Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB14 Celebrity Big Brother 2014 (CBB14) was shown in August and September 2014, and was won by Gary Busey. Discuss the series and housemates here.

- - - - - - - - - -

Old 11-09-2014, 10:39 AM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Keith Chegwin
CBB14: Gary

Favourites (more):
Default About Gary's Brain Damage

People are confusing Gary's brain damage for...

1/ Tactics
2/ Winding People up.
3/ A clever Game Plan.
4/ Abruptness
5/ Bad Manners
6/ Deafness (his deafness is not all to do with his hearing. see below***)
7/ Rudeness
8/ Ignorance

Gary's brain damage means that Gary has less filters than most other people. He reacts instantly to situations, he says the first thing that comes into his head.

He doesn't recognise his own rudeness.

When he does realise that he is winding people up, sometimes he likes it. It wasn't his original plan to wind them up, but during an argument he realises that they are wound up, so he feels glad that the are wound up, he knows that he can win the argument this way.

*** He is easily distracted. When we are in a conversation we are focused on that conversation. Gary soon loses focus of the conversation, his missing filters cause a distraction very quickly. This is being blamed on his deafness, but is in fact more to do with his brain damage. Lots of people talking distract him, does not necessarily block his hearing, but block the messages to his brain from his ears. You may notice that movements also distract him very easily, background action. He says "what?" that is not through deafness, that is through distraction. His own thoughts most likely also distract him at times. He has ticks.

Gary's emotions are also slightly lacking in empathy. He doesn't feel what others feel at the moment, but what Gary does is takes time to reflect on what they were feeling later when he has time to think about it. Then he feels bad about what he said, or did. However when he tries to apologise he may get into another argument, because now he doesn't have time to empathise with the reaction to his apology. So for example he feels bad about what he said to Dee, but if he apologises, and Dee has a strop about the apology, then he needs another half an hour to think about that as well.

Putting his hand up... is to keep his thoughts flowing. If he is talking he is flowing. If you interrupt the distraction is like reading a book with the TV on for us.

So when you account for Gary's brain damage you can see that even deafness is not necessarily what you think it is. And a gameplan goes out of the window.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:11 AM #2

Favourites:
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

What a very interesting post and point of view.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:21 AM #3
Team Grrumpy

Team Grrumpy

Good interesting post...
mr rochester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:23 AM #4

"*** He is easily distracted. "

Yes its Great
makes the show fun
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:02 PM #5

Favourites (more):
BB19: Isabella
Apprentice 2018: Jackie

Favourites (more):
BB19: Isabella
Apprentice 2018: Jackie

Excellent post, OP. I wish BB or at least BOTS had taken the time to give people information/education like this.
Spoon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:25 PM #6
Virtual Biscuit Eater

Favourites (more):
CBB14: Audley
CBB 11: Speidi
Virtual Biscuit Eater

Favourites (more):
CBB14: Audley
CBB 11: Speidi

Great well thought out post, Pincho.

Loads of interesting points and observations in there
Robodog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:07 PM #7
Platinum Member

Platinum Member

Good post. Gary shouldn't be in there.

It has become a freak show.
CaudleHalbard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:28 PM #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho Paxton View Post
People are confusing Gary's brain damage for...

1/ Tactics
2/ Winding People up.
3/ A clever Game Plan.
4/ Abruptness
5/ Bad Manners
6/ Deafness (his deafness is not all to do with his hearing. see below***)
7/ Rudeness
8/ Ignorance

Gary's brain damage means that Gary has less filters than most other people. He reacts instantly to situations, he says the first thing that comes into his head.

He doesn't recognise his own rudeness.

When he does realise that he is winding people up, sometimes he likes it. It wasn't his original plan to wind them up, but during an argument he realises that they are wound up, so he feels glad that the are wound up, he knows that he can win the argument this way.

*** He is easily distracted. When we are in a conversation we are focused on that conversation. Gary soon loses focus of the conversation, his missing filters cause a distraction very quickly. This is being blamed on his deafness, but is in fact more to do with his brain damage. Lots of people talking distract him, does not necessarily block his hearing, but block the messages to his brain from his ears. You may notice that movements also distract him very easily, background action. He says "what?" that is not through deafness, that is through distraction. His own thoughts most likely also distract him at times. He has ticks.

Gary's emotions are also slightly lacking in empathy. He doesn't feel what others feel at the moment, but what Gary does is takes time to reflect on what they were feeling later when he has time to think about it. Then he feels bad about what he said, or did. However when he tries to apologise he may get into another argument, because now he doesn't have time to empathise with the reaction to his apology. So for example he feels bad about what he said to Dee, but if he apologises, and Dee has a strop about the apology, then he needs another half an hour to think about that as well.

Putting his hand up... is to keep his thoughts flowing. If he is talking he is flowing. If you interrupt the distraction is like reading a book with the TV on for us.

