Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 23-11-2016, 07:53 PM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Default How long until humans get to another galaxy?

Here's your answer....
I fecking love this guy(no homo).I would spend my full wage on buying him beers just to listen to him talking.
He's like the David Attenborough of science imo

Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 08:12 PM #2
-

-

Actually if you drop a series of stargates in the empty space between the two galaxies and hack them to forward the buffered information from one to the next without exiting the network (except at the midway point where you need to leave the Milky Way network and join the other galaxy's network, you have to exit into a little space station for a couple of minutes then) you can do it in like 10 mins. Science Fact.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 08:43 PM #3
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

You could just do it the Mass Effect Andromeda way and send a ship to Andromeda with the majority of its occupants in stasis
Old 23-11-2016, 08:58 PM #4

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Actually if you drop a series of stargates in the empty space between the two galaxies and hack them to forward the buffered information from one to the next without exiting the network (except at the midway point where you need to leave the Milky Way network and join the other galaxy's network, you have to exit into a little space station for a couple of minutes then) you can do it in like 10 mins. Science Fact.
Haha.I'd say more science fiction.Since we don't currently have stargates.You'd need some in our own galaxy too to get us out.Otherwise it's like one hundred thousand years at light speed just to exit the Milky Way.
Old 23-11-2016, 08:59 PM #5

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
You could just do it the Mass Effect Andromeda way and send a ship to Andromeda with the majority of its occupants in stasis
That would be good if we didn't have warp drives or stargates
Old 23-11-2016, 09:06 PM #6
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Thing is though, if I remember right from the info, it's supposed to have taken a few hundred years for them to travel between galaxies right? Which is still much faster than light. I have a theory that if FTL travel was possible, and assuming that intelligent alien life exists (which it definitely must, at all sorts of stages of development, just statistically speaking), then we would definitely already know about it. As we haven't heard from anyone... Or been obliterated by anyone... Already, then I would be fairly confident in saying that FTL travel simply isn't scientifically possible, ever, for anyone.

Which is sort of sad / ironic, really. The universe must be absolutely FULL of life... But the vast majority of species out there will never make contact with another. It'll happen occasionally I'm sure, where by coincidence there are two planets with intelligent life in the same region of space (or even the same solar system) and they're close enough to make at least communicative contact if not physical contact, but most (like us) will be effectively "alone".

IF we don't wipe ourselves out eventually (which is most likely) I do think we will eventually have other inhabited planets... But it'll just be human colonies. Or I guess in theory... Highly evolved versions of other earth-born life? Bird people?
Old 23-11-2016, 10:11 PM #7

Fermi paradox questions why we have no evidence of alien intelligence given the universe is billions of years old, and it would only take a fraction of that time for a sufficiently advanced civilisation to traverse, say, the Milky Way galaxy. Maybe we are the only instance in the universe of life or intelligence starting? We can't rule that out.

Generation ships or Self-replicating machine ships might be the best hope of travelling to other galaxies if faster-than-light type travel is not possible.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:39 PM #8
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Fermi paradox questions why we have no evidence of alien intelligence given the universe is billions of years old, and it would only take a fraction of that time for a sufficiently advanced civilisation to traverse, say, the Milky Way galaxy. Maybe we are the only instance in the universe of life or intelligence starting? We can't rule that out.
That's why I think FTL (faster than light) travel may well be entirely impossible at any level of technological capability. I think we more or less CAN rule out being the only instance of intelligent life. The universe is unimaginable in scale and, as you say, billions of years old. We know that life is possible, because we exist. Apply that possibility to near-infinity and the chances that it has only happened once are improbable to the point of impossibility.

And yet, as you say, zero evidence of other intelligent alien life... but that stops being a paradox if you take the bold part out of the equation. True that even at the fastest sub-light speeds you could cross the galaxy in a fraction of that time... but would it ever be feasible or desirable? Would any being intelligent enough to develop the technology to travel through space for generations, taking YEARS to even get from one star to the next, actually bother to do so? IMO the absence of "warp" or "wormhole" travel makes the exploration of anything but the "nearest" star systems impractical. It probably simply can't be done.
Old 24-11-2016, 01:35 AM #9

"if faster-than-light type travel is not possible"

Yes and another way is Sending a 10 year old boy
who will 50 when he arrives at the 2nd Earth.
Fully Educated via Computer on board,

I did a thread on this some years back.
The 2nd Earth is Fantastic
if the folks on that planet do not like us
we will kill them all , later on.

Now that Lad now 50 years old
can fight , make love , solve sewer problems etc.

Its How We on this Earth
will carry on.

No Gene Roddenberry of Star Trek
writer to stop us.

Feel The Force .........James

Last edited by arista; 24-11-2016 at 01:38 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 06:33 AM #10

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
That's why I think FTL (faster than light) travel may well be entirely impossible at any level of technological capability. I think we more or less CAN rule out being the only instance of intelligent life. The universe is unimaginable in scale and, as you say, billions of years old. We know that life is possible, because we exist. Apply that possibility to near-infinity and the chances that it has only happened once are improbable to the point of impossibility.

