Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 13-05-2015, 02:36 PM #451

Favourites (more):
CBB 11: Speidi
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):
CBB 11: Speidi
BB13: Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Lime, for the sake of balance, I think only one poster suggested shooting the rioters, and knowing that poster I would say it was not a serious comment. No one is against the right to peaceful protest. That's not what this turned into.
I get that Livia...I really do and I know that some of the protesters were scumbags.What annoys me is that some FM's mentioning that they would want to join the protests were labeled as disgusting but the poster you mention was not pulled up on his comments...I find his comments disgusting.
lime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 02:42 PM #452
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by lime View Post
I get that Livia...I really do and I know that some of the protesters were scumbags.What annoys me is that some FM's mentioning that they would want to join the protests were labeled as disgusting but the poster you mention was not pulled up on his comments...I find his comments disgusting.
I think we are probably a little cosseted in this country when it comes to riots and protests. You are looking as it from a much more serious angle, and luckily for us, we have never had to deal with a truly violent riot in this country the way you would understand them. Well, not for a long time. I do understand how you feel, but I think he was just angry, especially as the rioters had defaced a WW2 memorial.

Anyhoo... nice to see you!
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 03:00 PM #453
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
What's so bad about food banks btw? Is there something I'm missing with that? I think they are a great idea and Id be happy to donate tons of food.

They are a great example of local people helping local people and should be applauded and not hijacked by people claiming they represent some big fall into Victorian poverty

Food now is very cheap and is available just about everywhere. Back in the 70s with all the strikes and food only available in limited outlets and not on a sunday. that was tough

now?... please
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 03:10 PM #454
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
They are a great example of local people helping local people and should be applauded and not hijacked by people claiming they represent some big fall into Victorian poverty.
I don't think anyone has claimed that - but what they do represent is the massive wealth divide and the absolutely abysmal scope for progression or social mobility at the lower ends of that. How much people have relative to people 30 / 50 / 100 years ago is largely irrelevant.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 03:18 PM #455
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I don't think anyone has claimed that - but what they do represent is the massive wealth divide and the absolutely abysmal scope for progression or social mobility at the lower ends of that. How much people have relative to people 30 / 50 / 100 years ago is largely irrelevant.
Sorry, but I don't think that's what they represent at all. They represent a short term buffer that can be used to alleviate suffering until delays in benefit payments etc catch up with peoples needs. Take a look at the graphs from the charities own website.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 03:32 PM #456
You know my methods

You know my methods

I wnt into the RBS today for some milk and a pan loaf but the lady said they dont do that, made a quizzical face and sent me to the coop

well if that is how my local foodbank is operating then I am not impressed
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 03:39 PM #457
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Sorry, but I don't think that's what they represent at all. They represent a short term buffer that can be used to alleviate suffering until delays in benefit payments etc catch up with peoples needs. Take a look at the graphs from the charities own website.
When you say "delays in benefit payments" what you probably mean is "periods of sanctions imposed for failing to meet targets that are designed to be impossible to meet in order to achieve local sanctioning quotas"...
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 04:11 PM #458
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
When you say "delays in benefit payments" what you probably mean is "periods of sanctions imposed for failing to meet targets that are designed to be impossible to meet in order to achieve local sanctioning quotas"...
No it is not me meaning anything, I refer to the single largest contributory factor in the use of food banks, highlighted in the charities website for all to see.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 05:19 PM #459
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lime View Post

Yes,I agree 100%,it wasn't him who said that bit too.
I had already said I would join future protests because I believe in the cause and wrongs of these cuts being highlighted.

Then you see the comment, as to anyone saying as to others they would join such marches,being labelled as disgusting as likely the people who did the defacing.
Which I found to be a shocking generalised thing to direct at anyone feeling that way.

The point is some feel,no one should be able to protest at their chosen govt;,that is where I differ,
They possibly think the UK, is exclusively theirs.

Any govt; that was doing wrong, in my view, should face protests and also I'd go further, be made to address the issue too.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
power, riots, tory, westminister