Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 PM #76
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

twenty five.
THE PRODIGY//Start The Dance

sounds like.
A clarion call for nutters everywhere.

it's here because.
"Oi Liam you got some pukka tunes mate but here's the thing see you got no show. Me and my mate here will chum you up and help you out. I'll dance like I'm off me 'ead on pills and he'll shout "where's my fuckin' people?" over all your songs. Great stuff."

That's my story of how The Prodigy started and I'm sticking too it. The Essex rave champions turned career dance monstrosity have achieved stunning longevity and respectability in the often fickle, ever changing world of dance music. Infectious to the point of grabbing anyone and pulling them in regardless of taste, they simply have an awesome sound and if you know anybody that doesn't like them you should probably sever ties.

But which tune to represent them in this countdown. Firestarter was the breakthrough but is a bore in comparison to Breath and Smack My Bitch Up, both from the 1996 smash Fat Of The Land. Omen is too fresh. Charly and No Good too representative of their fun but sign-of-things-to-come rave days.

It's Start The Dance, isn't it. A total rise up anthem designed to bring down your thin, cheap bedroom walls on a Friday night over a few cheap tins.

They're still going strong as a live act you must see before you die. I've had the pleasure. Keith still looks like he hasn't quite come back from that first Glasto, either.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:12 PM #77
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

twenty four.
NYM//Lesser Known Good

sounds like.
The kind of journey that ends in a hot bath.

it's here because.
A rather anonymous entry from an unknown producer who aint even internet famous. I'm confident in my love for this tune though. Confident in it's twenty four placing. It's just one of the most loveliest pieces of music I've ever heard. The first time I heard it was when my friend played it for me over some smokes at his house down by the train station as the sun was coming up. His window overlooks the waterfront. It was magic, man.

I don't know how else to sell it to you, really. It's a really unknown quality. It's just a fantastic piece of ambient grooveage. Don't be tab surfing if you plan on spinning it. Open your ears and stick with it to the end.

It might have been just the drugs.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM #78
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

twenty three.
WARPAINT//Warpaint

sounds like.
The best thing going today.

it's here because.
I think I'm getting to see Warpaint at Electric Picnic this year. A real treat considering it's exactly the type of band I fall for, and their eponymous song on display here is a great example of why.

The subtle intro kind of hands you into this haunted house of tribal drone where the tantalizing vocals lull you into a fall sense of security. The Peter Hook New Order Resonant Post Punk Bass Thingy™ dances around you saying go on, it'll be alright. It builds and builds and builds to a thrilling guitar cut fest climax. A bit like good sex. And they're sexy out too. In that way that they probably only shower once a week and are harboring some dodgy tattoos up their skirts.

Anyway. Here's Warpaint. I'm too tired to write good.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:37 PM #79
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

twenty two.
LITTLE DRAGON//Ritual Union

sounds like.
Going around on a Wurlitzer or something, I dunno.

it's here because.
Because it's the best tune from the excellent Little Dragon, a bit of a hipster oddity and the only four piece from Gothenburg that I can claim to name.

Ammi likes this one, I know that. I posted it in ... some random music thread awhile back ... I think ... and she said she loved it. Trust Ammi on this one.

I said to her I found it somewhat satanic and she didn't pick up on it but I'll continue that discourse here. Something sounds very evil in it. It's a bit of a twisted tune. The weird bouncing electronic noise that follows "got me again-en-en-en" is quite dark, amongst other things. But it's part of the appeal I think. It's a quirky, wonderful tune that must be at this point my most repeated tune ever.

The vocals in it are superb too. The kind of vocals you know you can't replicate but feel duty bound to squelch out anyway as you go about your flat hoovering up dead spiders before your cooler friends come and introduce you to the next Gothenburg four piece who will blow your fucking mind.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:34 PM #80
-

-

little dragon
Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:23 PM #81
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Adore The Smiths but I just can't take to Morrissey's solo material.
You are the Quarry > at least one of the smiths albums (let's say Strangeways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
fifty, stu, top, tracks