Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 12:04 AM #551
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
After your sarcastic comments on the apparent rantings of others earlier you produce this hypocritical diatribe. Everyone is entitled to their opinions on certain religions whether you like them or not - it is not your call to censor the opinions of others however hard you try.

It seems to me that you have one rule for one religion and a different for another with your total disapproval of any criticism of Islam whilst defending the leader of the political party you support despite documented evidence of his antisemetic opinions on many occasions. One rule for you and another for the rest of us.

Out of interest what relevance do you think that last paragraph has to those that are not Jewish? You really need to take a chill pill? Pure hysterics!
Are the 10 commandments only for the Jewish? I need to have a word with my sunday school teacher :/
Old 09-04-2018, 01:12 AM #552

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
Agree. Labours leadership has been an issue for quite a while for me. I had fewer issues with the Millibands than I currently have with Corbyn as a leader.

He was New Labour
not a good leader.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:13 AM #553
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Are the 10 commandments only for the Jewish? I need to have a word with my sunday school teacher :/
https://bible.org/article/mosaic-law...-new-testament

Firstly no-one was bearing false witness.

Secondly Christians are not under the rule of the Mosaic Law and thirdly many of us are not religious so the point of such a comment was what exactly?

It was a presumptiouus and manipulative thing to say. Attempted emotional blackmail.

I am actually quite shocked by the intention behind such a comment - it was extremely controlling and completely inappropriate.

Btw - You have that word with your Sunday school teacher, as you clearly need it.

Besides I thought you were against capital punishment for murder and terrorism - indeed under any circumstances - but you weakly attempt to defend such a comment on the punishment for ‘bearing false witness’. Now what was that word I was looking for ...

Last edited by Brillopad; 09-04-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:54 AM #554

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

Brillo, stop begging the mods for dem bans.
Imagine what it would be like if Kizzy and me were banned. You would have nobody to debate with and likely have very short threads where you all agreed.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:17 AM #555

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Imagine what it would be like if Kizzy and me were banned. You would have nobody to debate with and likely have very short threads where you all agreed.
No one I know of on here desires ANYONE to be banned.

What is desired though, is for thread topics to be able to be debated/discussed without:

1) repeated attempts by SOME to deflect and derail the thread once it becomes clear that THEY are losing the argument.

2) repeated attempts by SOME to render further debate/discussion FUTILE by their use of Circular Argument because THEY know that they have no answers and are losing the debate/discussion.

3) repeated attempts by SOME to make false allegations within a post of being 'baited' or 'targeted' for the purposes of intimidating their opponents into silence and also convincing readers/Mods as a precursor to using the REPORT button purely because they KNOW that they are losing the debate/discussion.

4) repeated attempts by SOME to stealthily 'raise the emotional temperature' of a debate/discussion by clever tactics to elicit 'heated responses' borne of frustration or retaliation. for the purposes of ultimately having a thread CLOSED because they KNOW that they are losing the debate/discussion.

As for your statement that minus you and Kizzy the rest of us would have no one to debate with and have very short threads where we all agreed, that is pure tosh.

NONE of us agrees on every subject and short honest debates where NONE of the above unfair tactics has been employed would be far, far more satisfactory than the longest thread where they are.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:31 AM #556
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post

What is desired though, is for thread topics to be able to be debated/discussed without:

1) repeated attempts by SOME to deflect and derail the thread once it becomes clear that THEY are losing the argument.

2) repeated attempts by SOME to render further debate/discussion FUTILE by their use of Circular Argument because THEY know that they have no answers and are losing the debate/discussion.

3) repeated attempts by SOME to make false allegations within a post of being 'baited' or 'targeted' for the purposes of intimidating their opponents into silence and also convincing readers/Mods as a precursor to using the REPORT button purely because they KNOW that they are losing the debate/discussion.

4) repeated attempts by SOME to stealthily 'raise the emotional temperature' of a debate/discussion by clever tactics to elicit 'heated responses' borne of frustration or retaliation. for the purposes of ultimately having a thread CLOSED because they KNOW that they are losing the debate/discussion.

