Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB18 Celebrity Big Brother Summer 2016 [CBB 18] won by Stephen Bear here.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:00 AM #226
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan

Who'd have thought that Biggins,with the few others in there who are more aggressive and volatile,that he would be the one thrown out first.

If we get to see the full reason he was evicted by BB and the full wording and it is as insinuated, then what an idiot he has been honestly.

He has sat on bbbots loads of times criticising others for what they say and do in a series and now this.

Being thrown out too, jeopardises his fee as well,e may not get any of it or certainly most of it.
What a waste of time him ever going in.

Wonderful Biggins,obviously not.
(just seen Thrice shy predicted he may end up going out like this, so one person did).
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:11 AM #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..it's not really about media witch hunts, any decisions that are made in terms of his employment etc are made with the biggest consideration of money/income and whether employing him would be a bad move because of reduced income and viewers 'switching off or switching over' for the very reasons that freedom is there to do that as well...
If you put him on a television show right now, viewing figures would go up. They won't put him on television though, because he has said something that offends a particular worldview. Compare that to, for example, someone like Miley Cyrus whose entire career is about offending a different worldview and the prominence she has gained by doing such things even though she probably does cause people to switch off.

The reason employing him would be a bad move is because there would be a witch hunt against any company that did it. This is how censorship works in societies that can't use the power of the state for such things. Yet. An example of this is the witch hunt that followed after it was revealed that Mozilla Chief Executive Brendan Eich had donated to campaigns opposing same sex marriage.

Last edited by Yaki da; 06-08-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Yaki da is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:12 AM #228
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

Biggins is removed, and the vile bullies like Marnie and Lewis stay in the house, that is what i call injustice
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:14 AM #229
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..well I'm really glad that he's said what he has and showed the full extent of his thoughts/prejudices/bigotries' etc..it's always good to know these things in people and with celebrities, so that we can decide whether we want to contribute to their incomes ..
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:38 AM #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..well I'm really glad that he's said what he has and showed the full extent of his thoughts/prejudices/bigotries' etc..it's always good to know these things in people and with celebrities, so that we can decide whether we want to contribute to their incomes ..
tru dat..
camertone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:50 AM #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
Biggins is removed, and the vile bullies like Marnie and Lewis stay in the house, that is what i call injustice
A lot of people say she is going to win. But I fail to see why she should win.
Gusto Brunt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:27 AM #232
Banned

Banned

Can he now be removed from television?
Xanzia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:38 AM #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanzia View Post
Can he now be removed from television?

Yes At Last.

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:05 AM #234
-

-

an odd one, but I'm gonna wait and see what he was ejected for before I judge. he's a favourite of the production team so I don't think they would have wanted to chuck him out
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:31 AM #235
Virtual Biscuit Eater

Favourites (more):
CBB14: Audley
CBB 11: Speidi
Virtual Biscuit Eater

Favourites (more):
CBB14: Audley
CBB 11: Speidi

That's the problem, without the knowing the truth we cannot comment, only judge from rumours.

Very frustrating.
Robodog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:42 AM #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Pretty sure every bisexual person watching [myself included] found his comments ridiculous and offensive as well, am I just a twat too?
I don't wish to pick a fight, but yes I think you are. I agree his comment was ridiculous, but Biggins is simply an un-PC luvvie with some old fashioned mistaken ideas. Why on earth should anyone be offended. Feel sorry for him, cross him off your Christmas card list or whatever, but are you so precious that you need to take offence, and does our society have to keep drifting in the direction of oppressive punishment for the smallest of thought crimes? If you aren't impressed by this argument, be aware that in 40 or 50 years time some of your beliefs today might have become a thought crime too. In the absence of freedom of speech, the shoe might be on the other foot then.

If I can also add, this episode confirms what I've always thought. If you are seen as a "goodie" on the outside, even worse if you are a national treasure as Biggins was, you should never go on CBB. Everyone eventually cracks on BB and if you are seen as a nice person initially the only way is down once you've said something wrong, and the merciless vengeful pack will descend on you and destroy you. On the other hand, if you go in as a "baddie", the slightest display of a better side will be lauded. It will be said you've been on a "journey", and you will be loved. I have every expectation, with the proviso they are clever enough to see this, that Bear and Marni will try and follow this path.

