Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 15-03-2016, 10:01 PM #1
Texas Forever

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB17: Andy

Texas Forever

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB17: Andy

Default Cross-Network play coming to Xbox

I never thought this would ever happen. Not sure how this will all work but i've got a few friends on the Xbox and we all play rocket league so this should be great if it does work. Will be interesting to see which games will allow it in the future.

Quote:
Cross-Network Play
First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/lett...Organic_3.14.4
Drew. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 10:04 PM #2
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Hopefully this means they'll finally let Final Fantasy XIV on their console (it has crossplay between PS3, PS4 and PC already)
Old 15-03-2016, 10:28 PM #3
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew. View Post
I never thought this would ever happen. Not sure how this will all work but i've got a few friends on the Xbox and we all play rocket league so this should be great if it does work. Will be interesting to see which games will allow it in the future.
Rocket league already has cross play between PS4 and PC, unfortunately not all aspects work. Everyone plays in the same league and you can be with people from either in "matchmaking" (either on your team or opponents) BUT, sadly, you can't make a team with people who are on the other type of system to consistently play together... it's only random match-ups with cross platform people.

It's something to do with server restrictions and they're working on it, but they have been for ages... I think it's basically because for the team "lobby" the PS4 uses PSN (and Xbone will be Xbox Live), not sure wither PC uses Steam or something 3rd party... but yeah, basically the systems can't access each others lobbies to form a team... it won't work unless they develop some sort of central "team making" lobby as part of the games own central servers, I'd imagine, which would probably involve huge basic changes and also increase the likelihood of unreliable connections.

Looked into it extensively because me and my wife play Rocket League on PS4, but I find that the viewing angle restrictions in split-screen are a HUGE drawback, so I was hoping that we could get it on Steam and then team up with one on PS4 and one on PC. Not possible
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
coming, crossnetwork, play, xbox