Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB13 Celebrity Big Brother 2014 (CBB13) shown January 2014 was won by Jim Davidson.

Discuss here.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:22 PM #1
that's Nice

Favourites:
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
BB16: Jade
that's Nice

Favourites:
BB16: Jade
Default Channel 4 has suffered an 11.4% decline in its audience share this year

though id share this news it still seems to be the case that channel 4 are stll dropping heaverly since the axe of bb among other shows, allthough Channel 5 declined by 0.4% in all hours and 1.1% in primetime.

Quote:
Channel 4’s all hours share of viewing has tumbled to 5.8% as it endured by far the toughest year in ratings terms of all the UK’s major channels.

Its 11.4% decline contrasted with improved performances by ITV and Sky 1, which grew their share across all hours and primetime, while BBC2 enjoyed gains across its peak schedule. BBC1 also experienced a difficult 2013, suffering due to year-on-year comparisons with the London 2012 Olympics.

But figures run by Broadcast show C4 endured the most pronounced decline in consolidated share between 1 January and 22 November 2013. It pulled in an average share of 6.1% during the primetime hours of 7pm-10.30pm, a fall of 8.7%. The drop was even more significant using C4’s definition of peak (5.30pm-12am).

Significant factors that had an impact on C4’s performance include last year’s bumper Paralympic audiences and the removal of children’s content from BBC1 in late afternoons, which helped the latter add viewers. C4 also pointed to continued creative renewal, highlighting that 28 of its top 50 shows were new titles.

But a number of C4’s established brands, such as One Born Every Minute, were weaker this year, while some new formats struggled, including Bedtime Live and Hollywood Me. Deeper analysis also shows that C4 had problems in 2013 either side of the period during which it was measured against 2012’s Paralympics.

A C4 spokesman said: “There are easier ways to maximise audience share, but C4 has a remit to take creative risks, champion alternative voices and stimulate debate. We have done this across 2013 with programming that has also achieved audience success – from The King In The Car Park, Utopia and Murder Trial to Southcliffe, The Mill and Educating Yorkshire.”

When C4 sells airtime to advertisers, it bundles in 4Seven with the main channel. Doing so gives it an improved all hours share of 6.1%, which is 8% down on 2012.

BBC1, like C4, faced a tough comparison with summer 2012 because of the Olympics. Its all-hours share stood at 21.1% in the first 11 months of 2013, more than 2.1% down on last year. The gap was more marked in primetime, where BBC1’s share fell by 6.9% year on year, to 21.3%.

The 5.4% all-hours decline at BBC2 was almost entirely the result of it giving up daytime originations due to Delivering Quality First cuts. It performed much better in peak, where its audience share rose from 7.2% to 7.6%.

Sky 1, after declines of 10% in 2012, bounced back strongly. Its share was up 4.3% to just under 1% in all hours this year, while its peak viewing grew by 4.8% to 1.3%. Highlights included Karl Pilkington: Moaning Of Life, Stella series two and acquisitions Revolution and Arrow, and it launched a +1 channel at the end of last year.

It was a similar story at ITV, where gains of 3.1% in all hours and 4.6% in primetime came against the backdrop of it haemorrhaging viewers last year to the Olympics. A record first week for I’m A Celebrity…, plus Broadchurch’s massive numbers, were major bonuses, although it was still down on 2011.

Finally, Channel 5 was stable, with its audience share down a marginal 0.4% in all hours and 1.1% in primetime. The channel is hopeful it will end the year flat.
http://m.broadcastnow.co.uk/5064279.article
JohnnyBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:34 PM #2

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Oh well, C4 has still produced the best programme of 2013.
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:35 PM #3

Always puzzled why their ratings were deemed bad, when in the grand scheme of things 1m+ is brilliant especially for a daily show
King Gizzard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:40 PM #4
we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

I thought this would happen ever since C4 ditched BB ,BB was a golden Channel even know it does not get that much ratings,It is largely talked about in the media,and it evened out C4 ratings so it was above average,BB10 got like 2 or 3 million average and BB11 got like 3 million - 4 million so they could of easily brought it back,but I'm not bothered what channel it goes to I have warmed to C5 version a lot but I would still think it would be good if C4 brought it back one day.

