Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 22-02-2015, 07:46 PM #126
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
LOL... right.

Still the silliest comment I've read for a long time.
I sometimes find your comments silly too, but I'm far to polite to say usually.
Old 22-02-2015, 07:48 PM #127
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I sometimes find your comments silly too, but I'm far to polite to say usually.
What's that got to do with this thread, exactly?
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 07:52 PM #128
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
What's that got to do with this thread, exactly?
What has your finding my view silly got to do with the thread?

If you don't agree fine you don't have to attempt to belittle my opinion, that's very hurtful you know.
Old 22-02-2015, 07:54 PM #129
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

Well that's a new one
Old 22-02-2015, 08:12 PM #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOne View Post
Well that's a new one
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 08:40 PM #131
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Well that's a new one
Lasted almost a full minute too
Old 22-02-2015, 08:47 PM #132
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Lasted almost a full minute too
And I'm sure you loved that eh
Old 22-02-2015, 09:00 PM #133
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
And I'm sure you loved that eh
Are you being crude?.... in serious debates? hang your head
Old 23-02-2015, 08:30 AM #134

This didnt make many right wing sites, so I will share for those people who are whinging about muslims not standing up against the radicals...

REUTERS - More than 1,000 Muslims formed a human shield around Oslo's synagogue on Saturday, offering symbolic protection for the city's Jewish community and condemning an attack on a synagogue in neighboring Denmark last weekend.

Chanting "No to anti-Semitism, no to Islamophobia," Norway's Muslims formed what they called a ring of peace a week after Omar Abdel Hamid El-Hussein, a Danish-born son of Palestinian immigrants, killed two people at a synagogue and an event promoting free speech in Copenhagen last weekend.

"Humanity is one and we are here to demonstrate that," Zeeshan Abdullah, one of the protest's organizers told a crowd of Muslim immigrants and ethnic Norwegians who filled the small street around Oslo's only functioning synagogue.

"There are many more peace mongers than warmongers," Abdullah said as organizers and Jewish community leaders stood side by side. "There's still hope for humanity, for peace and love, across religious differences and backgrounds."

Norway's Jewish community is one of Europe's smallest, numbering around 1000, and the Muslim population, which has been growing steadily through immigration, is 150,000 to 200,000. Norway has a population of about 5.2 million.

The debate over immigration in the country came to the forefront in 2011 when Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people and accused the government and the then-ruling Labour party of facilitating Muslim immigration and adulterating pure Norwegian blood.

Support for immigration has been rising steadily since those attacks, however, and an opinion poll late last year found that 77 percent of people thought immigrants made an important contribution to Norwegian society.

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/...-news/1.643521
Old 23-02-2015, 08:42 AM #135

Its good the Parents have spoken on the TV news yesterday
and typical that they had no idea of the Romantic Syria Isis Killers

Last edited by arista; 23-02-2015 at 08:44 AM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 09:23 AM #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
This didnt make many right wing sites, so I will share for those people who are whinging about muslims not standing up against the radicals...

REUTERS - More than 1,000 Muslims formed a human shield around Oslo's synagogue on Saturday, offering symbolic protection for the city's Jewish community and condemning an attack on a synagogue in neighboring Denmark last weekend.

Chanting "No to anti-Semitism, no to Islamophobia," Norway's Muslims formed what they called a ring of peace a week after Omar Abdel Hamid El-Hussein, a Danish-born son of Palestinian immigrants, killed two people at a synagogue and an event promoting free speech in Copenhagen last weekend.

"Humanity is one and we are here to demonstrate that," Zeeshan Abdullah, one of the protest's organizers told a crowd of Muslim immigrants and ethnic Norwegians who filled the small street around Oslo's only functioning synagogue.

"There are many more peace mongers than warmongers," Abdullah said as organizers and Jewish community leaders stood side by side. "There's still hope for humanity, for peace and love, across religious differences and backgrounds."

Norway's Jewish community is one of Europe's smallest, numbering around 1000, and the Muslim population, which has been growing steadily through immigration, is 150,000 to 200,000. Norway has a population of about 5.2 million.

The debate over immigration in the country came to the forefront in 2011 when Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people and accused the government and the then-ruling Labour party of facilitating Muslim immigration and adulterating pure Norwegian blood.

Support for immigration has been rising steadily since those attacks, however, and an opinion poll late last year found that 77 percent of people thought immigrants made an important contribution to Norwegian society.

