Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:42 PM #26
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy View Post
Me too ,if you took any notice of the press you could believe that we NEED immigrant workers ,and they would have you believe they all come here to work ,when this is utter rot, who picked fruit,worked in fields, cleaned office blocks etc before they all arrived en mass ? The British did .... my husband works at Tesco warehouse, 99% of ALL agency workers are immigrants ,with the Slavakians not even paying Uk tax rates ,they pay the tax of their country of origin ,its disgusting, how it will be when our Grandchildren need jobs is a scary thought
Exactly my point chuff, how is this legal in the UK?
Old 13-08-2013, 08:10 AM #27
Z

Z

It would help if the UK embraced EU membership properly instead of standing by the edge of the swimming pool in its trunks with its arms folded refusing to get in. I don't know why the UK doesn't have a fixed rate minimum wage with tax payable to the authorities for all residents of the UK but it really ought to. As it is; a lot of people come here to earn better money for the same job they'd be doing at home and send the money back home to struggling families and after a few years go back home again.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 08:31 AM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
It would help if the UK embraced EU membership properly instead of standing by the edge of the swimming pool in its trunks with its arms folded refusing to get in. I don't know why the UK doesn't have a fixed rate minimum wage with tax payable to the authorities for all residents of the UK but it really ought to. As it is; a lot of people come here to earn better money for the same job they'd be doing at home and send the money back home to struggling families and after a few years go back home again.

But Germany is under full euro
and they put in laws to protect their own factory workers
over migrants.

Blair and his New Labour took away any blocks
and let in to many migrant workers.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 08:32 AM #29
Z

Z

Right, so why are we still flailing over a mess Tony Blair created 10 years ago? It's madness.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 08:35 AM #30
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy View Post
Me too ,if you took any notice of the press you could believe that we NEED immigrant workers ,and they would have you believe they all come here to work ,when this is utter rot, who picked fruit,worked in fields, cleaned office blocks etc before they all arrived en mass ? The British did .... my husband works at Tesco warehouse, 99% of ALL agency workers are immigrants ,with the Slavakians not even paying Uk tax rates ,they pay the tax of their country of origin ,its disgusting, how it will be when our Grandchildren need jobs is a scary thought
Lots of countries have UK tax agreements with the UK. I don't see anyone moaning about America having the same agreement in place. How many Madonna's need to live in the uk and not pay our tax, to cover every Slovakian in the country?

The people who picked our fruit before, are former immigrants that have now turned into British citizens in line with the new wave of xenophobic ramblings, about Europeans coming over her to take our jobs.

You want to know the truth? I don't think the government is investing enough in infrastructure to create jobs for all workers on this island, but immigrants don't bitch about it on a forum, they get their arses round all the local farms and factories, and the money they get, they earn.

Way too many "British" people are happy to wait until very specific criteria are met, before they get themselves in the workplace. Not enough money, weird hours, childcare, get my nails done on Thursdays.

Want to know why 99% of industrial agency workers are immigrants? Because they're the people that go in to register, that get their paperwork sorted, that phone up on a daily/weekly basis to see whether there is any work in, that pop in to the offices to chat with a consultant for updates.

If only we could be foreigners, we'd get all the perks that Slovakians get. Bollocks. They get off their arses and put the hours in.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:20 AM #31
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

User banned

Favourites (more):
BB12: Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
Lots of countries have UK tax agreements with the UK. I don't see anyone moaning about America having the same agreement in place. How many Madonna's need to live in the uk and not pay our tax, to cover every Slovakian in the country?

The people who picked our fruit before, are former immigrants that have now turned into British citizens in line with the new wave of xenophobic ramblings, about Europeans coming over her to take our jobs.

You want to know the truth? I don't think the government is investing enough in infrastructure to create jobs for all workers on this island, but immigrants don't bitch about it on a forum, they get their arses round all the local farms and factories, and the money they get, they earn.

Way too many "British" people are happy to wait until very specific criteria are met, before they get themselves in the workplace. Not enough money, weird hours, childcare, get my nails done on Thursdays.

Want to know why 99% of industrial agency workers are immigrants? Because they're the people that go in to register, that get their paperwork sorted, that phone up on a daily/weekly basis to see whether there is any work in, that pop in to the offices to chat with a consultant for updates.

If only we could be foreigners, we'd get all the perks that Slovakians get. Bollocks. They get off their arses and put the hours in.
Utter rot, the "people who picked our fruit before were former immigrants" what a load of rubbish ,Ive worked in the fields veg, fruit picking ,in the early 80's .not ONE immigrant, former or otherwise were doing it then ,it was ALL the British
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 11:51 AM #32

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary

Favourites (more):

This thread highlights the problems with large influxes of foreign or migrant workers, a vast proportion do the jobs that we (the british born) don't want to do or are too lazy to do ie fruit picking, farm labouring, factory labouring, builders labouring, and a large proportion who are qualified will do the tradesman jobs like plumber,builder,election,bricklayer,plasterer,carp enter etc... much CHEAPER than the british born tradesmen.

