Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:34 PM #1

Default Crime

In the past two days 2 young teens have been shot dead.
One in an ice rink in Streatham
One in his bedroom in Peckham

Where I live I hear about murders all the time, and especially among young people.

What are everyone's views/personal experiences on violence/crime?

Is it getting worse? Why do you think it is?

Are you not that aware of it.
ttw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:42 PM #2
TiBB founder

TiBB founder

I got robbed about 2 weeks ago, hence my absense from TiBB recently. They took my laptop, ipod, passport, all valuable things like that. The police were helpful in getting details, but I don't think theres much can be done to ever retrieve my stuff. I don't mind the fact that my stuff was stolen as much as knowing the information and personal stuff that was stored on my laptop is in the hands of someone else.

With the prison system being near full, many of these guys are going straight back onto the streets! Ludicrous

- Mark
Mark is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:14 PM #3
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Sorry to hear about that Mark. Must have been terrible.

However, I don't think crime is on the increase too much. There's more reporting of crime - and the way people report crime is changing too.
Certain types of crime have obviously seen an increase in the last decade, such as fraud, (with the internet). But similarly, other crimes have been on the decrease.
Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:01 AM #4

Mark - I'm very sorry to hear what happened to you. It must have been very traumatic.

I haven't got an awful lot of time to respond to this thread, because I'm supposed to be working (ahem!), but I think it is an interesting subject. Due to my job, I hear and write about crime every day. Is it getting worse? Yes, I think violent crimes (including gun crime) are on the up and up. Sometimes I wonder what on earth is happening to this country.
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:07 AM #5
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Violent crime is definitely on the increase. Especially among young people. What used to end in a fist fight, now ends up in a stabbing. I blame it on the groryification of violence in the media coupled with a lack of ethical discipline at grass roots level.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:27 AM #6

Quote:
Originally posted by GRiT
Violent crime is definitely on the increase. Especially among young people. What used to end in a fist fight, now ends up in a stabbing. I blame it on the groryification of violence in the media coupled with a lack of ethical discipline at grass roots level.
I totally agree with you on the media part.

It is everywhere in films, music, television.

All these boys around where I live go around thinking they are like 50 Cent, it's ridiculous.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:28 AM #7
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by ttw

All these boys around where I live go around thinking they are like 50 Cent, it's ridiculous.
It seem like everyone want to be a G. And hip hop is definitely to blame. I recently saw about half a dozen youths standing on a street corner sharing a bottle of Moet out of plastic cups. I had to larf. Why not drink the cheap nasty cider? It costs less and gets you p*ssed quicker.

Guys like Diddy and Jay Z are very clever business men, but alot of youths seem to be more interested in to the trapping of the hiphop lifestyle.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 AM #8

Quote:
Originally posted by GRiT
Quote:
Originally posted by ttw

It seem like everyone want to be a G. And hip hop is definitely to blame. I recently saw about half a dozen youths standing on a street corner sharing a bottle of Moet out of plastic cups. I had to larf. Why not drink the cheap nasty cider? It costs less and gets you p*ssed quicker.

Guys like Diddy and Jay Z are very clever business men, but alot of youths seem to be more interested in to the trapping of the hiphop lifestyle.
I know, if you watch MTV for example, you will see the same thing over and over... Expensive cars, jewelry, champagne, naked girls, all the rappers are talking about drugs, guns, what they are going to do to you if you step on their toe or if not that they are talking about how expensive their pinky ring is and how they have platinum braces.

If this is the only music someone is listening to, if this is all they are seeing on tv, if these are their idols, if this is who they want to be like.. it is going to start effecting them and in a negative way.

I do not think the music is soley to blame, that is obvious, but it does play a part.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:26 PM #9
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by ttw

I know, if you watch MTV for example, you will see the same thing over and over... Expensive cars, jewelry, champagne, naked girls, all the rappers are talking about drugs, guns, what they are going to do to you if you step on their toe or if not that they are talking about how expensive their pinky ring is and how they have platinum braces.

If this is the only music someone is listening to, if this is all they are seeing on tv, if these are their idols, if this is who they want to be like.. it is going to start effecting them and in a negative way.

I do not think the music is soley to blame, that is obvious, but it does play a part.
Yep. The kids want to be ghetto fabulous. I call it the 3 B's of hip hop. Bling, bitches and bad ass muthaf*ker.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:22 PM #10

aww sorry mark

Yes at one time crime only happened in places like new york but now its on your doorstep its very frightening. There is a gang hang about near to where i live. I wont mention the name of the gang for obvious reasons, but they think nothing of using knives. They are kids ranging from 12 to 20. Pretty dam disgusting
Siouxsie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:52 PM #11

i had a major robbery at my home last year and its left me devastated and very nervous.
secrets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:23 PM #12

yep my mamgot burgled .It was when she was going on holiday and i still say it was the taxi driver who picked her up at home and took her to the airport. H was asking loads of questions about how long she was going away for etc. I never get a taxi from my door. I always book it so they dont get to know where i live. I usually ask the drivers to pick me up a few yards from where i live.
Siouxsie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:37 PM #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark
I got robbed about 2 weeks ago, hence my absense from TiBB recently. They took my laptop, ipod, passport, all valuable things like that. The police were helpful in getting details, but I don't think theres much can be done to ever retrieve my stuff. I don't mind the fact that my stuff was stolen as much as knowing the information and personal stuff that was stored on my laptop is in the hands of someone else.