And yet, as you say, zero evidence of other intelligent alien life... but that stops being a paradox if you take the bold part out of the equation. True that even at the fastest sub-light speeds you could cross the galaxy in a fraction of that time... but would it ever be feasible or desirable? Would any being intelligent enough to develop the technology to travel through space for generations, taking YEARS to even get from one star to the next, actually bother to do so? IMO the absence of "warp" or "wormhole" travel makes the exploration of anything but the "nearest" star systems impractical. It probably simply can't be done.
Yeah i agree that no more life in the universe is highly unlikely.Life on Earth only took a very short amount of time to occur after the planet became less volatile.Only a few hundred million years I believe.If it happened that quickly here then chances are it's happened everywhere.There will be planets still going through their cave man era,Roman empire type era and also much more advanced than us.
Old 24-11-2016, 07:07 AM #11

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

The FTL drive would awesome if possible.But i'm not sure if anything could go faster than light.Even if so...How much faster than light would you need to go?Even if if you could go three times faster then it's still gonna take you 33,000 years just to leave our galaxy.That's crazy.
Old 24-11-2016, 10:19 AM #12

Quote:

One of the reasons I have some doubts (now) about intelligent life existing elsewhere in the universe is that on Earth simple single-cell life started quite quickly, after conditions became right, but it took about 2 billion years for eukaryotic cells to come about which led to complex living organisms, and scientists think that this only happened because of a single chance encounter.

There's this Brian Cox video where he explains it - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p029n23h
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 10:33 AM #13
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
One of the reasons I have some doubts (now) about intelligent life existing elsewhere in the universe is that on Earth simple single-cell life started quite quickly, after conditions became right, but it took about 2 billion years for eukaryotic cells to come about which led to complex living organisms, and scientists think that this only happened because of a single chance encounter.

There's this Brian Cox video where he explains it - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p029n23h
Even then, though, it's when you take scale into account. Earth is a speck of dust even on the scale of our own galaxy. Our galaxy isn't even a particularly big one - and there are hundreds of billions of galaxies just in the theoretical observable universe. There may well be countless more. And then... There's a good chance that if you "zoom out further" it's the case that our universe is just one of an unknown number. The scale is mind-boggling, to the extent that I'd say if something is POSSIBLE then it's highly improbable that it has or will only happen once. It will have happened, out there, somewhere.

What I suppose it does mean though is potentially only a tiny number of "habitable zone" planets have more than single cell life, and intelligent (to the point of technology) species might be much rarer than is technically possible based on the number of planets that COULD support it. Maybe entire galaxies with only a couple or none at all.

Which would still probably explain "no contact". Even if travelling between stars becomes theoretically quick-ish, travelling between galaxies would be something far beyond that.
Old 24-11-2016, 12:53 PM #14

The only Galaxies and Milky Ways that we will be capable of reaching anytime soon are on the Confectionary Stands in shops, kiosks, and Supermarkets.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 03:10 PM #15
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
The only Galaxies and Milky Ways that we will be capable of reaching anytime soon are on the Confectionary Stands in shops, kiosks, and Supermarkets.
We live IN the Milky Way, Kirk. How can you captain a starship if you don't even know where you are .
Old 24-11-2016, 04:28 PM #16

Quote:
We live IN the Milky Way, Kirk. How can you captain a starship if you don't even know where you are .
Put it down to me being overcome with grief and not thinking straight T.S.

I witnessed a tragedy this morning - my best friend was killed, and I stood by helpless.

Poor Mr Spock - murdered by Klingons.

I know, I know...... I SHOULD HAVE GONE TO SPOCKSAVERS.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 24-11-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 24-11-2016, 04:31 PM #17

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
Put it down to me being overcome with grief and not thinking straight T.S.

I witnessed a tragedy this morning - my best friend was killed, and I stood by helpless.

Poor Mr Spock - murdered by Klingons.

I know, I know...... I SHOULD HAVE GONE TO SPOCKSAVERS.
You really shouldn't sink SULU with these jokes
Old 24-11-2016, 04:48 PM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
You really shouldn't sink SULU with these jokes
But Chekov my reasons for doing so.

Old 24-11-2016, 05:05 PM #19

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

It feels like a long way off but I'd love it to be in my lifetime.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 08:12 AM #20
You know my methods

You know my methods

It was only in 1926 that we realised that there were other galaxies. Thank you Mr Hubble.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 09:01 AM #21
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

We don't,we had one chance with the planet we have and we blew it.
Old 25-11-2016, 09:05 AM #22
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
We don't,we had one chance with the planet we have and we blew it.
Jesus wept Kizzy be a bit more positive
Old 25-11-2016, 09:12 AM #23
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Jesus wept Kizzy be a bit more positive
It's being squeezed out of me :/
Old 25-11-2016, 09:14 AM #24
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
It's being squeezed out of me :/
Well I think you are great so thats at least one (Kirk does too so that is 2)

Old 25-11-2016, 10:22 AM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Well I think you are great so thats at least one (Kirk does too so that is 2)

Am I truly GLAD you're back - I needed cheering up.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
galaxy, humans, long