Yes, Muslims worldwide are starting to protest against terrorism, Antisemitism, and even in support of free speech, and this is truly welcoming news, but to be fair, I think that any calls on here for moderate Muslims to 'stand up and be counted' against the terrorists bastards slaughtering other humans in the name of their prophet, their God, and their religion, were referring more to British Muslims.

I believe the 'rationale' is that with over 3 million Muslims in the UK, the protests against IS have been proportionally tiny, or individual, and irregular, whereas concerted rallies en-masse (poll tax style) would be more news-worthy and have far more impact. There has not been - to my knowledge anyway - any such organised protests in the UK.

No one on here believes that the great majority of ordinary Muslims have terrorist sympathies, but in the same vein, only apologists or the self-deluded would deny that some terrorist sympathisers, and even activists, are secreted within our Muslim communities.

Further; this issue is beyond individual politics, or personal belief - or should be - it is all about 'Man's Inhumanity To Man' and a plague which is threatening the entire world. We all react differently to the daily atrocities perpetrated by these terrorists, and those of us who are most vociferous in our condemnation of it are no more Islamaphobic and xenophobic or racist, than those whose condemnation is more feeble, muted, or non forthcoming, are terrorist apologists, and yet, our attacks on Islamic terrorists are repeatedly misconstrued on here as attacks on all Muslims, when this is simply not true.
Old 23-02-2015, 11:12 AM #137
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

It is easy to confuse where the intolerance lies when the Quran has been the onus in so many threads, imo the feeling was muslims were compelled to violence due to what was written?
Old 23-02-2015, 12:51 PM #138
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post

Norway's a very different proposition to the UK.

When Muslims do stand up against terrorism it makes the news internationally. It happened in Paris, it's happened in Norway... I can't see it happening here.
Old 23-02-2015, 12:58 PM #139
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

There are #makingastand events being held across the UK

http://asianlite.com/news/uk-news/br...-against-isis/
Old 23-02-2015, 01:03 PM #140
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

yeah... can't see them shutting down the centre of London like they shut down the centre of Paris. And anyway, the Paris and Oslo actions were spontaneous, not organised by a promotions company complete with a statement photograph for the campaign.

Last edited by Livia; 23-02-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 23-02-2015, 01:26 PM #141

Quote:
There are #makingastand events being held across the UK

http://asianlite.com/news/uk-news/br...-against-isis/
Thanks for the link Kizzy. It would be nice to go and cheer them along.
I love the way the Muslim lady is using a union jack as a headscarf!
Old 23-02-2015, 01:32 PM #142
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

It will happen, it's happening all over Europe why wouldn't it happen here?
makingastand might be a jumping off point is all.
Old 23-02-2015, 01:59 PM #143
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Quote:
yeah... can't see them shutting down the centre of London like they shut down the centre of Paris. And anyway, the Paris and Oslo actions were spontaneous, not organised by a promotions company complete with a statement photograph for the campaign.
Do you not think there would be such a demonstration in London if we witnessed the couple of days that Paris did though? I know we've had terror attacks before as well (which in Lee Rigby's case at least did prompt some demonstrations from the Muslim community against the killers: http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-w...ng-islam-wrong) but I think the way that most the world is now uniting against Islamic extremism has meant that opposition to it is now mobilising in greater numbers. It could be that there's a greater appreciation of the problem now, a lot of the backlash to increased extremism originally manifested itself in some uncomfortable ways in this country with the rise of the EDL which made it difficult to rally widespread public opposition. In fairess the founder of the EDL did realise that hence his splitting from the movement and now works with the Quilliam foundation alongside Muslims.

I don't think that Muslims in the UK are less opposed to extremism than they are in France. If anything France has a greater problem with there being a large gulf between a lot of the Muslim community and the rest of France, a lot of them feeling marginalised and disillusioned by French society.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 02:34 PM #144
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Do you not think there would be such a demonstration in London if we witnessed the couple of days that Paris did though? I know we've had terror attacks before as well (which in Lee Rigby's case at least did prompt some demonstrations from the Muslim community against the killers: http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-w...ng-islam-wrong) but I think the way that most the world is now uniting against Islamic extremism has meant that opposition to it is now mobilising in greater numbers. It could be that there's a greater appreciation of the problem now, a lot of the backlash to increased extremism originally manifested itself in some uncomfortable ways in this country with the rise of the EDL which made it difficult to rally widespread public opposition. In fairess the founder of the EDL did realise that hence his splitting from the movement and now works with the Quilliam foundation alongside Muslims.

