Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 13-03-2018, 06:19 PM #1
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Default A new generation of anti-gentrification radicals are on the march in Los Angeles

Aww ****, I live in a big area where gentrification is just starting... I'm actually in the process of doing home improvement projects and sometimes paint in my garage. (Am I the next target? )

It would really be sad if this spread and came to here. Most areas here undergoing gentrification have a sizeable minority population. If anything, Houston is being rebuilt primarily for them?.. but still could see it eventually coming here as it's not like radicals use common sense. I wonder if these radical movements are replacing actual gangs?

The article will be mangled if I try to include it here, so will just include a few snippets:

A new generation of anti-gentrification radicals are on the march in Los Angeles – and around the country
https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-gener...100000522.html

Quote:
That’s because it was organized by Defend Boyle Heights, a coalition of scorched-earth young activists from the surrounding neighborhood — the heart of Mexican-American L.A. — who have rejected the old, peaceful forms of resistance (discussion, dialogue, policy proposals) and decided that the only sensible response is to attack and hopefully frighten off the sorts of art galleries, craft breweries and single-origin coffee shops that tend to pave the way for more powerful invaders: the real estate agents, developers and bankers whose arrival typically mark a neighborhood’s point of no return.

“Gentrification is not a trend for the ‘woke wide web’ or for the detached subculture of the left to consume,” they continued. “It is a vicious, protracted attack on poor and working-class people. And we are engaging in class warfare that leaves our friends, families, and neighbors, homeless, devastated, deported or dead. So get with down friends and make s*** crack.””

Last edited by Maru; 13-03-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
angeles, antigentrification, generation, los, march, radicals