Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 28-02-2007, 12:35 PM #76

It makes me wonder if the parents of these children actually spend any time doing activities with their kids. Playing football, going swimming, going on a bike ride etc are all great ways for parents to keep fit too but these days it seems that work/pub comes before some parents which is a shame. If parents are lazy then the child is bound to become lazy also.

Looking at the girls story she says "Chocolate is the only thing I’m interested in. It’s the only thing I live for.” This is another story where the mother claims to "lock the kitchen door with a padlock" yet the child finds the key.

I know this story is in the Sun which raises eyebrows in itself but some of the lines this child has suppose to of said are shocking. She gets a tenner a week pocket money and the mother lets her spend it ALL on chocolate.

"I’m just not interested in spending my money on DVDs, toys or pretty clothes like other little girls. From the moment I get up to the moment I go to bed I think about Galaxy bars.

“I know I’m addicted to it but it’s so creamy and yummy that I can’t stop eating it. I love it.

“All I have to do is see an advert on the telly and I start screaming that I want it now. If my mum won’t buy it, I’ll find a way of getting it myself.

Looking at the mother aswell she isn't the slimest of ladies so maybe she could look at her own health aswell as her childs. Plus back to the boys story someone mentioned she was smoking while cooking which I personally think isn't setting a good example to the child. I was brought up with the parents "being in charge" these days the child seems to run the house and demand things...parents are being too soft.
GlitterEyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 12:40 PM #77

The Story is on other sites such as Sky News, so the currant bun could not have made it up. Just fyi. Oh, and can somebody answer me one thing - how does the girl keep finding the key to the lock? Hide it somewhere properly!
Mrluvaluva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 12:50 PM #78

That makes a change then lol.
The fact it is true makes it even worse a child making a statement basically saying chocolate is what she lives for suggests that she doesn't have anything "fun" to look forward to. The parent needs to make some fun things happen and not all fun things cost money if that is maybe another problem. In the article it says she wants kids, and wants to loose weight to go to some theme park which are positives in the childs mind but the parent/family need to make her realise that won't happen unless she cuts down on unhealthy foods.

Also if the parent has a takeaway on her/his lap while watching tv then of course the child will pick up on that and want that also. Meals should be together and at the table...the child can help set the table/clean up etc and be involved rather than on their pc or watching tv.

I was wondering the exact same thing..both of these parents lock doors and the child finds the key...that excuse is pathetic! They should lock the key within another lock...or carry oy around with them.
Old 28-02-2007, 12:55 PM #79

Actually, the story I quoted was from Sky News. Quote from the currant bun piece now:

"Her desperate mum Angela Collins has even tried padlocking the kitchen door to control her eating.

But Angela, 42, said: “Sam wouldn’t rest until she found the key. She would tear the house apart looking for it.”

Sounds like she does not have much control over her daughter, and there is a lack of discipline in the household.
Mrluvaluva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 01:46 PM #80

Yeah looks like another broken home aswell so a one parent job must be hard at times but I think she should of been able to hide a small key...even if she wore it around her neck lol. If for instance she hid it in easy to reach places then no wonder she found it. Parents hide christmas presents well enough and normally they are bigger than a key so I don't see why she had a hard time hiding it.
Old 28-02-2007, 07:10 PM #81
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by James
Well most of us are... almost - according to this 75% of adults in the UK are 'overweight'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/obesity/

We are slaves to our genes in so many ways, I believe.
If it was genes there would be a definite 100% concordance rate, however there is only 20% that are obese. I agree with you though, in that genes are involved - although I believe the majority of the problem is due to environmental factors.
Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:54 AM #82

Quote:
Originally posted by GlitterEyes
I think the fact he is only 8 years old has alot to do with it. At 8 years old a child doesn't care about "Image" or realise that what he eats is actually bad for him as much as a teenager or adult does. His mother is 100% to blame or parents even for feeding him such junk food. I feel the issue is with the parent as it is "easier" to throw him a packet of crisps or a chocolate bar than to cut up an apple or something similar. I think putting the child in care is the best for him unless his mother/parents actually act and start him on a serious diet and get him some medical help.

I think adults/teens who are obese is another matter but I don't think an 8 year old should be in charge of his food intake thats down to the parents...and its the parents who are being lazy rather than the child. Not many parents these days take the kids out to the park or on a bike ride..they would rather shove the child in front of the tv/pc "out of the way".
I think that you have hit the nail on the head Glitter. In fact I feel that to do what she has done is child cruelty. The stress on that young boys heart at only 8 years old must be huge, this thread links in nicely with the school dinners thread actually. As the parent of an 8 year old the mother is responsible for ensuring that the child eats a well balanced diet.

She needs to get him outside, evn if for only 10 mins at a time to start with, he needs to be out running around, get him a trampoline or something he can enjoy himself on and hide away all the things that make him want to sit on his backside!
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
14, kid, stone