Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:39 AM #26
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Rather backward looking from the MPs as to this issue.
This is the 21st century for goodness sake, for ages women were denied the vote,that's gone.
No need now to treat then like second class citizens and second class MPs,just because they are Mothers too, if a baby needs feeding,it needs feeding, and the stuffed shirts who it would make feel uncomfortable, should just get on with it and look away.

Maybe even ask themselves as to having such views what they are doing in Parliament themselves anyway.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:40 AM #27
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..I guess that some could question whether mothers/fathers bringing their babies into the House of Common Chamber could raise the intelligence and behaviour and be an asset...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:44 AM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..I guess that some could question whether mothers/fathers bringing their babies into the House of Common Chamber could raise the intelligence and behaviour and be an asset...
Or the amount of drivel they speak, the baby would fit right in

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras

Last edited by Jamie89; 11-11-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:48 AM #29
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

If they allow female MPs to bring their babies to work then I guess every other workplace should follow suit, if MPs feel they can do their job with a baby in toe then every other woman can as well. I look forward to those in favour being served by a waitress juggling a plate and a feeding baby :

Last edited by Cherie; 11-11-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:49 AM #30
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
Or the amount of drivel they speak, the baby would fit right in
...ba boom.....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:40 PM #31
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
If they allow female MPs to bring their babies to work then I guess every other workplace should follow suit, if MPs feel they can do their job with a baby in toe then every other woman can as well. I look forward to those in favour being served by a waitress juggling a plate and a feeding baby :
I wouldn't mind a bit, but let's try maintain a degree of perspective for the lolz.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:42 PM #32
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I wouldn't mind a bit, but let's try maintain a degree of perspective for the lolz.
Perspective? In what way? As in its okay for women in some jobs but not others?
Old 11-11-2015, 12:59 PM #33
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Well no obv, I would say that having a baby in tow may be unworkable in some professions however I do think that provision should be made where convenient to facilitate breastfeeding.

Last edited by Kizzy; 11-11-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:33 PM #34
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I disagree Joey this is about a woman doing her job would MPs accept a Dad bottle feeding an infant while responding to a question posed by the PM, the answer is no, this has nothing to do with being liberal, breastfeed all you like ladies when you are on your own time but during consultation with a constituent or posing a question on their behalf in the house, no!
Sorry to say I have to disagree.
Actually I would have no problem if the baby had to be brought to work for a Dad to bottle feed the baby.
In fact these MPs griping at the breastfeeding wouldn't have an issue were the Mother bottle feeding the baby anyway likely rather than breastfeeding.

As for engaging or getting an answer or asking a relevant question from and to this PM, well I think Baby and his/her feed are more important than listening to him waffle on anyway.
I think in fairness too as to the constituent consultation, that could take a relatively short time to do and the need to feed a Baby unlikely to arise, in the Commons many hours of time can be needed in debates for those in attendance.

Last edited by joeysteele; 11-11-2015 at 01:33 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:56 PM #35
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well no obv, I would say that having a baby in tow may be unworkable in some professions however I do think that provision should be made where convenient to facilitate breastfeeding.

Isn't it unworkable in most situations as you are there to work though, a crčche is one thing, bringing a baby into the commons or to a meeting or anywhere is just ludicrous IMO, and what would the cut off point be 6 months, 9 months, 12 ..

Quote:
Sorry to say I have to disagree.
Actually I would have no problem if the baby had to be brought to work for a Dad to bottle feed the baby.
In fact these MPs griping at the breastfeeding wouldn't have an issue were the Mother bottle feeding the baby anyway likely rather than breastfeeding.

As for engaging or getting an answer or asking a relevant question from and to this PM, well I think Baby and his/her feed are more important than listening to him waffle on anyway.
I think in fairness too as to the constituent consultation, that could take a relatively short time to do and the need to feed a Baby unlikely to arise, in the Commons many hours of time can be needed in debates for those in attendance.

That is the point though Joey, if you are concentrating on your baby as you should be while feeding, then you can't actually be doing your job properly.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:58 PM #36
-

-

Breastfeeding should be allowed anywhere that babies are allowed, however...

Quote:
PMs questions is no place for a young baby to begin with
This, pretty much. This shouldn't need to be a debate as, in my opinion, it would be a much simpler solution just to make it a child-free zone entirely other than prearranged tours and visits etc.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:02 PM #37
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Isn't it unworkable in most situations as you are there to work though, a crčche is one thing, bringing a baby into the commons or to a meeting or anywhere is just ludicrous IMO, and what would the cut off point be 6 months, 9 months, 12 ..