The problem in the latter case is that these foreign workers can afford to undercut B.born workers as they invariably have no mortgages very low rent (sleep 6 to a room in shared house) , cash in hand so pay no tax, they have no pension pay no Council Tax etc... so yes they can earn good money but it is at the expense of establised workers with Mortgages with families, children in schools, debts, financial commitments , tax payers.....these are the people who NEED these jobs, the whole fabric of our Society relies on these social structures being maintained.

Employers looking to cut corners will always try and cut wage costs by employing people like this but at what price ?? a large proportion of the money earned by workers like these goes straight out of the country, so does not even get pumped back into the UK economy.

So all in all I think the Govt. needs to think more about creating jobs or re-training people and/or their work attitudes to working before it goes outside of the UK to find workers
Nedusa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 01:58 PM #33
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

This is not a xenophobic onslaught as its being perceived by some to be...
And the seasonal work is not the issue here, the OP dealt with a separate process which was the recruitment of migrants to come here and work ... and go.
So, on this premise they are not resident here so what are they putting in?
I don't for one second deny they are diligent productive workers who in their country would earn most likely less than half of our hourly rate for the same job...

The question is who benefits from the changes in employment structure, when did they occur and how far reaching will the implications be for residents of the UK?
Old 13-08-2013, 02:03 PM #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Right, so why are we still flailing over a mess Tony Blair created 10 years ago? It's madness.

Yes the New Labour Migrant Curse.
Old 13-08-2013, 02:40 PM #35

Labour are just giving the Torys the next election, it is pretty laughable.
LikeABoatOnWater is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 03:53 PM #36
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Not if people realise what a destructive force the Conservatives have been since 2010, now house and rail prices are rising.... where will anyone live or travel with their 0hr contract job?
Old 13-08-2013, 04:03 PM #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Not if people realise what a destructive force the Conservatives have been since 2010, now house and rail prices are rising.... where will anyone live or travel with their 0hr contract job?
Conservatives have turned this country around since the dark decade of labour.
Old 13-08-2013, 04:15 PM #38
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoatOnWater View Post
Is that your opinion? Good for you.
Old 13-08-2013, 04:20 PM #39

Quote:
Is that your opinion? Good for you.
It not an opinion its fact. Look at the stats. Under Labour the rich got richer and the poor got poorer. Under the conservative everyone is getting richer.
Old 13-08-2013, 04:23 PM #40

Quote:

Yes with LibDem help , as well.
Old 13-08-2013, 04:27 PM #41

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

No they're all as bad as one another, whether it be Labour,Con,Lib Dems Govt's talk the talk in opposition and when they finally get into power they realise they are unable to walk the walk. Its not their fault really , once in power they see that the social structures set in place over the previous 5 decades or more give very little room to manoeuvre.

Most Govt's first main responsibility is to keep the economy strong so this is done by always trying to maintain "growth" and this can be achieved in part by increasing the country's workforce. The main soruce of increase has been for years to increase immigration pure and simple.

As a tactic it has worked well over the years but there comes a point when everything just stops working. Schools and Hospitals are full , roads and railways are full so in effect beyond certain numbers of people in say London eg.. the very thing you are trying to increase starts to fall as growth stagnates due to productivity dropping off due to the fact nobody can move around anymore ie if it takes 3 hours to get to work and 3 hours to get home each day where's the time to actually work ??

I think we've reached that point and bringing in Migrant workers isn't going to make any difference. We need massive investment in Roads,Railways,Houses and other infrastructure Projects perhaps new Towns utilising latest planning for optimum working, with new transport links and better road networks with less congestion.

We have been sleep walking into this mess since the end of the second World War and it frightens me to think what will happen if things continue the same way.

We need REAL change not just another cosmetic change applied to give the appearance of prosperity but underneath the decay continues.......!!!!!!
Nedusa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 04:30 PM #42
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
It not an opinion its fact. Look at the stats. Under Labour the rich got richer and the poor got poorer. Under the conservative everyone is getting richer.
Do you believe that ok, which part of the UK do you live in may I ask?...
I could dig some useful stats out to corroborate your view for you maybe.

Not that turning the thread into a he said she said will serve any purpose here. We could just stick to debating the point.
Old 13-08-2013, 04:33 PM #43

Quote:
Do you believe that ok, which part of the UK do you live in may I ask?...
North West, so don't even think about giving me that **** that I'm from a perfect area and have no idea about what is really happening in the UK.
Old 13-08-2013, 04:35 PM #44
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
North West, so don't even think about giving me that **** that I'm from a perfect area and have no idea about what is really happening in the UK.
Did I say that? Don't get so defensive.
Old 13-08-2013, 04:36 PM #45

Quote:
Did I say that? Don't get so defensive.
I know where you were going with that.
Old 13-08-2013, 04:41 PM #46
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I know where you were going with that.
Do you, what am I thinking now mind reader?....
here's an idea, let's stick to the thread.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
foreign, labour, row, tesco, workers