Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 28-06-2016, 12:49 PM #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Why do you think post-Brexit citizens will be any different to pre-Brexit citizens, though? We COULD stop these things from happening, but we won't. Like I said I find it idealised... like somehow people will all of a sudden "be better" - be more involved, demand more. I see not evidence that people won't be just as lame as ever . "Take what you're given! Don't complain, you copuld be starving in Africa! If the UK is so bad [blah blah blah]"
I didn’t vote out of this Union because of our neo-liberal government. Amongst other things, I voted out because our neo-liberal Union was always going to protect our neo-liberal government.

Whilst we can tar some of the leave voters with cloaked racism, a huge percent voted out because they were unhappy with an establishment who time and time again had blamed cuts to the working poor on ‘austerity’. Regardless of the protests against the harsh effects these cuts were having on the people of Britain, this government pushed on, whilst deliberately turning our class system into arch enemies.

Personally I don’t think that was a clever vote but what it does tell me is, this was as much about bringing down the British government as it was about coming out of Europe. In many ways it was a revolution and revolutions only happen when there are enough people willing to stand up and say, “we aint taking this siht”. That was a hard lesson for our government to learn and that alone will change politics in our favor for decades to come.

Why would we see evidence of anything yet? We are on the dawn of change and haven’t even signed Article 50.

Last edited by DemolitionRed; 28-06-2016 at 12:50 PM.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 12:57 PM #77
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
a huge percent voted out because they were unhappy with an establishment who time and time again had blamed cuts to the working poor on ‘austerity’. Regardless of the protests against the harsh effects these cuts were having on the people of Britain, this government pushed on, whilst deliberately turning our class system into arch enemies.

Personally I don’t think that was a clever vote but what it does tell me is, this was as much about bringing down the British government as it was about coming out of Europe. In many ways it was a revolution and revolutions only happen when there are enough people willing to stand up and say, “we aint taking this siht”.
That seems highly unlikely when 4 months ago the very same voters stood up and said "We sure ARE taking this sh*t. More! More sh*t please!".

The bulk of the people who voted leave are the very same people who would like to see any and all benefits stripped back as close to zero as possible. Let's not pretend otherwise. Britain out of the EU is going to be less balanced, and have a bigger wealth divide, than before.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 01:14 PM #78
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I agree, the tories had their wings clipped by the EU on many issues surrounding civil liberties, I expect those to disappear rapidly now.
Old 28-06-2016, 01:53 PM #79
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I agree, the tories had their wings clipped by the EU on many issues surrounding civil liberties, I expect those to disappear rapidly now.
Not only that but they have fresh justification. "We have to do this because YOU all chose to leave the EU so now YOU will have to accept he consequences... we have to cut: [huge list]"
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 02:01 PM #80
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Not only that but they have fresh justification. "We have to do this because YOU all chose to leave the EU so now YOU will have to accept he consequences... we have to cut: [huge list]"
Exact amundo.
Old 28-06-2016, 02:07 PM #81
You know my methods

You know my methods

you two better watch out or you will be on the shadow cabinet by teatime
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 02:35 PM #82
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
you two better watch out or you will be on the shadow cabinet by teatime