As for your statement that minus you and Kizzy the rest of us would have no one to debate with and have very short threads where we all agreed, that is pure tosh.

NONE of us agrees on every subject and short honest debates where NONE of the above unfair tactics has been employed would be far, far more satisfactory than the longest thread where they are.
Well said again Kirk!
Old 09-04-2018, 07:38 AM #557
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

there is one thing not now accurate with the thread title .... it's not secret anymore. At least people are now aware and can make their own minds up if Corbyn is doing a good or bad job at eradicating antisemitism from the labour party. They can also make their own minds up at his own behaviour.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:33 AM #558
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

This is a discussion forum there are no 'winners and losers'. Should I be accused of being anti British or any other slur I will be sure to raise that within the thread, or report.

'You are not in any position to point out any vile remarks'... Be assured I am and I will, if made on this forum regardless what is said in the wider community.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:36 AM #559
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You don't post here for months at a time, there is still debate in your absence

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 09-04-2018, 10:53 AM #560

Quote:

Its not losing an argument though is it. When two people are up against a dozen who mock, clap and laugh at anything we say its more like losing the will to live.

Quote:

Its funny how counter argument is often accused of being off topic or pointless waffle. There are plenty of answers coming from your opposition. Just because you don't agree doesn't make them 'no answers'!

Quote:
I'd like to see you sit in my shoes for a day in here. Even when I write something positive and agreeable, people jump on me and pick holes in what I say. It feels like I'm surrounded by spit hating enemies. I've watched people like me on here stop posting or apologizing upfront before they post anything that may cause a reaction by a mob of posters. Sometimes its clearly a case of, if you can't beat em, join em.
I've had emails on here telling me certain people pm him and try and pester him to come and join in a thread to knock me back. Perhaps he's just a siht stirrer but whether its true or not, its an insidious style of bullying. And yes, I do feel bullied. Perhaps that's because as well as being sensitive towards other peoples misfortune, I'm also sensitive by nature. That doesn't make me a weak person, it just makes me someone who cares passionately about certain issues.

Quote:
Oh come on Kirk, you love a heated debate.
You keep saying 'losing' as though this is some sort of competition. Does there have to be a winner and a loser in a debate? How many people on here come up with long counter arguments? you do but you are one few, not many. If you want to make this a competition then allow for real counter argument and stop believing that the one liner brigade count in a debate.

Quote:
There are a few people in here who want to get energetic with a post and want to put in their ten penneth worth. There are people in here who seem to thrive on anger and look for insult. This is why threads often go on page after page.

I only come on here because I'm politically minded and enjoy a debate but the debates on here of late have become so one sided because most of the Left no longer post. I'm only here because I'm stubborn and refuse to be chased out but I can't see that lasting. I'm finding it all a bit much. I left here last night feeling so frustrated. I woke up last night thinking about some of the things some people on here are saying and I lay there feeling thoroughly deflated. This isn't a healthy environment for people like me who sit to the Left so I doubt I'll be around on here much longer.
Quote:
See, there you go, accusing us of tosh. Apart from when I'm replying to flippant troll like posts, I give time and thought to my responses. Just as you have knowledge from your sources, I have knowledge from mine. I am staunchly anti-racist. I'm passionate about human rights and I believe May and her government are dreadful. Those are the things that I talk about, debate, try and reason with.

After re-reading what I've just written, the realization that this place is, on an emotional level, a very unhealthy place for me to express any opinion. I've just sold a painting. We've just bought a new home and I've just had a promotion at work but I'm on here getting frustrated and depressed. I think its time I went off and enjoyed the fruits of my labor.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:58 AM #561
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
You don't post here for months at a time, there is still debate in your absence
You haven't posted to this thread at all... What's your take on it?

It wouldn't matter if people post daily, monthly or bi-annually as long as when they do they actually contribute.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:00 AM #562
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You haven't posted to this thread at all... What's your take on it?

