Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 22-05-2013, 11:22 PM #1
Keyser Suze

Keyser Suze

Default Dom Joly slams Chelmsford

Link to news item

Dom Joly slams Chelmsford after prisoner stunt

A TV prankster has been criticised after comparing Chelmsford residents to criminals.

Dom Joly, the star of candid camera show Trigger Happy TV, openly ridiculed Chelmsford in an opinion piece he wrote for national newspaper The Independent.

In the article, entitled “If You’re A Lag On The Lam, Head To Chelmsford”, Joly described how a day’s filming in the city for his ITV show Fool Britannia did not go to plan.

The 45-year-old dressed as a prison guard set up a stunt where he would talk to people in the street while free runners made to look like cellmates made an acrobatic escape.

However, rather than people trying to warn him about the runaways, Joly was surprised to find passers-by were more supportive of the escapees.

Joly wrote: “I targeted an older man, in his mid-fifties. He seemed very respectable (for Chelmsford) and I started my patter.

“The moment my inmates started escaping, however, he held on to me while shouting "Go on, lads, good luck to ya" as my charges sprinted away along a high roof.

“He then did a disappearing act himself, leaving me to the mocking tones of the camera crew in my earpiece.

“I was determined not to insult any more towns this series but let's put it this way, no move to Chelmsford is on the cards in the immediate future.”

Since the article was published on Sunday, many have criticised the comedian about his comments including Patching Hall councillor Paul Bentham, who tweeted the star.

In return Joly tweeted Mr Bentham was a local councillor “jumping on the bandwagon in a desperate attempt to be relevant”.

The Lib Dem councillor who is originally from the North East said what the TV funnyman said about the city was not fair.

Mr Bentham said: “I think it was unfair whether it was said in a light hearted way or not. It offers the question do we really want have Joly come here?

“I have lived in Chelmsford for six years and I work in Chelmsford and I was elected by residents to represent them at council, so I feel what I have to say is relevant.

“I think what Joly said boils down to a case of sour grapes because the filming didn’t go to plan. But to make that sort of generalisation suggesting people in Chelmsford are criminals is inappropriate.”

"Live for today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come" - Author unknown
Suze is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 11:43 PM #2
Z

Z

One time he called my mum the c word on Twitter
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 11:43 PM #3
Z

Z

And then he blocked her.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 10:37 AM #4
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

If you look up 'Dom Jolly' in the dictionary, it says: smug, self-satisfied, middle-class prick who thinks he's funny but isn't.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 10:39 AM #5
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post