Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB8 Big Brother 8 was won by Brian Belo. Post about 2007's series here.

Old 17-06-2007, 08:03 PM #1
Banned

Banned

Default \'On the couch\', best so far?

How good was On the couch tonight? The psychologists revealed....

- Ziggy and Chanelle's relationship is fake

- Billi has 'makevellian' tendancies and will probably try to steal Chanelle from Ziggy

- Charley has been overly aggressive to overcompensate for the lack of men, preventing her from using her sexuality. Also, she fancies Ziggy.

- Seany could be straight, and is 'in love' with Nicky.

Plus much more...

Great show, anybody else watch it?
the_chosen_one is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 08:05 PM #2

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Lauren Simon
BB2023: Chanelle

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Lauren Simon
BB2023: Chanelle

Well with the ziggy and chanelle thing it pretty much stated the obvious
Billy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 08:06 PM #3

I watched the last fifteen minutes, it was good, do you think they always get it right or not?
InTheFade is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 08:14 PM #4
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by InTheFade
do you think they always get it right or not?
I suppose it depends which parts youre referring to. I think they get their analysis correct (i.e explaining mannerisms, body language and gestures), why else would they be doing the job, but their predictions might not turn out correct depending on the circumstances.
Old 17-06-2007, 09:24 PM #5

how is seany "in love" with nicky?
sunlight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 09:43 PM #6

The best show so far, definitely. Finally, my thoughts on Ziggy have been confirmed. He is a manipulative little slime.
Arneldo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 09:48 PM #7

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Tamera Foster
I'maCeleb2013: Matthew Wright

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Tamera Foster
I'maCeleb2013: Matthew Wright

OTC was brilliant tonight! Loved it!
Matt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 09:48 PM #8

Thanks for this, I got into BB while studing Psychology, gutted I only caught the end. Dont suppose they touched upon Laura's relationship with Ziggy did they?

Oh and what was their reasons for them thinking Channelle and Ziggy's relationship is fake please?

Thought their comments on Charly's insecurity was spot on, but then it was a pretty obvious one.
Taijitu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 09:50 PM #9
Banned

Banned

I find it interesting but half this psychology stuff is bull i think. I don't think there is a surefire way to tell what soemone is thinking or what their Body language is saying and stuff everyone is unique so how do you know what they are thiking?
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 09:53 PM #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Taijitu
Thanks for this, I got into BB while studing Psychology, gutted I only caught the end. Dont suppose they touched upon Laura's relationship with Ziggy did they?

Oh and what was their reasons for them thinking Channelle and Ziggy's relationship is fake please?
They asked them questions in the DR and them looked at there body language. Ziggy seemed to like Chanelle because she is "trusting" which is a trait machiavellian people look for in people, it took him 8 seconds to answer. Chanelle seemed to show some regret and like she didn't trust him.

I cant really remember the full reasons but i think that's the main things they were saying. Its repeated tomorrow on E4.
Arneldo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 09:55 PM #11

Psychology doesnt really claim to be able to know what people are thinking but rather to get an idea of common behavioral patterns based on past research.

Problem is BB household isnt a normal setting so BB fans who have watched all the past shows can probably work out whats going on based on how housemates have turned out in the past.

Least thats how I see it.
Old 17-06-2007, 10:00 PM #12

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Lloyd Daniels

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Lloyd Daniels

I didn't watch it, after the one and only episode I watched I found it very boring and decided i'd never ever watch it again.
Matt08 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 10:02 PM #13

i watched the final to britans got talent woo go paul potts lol so i missed it would it be on again the one show i miss grrr
XxxsammiexxX is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 08:06 AM #14
Nah

Nah

I watched it once, I think it's like Big Brain, it's disapointing !
I think Davina needed to host a show like this, maybe she wanted to show her "professional" side.
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 08:23 AM #15

I love BB because I am interested in the psychological aspect of it. It is so facinating to see how people act and react in this social experiment because as someone else has pointed out this is not normal circumstances.

Last night was brilliant but then Ziggy talked about his feeling or should I say he started on his get out in the diary room. He's a clever bugger but Chanelle is just as clever as he is and is using him too. Ziggy will be out before she is and she will probably last till the top three. She's got better manipulation skills and can play dumb even though she (according to BBLB) is quite brilliant). But we are not talking about BBLB! I like the fact that the couch is on earlier and I don't Davina presenting it as she's a smart cookie and brings out the best in the pschologists. Dermot has different qualities and I never took to him on the big brain. The new show is a totally different animal.
Wiglet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 08:41 AM #16
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

I thought it was a great show.

The whole Chanelle Ziggy thing is a bit obvious but the following live show confirmed that Chanelle seems to be having 2nd thoughts about Ziggy. I found it funny for him to ask her if he was 'her type'. He's a slimy toad who's been found out.

The funniest part of one the couch was the analysis of Nicky. It confirmed what I'd already sussed that Nicky is a control freak. To any one who's wondering, the reason she can't get a man is because she won't let people do their own thing, she always has to quietly sway them to do what she wants them to do.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 02:59 PM #17

I too think it was a better show last night. However I think all this psychologist thing needs to be taken with the largest pinch of salt a skip can hold.

The rules of psychology has almost become like a religion (To closed minded).

I love the classic belief that if you sit with your feet pointing towards someone it means you like them.......Bull. If I point my feet towards someone it could well mean I want to kick the living daylights out of them.