It wouldn't matter if people post daily, monthly or bi-annually as long as when they do they actually contribute.
I don't have to have an opinion on everything, you can't be pleased at the moment Kizzy, if I offer an opinion you would probably accuse me of tag teaming so just give over

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 09-04-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:12 AM #563
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Its not losing an argument though is it. When two people are up against a dozen who mock, clap and laugh at anything we say its more like losing the will to live.

Its funny how counter argument is often accused of being off topic or pointless waffle. There are plenty of answers coming from your opposition. Just because you don't agree doesn't make them 'no answers'!

I'd like to see you sit in my shoes for a day in here. Even when I write something positive and agreeable, people jump on me and pick holes in what I say. It feels like I'm surrounded by spit hating enemies. I've watched people like me on here stop posting or apologizing upfront before they post anything that may cause a reaction by a mob of posters. Sometimes its clearly a case of, if you can't beat em, join em.
I've had emails on here telling me certain people pm him and try and pester him to come and join in a thread to knock me back. Perhaps he's just a siht stirrer but whether its true or not, its an insidious style of bullying. And yes, I do feel bullied. Perhaps that's because as well as being sensitive towards other peoples misfortune, I'm also sensitive by nature. That doesn't make me a weak person, it just makes me someone who cares passionately about certain issues.

You keep saying 'losing' as though this is some sort of competition. Does there have to be a winner and a loser in a debate? How many people on here come up with long counter arguments? you do but you are one few, not many. If you want to make this a competition then allow for real counter argument and stop believing that the one liner brigade count in a debate.

There are a few people in here who want to get energetic with a post and want to put in their ten penneth worth. There are people in here who seem to thrive on anger and look for insult. This is why threads often go on page after page.

I only come on here because I'm politically minded and enjoy a debate but the debates on here of late have become so one sided because most of the Left no longer post. I'm only here because I'm stubborn and refuse to be chased out but I can't see that lasting. I'm finding it all a bit much. I left here last night feeling so frustrated. I woke up last night thinking about some of the things some people on here are saying and I lay there feeling thoroughly deflated. This isn't a healthy environment for people like me who sit to the Left so I doubt I'll be around on here much longer.

See, there you go, accusing us of tosh. Apart from when I'm replying to flippant troll like posts, I give time and thought to my responses. Just as you have knowledge from your sources, I have knowledge from mine. I am staunchly anti-racist. I'm passionate about human rights and I believe May and her government are dreadful. Those are the things that I talk about, debate, try and reason with.

After re-reading what I've just written, the realization that this place is, on an emotional level, a very unhealthy place for me to express any opinion. I've just sold a painting. We've just bought a new home and I've just had a promotion at work but I'm on here getting frustrated and depressed. I think its time I went off and enjoyed the fruits of my labor.
Lovely post DR totally agree, it does not naturally follow thought that as a supporter of Labour from my perspective it naturally follows that I turn a blind eye to wrongdoing... I don't. I will rationalise it and use examples that counter any prejudice, as there cannot be only one area of focus that in itself is prejudiced.

Should any antisemitism, racism, or Islamophobia be evident in our political sphere eradicate it.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:14 AM #564
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I don't have to have an opinion on everything, you can't be pleased at the moment Kizzy, if I offer an opinion you would probably accuse me of tag teaming so just give over
Well thanks for your presumption, if you have nothing to say on the topic there's nothing to discuss is there?
Old 09-04-2018, 11:36 AM #565
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well thanks for your presumption, if you have nothing to say on the topic there's nothing to discuss is there?
I can respond to any comments as I see fit as long as I am within the rules, I didn't quote you at all, until you decided to take it on yourself to respond on behalf of DR, yet you accuse others of tag teaming, incredible.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:43 AM #566
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I can respond to any comments as I see fit as long as I am within the rules, I didn't quote you at all, until you decided to take it on yourself to respond on behalf of DR, yet you accuse others of tag teaming, incredible.
I haven't mentioned tag teaming... you did.

