Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
Northern Monkey
Northern Monkey
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 12,937

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom
BB17: Jason
CBB16: Tila Tequila


Default Interesting Debate:Have we lost our freedom of speech regarding Islam?

Youtube video
Click to view this video on Youtube
__________________
Quote:
"And remember: they canít undo the decision we take.

"If we vote out, thatís it.

"It is irreversible.

"We will leave Europe Ė for good.
David Cameron 2016
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
Dominic
hot tamale
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8,046

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Survivor 40: Michele
BBUSA21: Kathryn
Love Island 5: Maura
Default

Anyone who says anything against islam is accused of being islamophobic, but that's kinda reasonable considering islam preaches about violence and stoning gays and etc etc?
__________________

Spoiler:


Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
Northern Monkey
Northern Monkey
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 12,937

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom
BB17: Jason
CBB16: Tila Tequila


Default

The part in the vid about Charlie Hebdo and Southpark points to a yes to the question posed in the title.
Some people after Charlie Hebdo actually trying to justify or rationalise killing a bunch of cartoonists and Southpark having to pull an episode off air which had Mohammed in a bear suit because of credible threats they received.This is bullying us into silence regarding a religion.
__________________
Quote:
"And remember: they canít undo the decision we take.

"If we vote out, thatís it.

"It is irreversible.

"We will leave Europe Ė for good.
David Cameron 2016
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Oliver_W
#BatmanLovesMilk
 
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 11,473

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley


Default

I can't be bothered to watch the vid, but between muslims getting violent when their paedo prophet or religion in general is criticised, and people getting accused of "Islamophobia", free speech regarding islam is "de facto" limited, if not technically.
__________________

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
Scarlett.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40,445


Default

You can say whatever you want, don't expect everyone to agree with you. Freedom of speech isn't about being able to say what you want without consequences, its about being able to say what you want without being arrested (within limits, obviously, no hate speech ect.)
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
Northern Monkey
Northern Monkey
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 12,937

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom
BB17: Jason
CBB16: Tila Tequila


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
You can say whatever you want, don't expect everyone to agree with you. Freedom of speech isn't about being able to say what you want without consequences, its about being able to say what you want without being arrested (within limits, obviously, no hate speech ect.)
I'd add to that.Without being assaulted or murdered.In Britain and i would think America it is legal to criticise or mock religion as we've seen in many TV shows,stand up comedians or films(eg Life of Brian).It is not legal to cause somebody harm for mocking a religion.
I don't condone hate speach from extremists of the far right,left or a religion.I do think the way to tackle extreme views is to challenge them and prove them wrong or show them up for how ridiculous and outdated they are.
__________________
Quote:
"And remember: they canít undo the decision we take.

"If we vote out, thatís it.

"It is irreversible.

"We will leave Europe Ė for good.
David Cameron 2016
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 10:07 PM   #7
DemolitionRed
Senior Member
 
DemolitionRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,073
Blog Entries: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
I'd add to that.Without being assaulted or murdered.In Britain and i would think America it is legal to criticise or mock religion as we've seen in many TV shows,stand up comedians or films(eg Life of Brian).It is not legal to cause somebody harm for mocking a religion.
I don't condone hate speach from extremists of the far right,left or a religion.I do think the way to tackle extreme views is to challenge them and prove them wrong or show them up for how ridiculous and outdated they are.
__________________
No longer on this site.

Last edited by DemolitionRed; 19-08-2017 at 10:08 PM.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 12:07 AM   #8
jaxie
Senior Member
 
jaxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 7,038

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke
Default

Yes we have, on this forum as well. There is a lot of derision if you criticise this religion and no one seems to give a flying over the oppression of women. The attitude is it's a-ok it's religion the women must like it. Not conditioning but choice.

Yet if Trump decided only a covered woman was modest and was property of her family, for instance, there would be all sorts of frothing outrage.
__________________
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
Terry Pratchett

ďI am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.Ē
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 20-08-2017 at 12:19 AM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #9
Brillopad
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6,121
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
Yes we have, on this forum as well. There is a lot of derision if you criticise this religion and no one seems to give a flying over the oppression of women. The attitude is it's a-ok it's religion the women must like it. Not conditioning but choice.
The rights of women clearly come a poor second next to this backward religion with some. It makes no sense and smacks of an undercurrent of misogyny to me. People pay lip service to female equality but actions most definitely speak louder than words.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 02:02 AM   #10
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 126,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
I'd add to that.Without being assaulted or murdered.In Britain and i would think America it is legal to criticise or mock religion as we've seen in many TV shows,stand up comedians or films(eg Life of Brian).It is not legal to cause somebody harm for mocking a religion.
I don't condone hate speach from extremists of the far right,left or a religion.I do think the way to tackle extreme views is to challenge them and prove them wrong or show them up for how ridiculous and outdated they are.

Life Of Brain on BluRay 1080P
with upgraded sound DTSHD.

That Film is so Clever
its not Mocking the Church
it just happens to be a fella called Brian

IN USA they could not to our Higher way of Thinking
UTTER FACTS

Last edited by arista; 20-08-2017 at 02:08 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 02:28 AM   #11
Scarlett.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40,445


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
Yes we have, on this forum as well. There is a lot of derision if you criticise this religion and no one seems to give a flying over the oppression of women. The attitude is it's a-ok it's religion the women must like it. Not conditioning but choice.
Where the hell are you getting this?
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 05:14 AM   #12
jennyjuniper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4,050
Default

If muslims believe that islam is perfect, then why go to such lengths to prevent criticism? I think it's because they themselves are aware that their 'religion' is full of inconsistencies, is anti democratic and resembles a cult more than a religion.'Cults too do not take kindly to criticism. They too threaten death to those who wish to leave the cult.
The blasphemy law is a ridiculous notion. Not only does it stop debate and the exchamge of ideas, but effectively works as smoothing the way for the next step in the process, which is sharia law,.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 08:20 AM   #13
Brillopad
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6,121
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjuniper View Post
If muslims believe that islam is perfect, then why go to such lengths to prevent criticism? I think it's because they themselves are aware that their 'religion' is full of inconsistencies, is anti democratic and resembles a cult more than a religion.'Cults too do not take kindly to criticism. They too threaten death to those who wish to leave the cult.
The blasphemy law is a ridiculous notion. Not only does it stop debate and the exchamge of ideas, but effectively works as smoothing the way for the next step in the process, which is sharia law,.
And being a non-believer is blasphemy in their eyes giving them the idea they have the right to murder. We have opened our doors to madness, a madness that is now killing us. Our lives and sense of security have changed forever so some can feel 'progressive'. People are being murdered and sacrificed for the 'ideals' of others. Makes me sick to my stomach tbh.

Last edited by Brillopad; 20-08-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
the truth
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,477
Default

The left hate their own country, they tear down our own rights , culture and beliefs yet fight tooth and nail for the rights and beliefs of radical islam
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #15
Kizzy
Likes cars that go boom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,221


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
The left hate their own country, they tear down our own rights , culture and beliefs yet fight tooth and nail for the rights and beliefs of radical islam
What rights have been torn down?
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #16
Cherie
Cherie Bomb 2020
 
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 52,444
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites:
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Where the hell are you getting this?
Some people on this forum can't mention Muslims without being called racist, it took a while for it to happen on the aldi thread but we got there in the end, it's almost a parody on here now it's so predictable
__________________
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
debatehave, freedom, interesting, islam, lost, speech

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:58 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts