Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 30-08-2014, 10:42 PM #51

"I've known you were gay since you were a little boy"

"You made that choice!"

Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 10:50 PM #52

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

I just watched this. I was hesitant whether I would or not and it has taken me a few days to press play and I was truly not expecting this. Parents are supposed to love their child no matter what and the fact that they chose God over their own son makes me physically ill. Attacking him, for something he can't help, made it even worse. Daniel sounds very educated and his made sure he's been ready for this day, but it wasn't enough. I'm glad he has a boyfriend who loves him as his family do not. His parents, his aunt/uncle and grandparents are disgusting people. Anyone who argues that his family are just expressing their feelings or opinion are just as bad as they are. How could you disown your own child because they prefer men to wowen (or vice versa)? Why is that so disgusting and hard to accept? I truly feel terrible for Daniel as no one should be treated like that by their own family. But now he knows he's better off without them. His family don't deserve a son like him.
Firewire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 11:05 PM #53

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Diabolical human beings, they don't deserve him.

I feel so privileged that my family supported my regarding my outing.
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 11:23 PM #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
I am sorry if this happened when you came out but it was probably an exception that rather proves the rule
I'm not gay lol

I know someone who was beat up and "disowned" though when he came out in this country, hence why I said that.

Brother Leon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 11:31 PM #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
it's so ridiculous she starts off saying she knew he was gay since he was a small child, then says it was his choice, WTF.... so silly/

The stupidity of religion.

Why does the UK still have a state religion?
What does this have to do with the video about an American coming out?
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 11:31 PM #56

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB16: Nick

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB16: Nick

I read a quote somewhere of him saying he filmed it too just in case anything harmful happened towards him, so he had evidence. The tone of the voices in the video seem to imply it's not the first time they've had an argument about it. But then if he did "come out" a few days prior to the video then arguments probably were brewing for days and it started to get to a point he was scared what they may do to him.

Problem with people so religiously strong is that when one of their own, like a child, 'turns' against those rules and beliefs, it's like a stab in the heart. They take that very personally and react in a very aggressive way, almost like how anyone would react to someone you know becoming a murderer or rapist (extreme examples I know). The child they brought up has changed and has been poisoned, they're beyond repair and have no place in their lives. That's horrible to think, and even more horrible for me typing these words right now. But that's the harsh truth of religious people such as this that are so heavily invested in beliefs, it's unspeakable to break any of that, and once you have, well, in their eyes you're dead to them.

I think the family setting down their opinions was fine. The "you're going against our lord" lines were a bit too much, but as highlighted in the above paragraph not surprising for people that heavily invested in beliefs. But hitting your own child is disgusting, whatever you believe in, whether you're religious, an atheist, whatever background you come from, inflicting physical damage on someone you know, your child, is utterly vile and it made me sick listening to that in the video.

One good thing that has come of this is the massive support this guy has got from not just people in the US, but people around the world. Gay acceptance is far from perfect. But the amount of support that he has received over this just really shows how times are changing. This is most likely a video that will shake a lot of people who are worried about coming out to their families. Although hopefully the positive aftermath of this will show young men and women that you do not have to be worried about who you are, as there is always support out there.
Jamesy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 07:16 AM #57
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewire View Post
I just watched this. I was hesitant whether I would or not and it has taken me a few days to press play and I was truly not expecting this. Parents are supposed to love their child no matter what and the fact that they chose God over their own son makes me physically ill. Attacking him, for something he can't help, made it even worse. Daniel sounds very educated and his made sure he's been ready for this day, but it wasn't enough. I'm glad he has a boyfriend who loves him as his family do not. His parents, his aunt/uncle and grandparents are disgusting people. Anyone who argues that his family are just expressing their feelings or opinion are just as bad as they are. How could you disown your own child because they prefer men to wowen (or vice versa)? Why is that so disgusting and hard to accept? I truly feel terrible for Daniel as no one should be treated like that by their own family. But now he knows he's better off without them. His family don't deserve a son like him.
..I've thought about this a lot, it's a hard thing to get out of your head tbh..I think Jonathan that his family do love him but it's as you say, the 'conditions' of that 'love'..?...that they can't love him for who he is because he isn't 'what they wanted him to be'....

..it's strange because I've recently had a similar conversation with someone on another forum ..(not with them coming out..)...but how some parents can impose who they are on their children and because it's not who their children are, it can leave and often does leaves a person who may find happiness in their lives with other people..?..but it still leaves them with a feeling of 'failure' a lack of self belief and self confidence that may stay with them forever because they're his parents and no matter what he probably still loves them..?.....it's just so easy and natural to think he'll be better off without them/without the 'hate and prejudice' of their beliefs etc...but there are so many times in his life that he'll need/yearn for that 'parental/family hug', regardless of how they are because his 'programmed love' is more unconditional than theirs is and that should never be the way with a parent and child .... and he won't have those 'hugs'/feel that no matter how rubbish life can be, there is always someone there to believe in him......this is just so sad and the 'damage' is so far reaching....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 08:59 AM #58

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

It just goes to show that religious extremism is alive and well and is not just confined to Islam. These people are so indoctrinated by religious dogma that they would turn on their own son verbally and physically abusing him because he dared to stray from the word of The Lord.

Utterly reprehensible , feel so sad for this man the pain he must feel from being treated like this from his family.

I think they are the ones in need therapy to try and unravel decades of religious brainwashing.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
coming out, family, man, video, viral, wrong