Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 28-10-2016, 11:14 AM #76
Banned

Banned

People that complain about 'PC gone mad' are often the same people who have bigotted views and can't accept that the world has moved on from a point when their views were considered the majority.

As I've said a thousand times, you're entitled to your opinion but so is everyone else and everyone is entitled to their thoughts on other opinions too. Too many people think that 'I'm entitled to my opinion' means 'You can't question my opinion or have an opinion that opposes mine'.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 12:42 PM #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
What on earth are you on about.... Where have I said someone can't have an opinion?
How can I defend 'PC' when nobody appears to be able to define it?
It has been defined, but you just refuse to accept the definition.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 12:47 PM #78
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
It has been defined, but you just refuse to accept the definition.
Nope, what NM posted was not a definition as he said himself it relies on what is 'perceived' and that can change from person to person.
Old 28-10-2016, 01:35 PM #79

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Nope, what NM posted was not a definition as he said himself it relies on what is 'perceived' and that can change from person to person.
This makes no sense and appears to be reaching further than a Stretch Armstrong doll.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 01:41 PM #80
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
This makes no sense and appears to be reaching further than a Stretch Armstrong doll.
What? You yourself said the dictionary definition you posted focused on the word 'perceived' :/
Old 28-10-2016, 01:44 PM #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post

Old 28-10-2016, 02:21 PM #82
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
There is nothing to research.
I mean 80% of the posts on the first page blamed an entirely different religion, although alot have rightfully been removed now. So perhaps research can be good. There are compromises to make in life, cultures conflict and religions are the main priorities to some people, this should be respected. Crying equal rights for all whilst saying religious people should skirt around the beliefs you dont like is just a bit hypocritical.

Their intentions were not sexist, it was the opposite, it was out of respect for the woman. Not researching this and making untrue assumptions is just intolerant.

The airline didnt handle this correctly, the woman certainly didnt handle this correctly, the monks should have probably explained themselves better to avoid the confusion from the woman and those who havent researched on this thread, but perhaps they didnt realise how little people know about cultural differences.
Old 28-10-2016, 04:08 PM #83

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
I mean 80% of the posts on the first page blamed an entirely different religion, although alot have rightfully been removed now. So perhaps research can be good. There are compromises to make in life, cultures conflict and religions are the main priorities to some people, this should be respected. Crying equal rights for all whilst saying religious people should skirt around the beliefs you dont like is just a bit hypocritical.

Their intentions were not sexist, it was the opposite, it was out of respect for the woman. Not researching this and making untrue assumptions is just intolerant.

The airline didnt handle this correctly, the woman certainly didnt handle this correctly, the monks should have probably explained themselves better to avoid the confusion from the woman and those who havent researched on this thread, but perhaps they didnt realise how little people know about cultural differences.
No religious belief is more important than the right of human equality. It's simple, not hypocritical at all. You can believe in fairies if you like, as long as you don't presume to infer that your belief in fairies somehow makes someone else less worthy to sit next to you. You have no way of knowing what their intentions were. But the simple fact is demanding not to sit next to a woman is sexist. Cultural differences piffle.

When you are busy pandering to others beliefs are you also agreeable with people, usually women, being stoned to death for appostacy or adultery? Those are religious beliefs too.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 28-10-2016 at 04:35 PM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 05:27 PM #84
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No religious belief is more important than the right of human equality. It's simple, not hypocritical at all. You can believe in fairies if you like, as long as you don't presume to infer that your belief in fairies somehow makes someone else less worthy to sit next to you. You have no way of knowing what their intentions were. But the simple fact is demanding not to sit next to a woman is sexist. Cultural differences piffle.

When you are busy pandering to others beliefs are you also agreeable with people, usually women, being stoned to death for appostacy or adultery? Those are religious beliefs too.
Bit in bold never happened though so your entire point is irrelevant, we do know what their intentions were because we understand buddhism and sunyata. There are battles to fight, this shouldnt be one of them. (It wouldnt be with a bit of research anyway)
Old 28-10-2016, 06:29 PM #85
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Bah! PC research? No thank you!
Old 28-10-2016, 07:45 PM #86

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Bit in bold never happened though so your entire point is irrelevant, we do know what their intentions were because we understand buddhism and sunyata. There are battles to fight, this shouldnt be one of them. (It wouldnt be with a bit of research anyway)
Irrelevant piffle. As I pointed out, I don't care what brand of fairies they believed in.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 28-10-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 28-10-2016, 07:52 PM #87
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Irrelevant piffle.
It kinda explains the whole situation though
Old 28-10-2016, 09:44 PM #88
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Irrelevant piffle. As I pointed out, I don't care what brand of fairies they believed in.
Then dont make a comment on their actions haha.

Youre refusing half of the story and expecting everyone to agree with you... Well no, some like 2 halves before they make a conclusion.

Last edited by Withano; 28-10-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:16 PM #89

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Then dont make a comment on their actions haha.

Youre refusing half of the story and expecting everyone to agree with you... Well no, some like 2 halves before they make a conclusion.
There is nothing to refuse, it doesn't matter what fantasy they believe in, a belief is not more important than a person. It's not hard to understand.

― Richard Dawkins
Old 28-10-2016, 10:33 PM #90
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Completely agree with you Jaxie. Religious beliefs don't take precedence over law, and last time I checked woman are not considered second class passengers
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:38 PM #91

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Completely agree with you Jaxie. Religious beliefs don't take precedence over law, and last time I checked woman are not considered second class passengers
Exactly!

― Richard Dawkins
Old 29-10-2016, 08:05 AM #92
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No, how did you even get that from what ive said lol. The poster that I quoted just cant cry for common decency when their posts lack the exact same thing in this thread.

