown said "The hospital has reassured me that he is up and about walking,".

Dr McKeown, who has worked with Gascoigne for more than 10 years, added: "Paul has experienced severe complications with his detoxification.

"This is not unusual for someone who has been drinking as heavily as he has.

"Paul was transferred from the US Clinic Cottonwood to a local hospital to be monitored so as to be completely satisfied that there are no other complications to his health.

"There are no fears for his life. We will aim to keep everyone concerned updated on a regular basis."

Gascoigne's former captain at Tottenham Gary Mabbutt told BBC Sport that he could be discharged in "the next day or two".

"He was put in intensive care where they monitored him," said Mabbutt. "But it wasn't a life-threatening situation and he's now in recovery. He will hopefully be leaving hospital in the next day or two and returning to the clinic to carry on the treatment to his problems."
Just another "scare", then .....
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:19 AM #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
you can choose to fight an addiction,people fighting cancer don't get that choice!
umm, that sentence doesn't even make sense. People don't choose to have an addiction, just like people don't choose to have cancer, so what are you talking about? Why would someone choose to have an addiction or cancer. neither one are a choice.

-Both are diseases

-Both have environmental and hereditary components

-Cancer can trigger Addiction (lots of people receive pain medication when undergoing cancer treatments become addicted to the pain meds)

-Addiction can trigger Cancer (lung cancer, bowl cancer, liver cancer, esophageal cancer are all triggered by substance abuse)

Actually addiction and cancer are very similar, so your post is kind of silly. no offense. They are both very deadly diseases, and you can't "choose" to get eigther one. Obviously no one would choose it.

Last edited by lostalex; 11-02-2013 at 12:27 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:32 AM #60
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
umm, that sentence doesn't even make sense. People don't choose to have an addiction, just like people don't choose to have cancer, so what are you talking about? Why would someone choose to have an addiction or cancer. neither one are a choice.

-Both are diseases

-Both have environmental and hereditary components

-Cancer can trigger Addiction (lots of people receive pain medication when undergoing cancer treatments become addicted to the pain meds)

-Addiction can trigger Cancer (lung cancer, bowl cancer, liver cancer, esophageal cancer are all triggered by substance abuse)

Actually addiction and cancer are very similar, so your post is kind of silly. no offense. They are both very deadly diseases.
Stop saying people are silly...
It's not that silly I see the point, even though I know that every addiction is unique to the person experiencing it. There is 99/100 a way back from an addiction if you have the correct support. Certain cancers once established though are unstoppable (for the moment).

I understand the inherant componant but not the environmental?

Last edited by Kizzy; 11-02-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:45 AM #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Stop saying people are silly...
It's not that silly I see the point, even though I know that every addiction is unique to the person experiencing it. There is 99/100 a way back from an addiction if you have the correct support. Certain cancers once established though are unstoppable (for the moment).

I understand the inherant componant but not the environmental?
Umm, actually the vast majority of cancers are survivable Kizzy, i don't know the exact statistics about which is more deadly, cancer or addiction, but i don't think Addiction is as survivable as you think.

But it would be interesting to see the numbers.

And i apologize for using the word silly, now that i read it back, i realize it was patronizing and disrespectful to say.

Last edited by lostalex; 11-02-2013 at 12:46 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:52 AM #62
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Umm, actually the vast majority of cancers are survivable Kizzy, i don't know the exact statistics about which is more deadly, cancer or addiction, but i don't think Addiction is as survivable as you think.

But it would be interesting to see the numbers.

And i apologize for using the word silly, now that i read it back, i realize it was patronizing and disrespectful to say.
That's why I specifically said certain cancers.
If we were to stick to the topic being discussed alcohol, I would have thought that the liver cirrosis has to be very severe to become life threatening, and a transplant would prevent death in many cases?
Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 AM #63
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

deal with your addiction or die!,
just beacuse you where once was famous for being a half decent footballer dont make you better than any other addict who wont fight their addiction.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:06 AM #64
Adios

Adios

-checks my Death List 2013 nominees-

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Glenn. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:10 AM #65
Adios

Adios

Just checked it and I didn't even list him

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Glenn. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:29 AM #66
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Cirrhosis is an irreversable condition of the liver that gradually gets worse until it reaches the final stage and then it is likely death will occur unless a transplant is possible.

A complication of it is that as pressure builds up in the portal vein it can cause bleeding from veins in the oesophagus,those internal bleeds can obviously be fatal too.

