Notices

BB19 Posts about Big Brother 19 UK. Discuss the housemates and series - which was won by Cameron - here.

-----

Old 07-05-2018, 12:22 AM #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
Ill-informed? Actually quite the opposite... All Access will be coming to the UK some time in 2018... Just launched in Canada this month with the UK and Australia to follow later in the year...
Nobody gonna pay for that sh*t.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:29 AM #52
Canadian Royalty

Canadian Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Nobody gonna pay for that sh*t.
And you know this how?
Old 07-05-2018, 12:35 AM #53

Quote:
And you know this how?
Because CBS is a free channel over here and nobody watches that sh*t.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:43 AM #54
Canadian Royalty

Canadian Royalty

Quote:
CBS is also a "free" channel in North America... It's obviously been successful enough that they're launching it internationally... Also just like Netflix CBS All Access has content that's exclusive to the platform...
Old 07-05-2018, 12:49 AM #55

Quote:
CBS is also a "free" channel in North America... It's obviously been successful enough that they're launching it internationally... Also just like Netflix CBS All Access has content that's exclusive to the platform...
Oooh, get them.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:35 PM #56
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

I wonder what the future of live TV will be... because as it stands, it's easy to get a TV series through On-Demand services after they've aired (and been paid for with CM's)... but live is one of those things that has kept broadcast TV around and still relevant.

We were selected for Nielsen at random and decided to participate to see how it all works... anyway, it was interesting what we were told. They monitor Chromecast/Amazon Fire TV, etc... they said in the US at least, that broadcasting is required by law to send a code that can be picked up by their boxes, etc. Supposedly Kodi was told they had to transmit these codes and so they have included it... and they're able to check if we are watching international channels as well and was told that without mentioning that I watch C5 on FireTV.. so maybe they can track when I watch BBUK in the UK. Though I think they would have to pay Nielsen to get those demographics... not sure how that portion works exactly tbh (edit)...

Anyway, they apparently track a lot of "untraditional" methods of watching TV as well. They definitely realize viewing habits have changed... Youtube also supposedly has to put out those codes so they know if you're watching a broadcast that is in the form of a podcast, etc, and they do track it, etc... I watch a lot more YT/HBO Go, etc than I watch broadcast TV and I think that over time, this is where broadcast will be heading is through independent outlets, etc... competition has really helped the mobile industry to pull itself out of the swamp, and the same pressure is being applied to broadcast... doesn't mean BB can't thrive on broadcast, but maybe online is a better fit for an increasingly niche market, especially when viewing habits have changed and online would probably make it more attractive and easier to follow for the the social media crowd...

Last edited by Maru; 07-05-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:01 PM #57
-

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

-

Favourites (more):

Quote:
you forgot to mention it just shows repeats of ****e from the early 2000s
T* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:03 PM #58
-

Favourites (more):

-

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
I wonder what the future of live TV will be... because as it stands, it's easy to get a TV series through On-Demand services after they've aired (and been paid for with CM's)... but live is one of those things that has kept broadcast TV around and still relevant.

We were selected for Nielsen at random and decided to participate to see how it all works... anyway, it was interesting what we were told. They monitor Chromecast/Amazon Fire TV, etc... they said in the US at least, that broadcasting is required by law to send a code that can be picked up by their boxes, etc. Supposedly Kodi was told they had to transmit these codes and so they have included it... and they're able to check if we are watching international channels as well and was told that without mentioning that I watch C5 on FireTV.. so maybe they can track when I watch BBUK in the UK. Though I think they would have to pay Nielsen to get those demographics... not sure how that portion works exactly tbh (edit)...

Anyway, they apparently track a lot of "untraditional" methods of watching TV as well. They definitely realize viewing habits have changed... Youtube also supposedly has to put out those codes so they know if you're watching a broadcast that is in the form of a podcast, etc, and they do track it, etc... I watch a lot more YT/HBO Go, etc than I watch broadcast TV and I think that over time, this is where broadcast will be heading is through independent outlets, etc... competition has really helped the mobile industry to pull itself out of the swamp, and the same pressure is being applied to broadcast... doesn't mean BB can't thrive on broadcast, but maybe online is a better fit for an increasingly niche market, especially when viewing habits have changed and online would probably make it more attractive and easier to follow for the the social media crowd...
omg that's so interesting, gives a lot more perspective on it all
Old 07-05-2018, 11:04 PM #59
-

Favourites (more):

-

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It's already started...
welcome to my ignore list
Old 07-05-2018, 11:20 PM #60
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by T* View Post
omg that's so interesting, gives a lot more perspective on it all
Yeah they were very open and neutral about what they can pull, the different viewing methods that can be tallied, etc... they don't even care if you watch something pirated... they stressed that without us asking and actually said PirateBay by name. So they must be able to see what goes on there and are open and honest about what they can see... but they just want to track so they have as clear a picture of the demographic as possible... ... so I guess when they say in an article that XYZ program or show was downloaded XYZ number of times or that a lot of Americans download this show from abroad... they do actually know, and it's not as much of a guess as we would think...

They also do check if you turn off a show after first X amt of minutes. They also check if you change during particular commercials... if you will watch commercials that are local, but change on those that are national brands for example... very interesting, the data science.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
streaming