I don't think that Muslims in the UK are less opposed to extremism than they are in France. If anything France has a greater problem with there being a large gulf between a lot of the Muslim community and the rest of France, a lot of them feeling marginalised and disillusioned by French society.
I don't think for one minute that Muslims in the UK are less opposed to extremism, I just think the mind-set here is different. I don't think they feel the need to be vociferous because people in this country don't require the Muslim community to stand up. The reaction on this forum endorses that for me. When the kosher deli was attacked in Paris, some of the first comments up here were 'I hope the Muslim community isn't caught in a backlash', followed by comments that it was probably a coincidence it was a kosher deli and nothing to do with any kind of anti-Semitism. We have endless comments about Muslims and terrorists being two quite different things, which they are. Yet I have been questioned quite aggressively by more than one person about Israel's stance on Palestine simply because I'm Jewish, indeed, one poster said on the thread about the Jewish man being spat at in Paris, that we have to stop arming Israel.

I think that 7/7 was at least on a par with the Paris incident, don't you? What we're having here now is an orchestrated campaign with professional photographs to encourage people to take part, not a spontaneous outpouring of public solidarity.
Old 23-02-2015, 02:54 PM #145
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I don't think for one minute that Muslims in the UK are less opposed to extremism, I just think the mind-set here is different. I don't think they feel the need to be vociferous because people in this country don't require the Muslim community to stand up. The reaction on this forum endorses that for me. When the kosher deli was attacked in Paris, some of the first comments up here were 'I hope the Muslim community isn't caught in a backlash', followed by comments that it was probably a coincidence it was a kosher deli and nothing to do with any kind of anti-Semitism. We have endless comments about Muslims and terrorists being two quite different things, which they are. Yet I have been questioned quite aggressively by more than one person about Israel's stance on Palestine simply because I'm Jewish, indeed, one poster said on the thread about the Jewish man being spat at in Paris, that we have to stop arming Israel.

I think that 7/7 was at least on a par with the Paris incident, don't you? What we're having here now is an orchestrated campaign with professional photographs to encourage people to take part, not a spontaneous outpouring of public solidarity.
It's a bit of a reach to suggest the views of a handful on this forum reflect the feeling in the UK on any given topic let alone this one.
The Muslim community are standing up, I don't understand your point that they're not 'required' to.
As stated the public displays were a reaction to incidents, I hope that along with counter terrorism measures and the orchestrated campaign we can avoid any reactions to British attacks.
Old 23-02-2015, 02:56 PM #146

Quote:

Another sterling post Liv and every point valid.
Old 23-02-2015, 03:52 PM #147
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
It's a bit of a reach to suggest the views of a handful on this forum reflect the feeling in the UK on any given topic let alone this one.
The Muslim community are standing up, I don't understand your point that they're not 'required' to.
As stated the public displays were a reaction to incidents, I hope that along with counter terrorism measures and the orchestrated campaign we can avoid any reactions to British attacks.
I never said that. Go back and read my post again. I said the feeling on this forum ENDORSES the feeling in the country.

I would explain the rest of my post but it would end up going round in a HUGE circle and end up with you arguing semantics. So no.
Old 23-02-2015, 04:24 PM #148
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I never said that. Go back and read my post again. I said the feeling on this forum ENDORSES the feeling in the country.

I would explain the rest of my post but it would end up going round in a HUGE circle and end up with you arguing semantics. So no.
Me misquoting you that's novel, In my opinion it neither reflects the feeling in the country nor endorses it.
Old 23-02-2015, 04:29 PM #149
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Me misquoting you that's novel, In my opinion it neither reflects the feeling in the country nor endorses it.
I have never misquoted you. You've accused me of it and in response I've posted your own words back to you...

Well. it doesn't matter to me whether you agree or not because I was actually answering a post from MTVN. I quoted him...

So... are you going to answer every one of my posts today? Are you bored and looking for an argument? Because I'm not interested.
Old 23-02-2015, 04:36 PM #150
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

It's going to be a wasted post, Kizzy. I'm done talking to you today.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
21, beach, christians, coptic, cut, heads, isis, libyan, marches