Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 09-02-2017, 05:42 PM #1
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter
I'm a Celeb 2012: David Haye
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):
Default A town in days gone by

I live near a town that used to be a bustling, busy, happy town where people would come by the coachload just to visit the towns market of which it was famous for. There were a large variety of shops, marks & spencer, woolworths, army and navy stores, freeman hardy willis shoe shop, music shop, pet shop, tea rooms, cinema, lots of different clothes shops, Caddys Ice Cream parlour, plenty of pubs, Jessops Tailors, John Collier, a theatre and much much more. The town was packed with people in days gone by but now sadly when I last visited the town all I saw were take aways, charity shops and pound shops. It is so sad to see how it has become so run down, litter strewn about, drug addicts hanging around on benches, almost a ghost town compared to its former self. The shops I mentioned above are all gone. The market is still there but it is full of cheap shoddy things, no one comes to visit on coaches anymore. It is so sad to see the decline of our once famous town of Dewsbury, West Yorkshire. I have so many happy memories from school days, teenage and young years working in the town. I can't imagine what memories the youth of today could muster from the now almost dead town. I realise of course that times change and the town has definately changed for the worst. I guess the introduction of the supermarket Asda was the beginning of the end of many shops, people preferring to shop all under one roof instead of supporting our local shopkeepers, it really is so sad. Where do you live and has the same thing happened or is your town thriving?

Me
Tozzie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:03 AM #2

It is sad to see a place you once loved go into decline. Unfortunately it's the shopping malls to blame. These are usually placed on the outskirts of town and the town centre becomes a ghost town. Locals should approach the council and ask for an incentive scheme to be put into place. This would mean that the council would encourage cheap rent on empty shops, especially on the high street for individuals to rent, such as craft shops, deli's and so on.
It's a hard job bringing a town centre back to life, but it can be done.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:17 PM #3

supply by demand - not to long ago there were 50 million phone shops - not now. just how it goes. and lots are doing what we are doing now - online shopping.
waterhog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:41 PM #4
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjuniper View Post
It is sad to see a place you once loved go into decline. Unfortunately it's the shopping malls to blame. These are usually placed on the outskirts of town and the town centre becomes a ghost town. Locals should approach the council and ask for an incentive scheme to be put into place. This would mean that the council would encourage cheap rent on empty shops, especially on the high street for individuals to rent, such as craft shops, deli's and so on.
It's a hard job bringing a town centre back to life, but it can be done.
Dewsbury has been forgotten by our local council as they prefer to spend their money on Huddersfield. You are right, it is sad to see a place go into decline

Me
Tozzie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:02 PM #5
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Its progress, pubs closing as its cheaper to drink at home and you don't have to put up with idiots, online dating online shopping, in the near future you wont have to leave your home for anything.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:20 PM #6
You know my methods

You know my methods

essentially I am just waiting for the first sub £100 sex robot
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
days, town