Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB18 Big Brother 18 UK was shown on Channel 5 in June and July 2017, and was won by Isabelle with Raph second. Discuss the series here.

Old 17-06-2017, 10:23 AM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Keith Chegwin
BB15: Mark

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Keith Chegwin
BB15: Mark
Default A plea to Endemol UK/Initial

I first watched Big Brother in General Studies in 2000 with two friends of mine in sixth form.

It was on during that Summer and whilst I watched a few shows and knew of the Nasty Nick affair it was not until I had watched some episodes in the lessons we had that I was admittedly intrigued and just hooked.

As the seasons followed, the series got better. For me, Big Brothers 3, 5, 7 and 9 were very good with a diverse range of housemates, many personality clashes and well executed twists and turns that made for thrilling television.

For every Big Brother 3 and 5, there was series 4 which was dull, uninteresting and underwhelming and series 8 which started with an all female launch which was an idea which was poorly executed by its producers.

It seemed inevitable that the axe would fall as Channel 4's interest in Big Brother seemed to diminish and they seemed to want to wash their hands of the show which was giving them audiences of 3-4 million a night even in 2007.

When the curtains came down in 2010, people still wanted Big Brother and many argued that it could be revived. Marcus Bentley said whilst presiding over the "funeral" for BB, that it would be revived in the house highlights "in a sure hope of a resurrection somewhere".

That somewhere was Channel 5 and hopes were high they would save Big Brother. They have done anything but that. They have turned something which was once a social experiment into a bastardised hideous caricature of what it once was.

We first have the hilarious over-exaggerated voice over from Marcus Bentley. His voice is unbearable now especially with the early series on Channel 5 where he would bellow: "yooooou arrrreee the winnnnnnnneerrrrrrrrr!" like some crazed lunatic.

From that we have highlights where we have to be constantly reminded who the housemates are and have music when housemates arrive at launch and when they leave. It is absolutely absurd.

It is like Big Brother has become a parody of itself. Is it what Endemol think we want.

We want Big Brother not a **** parody of Big Brother!

Last edited by thediaryroomchair; 17-06-2017 at 10:24 AM.
thediaryroomchair is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 10:35 AM #2

I have only been a viewer for the past five years so cannot comment on much of your above.But even during this shorter period i have witnessed the increase in HM who have agents and or have already participated in other TV shows.I do not get the need for this or like the outcomes.

If the next "Civilian" BB guaranteed none of the above we would still enjoy indeed i suspect even more so.A question to longer term fans have the producers ever been challenged over this and have they responded.?
Mick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 11:48 AM #3

Favourites (more):
BB18: Sukhvinder
BB14: Dexter

Favourites (more):
BB18: Sukhvinder
BB14: Dexter

I agree with everything you're saying... but at this stage I think it's too far gone for Channel 5 to fix it. At first I actually thought they were doing quite a good job after BB13 and 14, but since 2014 the show has been on a downward spiral and unsurprisingly people aren't sticking around. The best news for wanting Big Brother to return to its roots would be cancellation by Channel 5, that way theres a small chance another network could pick it up. If Channel 5 renew it itll be more of the same next year, despite being told there will be big changes, a survey to ask the audience what they want and civilian housemates that know each other from past tv experiences.
Old 17-06-2017, 11:59 AM #4

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
BB18: Ellie

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
BB18: Ellie

What the show needs is one final Back to Basics series to say thank you to the fans that have kept with it all these years, and then trundle off into the sunset.

The truth is that the producer on the show clearly don't even like the show. They certainly don't understand it.
vesavius is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
endemol, plea, uk or initial