Last edited by johne; 06-08-2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added last para
johne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:02 AM #237
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun
am I just a twat too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne View Post
I don't wish to pick a fight, but yes I think you are.

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:26 AM #238

Quote:
I don't wish to pick a fight, but yes I think you are. I agree his comment was ridiculous, but Biggins is simply an un-PC luvvie with some old fashioned mistaken ideas. Why on earth should anyone be offended. Feel sorry for him, cross him off your Christmas card list or whatever, but are you so precious that you need to take offence, and does our society have to keep drifting in the direction of oppressive punishment for the smallest of thought crimes? If you aren't impressed by this argument, be aware that in 40 or 50 years time some of your beliefs today might have become a thought crime too. In the absence of freedom of speech, the shoe might be on the other foot then.

If I can also add, this episode confirms what I've always thought. If you are seen as a "goodie" on the outside, even worse if you are a national treasure as Biggins was, you should never go on CBB. Everyone eventually cracks on BB and if you are seen as a nice person initially the only way is down once you've said something wrong, and the merciless vengeful pack will descend on you and destroy you. On the other hand, if you go in as a "baddie", the slightest display of a better side will be lauded. It will be said you've been on a "journey", and you will be loved. I have every expectation, with the proviso they are clever enough to see this, that Bear and Marni will try and follow this path.
I see it exactly like you do too, why would people care what a silly old queen like Biggins thinks...and why hadn't they already worked it our for themselves anyway. It's always been glaringly obvious to me what he's like. I would hate to be someone he approves of so I'm actually quite jealous of the bi guys now The gay community love to pounce and they are meaner with each other than they are with anyone else. Biggins gossip value on the gay scene is more valuable than any moral injustice people claim to feel.
hot2go is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:33 AM #239
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

I've been away and last night was my first highlight show I've watched since launch night. I can't comment that much on the bisexual comments, but from what I've read I think people have the right to be offended by what he said. idk why people think it's necessary to put his ignorance on the people who have been vocal about his derogatory comment.

I'm going to have to wait and see what I make of the situation of him being ejected.
Braden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:53 AM #240

Quote:
I don't wish to pick a fight, but yes I think you are.
Thanks for pointing this out, Toy Soldier. I wouldn't accuse anyone directly of being a tw*t on a message board, I was just answering his/her question, but I apologise anyway for this reply, as I said, it's not what I would have said if that question hadn't been posed.

Last edited by johne; 06-08-2016 at 11:54 AM.
johne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:14 PM #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot2go View Post
I see it exactly like you do too, why would people care what a silly old queen like Biggins thinks...and why hadn't they already worked it our for themselves anyway. It's always been glaringly obvious to me what he's like. I would hate to be someone he approves of so I'm actually quite jealous of the bi guys now The gay community love to pounce and they are meaner with each other than they are with anyone else. Biggins gossip value on the gay scene is more valuable than any moral injustice people claim to feel.
The point being made is that Biggins is another victim of PC sensibilities. You say you agree and then condemn him ("It's always been glaringly obvious to me what he's like.") and then have a swipe at the gay community. Are gay people really 'meaner' than anyone else?
halfacrown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:34 PM #242

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2019: Karim Zeroual
BB18: Isabelle

