Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 28-04-2007, 11:20 AM #1
Banned

Banned

Default Half the world now owns a mobile phone!! \"What are we to do?\"

Can you Remember life before a (Mobile Phone)?

I can....

But today, it is like your "right arm", how can you live without it. It controls and rules our lives completely.

You have children with mobile phones and they are so busy playing games and texting and that, "Blue-tooth" thingy which downloads & plays music and stuff, which many parents wonder "what the hell it is?" Our children are now ruled by them.

Everywhere we go, it is the mobile phone and their many ringtones and text sounds and music and alarms and getting in the way, all the time.

In our cars, we see people talking in the street and while driving, mostly "Hands-Free" for drivers, as it is illegal otherwise. But so many still do that!!

A lot of people also hate mobile phones, as you have no privacy anymore and interfere's with every day life.

I get mad sometimes, when I am having a lovely day out with my girlfriend and suddenly hear one of our mobile-phones going off, (usually her's) and suddenly, we are having our day out "Gate-Crashed" by someone. As it would be better, if they never had the opportunity to be able to contact us.

Many could say that it would be easy to just switch it off! But many don't. They like to be able to just get a phone-call from someone or a text. It is just the way it is!!

You have a daughter, let's say, (11 years old). She want's to go out and play with her friends, but as a mother, you say (No) on that occasion, for whatever reason.

Your daughter goes into her bedroom, picks up her mobile and phones or texts her friend, that "she can't go out".

Suddenly, your daughter get's a text or a phone call back and your daughter's friend gives her a dishonest secret plan, on how to get out of the house for a dishonest reason, and instead of going out for that made-up excuse, she goes off and plays with her friend instead.

This is just one reason from many, why mobiles are taking over.

The Newspaper, The Sun has an interesting story and some interesting statistics for us to read.

(Half the world own mobiles) and it shall grow and grow.

Is it the best invention ever?

Could you manage, if mobile phones were banned?

Anyway, Link & Article below:-

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007190629,00.html

Half the world has a mobile
Global communications ... mobile phone ownership's growing

By HARRY MACADAM
who's owned 8 mobiles
April 28, 2007

MORE than half the people on earth will own a mobile phone by the end of the year.

This is the startling prediction made by Nokia chief Kai Oistamo.

Bosses of the mobile phone giant reckon plummeting computer chip costs are fuelling a new surge in mobile sales around the globe.

It means that more than THREE BILLION people worldwide will own at least one handset before the year is out.

Wealthy Western economies led the original Eighties mobile phone boom when portable bricks became the ultimate yuppy accessory.

But today, the fiercest demand for handsets comes from poorer, emerging nations.

For many citizens in countries such as Indonesia, Brazil and Russia, a cheap mobile can drastically change their lives.

Some economists have even suggested that owning a mobile phone can improve living standards more than being given the right to vote.

Phone makers fear the growth in mobile ownership will one day reach saturation point — bringing an end to their massive profits.

But for the moment, Finland-based Nokia has operations in 130 countries, employing 68,000 people.

Here we mark the halfway point in the mobile phone’s conquering of the human race by bringing you an array of staggering mobile facts:

39. . . the average profit in Pounds made by British mobile phone companies from each of their customers in a single year.

2000 . . . the cost in Pounds of the first-ever briefcase-sized mobile phone, which hit the market in America in 1985.

48. . . the number of seconds it took 24-year-old Craig Crosbie to enter a 159-character text message – setting a new world record in 2005.

40. . . the percentage of pensioners in the UK who own a mobile.

1700 . . . number of mobile phones that are thrown away every hour.

80. . . the percentage of the world’s population living in an area with mobile phone coverage at any time. The figure is expected to reach 90 per cent by 2010.

164. . . the percentage of Luxembourg’s rate of mobile phone “penetration”. This means there are the equivalent of 1.64 handsets per person in the country.

5.5. . . the number of billions of minutes of calls made by mobile-mad Brits on their handsets every month.

