Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:35 AM #1
Mr Rocket League

Mr Rocket League

Default Heroes

This was inspired by the discussion of people knowing the names of terrorists that attacked the World Trade Centre.

What I believe we don't do enough in this country is celebrate the selfless acts of everyday people that go to extreme lengths (often death) in order to protect other people from harm. I'm talking about the people like that lad who was stabbed protecting two lasses from a gang in a nightclub or the poor copper who lost his life holding a bridge to stop people going on it during the floods.

I feel terrible that I don't know these people's names. I feel more should be done to venerate the names of people who commit lofty acts of courage.

I love how we have a remembrance every year for the people that died protecting freedom during the Great War and World War II but it seems like everyone else is forgotten.

They never taught me in school about the H.M.S Birkenhead, a ship that sunk at rocks in South Africa where the Royal Marines stood to quarter on deck so that the women and children could escape without the life boats being capsized. Most of the Royal Marines were eaten by sharks but every woman and child made it to shore. (This is Where the British notion of women and children first come from).

Do you think these people all deserve more?
Kyle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:44 PM #2
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

you reminded me of some thoughts I had earlier today...

i was thinking about how people in the US feel about it's Army/Military compared with how the people in the UK feel about it's Army/Military.

I have a huge amount of respect for both. I think they are heroes. Brave people who are standing up for their country... I've noticed (maybe it's just where I live) that people in the Military/Army here don't get as much respect over here. Maybe it's just me thinking that, but I always hear people refer to those training to be in the army as 'squaddies' and I find that it's a little distasteful... is there something different about the UK army compared with the US army? Are they both not doing the same thing? Am I missing something here?

Last edited by Ninastar; 09-11-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Ninastar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:53 PM #3
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninastar View Post
you reminded me of some thoughts I had earlier today...

i was thinking about how people in the US feel about it's Army/Military compared with how the people in the UK feel about it's Army/Military.

I have a huge amount of respect for both. I think they are heroes. Brave people who are standing up for their country... I've noticed (maybe it's just where I live) that people in the Military/Army here don't get as much respect over here. Maybe it's just me thinking that, but I always hear people refer to those training to be in the army as 'squaddies' and I find that it's a little distasteful... is there something different about the UK army compared with the US army? Are they both not doing the same thing? Am I missing something here?
I find this a really difficult subject to talk about without sounding completely heartless. The military is a voluntary organisation - we aren't conscripted and they aren't fighting for our freedoms on a daily basis. It's sad when anyones loved one loses their lives, but I don't think soldiers really deserve to be elevated.

What's actually criminal were the lies that sent so many people to their deaths.

America is different because the size of the military over there is basically a jobs program. America spends as much on defence as the next 13 highest defence spenders in the world, combined. They also view themselves as the worlds police force, and believe in their own exceptionalism, so the guns and religion parts of America really buys into that.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:09 PM #4
Viewer Emeritus

Viewer Emeritus

[QUOTE=Jesus.;6475572]

What's actually criminal were the lies that sent so many people to their deaths.]

....And the politicians who sent them to their deaths are still heading companies raking in billions from the arms that kill them, are travelling the world collecting millions on so-called speaking engagements AND drawing pensions from their time in office when they made their decisions to send the military to their deaths.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 PM #5

Favourites:
BB14: Dexter
BB13: Deana

Favourites:

save the queen or something im sure your name would be known by all.
people who do heroic acts normally get something for it.

The real heroes are the hospital staff who help people and the people working 9-5 everyday in some mind numbing job that keep things ticking over.

i dont think you can do more than is already done. a real hero wouldn't need the admiration .
Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 PM #6
Mr Rocket League

Mr Rocket League

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
save the queen or something im sure your name would be known by all.
people who do heroic acts normally get something for it.

The real heroes are the hospital staff who help people and the people working 9-5 everyday in some mind numbing job that keep things ticking over.

i dont think you can do more than is already done. a real hero wouldn't need the admiration .
I know but it's more about setting an example for the rest of us.

Like the two examples I gave, these people gave their lives to protect people they had never met and they weren't even service personnel.

We live in a society that's all look at this celeb, let's all be famous for singing on a show, me me me me me.
Kyle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:55 PM #7

Favourites:

Favourites:

its the way its always been and always will be i guess. if someone had caught jack the ripper theyd still be more interested in the ripper than the guy who caught him.

same as celebs no one cares when they help/save someone or do good deeds which a few have.. they just care when they cheat or do sex tapes lol

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
heroes