Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 30-04-2014, 05:11 PM #101

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):

Maybe if some of the pupils attacked him with chairs etc..........outcome may have been different

Maybe she would still be alive ?
Old 30-04-2014, 05:15 PM #102
Z

Z

Possibly but would you fancy your chances against someone who had just stabbed your teacher multiple times in the neck with a knife? I'm not sure I would have.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 05:18 PM #103
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post
Maybe if some of the pupils attacked him with chairs etc..........outcome may have been different

Maybe she would still be alive ?
some of your posts are unreal
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 06:31 PM #104

The 15 year old will be Charged
with Murder
He goes to court tomorrow in a Juvenile court

Last edited by arista; 30-04-2014 at 06:32 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 06:33 PM #105

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

She seemed like such a lovely teacher, the person who did it needs proper punishment!
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 08:34 PM #106
-

-

I read about this earlier, exasperated but unsurprised that "violent games" are getting the blame once again in the rags. "Dark Souls" of all things... a high-fantasy game. Perhaps he mistook her for a dragon?

Anyway - of course it's glossed over that he was on or had been on anti-depressants, most likely SSRIs, and that SSRIs have the potential side effect of mania, psychosis and violent psychotic episodes. Relatively rare, but well documented and very real. Do you think we'll see that pointed out in the mainstream media? No, of course not. Not good for business.

Sigh.

Stop pumping kids full of barely understood, brain-altering chemicals and maybe we'll see fewer of these incidents. Whichever quack prescribed powerful mind-altering drugs to a hormonal teenage boy should be struck off. But then again - so many doctors do it - we'd probably have none left. IMO, these drugs need to be taken OUT of the hands of GPs and should only be available for prescription by doctors with full qualifications in psychiatry and neuropsychology. I have absolutely no doubt that this has played a role in what was clearly some sort of psychotic break.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 08:42 PM #107
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I read about this earlier, exasperated but unsurprised that "violent games" are getting the blame once again in the rags. "Dark Souls" of all things... a high-fantasy game. Perhaps he mistook her for a dragon?

Anyway - of course it's glossed over that he was on or had been on anti-depressants, most likely SSRIs, and that SSRIs have the potential side effect of mania, psychosis and violent psychotic episodes. Relatively rare, but well documented and very real. Do you think we'll see that pointed out in the mainstream media? No, of course not. Not good for business.

Sigh.

Stop pumping kids full of barely understood, brain-altering chemicals and maybe we'll see fewer of these incidents. Whichever quack prescribed powerful mind-altering drugs to a hormonal teenage boy should be struck off. But then again - so many doctors do it - we'd probably have none left. IMO, these drugs need to be taken OUT of the hands of GPs and should only be available for prescription by doctors with full qualifications in psychiatry and neuropsychology. I have absolutely no doubt that this has played a role in what was clearly some sort of psychotic break.
...hmmm, I'm not necessarily disagreeing about the medication but then if it's prescribed too often to young people but it's not often that someone does this type thing, then does that really contribute either as so many people take it... he was obviously not mentally healthy and could have always been that way and no matter whether he had taken medication or not...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 09:22 PM #108
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...hmmm, I'm not necessarily disagreeing about the medication but then if it's prescribed too often to young people but it's not often that someone does this type thing, then does that really contribute either as so many people take it... he was obviously not mentally healthy and could have always been that way and no matter whether he had taken medication or not...
It's a rare side effect but it is a known side effect, as in, it's actually listed by the companies who make these drugs as a potential side effect. SSRI's are massively over-prescribed by people who have no idea what they're dishing out, and they have horrendous side effects in MANY cases. Not usually violent psychosis but a myriad of other things (organ and other tissue damage with prolonged use; onset of irreversible clinical depression due to damaged serotonin receptors; seizures of varying severity usually caused by serotonin flooding - which are actually relatively common).

Violent psychotic breaks are very rare in general so, when I see a story that obviously indicates that someone has had such an episode (and unless there's something more to this story, something that she had done to him that isn't known / hasn't been reported, then it can only really be put down to a psychotic episode) alongside blasé mention of him having been on mind-altering medication that has been clinically proven to potentially cause exactly this... then, it's hard not to see causation in it. Obviously there's no way to prove that this is exactly what's happened, and that, of course, is the problem - the reason that no one will bother to step in and stop these pills from being dished out to teenagers like smarties.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 30-04-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 10:40 PM #109

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salman! View Post
some of your posts are unreal
I thought you liked my posts... You told me so not long ago..
Old 01-05-2014, 01:28 AM #110
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
It's a rare side effect but it is a known side effect, as in, it's actually listed by the companies who make these drugs as a potential side effect. SSRI's are massively over-prescribed by people who have no idea what they're dishing out, and they have horrendous side effects in MANY cases. Not usually violent psychosis but a myriad of other things (organ and other tissue damage with prolonged use; onset of irreversible clinical depression due to damaged serotonin receptors; seizures of varying severity usually caused by serotonin flooding - which are actually relatively common).

Violent psychotic breaks are very rare in general so, when I see a story that obviously indicates that someone has had such an episode (and unless there's something more to this story, something that she had done to him that isn't known / hasn't been reported, then it can only really be put down to a psychotic episode) alongside blasé mention of him having been on mind-altering medication that has been clinically proven to potentially cause exactly this... then, it's hard not to see causation in it. Obviously there's no way to prove that this is exactly what's happened, and that, of course, is the problem - the reason that no one will bother to step in and stop these pills from being dished out to teenagers like smarties.
It is a possibility, I remember a friend of mine being prescribed seroxat at the same time as a couple of suicides, I was really worried but it appeared to be an accepted side effect :/
Old 01-05-2014, 05:41 PM #111

He was in Court today
Answered Yes to Everything
including the murder.

[In the dock: The schoolboy accused of murdering
Ann Maguire appeared in court today
with a broken arm and nodded to his parents
who were watching from the public gallery]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz30UFO7HrR
Old 02-05-2014, 04:17 PM #112

[Tributes: Yesterday Ann Maguire's tearful family
inspected flowers and notes stretching for
more than 150ft along the railings outside
the school where she was murdered]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz30ZkWzESt

The 15 year old was in Crown Court today via Live Video link
again saying Yes to all questions

Last edited by arista; 02-05-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
15, 61, boy, death, female, leeds, school, stabbed, teacher, year