Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 25-11-2012, 09:52 AM #26

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

In many ways a close Internet friend can be more of a friend than someone you see two or three times a week. There are pro's and cons to Internet friendships on the upside one can develop quite an intimate bond with regard to the amount of time you spend talking to the other person. Also freed from the normal constraints of a "real" friendship Internet friendships can become quite intense, but ultimately you do need face to face contact as you can never truly know someone through the Internet. But I think it is possible to build up good friendships on the Web especially if the person lives on another continent. But ultimately they would have to meet for the Friendship to become truly "real" ...!!!
Nedusa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 10:24 AM #27
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Bens point about pen friends is very true, although I was always one for being terrified of the internet after some crazy on facebook copied my pictures once.
This said a few of you have gotten under my skin, members here are very diverse but genuine.
When I see how long some have been around on this forum, peers sharing exam stresses, mutual intrests and relationship problems it's not surprising that strong bonds have developed.
Old 25-11-2012, 10:27 AM #28
-

-

Yeah I think so
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 11:05 AM #29
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..I think so..I've never felt it any differently from real life friends, it's just the communication of it which is different...my friendships are very genuine and I care about some people on here no less than if I had ever met them in real life.....

...but I'm of a different generation to most people and I'm often told that forum friendships are fickle and shouldn't be taken too seriously...so I can only say how I feel...I never have fickle friendships..I either connect with people on here or I don't..just the same as in real life..and if I do connect with them, then I think of them as any other friend..whether because of the age difference it would ever be possible to have the same friendship with them in real life...well, I guess maybe it wouldn't..so I'm glad the internet makes it possible to have those friendships....
Ammi is a great friend to me. So I do hope she's real and not some android talking somewhere

Last edited by InOne; 25-11-2012 at 11:07 AM.
InOne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 11:11 AM #30
Team Flack

Team Flack

Yes! I think a lot of online people end up talking to their online friends more than their real life friends. It's the same as any friend who moved away, just because you never see them doesn't mean they're not your friend. I think as with friendship, some stay and some don't. I've had online friend who I've known 6/7 years by now and friends who I had back then who I'm not friends with anymore and vice versa.

It's funny, most people I'm friends with off here aren't here anymore and I talk to them on Twitter but I've met five people off here now so it's a good place.

Last edited by Princess; 25-11-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Princess is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 11:27 AM #31
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Yes I do but didn't before I joined this forum.

I came on here mainly as a supporter of BB and to share a lot of agreements and disagreements as to housemates with others who also loved BB series.

However,over so many topics and a great deal of communication with people on here,a fair few members have come to matter to me, I am interested in them as individuals and with some have shared a lot of things and talked as to things I don't often with people around me.
One person in particular,I already see as a friend,there are several others that have come to be seen as friends,for want of a better word,by me also now too, in addition to him.

It is my hope that after Uni, I will cross paths with some members on here.So yes, I believe friendships forged, on here particularly, can be real and lasting,I would hope so anyway.

Last edited by joeysteele; 25-11-2012 at 11:39 AM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 06:59 PM #32
Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Yes definitely, I have so many similarities with some people who I talk to online and they are good to talk to. Although I would like to meet some of the people I talk to online (defo meeting 1 person I talk to online in 2013 ) it is still great talking to people - even of you never see them in real lofe.

Harry! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 07:41 PM #33
Z

Z

I think internet friends are real friends, but they're not the same as your real life friends... often you can be more open with internet friends because there are, in a way, no consequences if you tell someone a personal secret. With real life friends, they know you in a different way and probably have more of a gauge of your character but are still your friends regardless... online friends generally only get to know the good side of you, the side you want them to see.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 07:45 PM #34
CharlieO

Favourites (more):
UBB: Nikki
BB11: Josie
CharlieO

Favourites (more):
UBB: Nikki
BB11: Josie

no and i think anyone who thinks they are are deluded in le fache

ME AND GOD WE DON'T GET ALONG, SO NOW I SING
CharlieO is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 08:03 PM #35
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

I think they definitely can be. I talk to some people who I've met through the internet even more than my real life friends.
Old 26-11-2012, 11:27 AM #36
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I anybody a real friend? You have to put your trust in people, and sometimes they turn out to be not all they seem. That goes for real life as well as the Internet. The friends I have on here I class as real friends and actually, I'm probably more open about myself on here than I am with people offline.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 11:44 AM #37
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I anybody a real friend? You have to put your trust in people, and sometimes they turn out to be not all they seem. That goes for real life as well as the Internet. The friends I have on here I class as real friends and actually, I'm probably more open about myself on here than I am with people offline.
Pretty much this. At least with online friends you have the confidence that they won't be slagging you off behind your back (because they know no one who you know).
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 12:02 PM #38
Jesus.

Jesus.

I think it's all about perception. If you view people as your friends, then they are your friends. I have friends that I rarely see, but when I see them, it's like we see each other regularly.

And I have friends that I see all the time, that have grown up in the same group as me, that I don't particularly like that much. Friendships by their very nature are personal and viewed differently by people.

This isn't a yes or no question, it's about personal feelings. I think it's easier to not have to put on a brave face over the internet. Sometimes if people ask if you are alright, then in life it's easier to say yes, rather than go through your troubles.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 01:28 PM #39

Favourites (more):
BB18: Chanelle
BBCanada 5: Kevin

Favourites (more):
BB18: Chanelle
BBCanada 5: Kevin

I think that's a really interesting article. I do feel as though my friends online are my real friends but there's always the question of whether or not we would actually be able to get along in person. Chemistry among people is quite different online v in real life, and it's really unpredictable. I do think though that on sites like TiBB where we really get close to the other members, on a personal level, true friendships can be formed. But definitely not just with anyone. It'd be really interesting to meet with someone from TiBB and see how the relationship molds out in real life.
Raph is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 05:05 PM #40
MVGGA

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

MVGGA

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
It would be interesting to see how different it would be in real life, bet there would be loads of different friendship groups and people different in real life, for one I would be nervous and shy as **** for most of the time
This, I would probably make you look really confident in comparison.

Anyway to answer the OP, yes I would say I have real friends on TIBB.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
friends, internet, real