Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Strictly Come Dancing Discuss the BBC's dancing show here.

Old 16-12-2017, 09:06 PM #1
Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Default Interesting article on the disadvantage black women suffer in Reality TV

It mentions Melanie and Makosi from BB, Joanna from The Apprentice and Alexandra from Strictly.

Quote:
Alexandra Burke and the trouble with reality TV and race
As a brilliant dancer fails to win votes on Strictly week after week, an unsettling interpretation emerges: that racial anxieties are the problem

Few contestants have dominated the Strictly Come Dancing dancefloor like Alexandra Burke has this year. She received the first 10 of the season for her jive to Tina Turner’s Proud Mary, performed a flawless, Mary Poppins-themed charleston and impressed the judges with her salsa and her Viennese waltz.

Despite her technical brilliance, Burke has found herself repeatedly in the bottom two – as voted for by the British public. And some observers have perceived a contempt for her, from both the media and the public, that is unlike anything directed towards her fellow contestants.

This week Burke received an apology from the BBC Radio 2 presenter Chris Evans over the fact that she had been in the bottom two the week before. “I would like to apologise on behalf of Great Britain because we forgot to vote for you,” said Evans to Burke, who revealed that Strictly had told her people didn’t vote for her because they presumed she was safe.

But alongside that benign explanation for her underperformance is another more troubling interpretation – and one that has nagged televised popularity contests ever since the early days of Big Brother. By this argument, Burke’s surprising difficulties are linked to deeply rooted racial anxieties that will not go away.

Despite Ore Oduba taking the Strictly crown last year, accusations of unconscious voter racism have long plagued the show, particularly after the row caused by the successive departures of black contestants Tameka Empson and Melvin Odoom. Subsequent analysis by the Guardian demonstrated that being black or minority ethnic increased a contestant’s chances of being in the bottom two by 71%, and being both black and female increased those odds by 83%.

Kehinde Andrews, a sociology professor at Birmingham City University and the co-editor of Blackness in Britain, said it was unsurprising that the British public were uncomfortable voting for Burke to win Strictly, a show beloved for promoting family values and a sense of British national identity, which many still see as being at odds with multiculturalism and diversity.

“Every time you see one of these reality shows, you see they get ethnically cleansed very quickly,” said Andrews. “These shows speak to how black and ethnic minority people are viewed with suspicion across Britain.”

Burke may have been the highest scoring contestant of the competition but across the media she has repeatedly been branded a “diva” and a “difficult” contestant, who “can’t stop bickering” and “screaming” at her dance partner, Gorka Marquez. It was then alleged that she went into “meltdown” after finding herself in the bottom two once again last Sunday, forcing Burke to issue a denial of the “fake” report.

Some observers said Joanna Jarjue, a contestant on The Apprentice, had received similar treatment before she was fired this week, having been persistently presented as unusually argumentative and aggressive. Lucy Mckeown, a makeup artist, tweeted:

Lucyferrr
@Lucyferrr
Have to say the thinly veiled racism directed at @joannajarjue on this seasons Apprentice was hard to watch. She was no more “confrontational” than anyone else.

When Jarjue left the show she said she was grateful to everyone “who has supported me, been rooting for me and seen beyond a narrative”.

Andrews said Burke’s characterisation in some parts of the media was typical. “We shouldn’t be surprised that this is what’s happened on Strictly,” he said. “The diva script is one of the only scripts that is put across on TV for reading black women.”

Melanie Hill, a mixed-race female contestant on the first series of Big Brother, said that she had experienced similar prejudice when she was on the show and added that misogyny often went together with racial stereotypes.

“It was all interwoven with sexuality from the beginning,’ said Hill. “The video clip of the show that I couldn’t escape was of me getting unchanged in the bedroom. It was the same behaviour as everyone else, it’s not like I was doing striptease, but it was my bum that got singled out.

“It felt like they wanted to reduce me to this stereotype of a overly sexual, aggressive mixed-race woman. And the press had a complete field day with me being this despised ‘black widow’. I was called a preying mantis. It was all so sexually loaded which couldn’t be further my own view of my own identity.”

It was a similar experience for Makosi Musambasi, a contestant on Big Brother 6, who described how she had entered the show believing people would see her for who she was, an articulate, well-educated nurse, and had been shocked to find on leaving the show that the focus was entirely on her as a “sexy black woman with big boobs”.

“When I did it, it was awful. I just wanted to hide away after,” said Musambasi. “I realised people really can’t accredit anything else to black women but her body and in the Big Brother house there was no place for me as a smart black woman. They brought me into the house for my boobs and the script they had always intended for me was as a sexy black woman. The editing made that obvious – they showed me in the shower more than any other contestant, male or female.”