Abstention from alcohol is the only way to help survive longer with cirrhosis,however the damage to the liver is permanent, whereas in other conditions the liver can rejuvinate itself but not in cirrhosis.

The usual conditions for a transplant of a liver, when there are livers available are that you have to have been abstaining from alcohol for a good number of months and preferably a year or more.
With cirrhosis your health rarely improves much as you are always likely to find you will have other complications such as enlarged spleens, anaemia and problems with platelets in your blood.

It is a very hard road, firstly to come off alcohol, then to stay off alcohol and indeed certain drugs too,things like paracetamol for instance,are not liver firendly and also when the liver is only working on its reserve,toxins are not removed from the body effectively by it and they can get into the blood stream and cause confusion and memory problems too when they get to the brain.

So Paul's road begins with getting off alcohol and keeping off it, then doing the best you can to help the remaining working part of the liver by dietary means and medication,however liver failure will be the eventual outcome.

So it would seem this is where Paul is at this time,so he will need to prepare himself for a transplant likely some time in the future.
Without that, the prognosis of end stage liver cirrhosis is a grim picture sadly.

From what I have read as to his going into this clinic for treatment and help, it would seem this is the last chance for him likely now, I really hope he does sieze it and I also hope it goes okay for him.

I also hope if he does reach the stage where a transplant is needed in the future and that he gets one, that he will respect that liver and not abuse it in any way afterwards.
I would like to see that outcome for him,he will need massive support though to succeed in beating this.

Last edited by joeysteele; 11-02-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typing error, I typed a w instead of a v so vein read wein.since it was pointed out, I have edited and corrected it.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:30 AM #67

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Cirrhosis is a n irreversable condition of the liver that gradually gets worse until it reaches the final stage and then it is likely death will occur unless a transpalnt is possible.

A complication of it is that as pressure builds up in the portal wein it can cause bleeding from veins in the oesophagus,those internal bleeds can obviously be fatal too.

Abstention from alcohol is the only way to help survive longer with cirrhosis,however the damage to the liver is permanent, whereas in other conditions the liver can rejuvinate itself but not in cirrhosis.

The usual conditions for a transplant of a liver, when there are livers available are that you have to have been abstaining from alcohol for a good number of months and preferably a year or more.
With cirrhosis your health rarely improves much as you are always likely to find you will have other complications such as enlarged spleens, anaemia and problems with platelets in your blood.

It is a very hard road, firstly to come off alcohol, then to stay off alcohol and indeed certain drugs too,things like paracetamol for instance,are not liver firendly and alsowhen the liver is only working on its reserve,toxins are not removed from the body effectively by it and they can get into the blood stream and cause confusion and memory problems too when they get to the brain.

So Paul's road begins with getting off alcohol and keeping off it, then doing the best you can to help the remaining working part of the liver by dietary means and medication,however liver failure will be the eventual outcome.

So it would seem this is where Paul is at this time,so he will need to prepare himself for a transplant likely some time in the future.
Without that, the prognosis of end stage liver cirrhosis is a grim picture sadly.

From what I have read as to his going into this clinic for treatment and help, it would seem this is the last chance for him likely now, I really hope he does sieze it and I also hope it goes okay for him.

I also hope if he does reach the stage where a transplant is needed on the future and that he gets one that he will respect that liver and not abuse it in any way afterwards.
I would like to see that outcome for him,he will need massive support though to succeed in beating this.

Are you a doctor?

Old 11-02-2013, 09:08 AM #68
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omah View Post
Are you a doctor?

No, but one of my Uncles is a consulatant hepatologist.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 AM #69

Arrow

Quote:
No, but one of my Uncles is a consulatant (sic) hepatologist.
I wondered when I couldn't find out what a "portal wein" was .....

I rather think you should have mentioned your source rather than pretend to know all about it .....
Old 11-02-2013, 10:13 AM #70

Quote:
No, but one of my Uncles is a consulatant hepatologist.
good stuff joey - so you're virtually a consultant. My cousin's husband is a GP - when can I start handing out the meds?
Claymores is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:21 AM #71
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omah View Post
I wondered when I couldn't find out what a "portal wein" was .....

I rather think you should have mentioned your source rather than pretend to know all about it .....
Rather childish to point out a typing error, Omah, very below the belt, also since I like to use my own words and my own knowledge gained from talking to people who do know about these things rather than fill the forum with newpaper cuttings.