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2019: Karim Zeroual
BB18: Isabelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfacrown View Post
The mania for being a victim and giving other human beings titles like 'Bigot', 'Misogynist' etc - which reduce the accused to the status of non-person - has now entered the BB house. As it happens I don't agree with Biggins' comments about bi people., but I'm old enough to understand that he grew up in a world where the visibility of gay people was negligible . If gay people were mentioned at all, it was seen as a medical or criminal condition. The whole gay movement has been built on visibility and the strength to come out of the closet. It was a physical battle, literally a daily battle against the risk of black eyes , broken ribs or worse: much worse. Biggins comes from the time where many gay people pretended to be bi as it was seen as more 'acceptable' and straight people often believed that bi people would simply straighten themselves out. Thirty years or more ago the LGBT battle lines were drawn and people were upfront and blunt: they simply did not have a fear of names or opinions. The world has gone mad, with adults no longer able to cope with different opinions or words, or stand up to fight and win an argument. Any bi people, offended or not, should bow down to the Biggins of this world. Without their struggle, they would simply not be able to go about their business or enjoy the state of being constantly offended.
As for causing offence, was it not a couple of weeks ago that Chanel 5 showed a man sucking on a woman's nipple and the same women appearing to get fingered under the bed sheets? It didn't offend me but I'm sure plenty of people would be offended by it. The right to offend is absolutely crucial to the principal of Free Speech.
Thank you for this. This puts Biggins comments very clearly in context, and highlights the reason for generational differences. Although Biggins did cause offence to some, your post outlines the probable reasons behind this, as well as encouraging people to reconsider his intentions. If offence is not meant, it is easier to dismiss a comment, and I am sure Biggins would willingly apologise if he was told that he has caused offence.

What I find intolerable is when certain people on here group together to take part in an offensive and insulting onslaught of abuse directed at another forum member, and even worse, to continue to do so even after they have been clearly told they are causing offence.

You have stated the other side of the debate in a civil and informative way, which enables people to look at another side of the debate.
Garfie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:34 PM #243

Quote:
The point being made is that Biggins is another victim of PC sensibilities. You say you agree and then condemn him ("It's always been glaringly obvious to me what he's like.") and then have a swipe at the gay community. Are gay people really 'meaner' than anyone else?
I don't think Biggins is a victim and I don't like him either....I just don't care what his views are any more than I care what Donald Trumps views are....I think I can work out why he's the way he is but he's not relevant enough for it to upset me.
The gay community will enjoy the gossip far more than they will dislike the comment. And they will shut him out in an instant if his face no longer fits. In my experience the rivalry between gay guys and their gay friends is far greater than the rivalry between gay guys and their straight friends....if he thinks the gay community will have his back he is mistaken.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:45 PM #244

Quote:
The mania for being a victim and giving other human beings titles like 'Bigot', 'Misogynist' etc - which reduce the accused to the status of non-person - has now entered the BB house. As it happens I don't agree with Biggins' comments about bi people., but I'm old enough to understand that he grew up in a world where the visibility of gay people was negligible . If gay people were mentioned at all, it was seen as a medical or criminal condition. The whole gay movement has been built on visibility and the strength to come out of the closet. It was a physical battle, literally a daily battle against the risk of black eyes , broken ribs or worse: much worse. Biggins comes from the time where many gay people pretended to be bi as it was seen as more 'acceptable' and straight people often believed that bi people would simply straighten themselves out. Thirty years or more ago the LGBT battle lines were drawn and people were upfront and blunt: they simply did not have a fear of names or opinions. The world has gone mad, with adults no longer able to cope with different opinions or words, or stand up to fight and win an argument. Any bi people, offended or not, should bow down to the Biggins of this world. Without their struggle, they would simply not be able to go about their business or enjoy the state of being constantly offended.
As for causing offence, was it not a couple of weeks ago that Chanel 5 showed a man sucking on a woman's nipple and the same women appearing to get fingered under the bed sheets? It didn't offend me but I'm sure plenty of people would be offended by it. The right to offend is absolutely crucial to the principal of Free Speech.
You may think I have a different view on this to you but I def don't....your post is exactly what I've been saying for days ...I think Biggins is a silly old fart and I've never liked him but I do think he has personal experiences and reasons for being a silly old fart with his views regarding bisexuals. I also think people love to jump on something and claim to be more offended then they actually are....who gives a sh-t what Biggins thinks, Christ...if I expected him to say anything I agreed with id be more worried.
It's quite ironic that I spent the week before he made the comment being told I was terrible for saying I can't stand him,when everyone thought he was wonderful, and now I've got the same people telling me I'm terrible for seeing his perspective.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:02 PM #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfie View Post
Thank you for this. This puts Biggins comments very clearly in context, and highlights the reason for generational differences. Although Biggins did cause offence to some, your post outlines the probable reasons behind this, as well as encouraging people to reconsider his intentions. If offence is not meant, it is easier to dismiss a comment, and I am sure Biggins would willingly apologise if he was told that he has caused offence.

