Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 28-01-2018, 11:00 AM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
John Humphreys is 74 years old
been there for a long time. Same Job.
Sadly although older women want to carry on working
The UK BBC never permits it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Humphrys
Good and valid point. I was only discussing this with my mum the other day. Not about the BBC but in general. There is a reduced tolerance for older women within certain jobs roles, particularly front line. Men are seen as distinguished with a wealth of experience as they grey, women are often looked on as 'past it'.
Old 28-01-2018, 11:15 AM #27
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Good and valid point. I was only discussing this with my mum the other day. Not about the BBC but in general. There is a reduced tolerance for older women within certain jobs roles, particularly front line. Men are seen as distinguished with a wealth of experience as they grey, women are often looked on as 'past it'.
...to be fair though, expanding it out to a general thing as you say..I don’t think so far as age/work experience goes, men are generally seen as distinguished with a wealth of experience because it can often be thought someone older may be stuck in a specific mindset of what their experience is and not be as open to progress and learning as someone much younger whose experiences are more with the ‘current trend’...those have often been my experiences anyway of older guys who have found themselves actively seeking employment and an older age actually feeling a disadvantage...

...and then just thinking about it, I guess some employers might think an older lady might make for a more suitable employee as opposed to a younger lady who might just run off to have children with maternity leave.....or possibly require short notice time off for child care on occasions..hmmm, I’m going to have to think about that one as well....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
agree, amid, bbc, cut, gender, male, pay, presenters, row, salary