So when you account for Gary's brain damage you can see that even deafness is not necessarily what you think it is. And a gameplan goes out of the window.
Food for thought.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:22 PM #9

Favourites (more):
BB15: Ash
UBB: Victor

Favourites (more):
BB15: Ash
UBB: Victor

some people think everyone has to be perfect in everything they say or do and dont allow for their idiosyncrasies ,they should learn to except people for who they are.

Last edited by icecakes; 11-09-2014 at 03:31 PM.
icecakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:03 PM #10

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Lionel Blair

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Lionel Blair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho Paxton View Post

Wow. It's incredible that somehow you know what Gary's brain damage means. Apparently you're a neurosurgeon and have reviewed Gary's medical records and history.

Thanks for clearing that up for everyone.
colin72 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:14 PM #11

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin72 View Post
Wow. It's incredible that somehow you know what Gary's brain damage means. Apparently you're a neurosurgeon and have reviewed Gary's medical records and history.

Thanks for clearing that up for everyone.
It's not the hardest thing in the world for anyone - including Pincho - to read up on Gary's medical case history, then carry out further research if further interested, and I personally - in my humble opinion - feel it's being pedantic, when someone insinuates that an opinion is arrogantly being expressed as a fact, just because the author does not continually use the phrase - in my humble opinion - especially when the critic is guilty of such practices themselves.

I think - in my humble opinion - that your sarcasm is uncalled for.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:17 PM #12

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaudleHalbard View Post

He's been in there, it's almost over. Change the record now.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
Old 11-09-2014, 04:18 PM #13

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
It's not the hardest thing in the world for anyone - including Pincho - to read up on Gary's medical case history, then carry out further research if further interested, and I personally - in my humble opinion - feel it's being pedantic, when someone insinuates that an opinion is arrogantly being expressed as a fact, just because the author does not continually use the phrase - in my humble opinion - especially when the critic is guilty of such practices themselves.

I think - in my humble opinion - that your sarcasm is uncalled for.
Well said!

― Richard Dawkins
Old 11-09-2014, 04:24 PM #14

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaudleHalbard View Post

Gary has every right to be in there. Or do we extend that sentiment to Dee who - apparently - is suffering from acute depression? Or Edele who - due to her present personal circumstances and obvious behavioural problems - is obviously emotionally unstable? How about George; Childish Behaviour Syndrome? Or James; Napoleon Complex?

I believe that if Gary and Audley had been in there with more mature, decent and tolerant house-mates, it wouldn't be a freak-show - but that wouldn't get bums on seats viewing, would it?
Old 11-09-2014, 05:38 PM #15

I had only seen only comment years ago from a psychiatrist saying they "suspected" that Gary may have reduced mental filters - which basically wasn't a diagnosis and didn't give too much away at all at the implications and degrees of disability.

I hadn't even been able to determine which areas of his brain may have been damaged and whether there was opportunity for possible compensation over time to reduce effects.

Tics etc. could be a result of brain damage but not necessarily, they can also be an effect of taking certain drugs etc.

If you could post the sources here I would really appreciate it - could be interesting. It really does help a lot if sources of research are cited.

Last edited by Tip; 11-09-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Tip is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:53 PM #16

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip View Post
I had only seen only comment years ago from a psychiatrist saying they "suspected" that Gary may have reduced mental filters - which basically wasn't a diagnosis and didn't give too much away at all at the implications and degrees of disability.

I hadn't even been able to determine which areas of his brain may have been damaged and whether there was opportunity for possible compensation over time to reduce effects.

Tics etc. could be a result of brain damage but not necessarily, they can also be an effect of taking certain drugs etc.

If you could post the sources here I would really appreciate it - could be interesting. It really does help a lot if sources of research are cited.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Busey

Quote:
Personal life

Busey in September 2007.
In 1971, Busey's wife Judy Helkenberg gave birth to their son, William Jacob "Jake" Busey. Busey and Helkenberg divorced when Jake was 19 years old. Busey has a daughter named Alectra from a previous relationship. In February 2010, Busey's girlfriend Steffanie Sampson gave birth to their son, Luke Sampson Busey.

On December 4, 1988, Busey was severely injured in a motorcycle accident in which he was not wearing a helmet. His skull was fractured, and doctors feared he suffered permanent brain damage. During the filming of the second season of Celebrity Rehab in 2008, Busey was referred to psychiatrist Dr. Charles Sophy. Sophy suspected that Busey's brain injury has had a greater effect on him than realized. He described it as essentially weakening his mental "filters" and causing him to speak and act impulsively. Sophy recommended Busey take valproic acid (Depakote), with which Busey agreed.

In 1996, Busey publicly announced that he was a Christian, saying: "I am proud to tell Hollywood I am a Christian. For the first time I am now free to be myself."

In 1997, after recurring nosebleeds, he underwent surgery to remove a golf-ball-sized cancerous tumor from his sinus cavity, and after surgery he underwent radiation therapy.
The rest is by me. I am Pincho Paxton the solver of the Theory Of Everything, and I can be Googled.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:59 PM #17

Ah ok thanks.. I had seen the Wiki article and the Sophy quote.
Tip is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
brain, damage, gary