If you're not commenting on the thread topic and attacking members who are how is that within the rules? :/
Old 09-04-2018, 11:48 AM #567
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:

If you're not commenting on the thread topic and attacking members who are how is that within the rules? :/
Not on this thread,

I didn't attack DR, I made a perfectly reasonable response

Old 09-04-2018, 12:12 PM #568

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolitionred View Post
its not losing an argument though is it. When two people are up against a dozen who mock, clap and laugh at anything we say its more like losing the will to live.

I'd like to see you sit in my shoes for a day in here. Even when i write something positive and agreeable, people jump on me and pick holes in what i say. It feels like i'm surrounded by spit hating enemies. I've watched people like me on here stop posting or apologizing upfront before they post anything that may cause a reaction by a mob of posters. Sometimes its clearly a case of, if you can't beat em, join em.
I've had emails on here telling me certain people pm him and try and pester him to come and join in a thread to knock me back. Perhaps he's just a siht stirrer but whether its true or not, its an insidious style of bullying. And yes, i do feel bullied. Perhaps that's because as well as being sensitive towards other peoples misfortune, i'm also sensitive by nature. That doesn't make me a weak person, it just makes me someone who cares passionately about certain issues.

Oh come on kirk, you love a heated debate.
You keep saying 'losing' as though this is some sort of competition. Does there have to be a winner and a loser in a debate? How many people on here come up with long counter arguments? You do but you are one few, not many. If you want to make this a competition then allow for real counter argument and stop believing that the one liner brigade count in a debate.

I only come on here because i'm politically minded and enjoy a debate but the debates on here of late have become so one sided because most of the left no longer post. I'm only here because i'm stubborn and refuse to be chased out but i can't see that lasting. I'm finding it all a bit much. I left here last night feeling so frustrated. I woke up last night thinking about some of the things some people on here are saying and i lay there feeling thoroughly deflated. This isn't a healthy environment for people like me who sit to the left so i doubt i'll be around on here much longer.

See, there you go, accusing us of tosh. Apart from when i'm replying to flippant troll like posts, i give time and thought to my responses. Just as you have knowledge from your sources, i have knowledge from mine. I am staunchly anti-racist. I'm passionate about human rights and i believe may and her government are dreadful. Those are the things that i talk about, debate, try and reason with.

After re-reading what i've just written, the realization that this place is, on an emotional level, a very unhealthy place for me to express any opinion. I've just sold a painting. We've just bought a new home and i've just had a promotion at work but i'm on here getting frustrated and depressed. I think its time i went off and enjoyed the fruits of my labor.
i agree with that to be fair.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:16 PM #569
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

completely off topic, is your avatar a pic of onions Kizzy

is that a reference to you know your onions or ...they might be beets...

Last edited by Cherie; 09-04-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:33 PM #570

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
completely off topic, is your avatar a pic of onions Kizzy

is that a reference to you know your onions or ...they might be beets...
Old 09-04-2018, 12:35 PM #571
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Lovely post DR totally agree, it does not naturally follow thought that as a supporter of Labour from my perspective it naturally follows that I turn a blind eye to wrongdoing... I don't. I will rationalise it and use examples that counter any prejudice, as there cannot be only one area of focus that in itself is prejudiced.

Should any antisemitism, racism, or Islamophobia be evident in our political sphere eradicate it.
Maybe you should instruct Corbyn to do the same.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:38 PM #572
User banned

User banned

Quote:

You often incorrectly accuse people of tag-teaming - but when with DR you like to indulge. People can read Kizzy!
Old 09-04-2018, 01:07 PM #573
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
That was a genuine question but I can see now how it could be misread

Old 09-04-2018, 01:16 PM #574

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
That was a genuine question but I can see now how it could be misread
Old 09-04-2018, 01:46 PM #575

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Quote:

I really do think a lot of that is paranoia and fantasy but if you honestly think people who disagree with you on a forum are the equivalent of spitting on you why are you here? Why keep flouncing off and returning? That's not healthy.

I think a lot of posters on this forum have political disillusion and apathy but you seem to mistake not agreeing with you to being some kind of political enemy.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 09-04-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
antissemtic, secret