Perhaps you are right that I should have mentioned that I talked to my Uncle on this issue, he was staying with me yesterday and he is a great admirer of Paul Gascoigne and since I have posted on here on Paul's illness on this thread,I got talking to him as to Paul's likely condition.
So interested in the issue was I that we talked for hours as he explained and 'educated' me as to the likely condition of Paul. So in the end I did gain the knowledge for myself and therefore shared it, never ever stating either that I am an expert on the subject though just sharing what I had learned.

So to everyone reading this post,since Omah has pulled me up again, the post I made above was made after talking at length to a very knowledgable relation of mine who I learned a great deal from as to this subject.

Someone earlier in the thread, I think it was kizzy said something about not being sure of cirrhosis on some points, so although she likely knew a fair bit I feel sure she at least would be interested in parts of the post I made.

We all learn in life Omah, that is in fact where our knowledge on matters comes from, from learning from someone else,that is what I have done and even my knowledge of politics and law comes from learning from others and experiences of going searching for myself for facts as I chose to do with my Uncle on this issue too.

In the end though, because I gain that knowledge, rather than just copy and post what I read,I can then be able to speak about what I learn in my own words,not being offensive but maybe you could try that some time too.
All best wishes to you but I would prefer really if you ignored me as I generally do you Omah especially if you can only be sarcastic and attempt to belittle other people.

Last edited by joeysteele; 11-02-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:25 AM #72
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

The prognosis is better if you can abstain and change your lifestyle as this lady has..
http://www.webmd.boots.com/a-to-z-gu...hree-years-now
"I stopped drinking alcohol completely and haven't touched a drop for three years now. Doctors thought I would need a liver transplant but, remarkably, it has regenerated and functions really well now''

It is a tall order for paul.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:26 AM #73
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..well done on your post and taking the time to learn about the medical facts Joey..I found it a very interesting read....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:34 AM #74
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Rather childish to point out a typing error, Omah, very below the belt, also since I like to use my own words and my own knowledge gained from talking to people who do know about these things rather than fill the forum with newpaper cuttings.

Perhaps you are right that I should have mentioned that I talked to my Uncle on this issue, he was staying with me yesterday and he is a great admirer of Paul Gascoigne and since I have posted on here on Paul's illness on this thread,I got talking to him as to Paul's likely condition.
So interested in the issue was I that we talked for hours as he explained and 'educated' me as to the likely condition of Paul. So in the end I did gain the knowledge for myself and therefore shared it, never ever stating either that I am an expert on the subject though just sharing what I had learned.

So to everyone reading this post,since Omah has pulled me up again, the post I made above was made after talking at length to a very knowledgable relation of mine who I learned a great deal from as to this subject.

Someone earlier in the thread, I think it was kizzy said something about not being sure of cirrhisis on some points, so although she likely knew a fair bit I feel sure she at least would be interested in parts of the post I made.

We all learn in life Omah, that is in fact where our knowledge on matters comes from, from learning from someone else,that is what I have done and even my knowledge of politics and law comes from learning from others and experiences of going searching for myself for facts as I chose to do with my Uncle on this issue too.

In the end though, because I gain that knowledge, rather than just copy and post what I read,I can then be able to speak about what I learn in my own words,not being offensive but maybe you could try that some time too.
All best wishes to you but I would prefer really if you ignored me as I generally do you Omah especially if you can only be sarcastic and attempt to belittle other people.
I was very interested thankyou joey I have been researching for the past hour on the subject haha.
Your reasoned points are what most gravitate towards rather than 'cuttings' it always annoys me when there are snippits of article with no opinion from the OP.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:36 AM #75

Arrow

Quote:

Perhaps you are right that I should have mentioned that I talked to my Uncle on this issue, he is was staying with me yesterday and he is a great admirer of Paul Gascoigne and since I have posted on here on Paul's illness on this thread,I got talking to him as to Paul's likely condition.

Someone earlier in the thread, I think it was kizzy said something about not being sure of cirrhisis on some points, so although she likely knew a fair bit I feel sure she at least would be interested in parts of the post I made.

The problem is that "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and while you paraphrased the gleanings from your "uncle", you repeated them with so many spelling and grammatical mistakes (and possibly technical, too) that I, for one was not taken in, but the more gullible FMs may have inferred from your pomposity that you knew what you were talking about.

As for "your own words", I suspect, again, that for the most part that you are merely regurgitating those of others without recourse to the courtesy of disclosure and acknowledgement.

As for "learning in life", do not try to teach your grandma to suck eggs.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
care, fighting, gascoigne, intensive, life, paul