18. . . the length of time in months it takes for boffins to halve the size of mobile phone handsets. Designs are expected to reach their physical limits by 2017.

3.5. . . the number of texts in billions sent by Brits every month – that’s 113 million every day.

1. . . . that’s how many million dollars the most expensive mobile phone cost. The 18-carat, white gold, diamond studded handset was bought by a Russian tycoon for his wife.

92. . the jaw-dropping number of millions of mobile phones lurking unused in homes across the country. In total they weigh 14,000 tons.

1985. . on Jan 1 of that year, the first mobile call was made in Britain. Comic Ernie Wise used a Vodafone handset – wired to a car battery.

34. . . the average price in Pounds of a monthly phone bill in this country.

18. . . the typical length of time in months that Brits use a mobile before replacing it.

20. . . the length of time in minutes the first mobile phone battery lasted before running flat. Perhaps now we’ll appreciate just how long they keep going today!

nodisharmony
nodisharmony is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 12:59 PM #2

i could live without mine i think if they werent invented
stacey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 01:02 PM #3

I couldnt live without my ipod but dont really use my phone that much.
x_mel_x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 03:55 PM #4
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by x-stacey-x
i could live without mine i think if they werent invented

I know what you are saying, x-stacey-x.

"if they were'nt invented"

But as they are part of (half the population), it just shows what rules our lives in every way.

But in some schools, they don't allow mobiles to be switched on.

But what goes on in the classroom, MUST be different in the playground?

nodisharmony
Old 28-04-2007, 05:35 PM #5

at my school we're not supposed to use mobiles but people sit in class on them and everything and the teachers dont notice but is there any need to sit texting somebody who sits in front of you
stacey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 05:40 PM #6
Nah

Nah

I can't live without mine too !
It's the best thing God created (with Internet and my girlfriend).
I haven't my social life anylonger ! I had my first when I was 11 and since it's like my drug !
I work in a luxury hotel as director assistant (during the holidays), I'm the President of my municipal council and the class leader then imagine me without a mobile phone ! Scary !
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 06:52 PM #7
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sunshine30
I can't live without mine too !
It's the best thing God created (with Internet and my girlfriend).
I haven't my social life anylonger ! I had my first when I was 11 and since it's like my drug !
I work in a luxury hotel as director assistant (during the holidays), I'm the President of my municipal council and the class leader then imagine me without a mobile phone ! Scary !
I know what you mean, sunshine30.

For many people it is a way of life. And some, just can't have 15 minutes of spare time, without phoning, texting, receiving calls/texts, using bluetooth or playing games.

I know children who just can't leave it alone. It is there to play with and for adults it is just the same.

Keeps your hands busy!!!

What would you do with your hands otherwise

(No, I'm not being or thinking dirty thoughts...)

nodisharmony
Old 28-04-2007, 07:51 PM #8

I am one of those sados that has 2 - one personal and one for work. I use my phone a lot and text all the time.

My hubby gets driven to distraction by the constant beeping of my phones and the one thing he is firm about is holidays! My phones stay at home and holidays are mobile phone free zones! The first day or 2 I feel al ittle lost but then for the rest of the holiday I enjoy having no phone, it's just me and my family time.

In the eyes of my daughters I was a bad mother as I resisted buying them mobile phones until they reached 13 which is still way to young but thats when they wander further from home and I liked being able to contact them if need be.
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 08:10 PM #9
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

I'm like Sunny in that I haver a works and a personal phone. Recently, I've found myself using the personal one less and less. All my friends, claim that a man with two phones is someone who leads a double life. They know me too well.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:18 PM #10
Banned

Banned

Many people switch their phone on in the morning and wake up to about 20 texts and about 10 voice messages, then the phone rings non-stop.

How can you have a relationship for god sake

Switch the thing off, when you having fun.

I do

nodisharmony

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
half, mobile, owns, phone, what are we to do, world