Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB20 Celebrity Big Brother Summer 2017 [CBB 20] was was won by Sarah Harding. Discuss the series and housemates here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-08-2017, 01:45 PM #1

Default CBB20 Edgic Thread

If any of you remember, during BB18 there was a thread discussing the edgic of it which you can find here. So I decided to try my hand at CBB20 as it airs. If you don't know what an edgic is, check the quote listed below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macie Lightfoot View Post
History of Edgic: Edgic, a portmanteau of editing and logic, was a tool devised in the early-mid 2000s used to help predict winners of the US reality TV show Survivor. Each contestant was assigned a rating for each episode they appeared in, and their ratings and edits were analyzed in an effort to predict who the winner would be. If you've recently entered the Survivor subforum, you've probably encountered people arguing about whether or not edgic discussions constitutes spoiler tags, mainly stemming from the fact that Michele, the winner of the spring 2016 season of Survivor, was one of the more obvious winners by edgicians and one of the more surprising winners to non-edgicians.

In terms of edgicing BBUK..... it's pretty pointless alol. Maybe someone else has a different perspective but to me, there's something therapeutic about assigning colored cells to reality TV contestants and using the composite rating to organize my thoughts and feelings and visually represent the series.

How Edgic Works: Each cell has two components - rating and tone. Rating is breaking down what type of content you had in an episode, while tone is breaking down how the viewers are supposed to perceive the content. There are mainly four different ratings and four different tones, and they can be mixed and matched.

Edgic Ratings: UTR ~ you more or less weren't in the episode, and if you were your content was either unmemorable or you were deliberately edited to be under the radar. Think of Sam Evans, Hira, most recently Charlotte, etc.
MOR ~ you're present, but not particularly dynamic. The content and airtime is there, but there is a lacking of personal insight or character development. You're middle of the road. Think of someone like Kieran.
CP ~ you are a complex personality. You're one of the main forces driving the narrative and we are learning and who you are as a person as you are providing your personal insight. Deana Uppal, Aisleyne, Aaron, etc. You can also throw in your obnoxious GAMEPLAYERS in here like Victor and nasty Nick.
OTT ~ over the top. I don't think this needs much explaining, BBUK pretty much rewrote the definition for over the top when it introduced people like Nikki and Charley and Kinga.

Edgic Tone: Neutral ~ we're not supposed to feel a particular way about you. Think like.... Liam or Karly or Laura McAdam.
Positive (P) ~ you're a protagonist and someone who the editors are explicitly telling us to root for. This is actually surprisingly rare due to the format of BBUK. Think of people like Brian Belo, Nadia, Luke A, Brian Dowling (hey they all won). If you're looking for someone who didn't win..... Samanda also work.
Negative (N) ~ we're either supposed to dislike you or love to hate you. Charley, Victor, Bea, Helen ****ing Wood, etc.
Mixed (M) ~ there are both positives and negatives to how you're presented. Due to the nature of BBUK, like 80% of the people end up with mixed tone. Nikki, Aaron, Aisleyne, Freddie, etc.
When doing civilian BB, it's a little easier to do it by weeks since they usually follow a typical 7-day format (possible exceptions being the first and last). I think this may be the first time a CBB one is being done though. The way I will structure these isn't by actual whole weeks, and more rather measured of the time between each eviction that airs on HL's, usually Wednesday shows or Saturday shows that include the eviction. In this case, CBB has ranged from 4-8 weeks, with the 30+ day series usually being in the 7-8 week bracket. Sometimes there may be possible exceptions where a live show is all it takes. Examples would include in CBB15 where there was supposed to be an Alexander/Chloe head-to-head but Jeremy/Ken's removals cancelled this so that first week would technically end at the beginning of Cami Li's queen task. Or in CBB3 or CBB16 there could be a whole live show dedicated to someone just being in there for a few days, thus the week ending at their debut e.g. Jackie Stallone and Paul Burrill respectively.

As this series is only 25 days, I've roughly estimated 6 weeks, by CBB time anyway. Here is what I've gathered so far.

Past series examples:

CBB18
Spoiler:

CBB16
Spoiler:

CBB15
Spoiler:

CBB11
Spoiler:

lol.

So any questions??

Last edited by Epic.; 28-12-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Epic. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
cbb20, edgic, thread