Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB21 Celebrity Big Brother January 2018 [CBB 21] (dubbed Year of the Women). Discuss the housemates and series - which was won by Courtney Act - here.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:32 PM #26

Favourites:
CBB21: Rachel Johnson

Favourites:
CBB21: Rachel Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I don't see why India has to be representative for trans people. India is just themselves. It annoys me a bit actually when people say 'oh X is in there representing gay people' or whatever, as they really aren't they are themselves and happen to be gay Its not like any group has one hive mind or something.
Nobody is saying she has to represent all trans or LGBT people. We actually want to distance ourselves from her right now to be honest.

But what she most certainly should be doing is respecting what has come before her and acknowledging that it was the LGBT community who fought for (and continue to fight for) her right to live her life the way she is now.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:37 PM #27
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjustin View Post
Nobody is saying she has to represent all trans or LGBT people. We actually want to distance ourselves from her right now to be honest.

But what she most certainly should be doing is respecting what has come before her and acknowledging that it was the LGBT community who fought for (and continue to fight for) her right to live her life the way she is now.
Oh yeah that I definitely agree with. India seemed extremely dismissive of the sense Courtney was talking.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:43 PM #28

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Tia Kofi
Strictly 2020: Ranvir Singh

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Tia Kofi
Strictly 2020: Ranvir Singh

Quote:
I don't see why India has to be representative for trans people. India is just themselves. It annoys me a bit actually when people say 'oh X is in there representing gay people' or whatever, as they really aren't they are themselves and happen to be gay Its not like any group has one hive mind or something.
I just meant that this show gets watched by over a million people (for now) and her entire time in the house so far has been about being trans, so people might get a negative representation for trans people because of the way she's dealing with the issue and showing trans people to be - and not everyone will know a trans person so this might be all they see of them

Like how a lot of people hate vegans because there's some pushy OTT vegans on social media, even if they don't represent every vegan there is
Old 07-01-2018, 02:45 PM #29
Banned

Banned

The march towards progress for both the trans and the gays have always been linked, both demographics have fought for each other so it is quite disgraceful for India to downplay that.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:51 PM #30
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

My opinion is that India is just a disrespectful, self obsessed person full stop. She seems to be disrespectful of nearly everything and everyone she sets her focus on. What i mean to say is its not one thing specifically that marks her down in my eyes and she is not representative of anything but herself. Her statements could do her cause a disservice because she doesn't appear to be a balanced individual having gone through all that she has, and to me that would have been the whole purpose of doing it. For her to be happy and contented with herself
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:09 PM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Her statements could do her cause a disservice because she doesn't appear to be a balanced individual having gone through all that she has, and to me that would have been the whole purpose of doing it. For her to be happy and contented with herself
That's what I don't get...she obviously has what she wanted...I thought she looked and acted quite demure in her interview with Emma before entering the house.. Why can't she just settle into her own skin now and enjoy being a woman...
rusticgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:54 PM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
My opinion is that India is just a disrespectful, self obsessed person full stop. She seems to be disrespectful of nearly everything and everyone she sets her focus on. What i mean to say is its not one thing specifically that marks her down in my eyes and she is not representative of anything but herself. Her statements could do her cause a disservice because she doesn't appear to be a balanced individual having gone through all that she has, and to me that would have been the whole purpose of doing it. For her to be happy and contented with herself
Pretty much this for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
For argument sake, how is her being unaware of past LGBTQWERTY struggles any different to the female housemates not knowing when they were given the vote or not knowing who the rooms in the House were named after?
Good point actually. Of course India should be aware and respectful of those things, but I wouldn't say it's any worse than somebody else in that example ^ Ann for example is very critical and dismissive of feminism, I'd say that's a very similar thing to what India is being criticised for here.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:27 PM #33

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Amanda Barrie
BB18: Chanelle

Favourites (more):

Quote:
For argument sake, how is her being unaware of past LGBTQWERTY struggles any different to the female housemates not knowing when they were given the vote or not knowing who the rooms in the House were named after?
Let's be real here all your posts are for "arguments sake" Shane seemed to turn her opinion around tonight on this topic impaticular which the thread is about and In response to your reply not everyone knows the names of the actual people involved in the women's rights movement seeing it was a century ago and not one of the housemates was alive then but do now and respect it.

India being born in the time where she was a young adult and fighting to be who she was inside would have seen the stonewall protests and what the community went through to gain her rights to then come back and say she doesn't care or doesn't feel the need to acknowledge them basically is disrespectful and selfish.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:30 PM #34

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
That's cool but I do think they deserve respect for the rights they gave her back in the day by putting themselves in danger of a very enraged world towards anything different.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:33 PM #35
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontyboi View Post
India being born in the time where she was a young adult and fighting to be who she was inside would have seen the stonewall protests and what the community went through to gain her rights to then come back and say she doesn't care or doesn't feel the need to acknowledge them basically is disrespectful and selfish.
Who knows what she was doing during all that stuff, it might have passed her by. She might not even have admitted that she was trans to herself yet, so to her it would just be something that's happening to other people. Plus, she's just so self-absorbed she'd probably be happy to reap the benefits without caring why they're there.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:39 PM #36

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Who knows what she was doing during all that stuff, it might have passed her by. She might not even have admitted that she was trans to herself yet, so to her it would just be something that's happening to other people. Plus, she's just so self-absorbed she'd probably be happy to reap the benefits without caring why they're there.
She openly said she's allways known she was a woman and your last comment "she's self absorbed...happy to reap the benefits" hits the nail on the head.

There's no way she had no idea what was going on I was like 4 and I knew about it and I come from a tiny sheep shagging, coal mining town in South wales.

She's trying to do a Perez Hilton on us all I think just to get the viewers talking but it's not a good look and especially with the accusations and complete lack of respect for the people who gave her rights.

Last edited by pontyboi; 07-01-2018 at 09:41 PM.
pontyboi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:40 PM #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontyboi View Post
Let's be real here all your posts are for "arguments sake" Shane seemed to turn her opinion around tonight on this topic impaticular which the thread is about and In response to your reply not everyone knows the names of the actual people involved in the women's rights movement seeing it was a century ago and not one of the housemates was alive then but do now and respect it.

It is true what you have written but in this day and age it is easy to Google everything India needs to know.

If she is that into her rights, surely it would be interesting to understand how those rights became about.

You don't have to live where they are happening or when they are happening and as India is a newsreader, she has been in a position to find out.

I don't think India is interested enough in the past, only where it affects her and her future.
poppsywoppsy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:42 PM #38

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppsywoppsy View Post
It is true what you have written but in this day and age it is easy to Google everything India needs to know.

If she is that into her rights, surely it would be interesting to understand how those rights became about.

You don't have to live where they are happening or when they are happening and as India is a newsreader, she has been in a position to find out.

I don't think India is interested enough in the past, only where it affects her and her future.
That's really depressing.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:43 PM #39
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

To be fair I take no interest in LGBT campaigners of the past,but I'm grateful I can live the way I want, and I don't see it as disrespectful to not really look back on that stuff.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:54 PM #40

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
To be fair I take no interest in LGBT campaigners of the past,but I'm grateful I can live the way I want, and I don't see it as disrespectful to not really look back on that stuff.
The difference is you say you're grateful and India said she wasn't....I can't keep preaching anymore im giving myself a headache.

...Wheres my codeine?

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
community, disrespect, india, marched, rights