With the prison system being near full, many of these guys are going straight back onto the streets! Ludicrous

- Mark
Awwwwwwwww - Huggles Mark..... thats sad! (you carry loads of stuff are u an FBI agent?)

I dont think it has got worse, i think its always been bad. There were gun gangs in the 1920's, 30's, 40s etc.

I was stabbed when i was 14 (14 years ago) and it wasnt a huge deal then (i.e. it wasnt rare).
Sasha is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 AM #14

Quote:
Originally posted by Sasha
Quote:

- Mark
Awwwwwwwww - Huggles Mark..... thats sad! (you carry loads of stuff are u an FBI agent?)

I dont think it has got worse, i think its always been bad. There were gun gangs in the 1920's, 30's, 40s etc.

I was stabbed when i was 14 (14 years ago) and it wasnt a huge deal then (i.e. it wasnt rare).
I understand what you mean when it has always been about. I live in South London and I've always heard of stabbings, shootings... but I think there is a slight change...

I think it is the attitude, the carelessness.

I mean the shooting the other day happened in Streatham Ice Rink, where young people go, people go with their parents - it happened between young boys.

If your child said she/he was going ice-skating one evening, you wouldn't really think anything of it, yet people went in their with guns.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 AM #15

Quote:
Quote:

- Mark

So your like...28!? You don't look 28 at all..lucky gal!

Anyway back to topic

There isn't much crime where I live, well there wasn't until a couple of months back, A man of 50 was murdered while he waited ofr a bus..and he dragged himself to the police station which was like 10 minutes away, but died later that night. It was really shocking and made people around my area lots more careful about being out alone and stuff like that.

Gang related crimes are on the increase here to, theres gang markings everywhere.

Kinda scary really.
Ella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:31 AM #16
can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

Quote:
Originally posted by ttw
Quote:
Quote:

- Mark

I understand what you mean when it has always been about. I live in South London and I've always heard of stabbings, shootings... but I think there is a slight change...

I think it is the attitude, the carelessness.

I mean the shooting the other day happened in Streatham Ice Rink, where young people go, people go with their parents - it happened between young boys.

If your child said she/he was going ice-skating one evening, you wouldn't really think anything of it, yet people went in their with guns.
I live in South London too. And the crime rate here is just massive. I live in an area were there has been stabbings/murders/robberys in the past.
MarkWaldorf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:58 AM #17

Not sure if it is on the rise in general but the fact that young people have access to guns etc.. is certainly on the rise. Years ago it wasnt as published or talked about as it is now.

I think that violence is sadly becoming an every day event that people are learning to live with which is just wrong. We should never accept that violence is the answer or an acceptable way to deal with things.
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:27 PM #18

I got mugged by a group of guys at knifepoint once for my money & jewellery... A man who was in my brothers class at school has just been arrrested for murder.. the reamins of a missing woman were found under his floor!!
Diablo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:46 PM #19
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Diablo
I got mugged by a group of guys at knifepoint once for my money & jewellery... A man who was in my brothers class at school has just been arrrested for murder.. the reamins of a missing woman were found under his floor!!
That just chilled my blood. Under the floor? What is the world coming to.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:44 PM #20

It really is a sad world that we live in, I think that we need to try and remember that for every bad person there are at least 10 good ones! we always hear about the minority who are constantly in trouble or who harm others. What about the kids that work hard, achieve things. My youngest daughter is such a bright girl and she is an amazing athlete. She is 13 and plays Ice Hockey for 3 teams, she plays for the premier ladies team in the country and is the youngest player on the squad, now that is something worth shouting about!!!
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:01 AM #21

Crime is definitely on the increase. i lived in bristol for 10 years and the amount of crime was shocking. I've even stood outsides a mates flat waiting to be beeped inside and had someone ask me if they want to see a magnum (not the ice cream type). He brought it out of his pocket and you have no idea how scary that was. But there is no deterrent these days to crime?
~Kizwiz~ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 08:01 PM #22

Another teenager has been shot dead. There's seems to be a lot more shootings now, even since Dunblane when they brought in new laws.

It didn't stop the criminals.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 07:30 PM #23
Banned

Banned

I think crime is due to culture.

The Hip Hop scene, creates crime but money for the American Labels. Binge drinking etc. creates crime yet it makes money for alcohol market.

You cant irradicate crime, unless you irradicate the catalyst of whats causing it. Ie. stop marketing hip hop and gun gloryfying; stop reducing responsibility of the consistent binge drinkers.
rex3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
crime