Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Football Discuss football in general, including The World Cup, Premier League and Champions League.

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 PM #26

Lol!

so he will make torres look like an average striker to i guess?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 PM #27

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Favourites (more):

EVERTON have rejected a bid from Stoke City to sign James Vaughan

Ambitious Stoke are aiming to cement their place in the Premier League and had targeted the 21-year-old.

The Potters offered a down payment of £2million with the fee rising to £5m depending on Vaughan’s appearances and progress.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:17 PM #28
FFS

FFS

Credit to Moyes for staying true to his word (so far) about not letting any players leave.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:18 PM #29

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Moyes tells other teams where to stick it
Old 10-08-2009, 11:18 PM #30
Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Manchester City Will Sign Joleon Lescott Within 36 Hours - Report

British media outlet Sportsmail has reported that Manchester City have been encouraged to continue their pursuit of Joleon Lescott from Everton - and that the deal could well be over within the next 36 hours.

It is understood that, despite the deal being declared all but dead at the weekend, the Citizens were told to follow up their previous inquiries regarding the player who is tipped to be sold at £20 million plus add-ons.

Mark Hughes has already spent in excess of £95 million this year strengthening his squad and the Welshman believes that Lescott is the perfect player to pair Kolo Toure in a left-foot, right-foot partnership at the centre of City's defence.

If Hughes is successful in signing Lescott, it is expected that the defender will feature in City's first Premier League game against Blackburn.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:20 PM #31

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Hughes will fail

Lescott will be starting against arsenal
Old 10-08-2009, 11:44 PM #32

Moyes has said hes a bit worried over the lack of action in the transfer market..
Old 10-08-2009, 11:48 PM #33

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Jose the special one
Old 11-08-2009, 12:13 AM #34

I don't see the point in this advert...

He says the premiership is no longer the best league in the world, and now hes doing this, which pretty much shows premiership games...

He wants to be manager at utd after ferguson.. they will continue to dominate if he does.

Fergie is looking relly old and tired at the moment come to think of it..
Old 11-08-2009, 12:15 AM #35

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Mourinho as manager off man utd

that would be immense
Old 11-08-2009, 12:23 AM #36

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

BLUES MADE DE ROSSI BID - ROMA

Roma official Bruno Conti claims he was approached by Chelsea regarding the availability of Daniele De Rossi.

The Blues have been strongly linked with a host of players during the summer transfer window as Carlo Ancelotti looks to piece together a side capable of wrestling the Premier League title from the clutches of Manchester United.

The Italian coach is believed to have cast his eye over a number of those plying their trade in his homeland, with employees of former club AC Milan dominating the headlines.

However, it appears that Roma midfielder De Rossi has also fallen under his radar, with a big-money approach reported to have been lodged.

"I've personally had a call from Ancelotti to take the player to Chelsea. But Daniele is untouchable," Conti told Radio Radio.

"The offer was of a lot of money, but it has been refused."

Roma president Rosella Sensi has also moved to distance the club from any suggestion that they would be prepared to part with the Italy international.

"De Rossi isn't and won't be for sale. He remains with us", she said.

Sensi also admitted that the decision to offload Alberto Aquilani to Liverpool was a tough call to make.

"It was a difficult choice. But he deserved a big club," added the club supremo.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:24 AM #37

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

WENGER: NO IMMINENT SIGNINGS

Arsene Wenger admits he could well now head into the first game of the Barclays Premier League campaign with the squad he has now - and will "trust" his men to deliver.

The Gunners completed their build-up at Valencia on Saturday night, losing 2-0 in the Mestalla which was the only defeat of pre-season.

With the majority of the first-team squad now set to be away on international duty - including Theo Walcott with England and youngster Jack Wilshere in the Under-21s - Wenger is keeping his fingers crossed he will have no fresh injury concerns when the players return ahead of Saturday's trip to Everton, which is set to be closely followed by the first leg of the Champions League qualifier against Celtic in Glasgow.

Moves for former captain Patrick Vieira and Bordeaux's £12million-rated Morocco striker Marouane Chamakh appear no further forwards, while Arsenal have also been linked with St Etienne midfielder Blaise Matuidi.