In a damning piece for Black Ballad, its editor, Tobi Oredein, described how this series of Strictly had once again seen flawed and damaging stereotypes foisted on a black reality TV contestant. “The ‘problem’ the public has with Alexandra Burke exposes the hypocrisy and racism that still has tight grip around the neck of the British nation,” she said.

Oredein said the treatment of Burke was indicative of how some members of the British public remained uncomfortable with a black woman outperforming the white contestants. “Alexandra is a self-assured black woman who is infiltrating a world of entertainment that is seen as an extremely white space,” she added.

“To the British public, how can this black woman be better than her white counterparts, show emotion and be beautiful?”

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...P=share_btn_tw
Old 16-12-2017, 09:08 PM #2
it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Tera
BBUSA22: Janelle

it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Tera
BBUSA22: Janelle

Interesting one that I saw earlier as Joanna retweeted it
Matthew. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 09:10 PM #3
haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

true true true

Spoiler:

montblanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 09:32 PM #4

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Ohh the negativity but very interesting article but I'm not surprised . But I knew Alexandra wouldn't win but I'm so happy both her & Debbie made the final .

It was obvious Joe was going to win , yes it was wrong that Alexandra was in the B2 twice . But the hate campaign against her didn't help . But I'm glad her fans and new fans supported her even more.

We all know the wrong people get kicked out of strictly early on because it's a popularity show and it's all about who you fancy or who you're a fan of . That's just how it goes , it's supposed to be a dancing competition but more often than not the bad dancers get kept in until much later on . There is injustice and it isn't always fair but it's been happening for a long time .

The reality stars mentioned in this are all different , Makosi didn't help herself on BB , she started off cool & entertaining but then the crap with Anthony in the pool and him denying it just made her look bad , and she generally acted like she was full of herself . It's ashame really but I think the secret missions she got in the BB house made her act weird .

I agree Joanna has been wrongfully treated on the apprentice , she expressed her opinion and was called argumentative for it when the other women on the show were just as confrontational if not MORE ! .

Melanie got terrible backlash on BB for literally just kissing 2 guys I think ? , Again totally unfair . Especially considering since BB 1 people have had sex in that house, cheating on their partners and all sorts .

There's alot of fickle attitude with reality shows and hypocrisy unfortunately . It was insane the hate Alexandra got though. Anyway It's nearly Christmas .

Last edited by GoldHeart; 16-12-2017 at 09:38 PM.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 10:06 PM #5

Load of crap...it's nothing to do with the skin colour...its just a convenient arguement.
You have to have the 'likeability' factor...and although there is nothing nasty about Alexandra she simply came across as over dramatic and the public saw it as 'fake' and OTT. All the 'WOW' and 'omg' as though she was shocked about being admired by the judges...she knows she's good but I like many found it stomach churning.
Debbie was as good...she deserved it as much as Alexandra...people have their reasons for voting or not voting for someone. Why didn't they vote for Debbie?...it certainly wasn't anything to do with the colour of her skin..
The GBP like to see the underdog win...someone who has come from nowhere where their improvement has grown week in and week out..Debbie and Alexandra have been of a high standard from week 1 based on previous dancing experience...boring. I think Gemma should have won based on tonight's show.
That's reality TV for you...nothing to do with colour.
rusticgal is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 10:06 PM #6
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):

The hate for Alexandra was very OTT.

However I did find her too princessy for my personal tastes, I find that kind of woman very annoying to listen to as I had the same issues with Debbie on that front to.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 08:43 AM #7
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

User banned

Favourites (more):

I dont watch the Apprentice so cannot comment, but the other 2 you mention were self serving,arrogant bitches regardless of their colour ,and with such a bad attitude they will and should never win
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 08:45 AM #8
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

She made the final on the two shows she entered, beating a boyband ( when apparently only thirsty women vote), and she was beaten on Strictly by someone from a very popular drama show, add to that that she wasn't particularly likeable on Strictly, and neither was Debbie, Gemma should have won as she had the likability factor and made the most progression
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 10:26 AM #9
User banned

Favourites (more):

User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Cane View Post
She made the final on the two shows she entered, beating a boyband ( when apparently only thirsty women vote), and she was beaten on Strictly by someone from a very popular drama show, add to that that she wasn't particularly likeable on Strictly, and neither was Debbie, Gemma should have won as she had the likability factor and made the most progression
Joe or Gemma for me too
Old 17-12-2017, 10:28 AM #10
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

She won X Factor and came what 2nd or 3rd on this? So I don't get this article

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 10:29 AM #11

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

I could agree with the 'angry black woman' stereotype but I don't think there's a 'sexy black woman' stereotype fitting with the boobs etc in RTV. That's more reserved for blonde females.
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 10:30 AM #12
El Cockroach

Favourites (more):
BBUSA25: Cory

El Cockroach

Favourites (more):
BBUSA25: Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy View Post
I dont watch the Apprentice so cannot comment, but the other 2 you mention were self serving,arrogant bitches regardless of their colour ,and with such a bad attitude they will and should never win
Joanne was edited to be cry baby, but she is only 23, she might be better off tv but the way she was shown to be argumentative cry baby, she needs to grow up.