What I find intolerable is when certain people on here group together to take part in an offensive and insulting onslaught of abuse directed at another forum member, and even worse, to continue to do so even after they have been clearly told they are causing offence.

You have stated the other side of the debate in a civil and informative way, which enables people to look at another side of the debate.
The problem being that there is too much 'offence' and too little debate. Worse still is that when somebody has been deemed offensive or a bigot they are then condemned and become non-people, no longer able to pursue their lives. Those who rush to claim their victimhood, over mere opinion, become the bullies. This is where the notion of Cry Bullies comes from.
My understanding is that Biggins was talking about gay people who pretend to be bi. He was pointing out that some gay people pretend to be bi in order more easily to gain acceptance.
There is a weird desire to share oppression and to perceive opinions as crimes. Free Speech is even more important than freedom from Hate Speech. It's a tough idea for people to accept but the right to cause offence is vital to the concept of Free Speech.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:18 PM #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot2go View Post
You may think I have a different view on this to you but I def don't....your post is exactly what I've been saying for days ...I think Biggins is a silly old fart and I've never liked him but I do think he has personal experiences and reasons for being a silly old fart with his views regarding bisexuals. I also think people love to jump on something and claim to be more offended then they actually are....who gives a sh-t what Biggins thinks, Christ...if I expected him to say anything I agreed with id be more worried.
It's quite ironic that I spent the week before he made the comment being told I was terrible for saying I can't stand him,when everyone thought he was wonderful, and now I've got the same people telling me I'm terrible for seeing his perspective.
Okay, we're on the same page regarding people's hypersensitivity. I find it more difficult to understand the extent of your dislike of Biggins, nor do I agree with your observations regarding gay people. You seem very caught up in clichéd ideas about 'gossipy', 'bitchy' gays. Trust me, nobody enjoys being trivialised, either for being gay or being old.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:32 PM #247
sees everything

Favourites:
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
sees everything

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Is She? View Post
You're not entitled to have any opinion on things like sexuality IMO. There shouldn't need to be an opinion there. It is what it is. It shouldn't have to be debated. Bisexuals are just biseuxals. We don't need people sticking their two cents in on that.
you know, that's one of the scariest things i've seen here
Jan S is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:39 PM #248
sees everything

Favourites:
sees everything

Favourites:

i don't like biggins. he's exactly what hot2go calls him = a silly old fart

having said that, if that transcript is true (and i'm not at all sure it can be) then he must have been drunk, is suffering from senility, or having some absolute mental crisis! his beliefs match those of an era long gone; 37 years ago i had a boss who thought that way and he was in his late 60's. biggins may hold those views, but to open his mouth and let them escape on tv? i find that really hard to believe. i hope it's not true - not for his sake, but for the sake of believing things have moved on so much farther than when i first worked in a london office with an old colonial bigot.

Last edited by Jan S; 06-08-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Jan S is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:47 PM #249

Quote:
Okay, we're on the same page regarding people's hypersensitivity. I find it more difficult to understand the extent of your dislike of Biggins, nor do I agree with your observations regarding gay people. You seem very caught up in clichéd ideas about 'gossipy', 'bitchy' gays. Trust me, nobody enjoys being trivialised, either for being gay or being old.
Well I'm gay and not young and I speak from my own experiences....I don't like Biggins because i find him totally fake and self serving not because he's gay.
And I do believe that the gossip surrounding him will have a bigger impact on the gay scene then the impact of his out dated opinions.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:50 PM #250

Oh dear:

Big Brother UK ‏@bbuk · 46m46 minutes ago

We can confirm that a transcript claiming to relate to Christopher Biggins' removal from the #CBB house is 100% fake
ThriceShy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
big brother, biggins, breaking, christopher, house, merged, removed