Defender Philippe Senderos is expected to join Everton, if a fee can be agreed, although the club will not entertain any interest in captain Cesc Fabregas, who has, not for the first time this summer, been linked with a transfer to Barcelona.

Wenger has complete faith in the men already at Emirates Stadium.

"Not at the moment, no," said Wenger when asked if there was any imminent news on the transfer front.

"We work always, but it would be pretentious to say that we signed anybody now before the season starts."

He told Arsenal TV Online: "I am very optimistic about the season and I am very positive about this team.

"We always have to listen to peoples' opinions, but you also have to trust what you see in the games and in training.

"Overall it was very positive preparation, and I believe we have shown quality in every game.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:24 AM #38

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

NO ENVY FROM ROONEY

Wayne Rooney is not interested in casting envious glances at Real Madrid or Manchester City with the England forward confident Manchester United already have the quality at their disposal to land the major prizes.

The entire football world has been staggered at the enormous amounts of money shelled out by the men controlling the purse strings at the Bernabeu and Eastlands.

It seems like every few days another expensive purchase is being agreed, with Real smashing the world transfer record twice in a single week to land Kaka and then Cristiano Ronaldo.

City have profited at United's expense too by acquiring Carlos Tevez, while Matthew Upson is said to be top of the list of alternatives should Joleon Lescott's capture from Everton prove elusive.

Rooney is interested to see how it works out for the big-spending pair. But he is not jealous, or worried about what it means for United.

"There is no element of jealousy at the money City and Real Madrid have been spending," he said.

"If our manager felt he needed to spend he would.

"But I don't believe we need too many changes. We have won the league for the last three seasons and reached the Champions League final twice in a row, so why would we need five or six players?

"I think the manager has probably got it right."

Sir Alex Ferguson would almost certainly have bought another experienced striker if the summer prices had not been so prohibitive.

An offer was made to Lyon for Karim Benzema, only for Ferguson to pull out when the price went over £30million, leaving the French international to join the Real Madrid throng.

There is interest in Atletico Madrid's young Argentina forward Sergei Aguero, only for United to be faced with a £50million fee which they are not willing to pay.

So, for all the promise of Federico Macheda, the Red Devils do appear to be a striker short which, after losing a player who has contributed an average goal tally in excess of 30 a year for the last three seasons, raises inevitable questions, which Rooney is content will be answered.

"Cristiano is the best player in the world," he said.

"If you lose him of course there are going to be questions asked.

"But we have brought Michael Owen and Antonio Valencia in and they have settled in fairly quickly so it is on us to build on that.

"We might need to play a little bit of a different style to try and keep winning games and trying to win trophies but I am confident we will manage it."

There is nothing revolutionary about the new style, merely a return to a couple of orthodox wide players, with one striker dropping behind another.

In theory then, a return to the role Rooney likes best, the one where he has proved so effective for England.

Except the same thing was promised by Ferguson 12 months ago and it did not quite materialise as Ronaldo's increasing reluctance to do any defending left a gap on the wing Rooney was eventually called upon to fill.

"The manager has said I will play a more central role and I have said quite often that it is my preferred position," he smiled.

"I am not sure whether it will happen, whatever the manager says goes. But I was delighted to play there against Chelsea yesterday and I hope to stay there for most of the season.

"Put it this way, if I keep scoring goals from this position it will justify why I have been selected there and then I don't see any reason why he would play me out wide."

Rooney has certainly made a good start judging by his performance against Chelsea in the Community Shield yesterday.

And, for all the furore that surrounds Owen, Dimitar Berbatov would appear to be the man most likely to partner him.

So often a peripheral figure last term, United's £30.75million record signing seems to have a renewed vigour ahead of his second season at Old Trafford.

Rooney can sense it, which is why he is expecting big things of the Bulgarian.

"You can see in training and games during pre-season Dimitar has looked sharper," he said.

"He looks like he is more determined.

"He is tracking back with the full-backs in pre-season and is definitely working harder and trying to impress.