The video could also be titled 'angry woman would rather force novice buddhist out of their religion than switch seats' but it wasnt, the title went on about muslims so of course its a big deal. Monks who reach sunyata can sit next to women, monks who spend their whole life practicing for a religion but have not yet reached sunyata would rather not because of the respect that they have for women.

But of course because of the title the uploader gave the video, this is a big deal and its all muslims fault, this woman is hard done by and theres no point researching it a tiny bit further. Give over.

Interesting, bringing this back to this Christian cake story, in your view then as it seems we can accept religious practices if it suits us, that story should have been spun as gay couple take Christian baker to court over beliefs when they could have gone down the road and ordered elsewhere
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 08:14 AM #93

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Interesting, bringing this back to this Christian cake story, in your view then as it seems we can accept religious practices if it suits us, that story should have been spun as gay couple take Christian baker to court over beliefs when they could have gone down the road and ordered elsewhere
Exactly
Or 'gay couple try to stop Christians practicing their beliefs rather than using alternative cake maker'.
Anything can be spun
Old 29-10-2016, 08:26 AM #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
O-U-C-H!!!!!!

Old 29-10-2016, 08:50 AM #95
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..I do have to say that I have to step in for Withano here and all he's trying to say because he isn't saying that discrimination by the airline didn't take place any I don't see any 'ouch' here...with the Christian baker story, there was no 'spinning' that took place, the headlines ware factual...Christian baker being sued over refusal to make Bert and Ernie-themed gay marriage cake says she 'knew in her heart' she couldn't complete the order

...that was one media headline but they're all in the same vein of containing fact../no spinning at all and rightly, they we found to show discrimination in the courts because they did...with this headline in the vid and on news media sites, there isn't the same factual involved at all, it's almost totally inaccurate...the two people were Pakastani monks and they didn't 'force' anything, it wasn't in the control to do so... that was a decision made by the airline alone, all they could do was to request...but the airline chose to discriminate on gender.../that's clear cut and the lady has an option to bring legal action against the airline if she so chooses to do so.../that's her decision as the airline made theirs as the airline made theirs and discriminated against her in doing so....

...honestly some SD threads start to lose interest pretty quickly in how personal they seem to get with 'point scoring' that it's easy to wonder how much is in concern of the discrimination or story itself...so much 'concern' (by some, I will add that..)...about the respect of a female in this story and yet not the same respect for any female apparent at all when Donald Trump totally and completely disrespects females and more or less said that he practised sexual abuse of females and a defence of his age and his back in the day ways.../streuth....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 09:08 AM #96
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
/streuth....
Waiting for more ammi Aussie banter

I do agree with what you are saying, the airline are ultimately responsible for the situation. However, making the request of them in the first place is out of order and rightly deserves criticism too
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 09:12 AM #97

Irrespective of any other argument, Cherie identified a flaw in Withano's argument and the point she made is irrefutably true.

Besides being humorous.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 29-10-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 29-10-2016, 09:28 AM #98
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..(I think, personally of course..)...that it's overlooking what he's saying by considering it 'an argument' because all he's really saying is that the world and situations are not black and white..I don't think anyone is disputing things that Jaxie has said in that the law is though/black and white and that discrimination did take place by the airline...and the lady is fully entitled to take action with that...but 'understanding' of cultures and religions/beliefs as well is what brings the colour to the world because that's a huge part in general tolerances..it doesn't mean the world has to accommodate but understanding/tolerance is never a bad thing..and I mean tolerance in everything should be had and also respect.../that doesn't mean that unlawful discrimination should ever play a part of that though...I wouldn't expect anything else from Withano, being the person that he is and having spent a large part of his adult life doing vocational work in 'differing cultures'..that he shows interest in a culture/belief involved as well and hopes for tolerance and 'colour' to be added....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 09:30 AM #99
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..I do have to say that I have to step in for Withano here and all he's trying to say because he isn't saying that discrimination by the airline didn't take place any I don't see any 'ouch' here...with the Christian baker story, there was no 'spinning' that took place, the headlines ware factual...Christian baker being sued over refusal to make Bert and Ernie-themed gay marriage cake says she 'knew in her heart' she couldn't complete the order

...that was one media headline but they're all in the same vein of containing fact../no spinning at all and rightly, they we found to show discrimination in the courts because they did...with this headline in the vid and on news media sites, there isn't the same factual involved at all, it's almost totally inaccurate...the two people were Pakastani monks and they didn't 'force' anything, it wasn't in the control to do so... that was a decision made by the airline alone, all they could do was to request...but the airline chose to discriminate on gender.../that's clear cut and the lady has an option to bring legal action against the airline if she so chooses to do so.../that's her decision as the airline made theirs as the airline made theirs and discriminated against her in doing so....

...honestly some SD threads start to lose interest pretty quickly in how personal they seem to get with 'point scoring' that it's easy to wonder how much is in concern of the discrimination or story itself...so much 'concern' (by some, I will add that..)...about the respect of a female in this story and yet not the same respect for any female apparent at all when Donald Trump totally and completely disrespects females and more or less said that he practised sexual abuse of females and a defence of his age and his back in the day ways.../streuth....

With all due respect Ammi I don't see why you have to step in to help anyone? posts are made and responded to? I made a point based on Withanos (im beginning to think he is 5 ) post which to me seems pretty obvious, you have said all along through the thread you couldn't see the similarities between the two cases and I respect that, so I assume you again can't see where I am coming from on this
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 09:32 AM #100

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Also we've already established that the religion of these two is not important to the story.It shouldn't have happened on any airline but especially not a western one where womens rights are equal to mens.The way this was reported is inconsequential to the outcome.The religion keeps getting brought up but that doesn't change the fact that a woman was forced out of her seat which she had paid for.The bad reporting is just a distraction to the issue.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
flight, forced, move, seats, woman