There is always an alternative meaning to any human gesture and making up rules as to what means what is about as silly as astronomy predicting ones future......Good fun but take it with a pinch of salt......
bananarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 03:18 PM #18
Banned

Banned

I disagree, to an extent bananarama, although there is an element of doubt regarding the things these psychologists are saying about the housemates (or anyone, for that matter) these studies are the results of research into human behaviour and the parts they are trying to read are the parts where there is no element of doubt ( for instance, Ziggy touches his nose then his ear whilst he's saying he likes Chanelle, you could argue that it doesnt mean he doesnt like her, but you couldnt argue that these are not 'self comforting' gestures and so one has to wonder why Ziggy is uncomfortable saying these things), so when the psychologist gives their verdict, I would say maybe take it with a tiny little pinch of salt, because it's only his expert opinion, but don't dismiss it too far because he would have analysed many cases like this and he is working on experience and probability rather than 'stabs in the dark'.

Another argument could be that not eveybody can be 'read' so easily, but just like Derren Brown handpicks volunteers who are totally susceptable to his hypnotism, Big Brother will pick contestants who are perfect study cases for these behaviour psychologists, and you'll notice, the first episode of 'On the Couch' involved 30 minutes of highlights from the week aswell as 30 minutes of psychological analysis, but now that we're 3 weeks into the show the OTC show is using 60 minutes worth of psychological analysis because they are now comfortable with the amount of footage they are willing to put their name to.

Personally, I'm more inclined to trust in the information they give, rather than automatically dismiss their educated opinions concerning thier conclusions and predictions.
Old 18-06-2007, 03:28 PM #19

Quote:
Originally posted by Arneldo
The best show so far, definitely. Finally, my thoughts on Ziggy have been confirmed. He is a manipulative little slime.
nicely put
naem136 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 03:56 PM #20

Quote:
Originally posted by the_chosen_one
I disagree, to an extent bananarama, although there is an element of doubt regarding the things these psychologists are saying about the housemates (or anyone, for that matter) these studies are the results of research into human behaviour and the parts they are trying to read are the parts where there is no element of doubt ( for instance, Ziggy touches his nose then his ear whilst he's saying he likes Chanelle, you could argue that it doesnt mean he doesnt like her, but you couldnt argue that these are not 'self comforting' gestures and so one has to wonder why Ziggy is uncomfortable saying these things), so when the psychologist gives their verdict, I would say maybe take it with a tiny little pinch of salt, because it's only his expert opinion, but don't dismiss it too far because he would have analysed many cases like this and he is working on experience and probability rather than 'stabs in the dark'.

Another argument could be that not eveybody can be 'read' so easily, but just like Derren Brown handpicks volunteers who are totally susceptable to his hypnotism, Big Brother will pick contestants who are perfect study cases for these behaviour psychologists, and you'll notice, the first episode of 'On the Couch' involved 30 minutes of highlights from the week aswell as 30 minutes of psychological analysis, but now that we're 3 weeks into the show the OTC show is using 60 minutes worth of psychological analysis because they are now comfortable with the amount of footage they are willing to put their name to.

Personally, I'm more inclined to trust in the information they give, rather than automatically dismiss their educated opinions concerning thier conclusions and predictions.
Many thanks for your considered and well balanced response. I enjoy reading good counter views.
I have to confess when I am sceptical about something I do sometimes post with a degree of tounge in cheek (I have an odd sense of humour at times. )....Pinch of salt in a skip if you see what i mean.

I take on board what you say but I still believe it is far too dangerous expert or no expert to take their verdicts all that seriously....

For me to many assumtions are made that could lead to an injustice if actions were to be taken on such so called expert assumtions.

Human behavour can never be an exact science and what bothers me is when they talk in matter of fact terms about a science the results of which the science can be ambiguous....Regards. bananarama
bananarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 04:08 PM #21

watched BGT instead
Cody™ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 05:01 PM #22

Is it true that on OTC they said Charley's IQ was only 70?
Foebane100 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 05:05 PM #23

^that was on sundays BBLB, but shabnam scored an even lower IQ lol! Chanelle and Gerry got the highest IQ.
Cody™ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 08:52 PM #24

Quote:
Originally posted by the_chosen_one
for instance, Ziggy touches his nose then his ear whilst he's saying he likes Chanelle, you could argue that it doesnt mean he doesnt like her, but you couldnt argue that these are not 'self comforting' gestures and so one has to wonder why Ziggy is uncomfortable saying these things
Or he could just have an itchy nose and ear.

One of the more interesting psychological experiments Ive seen was with a group of 6 subject. Each were given a paragraph to read introducing a picture and were asked to remember what items were in the picture.

3 subjects remembered seeing a whip, a seal and a ball while the other three saw a cane, a dress and a ladies hat. All believed that there were two pictures. The truth however was that the pictures were the same the difference was that one paragraph said the picture was an advert for ballroom dancing, (a man with a tophat and cane and a woman in a ball gown and hat), while the other paragraph said the picture was of a circus advert (man with a top hat and whip with a seal balancing a ball).

Very much like the famous old lady/young lady picture 6 intelligent psychology students were fooled into thinking they were looking at two different pictures based only upon reading one paragraph.

What struck me from this was that if we can see the same thing in two very different ways after mearly reading one piece of text then what effect does years of experience make?

Hope I didnt bore you to death but it was a real eye opener for me, and hopefully relevent to the post .

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
'on, couch'