"He is a brilliant player. He has so much quality he has got and we all want him to show it."
Old 11-08-2009, 12:27 AM #39

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Hull City boss Phil Brown has revealed striker Henri Camara, available on a free transfer after leaving Wigan Athletic, could be close to a move.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:27 AM #40

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Liverpool are keen on signing Japanese star Keisuke Honda, who is currently playing in Holland for VVV Venlo
Old 11-08-2009, 12:32 AM #41

Quote:
Originally posted by .Andy.
WENGER: NO IMMINENT SIGNINGS

Arsene Wenger admits he could well now head into the first game of the Barclays Premier League campaign with the squad he has now - and will "trust" his men to deliver.

The Gunners completed their build-up at Valencia on Saturday night, losing 2-0 in the Mestalla which was the only defeat of pre-season.

With the majority of the first-team squad now set to be away on international duty - including Theo Walcott with England and youngster Jack Wilshere in the Under-21s - Wenger is keeping his fingers crossed he will have no fresh injury concerns when the players return ahead of Saturday's trip to Everton, which is set to be closely followed by the first leg of the Champions League qualifier against Celtic in Glasgow.

Moves for former captain Patrick Vieira and Bordeaux's £12million-rated Morocco striker Marouane Chamakh appear no further forwards, while Arsenal have also been linked with St Etienne midfielder Blaise Matuidi.

Defender Philippe Senderos is expected to join Everton, if a fee can be agreed, although the club will not entertain any interest in captain Cesc Fabregas, who has, not for the first time this summer, been linked with a transfer to Barcelona.

Wenger has complete faith in the men already at Emirates Stadium.

"Not at the moment, no," said Wenger when asked if there was any imminent news on the transfer front.

"We work always, but it would be pretentious to say that we signed anybody now before the season starts."

He told Arsenal TV Online: "I am very optimistic about the season and I am very positive about this team.

"We always have to listen to peoples' opinions, but you also have to trust what you see in the games and in training.

"Overall it was very positive preparation, and I believe we have shown quality in every game.

This is a couple of days old.

I think we will get Chamakh...
Old 11-08-2009, 12:35 AM #42

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Chamakh is Jo standard

Not as good as Saha though
Old 11-08-2009, 12:37 AM #43
FFS

FFS

We need a DM and CB - if not then I'm writing off our chances of winning anything this year. He acknowledged what was missing at the end of last season but has so far brought in just the one player. At least there's still 20 days to go in the window but right now it looks rather ominous.

P.S. 30stone, sent u a U2U a few minutes ago.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:39 AM #44

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Reports suggest Blackburn and West Ham are chasing Real Madrid legend Michel Salgado. The full-back will be available as a free agent.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:41 AM #45

Chamah is a good player and knows where the goal is.

With a team like arsenal around him im sure he will be quality.

And yeh i think we definately need at least 1 new player..

I still think we could win Carling or F.A cup though, like we can still beat the best, just has to be the right day, as we proved against united and chelsea in the first half of the season.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:41 AM #46

Reports in turkey suggest weve agreed a price for Tuncay, 7million or a cash and harewood deal

I'd take him him, nifty little player who will shine in a better team than Boro
Old 11-08-2009, 12:44 AM #47

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Greek outfit Iraklis Salonica have taken Napoli midfielder Sam Dalla Bona on a season-long loan.

LOL i remember dalla bona at chelsea
Old 11-08-2009, 12:47 AM #48
FFS

FFS

Quote:
Originally posted by 30stone
Chamah is a good player and knows where the goal is.

With a team like arsenal around him im sure he will be quality.

And yeh i think we definately need at least 1 new player..

I still think we could win Carling or F.A cup though, like we can still beat the best, just has to be the right day, as we proved against united and chelsea in the first half of the season.
Consistency is the key for this team - like you say, on our day we can beat absolutely anybody. But it depends if we want to be bothered or not. Sometimes I think we have a different attitude for games against the top 4 as opposed to games against teams such as Hull, Stoke etc. A bit of over-confidence creeps in our game because we think the game is already won -- and look what happened when we played those two last season; 2 losses.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:49 AM #49

Milner-- Petrov-- Delph/NRC --Young
-------Tuncay-------------------
----------------Carew------------

sounds good to me
Old 11-08-2009, 12:49 AM #50

Yeah it is, and particular players need to keep the consistancy to..
Players like Walcott.. And Van Persie sometimes..
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
football, talk