Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 28-11-2016, 03:22 PM #1

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
Default Angela Merkel Freedom of Movement Carrot Potential

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7418981.html

Sounds like it isn't all set in stone after all.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 08:59 AM #2
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7418981.html

Sounds like it isn't all set in stone after all.
Personally I wouldn't trust a word she says.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 09:32 AM #3

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

I don't think staying in the single market is the best option tbh.Britain voted to 'Take back control'.Staying under EU regulations by staying in the single market is not taking back control.I think we should be out making our own bilateral agreements with all the growing economies around the world.The EU is not growing.Infact the only continent with worse growth is Antarctica.Not to mention the EU is crap at making trade deals.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:36 AM #4
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
I don't think staying in the single market is the best option tbh.Britain voted to 'Take back control'.Staying under EU regulations by staying in the single market is not taking back control.I think we should be out making our own bilateral agreements with all the growing economies around the world.The EU is not growing.Infact the only continent with worse growth is Antarctica.Not to mention the EU is crap at making trade deals.
Do you really think it's a brilliant idea to tie ourselves so closely to these growing economies, though? At what point does it stop just being about trade and get to the point where our way of life / way of work has to change to "fit" with those economies?

Do you REALLY want future generations of Brits to live like anonymous drones like 99.9% of people in China / India do? It seems like a very slippery slope. People who really believe in "Great Old Britain" would do (very) well to remember, very carefully, that we are culturally European and that is the life we live. Yes we have a lot in common with other places like the US, Canada, Australia also... but those places, too, are for the mostpart culturally European with their own quirks.

The EU is not growing like other continents because the EU is packed with developed economies as opposed to developing economies. You DON'T want to live in a developing economy, it's a ****ing crappy life .

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 30-11-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:01 AM #5
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Who elected Angela Merkel to speak for the EU?

No one.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:33 AM #6

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Do you really think it's a brilliant idea to tie ourselves so closely to these growing economies, though? At what point does it stop just being about trade and get to the point where our way of life / way of work has to change to "fit" with those economies?

Do you REALLY want future generations of Brits to live like anonymous drones like 99.9% of people in China / India do? It seems like a very slippery slope. People who really believe in "Great Old Britain" would do (very) well to remember, very carefully, that we are culturally European and that is the life we live. Yes we have a lot in common with other places like the US, Canada, Australia also... but those places, too, are for the mostpart culturally European with their own quirks.

The EU is not growing like other continents because the EU is packed with developed economies as opposed to developing economies. You DON'T want to live in a developing economy, it's a ****ing crappy life .
I'm only talking about trade deals not another dictatorship like the EU which ceased to become just a trading block and became a political 'union' and i say union loosely as it is more of a dictatorship now.
We are never going to go backwards to become China or India.If anything those countries are progressing.They aren't going to put restrictions on us like the EU does because they want to do well.Trump looks on the UK favourably unlike Obama who wanted to put us "To the back of the queue",Canada has waited 10 years or so to try and strike a deal with the ridiculous EU and i think would love to do a deal with Britain and much quicker.EU countries need to trade with us and I believe will push to get deals done no matter what pre-negotiation rhetoric the EU wants to spout.It is not in their interests to mess us about as it affects them negatively too.Who knows,Brexit may be the catalyst that gets them to pull their finger out and do something about their inward looking trading policies.Imo
Old 30-11-2016, 11:41 AM #7
-

-

I think if you forge trade deals like that it's only a matter of time before you get "culture bleeds", in order to keep up. George Osborne was already talking about "Tiger parenting" and essentially abusing kids into a life of anxiety via endless harsh schooling in order to "keep up with" (miserable, stressed) Chinese students if I remember correctly, long before Brexit.

I agree that free trade and open borders (for residence) shouldn't be so firmly linked but I think it's exceptionally naive to think that we can simply ignore our biggest, closest, most culturally relevant marketplace in favour of other foreign trade and expect it to even compare economically.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 02:22 PM #8

Quote:

Reading George Orwells 1984 made me think that the European Union could become that kind of world.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 02:28 PM #9

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post

No one.
That's exactly right but in reality she calls the shots. I just thought it was interesting that the EU keep saying no compromise and yet she seems to be offering some sort of compromise.

Personally the more the EU posture and threaten, the happier I am that we voted for Brexit.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
Old 30-11-2016, 02:31 PM #10
My keyboard is bullocks

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
CBBUSA: Mark McGrath

My keyboard is bullocks

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
CBBUSA: Mark McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post

No one.
That might be true but with Le Pen and others similar far right organizations growing in the west, who want to leave the EU as well, she basically is.
Nintendo ID (Wii U): BRLNerd
BBfanUSA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 02:32 PM #11

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:

Isn't this exactly what happened with the EU?

― Richard Dawkins
Old 30-11-2016, 03:16 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Personally I wouldn't trust a word she says.
Plus will she
Win her Election?
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 04:04 PM #13

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBfanUSA View Post
That might be true but with Le Pen and others similar far right organizations growing in the west, who want to leave the EU as well, she basically is.
And why do you think Le Pen and other far right organisations are growing?
I think it is because Merkel opened the floodgates to Europe and made the migration crisis a whole lot worse.Not to mention the EU's terrible handling of the situation.
Old 30-11-2016, 04:10 PM #14
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
And why do you think Le Pen and other far right organisations are growing?
I think it is because Merkel opened the floodgates to Europe and made the migration crisis a whole lot worse.Not to mention the EU's terrible handling of the situation.
Completely agree!
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:15 PM #15
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
That's exactly right but in reality she calls the shots. I just thought it was interesting that the EU keep saying no compromise and yet she seems to be offering some sort of compromise.

Personally the more the EU posture and threaten, the happier I am that we voted for Brexit.
Her own election is next Autumn. I can't wait to see how she does.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBfanUSA View Post
Like Monkey said, she's part of the reason for the rise of the Right. Europe has been flooded with people from all over the world and in an effort to prove to the world that her country has changed in the last 70 years, Merkel has set herself up as some kind of beacon for refugees. And now she and people with the same ideals will pay the price as they watch the Right take over. It's scary...
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
angela, carrot, freedom, merkel, movement, potential