DrunkerThanMoses is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 10:34 AM #13
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Nicola View Post
I could agree with the 'angry black woman' stereotype but I don't think there's a 'sexy black woman' stereotype fitting with the boobs etc in RTV. That's more reserved for blonde females.
Yeah I definitely get that one

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 10:43 AM #14
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

I don't always agree with this theory but I did think they made far too big a deal of Joanna being 'confrontational' on TA, there was one task at the start where she was that way but other than that she wasn't that bad but Lord Sugar returned to it every week.

I think Makosi is being a bit obtuse to say she was shocked at her portrayal though given the way she acted in the house though
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 10:50 AM #15
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

i see no problem

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 10:58 AM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Cane View Post

I would have loved Gemma to win..
rusticgal is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 11:06 AM #17
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

If the leaked percentages are anything to go by she only lost by 5 per cent and LT could only get Debbie to 4th

Last edited by Cherie; 17-12-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 11:38 AM #18

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Nothing to do with colour imo,some people just use that as an excuse for someone who is usually obnoxious,unlikable off their rockers or gobby,it's the same for white people some are likable others are not,usually in the case of BB the women of colour are usually all of the above,which is a shame as I am sure there are plenty of lovely ones Alison Hammond comes to mind she seems a lovely person and has done really well for herself.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 11:55 AM #19
User banned

Favourites (more):

User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker Sweet View Post
Nothing to do with colour imo,some people just use that as an excuse for someone who is usually obnoxious,unlikable off their rockers or gobby,it's the same for white people some are likable others are not,usually in the case of BB the women of colour are usually all of the above,which is a shame as I am sure there are plenty of lovely ones Alison Hammond comes to mind she seems a lovely person and has done really well for herself.
Spot on ! As far as I can recall Alison is the only non white woman without a vile attitude in BB, this is why she's done os well for herself
Old 17-12-2017, 11:58 AM #20
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Quote:
Spot on ! As far as I can recall Alison is the only non white woman without a vile attitude in BB, this is why she's done os well for herself
Deborah from BB18
Adjoa BB16
Heaven BB12
Rachel BB11
Dawn BB7

Didn’t have a vile attitude

Spoiler:

LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 12:03 PM #21
User banned

Favourites (more):

User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallelujah View Post
Deborah from BB18
Adjoa BB16
Heaven BB12
Rachel BB11
Dawn BB7

Didn’t have a vile attitude
You are joking ? please tell me you are
Old 17-12-2017, 12:37 PM #22
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 02:28 PM #23

Favourites:
Strictly 2017: Gemma Atkinson

Favourites:
Strictly 2017: Gemma Atkinson

u9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
Load of crap...it's nothing to do with the skin colour...its just a convenient arguement.
You have to have the 'likeability' factor...and although there is nothing nasty about Alexandra she simply came across as over dramatic and the public saw it as 'fake' and OTT. All the 'WOW' and 'omg' as though she was shocked about being admired by the judges...she knows she's good but I like many found it stomach churning.
Debbie was as good...she deserved it as much as Alexandra...people have their reasons for voting or not voting for someone. Why didn't they vote for Debbie?...it certainly wasn't anything to do with the colour of her skin..
The GBP like to see the underdog win...someone who has come from nowhere where their improvement has grown week in and week out..Debbie and Alexandra have been of a high standard from week 1 based on previous dancing experience...boring. I think Gemma should have won based on tonight's show.
That's reality TV for you...nothing to do with colour.
I think Debbie played the faux surprise game too at her scores ..also an accomplished dancer so a really annoying game when after years of dance they knew they were in for nines and tens. Thought Gem's reactions were very mature and normal by comparison. Ironically the actress, but not playing the stupid drama queen.

Last edited by stewartf; 17-12-2017 at 02:35 PM.
stewartf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 02:45 PM #24
You know my methods

You know my methods

oh its from the Guardian

is that the "paper" that begs you for money after every article because noone reads it anymore?

thought so
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 03:00 PM #25

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB15: Katie Price

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB15: Katie Price

All the comments were calling it rubbish etc

I definitely see it as a problem. Black women do tend to get a really rough ride in public-voted reality shows. There are some actual stats in the article aren't there? I cba to re-read it, I already saw it a few days ago
TomC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
article, black, disadvantage, interesting, reality, suffer, tv, women