Anyway serves C4 right for ditching it
Samm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:55 PM #5

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
IAC2018: Emily Atack

Favourites (more):

"C4 also pointed to continued creative renewal".

'Creative renewal' was the term Channel 4 came up with after dumping Big Brother. We've had 3 years of BB on 5 and Channel 4 are still trying to renew themselves.
BBDodge is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:39 PM #6
Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber

Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber

Channel 4 has been one of my favourite channels this year (gogglebox, educating yorkshire, 911 what's your emergency) I'm surprised that it declined by that much when I hear so many people (online and irl) talking about the shows I mentioned
Gstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:28 PM #7
No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

It cannot be denied from any angle that BB14 completely shat all over Channel 4 this year. If they had someone a little less up their own arse in charge of the channel, things might be different.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:08 PM #8

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobInnes View Post
It cannot be denied from any angle that BB14 completely shat all over Channel 4 this year. If they had someone a little less up their own arse in charge of the channel, things might be different.
Yes, not only have Channel 4 lost BB but their main rival now has it and has taken a huge chunk of their viewers (for those months) with it.
BBDodge is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:33 PM #9

C4 doesn't know what it wants to be.

I remembered when C4 was launched way back in 1982 (ah Countdown with Richard Whitley) it wanted to be different, intelligent, bit edgy, innovative and take risks bbc wasn't.

It would take a tired format and do something a bit different, even if results were cringey or poor (eg soap /Brookside, sitcome/ Desmonds, youth show/ Network 7, chat show/ don't forget your toothbrush, music show/ The Tube, satire/ Brass Eyes, breakfast tv/ Big Breakfast, magazine yoof show/ the Word which gave us Terry Christian, Mark Lamarr and Nirvana and girl band L7's famous performances).

Somethings were a bit awwful like that paedo bait show with kids singing adult songs but at least it was doing something if totally wrong. Max Hedroom wasn't my bag but I appreciated what c4 wanted to do.

Now it's just hyper formulaic rating chasing nonsense. Gogglebox is not edgy as it thinks, just a spin on a tired reality format. BUT at least it's something a bit different and not The Girl with Three Eyes, endless repeats of Come Dine with Me, and "white people only" comedy with the likes of Jack Whitehall, Jimmy Carr and Kevin Bridges. All this has basically destroyed C4. Apart from the ace c4 news it's dire.

C4 needs to try something new that's smart. And realise that c4 news has several non-white newsreaders and yet the sky hasn't fallen in.

C4 needs a flagship live show, to inject unpredictability (michael hutchence flirting with paula yates on big breakfast, mark lamarr shaming a homophobic reggae star on the Word, Sean Ryder unable to not sweAr on Don't Forget Your Toothbrush) but I can't see live shows being broadcast anymore.

It's really depressing that ITv's live XF is more dangerous and unpredictable than c4.

It also needs to create it's own stars or poach talent who haven't quite made it ala Mark Lamar, Christian Guru Murty, Janet Street Porter, Christopher Morris, Richard Whitely and "Max Hedroom" and some of the cast from Drop the dead donkey

Last edited by alex_front2; 09-12-2013 at 10:06 PM.
alex_front2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:37 PM #10
jackc1806

Favourites (more):
BB14: Gina
CBB 11: Speidi
jackc1806

Favourites (more):
BB14: Gina
CBB 11: Speidi

The only show I watch on C4 now is Googlebox, until all the sitcoms come back on air.
They always do worse in winter anyway
Old 10-12-2013, 01:08 PM #11
mrmattybeck1

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Dappy
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton
mrmattybeck1

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Dappy
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachristmas1806 View Post
The only show I watch on C4 now is Googlebox, until all the sitcoms come back on air.
They always do worse in winter anyway
Same I only watch c4 for gogglebox its just a really bad channel now

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
mrmattybeck1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
114%, audience, channel 4, decline, share, suffered, year