Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 21-01-2017, 04:59 PM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Default Safe spaces,Trigger warnings and Microaggressions(USA:for arista)

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 24-01-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 09:50 AM #2
-

-

I thought this was a suggestion for renaming Serious Debates & News.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 10:01 AM #3
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

A guy making fun of "safe spaces" by telling a story about a time his space wasnt safe?

"People want a safe space, theyre so dumb"
"People were being mean to me I'm very sad"

Ok m8
Old 24-01-2017, 10:03 AM #4
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Gave up after 7 mins, his argument is completely incoherent.
Old 24-01-2017, 12:12 PM #5
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

'I've been extremely alarmed'

microaggression.

He was lecturing and he effectively states that he finds incestual sex comparable to that between two men.

Could that not be understood to be offensive if you happen to be gay, is not the underlying tone that it is wrong?

A young person voiced that they were uncomfortable with the personal views of the educator being voiced in this way, which they are perfectly within their rights to do.
And yet it is belittled as nothing but an example of what he considered as the nu teen angst...

But I have wrote papers on gay rights!....why? If your instinct is that it is disgusting then why bother... Leave it to people who truly believe in rights and in the fact that it is not disgusting!
What is disgusting is that when anyone has the conviction to take a matter to the public for scrutiny on any issue they are attacked and condemned for doing do.

The lesson to be learnt here is not that safe spaces do not exist, rather that they do, it's called your head... if you think that gay sex is disgusting, think it don't say it and risk your position as educator and influencer.
Old 24-01-2017, 01:23 PM #6

Yes Kizzy you bright Lady
if only clever NM
put at the start
"USA:"

It would speed things UP
As I love USA
when I was in a California Cafe
talking to another manager
telling him you are freaks over Pure Sugar
and the Black fella down the seating
Laughed
I assume they do not see many UK managers
getting angry about Pure Sugar option.

Next Time we will be too busy to even talk
on pure sugar...............

Sign of The Times

Last edited by arista; 24-01-2017 at 01:25 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 01:26 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
Gave up after 7 mins, his argument is completely incoherent.

No Joke
you should get award for suffering him that long
Old 24-01-2017, 01:29 PM #8

I tended to look beyond the talkers own grievance because only then could I relate to what he was trying to say... and I agree with him and can directly relate

I work in an enviroment where language is constantly over politicised.
If I were to suggest that the flu made me feel like death, I could be up in front of the AOM for using exaggeration in my language.

I once got wrapped on the knuckles for using the word 'they' when I was referring to the girls who work downstairs.

PC, which was invented by the right btw but it doesn’t actually matter because its used by both left and right equally, is the new populist authoritarian that is out to destroy freedom of speech.

Last edited by DemolitionRed; 24-01-2017 at 01:32 PM.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 01:34 PM #9

I've seen this guy before and I think what he's trying to say is that people should learn to toughen up and deal with the world instead of scuttling off to a 'safe space' so they don't have to handle anything that person doesn't agree with. I agree with him,.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 01:43 PM #10

"I work in an enviroment where language is constantly over politicised.
If I were to suggest that the flu made me feel like death, I could be up in front of the AOM for using exaggeration in my language."

Thats Fantastic DR.
Old 24-01-2017, 02:03 PM #11

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
'I've been extremely alarmed'

microaggression.

He was lecturing and he effectively states that he finds incestual sex comparable to that between two men.

Could that not be understood to be offensive if you happen to be gay, is not the underlying tone that it is wrong?

A young person voiced that they were uncomfortable with the personal views of the educator being voiced in this way, which they are perfectly within their rights to do.
And yet it is belittled as nothing but an example of what he considered as the nu teen angst...

But I have wrote papers on gay rights!....why? If your instinct is that it is disgusting then why bother... Leave it to people who truly believe in rights and in the fact that it is not disgusting!
What is disgusting is that when anyone has the conviction to take a matter to the public for scrutiny on any issue they are attacked and condemned for doing do.

The lesson to be learnt here is not that safe spaces do not exist, rather that they do, it's called your head... if you think that gay sex is disgusting, think it don't say it and risk your position as educator and influencer.
He wasn't saying that being gay is the same as incest.He was talking about the emotion or reaction that he and most straight males get if they see two men having sex or kissing or whatever.It envokes the same reaction in the mind as incest would.It is important to be able to discuss these things in a learning environment so people can....you know....learn.
The point is that people find all kinds of things offensive for different reasons and just because somebody may find something to be offensive that should'nt hamper their education.If you listened further you'd have heard that this is affecting education in other subjects too such as humanities and social sciences.For instance highlighting the differences between different races.Now just because some people might not want to admit that there are differences so might be offended doesn't mean that parts of science education should be scrapped because no tutor dares to teach it.That is a very slippery slope which will diminish the standards of education because people won't be getting the information they need to progress and master their chosen field.Anyone can say they're offended by anything but that shouldn't stop people being taught or able to freely debate and discuss in a university.

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 24-01-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 24-01-2017, 02:04 PM #12

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
I tended to look beyond the talkers own grievance because only then could I relate to what he was trying to say... and I agree with him and can directly relate

I work in an enviroment where language is constantly over politicised.
If I were to suggest that the flu made me feel like death, I could be up in front of the AOM for using exaggeration in my language.

I once got wrapped on the knuckles for using the word 'they' when I was referring to the girls who work downstairs.

PC, which was invented by the right btw but it doesn’t actually matter because its used by both left and right equally, is the new populist authoritarian that is out to destroy freedom of speech.
Yes!
Old 24-01-2017, 02:04 PM #13

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjuniper View Post
I've seen this guy before and I think what he's trying to say is that people should learn to toughen up and deal with the world instead of scuttling off to a 'safe space' so they don't have to handle anything that person doesn't agree with. I agree with him,.
And yes
Old 24-01-2017, 02:30 PM #14
Banned

Banned

It's always ironic how these words apply most to the people that tend to throw them out.

Liberals get described like this often but there is no one more sensitive and prone to upset than the Right Wing.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:25 PM #15

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB15: Katie Hopkins

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB15: Katie Hopkins

I get where he's coming from. I went to a very liberal college and I would consider myself a liberal. I was part of the LGBT society and it still pisses me off how social justice warrior-ish the whole thing is. I mean the college in general is like this - the students union constantly hold polls and elections and protests about every little thing they can think of. It's something new every week. I went to the LGBT society to feel more comfortable about myself but the topics started to become all about trans rights and non-binary and everything apart from the L in LGBT. These people think they're being 'political' and 'educational' by shoving their views down students throats because it makes them feel smart. When in fact it's all a matter of opinion. God forbid if you say anything bad about Clinton on a college campus. What's sad is the lecturers are actually the exact same as the students because they too were taught in a mostly liberal environment. There's no diversity and the teaching is skewed because of this.
These people have no idea what it's like to be repressed or to struggle in life. Mommy and Daddy are paying thousands for their tuition, they have no real worries so they just create some. I was lucky enough to have the government pay my fees and I lived at home during college. I struggled big time for money. These kids don't. And they have no idea what it's like to be disagreed with. That's why they love college life so much, because everybody is a liberal. Otherwise you're an outcast.
Sorry for the rant but these kind of college kids suck and have no idea of what the real world is like.
Deirdre is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
arista, microaggressions, microaggressionsusafor, safe, spaces, trigger, warnings