Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:09 AM #76
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Ah it's ok you saying that now your uni education is over, it's those who either had free or very low debt that begrudge anyone else been given a hand up it seems which is quite sad.
Is it another example of 'I'm alright jack?' I have my degree and my decent job so screw you...
Anyone from a low income family can expect to leave uni with a degree and a debt of £51,000 now.
Indeed, it's a hell of a lot of money to be paying back even for a graduate who gets a good job. Even if they commit to paying back £3000 a year it's going to take them until they're at least in their mid 40's.

And that, of course, is if we're in bizarro-land where every graduate has above average earnings or even any sort of graduate career at all. Many will simply have that debt sitting gathering interest forever, or be paying it at a low rate every single month until they retire.

The alternative being to create a drone workforce "race to the bottom" society where only a few privileged people bother with higher education at all.

I just hope that tuition remains free in Scotland for at least another 15 to 20 years, I would be utterly horrified to see my kids saddled with that sort of debt.

My own student debt is depressing enough, still sat at around £12000 and chipping at my payslip every month. I can't imagine being saddled with four times that, or more.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:10 AM #77
-

-

Quote:
Ah it's ok you saying that now your uni education is over, it's those who either had free or very low debt that begrudge anyone else been given a hand up it seems which is quite sad.
Is it another example of 'I'm alright jack?' I have my degree and my decent job so screw you...
Anyone from a low income family can expect to leave uni with a degree and a debt of £51,000 now.
Indeed, it's a hell of a lot of money to be paying back even for a graduate who gets a good job. Even if they commit to paying back £3000 a year it's going to take them until they're at least in their mid 40's.

And that, of course, is if we're in bizarro-land where every graduate has above average earnings or even any sort of graduate career at all. Many will simply have that debt sitting gathering interest forever, or be paying it at a low rate every single month until they retire.

The alternative being to create a drone workforce "race to the bottom" society where only a few privileged people bother with higher education at all.

I just hope that tuition remains free in Scotland for at least another 15 to 20 years, I would be utterly horrified to see my kids saddled with that sort of debt.

My own student debt is depressing enough, still sat at around £12000 and chipping at my payslip every month. I can't imagine being saddled with four times that, or more.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:44 AM #78
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I'm pretty sure what this 'northern powerhouse' is, proles from the north/ socially cleansed from the south working for a hand to mouth existence, paying inflated rent for a box room to landlords in the south.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:34 PM #79
User banned

User banned

have to say it was a poor budget overall.....the student grants unnecessary and unfair, the working tax was absurd, the £9 minimum wage is going to prove unaffordable in small businesses in poor areas...and was it index linked for 2020?
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:33 PM #80

the tories need to cut down child benefit, to three children only, single mums or couples who are not working, and are having up to five to eight children when they are not working and demand that we pay for there lifestyle, I know couples who work full time, and can just about afford one child, we need to wake up and think that child benefit should of been limited years ago,
empire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:54 PM #81
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire View Post
the tories need to cut down child benefit, to three children only, single mums or couples who are not working, and are having up to five to eight children when they are not working and demand that we pay for there lifestyle, I know couples who work full time, and can just about afford one child, we need to wake up and think that child benefit should of been limited years ago,
Child benefit is worth eff all though, £700 a year per child. It's piss in the ocean. It's not even a fraction of how much it costs to feed and clothe a child, especially a school-age child. No one is popping out kids for £700 a year, put it that way.

They've already capped child tax credits to 2 children and that should be sufficient.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:21 PM #82
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Noticed a post on facebook saying WTC from 2016 entitlement max will drop to £3,850 but minimum wage will rise to £7.20, WTC can be claimed if you work 16hrs a week.

16 X £7.20= £5,990.40

Therefore won't everyone earn too much to claim any WTC?
Old 12-07-2015, 03:27 PM #83
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Noticed a post on facebook saying WTC from 2016 entitlement max will drop to £3,850 but minimum wage will rise to £7.20, WTC can be claimed if you work 16hrs a week.

16 X £7.20= £5,990.40

good point....I can see the logic of what theyre trying to achieve but it just wont happen....simply put the employers in poorer areas of the uk cannot afford £9 an hour for the most basic jobs. this means massive job losses across the poorer areas
Old 12-07-2015, 04:22 PM #84
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Where did you get £9ph from?
Old 12-07-2015, 04:29 PM #85
-

-

Quote:

16 X £7.20= £5,990.40

No, £3850 is the new level where it starts dropping from the maximum. From there, it drops by 48p for every pound you earn over that amount per year. E.g. If you earn £6000 per year you will get

(6000 - 3850) x 0.48 = £1032 less than the maximum.

I believe maximum WTC per year for most circumstances is around £5000, the person in the above example would now get £3968 per year.

Worth noting that that person would currently be getting maximum allowance, so this hypothetical person - already on a low wage - is now over £1000 a year worse off.

You are otherwise right though, seems like it will be technically impossible for anyone to be receiving the "maximum amount", because anyone earning less than £3850 is below the minimum hours requirement.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:35 PM #86
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Where did you get £9ph from?
the budget

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bbc2hd, budget, conservative, itv1hd, news, skynewshd