That is the point though Joey, if you are concentrating on your baby as you should be while feeding, then you can't actually be doing your job properly.

Well you really only need to talk in the Commons most of the time and only when you are called to do so, which feeding a baby would not prevent you doing.
It is not as if you have to be moving boxes around or running backwards and forwards in the Commons.

If we want more representative MPs, and Mothers are a big part of that,then provision and tolerance needs to be executed to accommodate same.
Mothers doing right for their Babies should not have bigoted MPs dictating what they can and cannot do.
The Mother of a child knows it best, they do not.

Last edited by joeysteele; 11-11-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:15 PM #38

Quote:
This debate isn't about breastfeeding per se it about bring babies to work and breastfeeding on the job so to speak
Well yeah I suppose then, in that case I don't know whether or not it's right for babies to be allowed in work situations like the house of commons. But I think in principle, if someone for whatever reason does have their baby with them (there might be extenuating circumstances I can't think of right now ) then there shouldn't be any problem with the baby being breastfed whilst already there.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:32 PM #39
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
[/B]

Well you really only need to talk in the Commons most of the time and only when you are called to do so, which feeding a baby would not prevent you doing.
It is not as if you have to be moving boxes around or running backwards and forwards in the Commons.

If we want more representative MPs, and Mothers are a big part of that,then provision and tolerance needs to be executed to accommodate same.
Mothers doing right for their Babies should not have bigoted MPs dictating what they can and cannot do.
The Mother of a child knows it best, they do not.

Why can't female MPs make provision to have their child looked after like every other family with working parents?
Old 11-11-2015, 02:32 PM #40
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
Well yeah I suppose then, in that case I don't know whether or not it's right for babies to be allowed in work situations like the house of commons. But I think in principle, if someone for whatever reason does have their baby with them (there might be extenuating circumstances I can't think of right now ) then there shouldn't be any problem with the baby being breastfed whilst already there.
I agree
Old 11-11-2015, 04:25 PM #41
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Why can't female MPs make provision to have their child looked after like every other family with working parents?
As a child I would have hated to have been looked after by anyone other than my Mum or Grandmother, no one outside the family circle at the very least.
An MP can be away from their home areas ages and if they want to bond with their babies should be encouraged to do so and not face any other pre-conditions as to being an MP.
Especially if the Baby is breastfed and happy and content with that.

I commend any Mother who is an MP for not passing her baby off to others and to want to nurture it herself.
I don't see that as in any way a negative at all but a massive positive, as to her.
perhaps some toffee nosed grumpyMPs just don't want to be reminded of what the real world is about and that Mothers actually do feed babies, one of the most loving and natural things there is to do too between a Mother and her child.

Last edited by joeysteele; 11-11-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:45 PM #42
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

It's not a scenario that is ever likely to occur, but seeing as this hypothetical is being mulled over I think my issue is regardless of whether the mother should be doing MP stuff or whatever just the fact that it is not allowed that rankles...
Old 11-11-2015, 05:58 PM #43
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

The Chamber of the House of Commons is not a suitable place for breastfeeding. Neither would a board room with a meeting going on. Anywhere else in the Commons, I don't have a problem. But the Chamber? Seriously?
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:20 PM #44
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
The Chamber of the House of Commons is not a suitable place for breastfeeding. Neither would a board room with a meeting going on. Anywhere else in the Commons, I don't have a problem. But the Chamber? Seriously?
Times change however and to the MPs who are moaning at this I doubt anywhere would be acceptable.
Many MPs have been thrust into being an MP likely never believing they were going to win the seat they stood in, particularly in Scotland.
I asked my Mum about this and how she felt, she said no one would get away with, in this day and age, if she was still able to have children, how, where or when to feed her babies.

That is the best authority on it for me and so I stand by what I say, tell the toffee nosed grumpy so and so's who are moaning, to get a life and get back to sleep then wake up again this time in the 21st century not the 19th.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:23 PM #45
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

It's just a hall with lots of benches... what's the prob?
Old 11-11-2015, 06:25 PM #46
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Times change however and to the MPs who are moaning at this I doubt anywhere would be acceptable.
Many MPs have been thrust into being an MP likely never believing they were going to win the seat they stood in, particularly in Scotland.
I asked my Mum about this and how she felt, she said no one would get away with, in this day and age, if she was still able to have children, how, where or when to feed her babies.

That is the best authority on it for me and so I stand by what I say, tell the toffee nosed grumpy so and so's who are moaning, to get a life and get back to sleep then wake up again this time in the 21st century not the 19th.
So we're assuming that these hypothetical women are taking their babies to work. I can't think of any other business where a woman would a) take a small baby to work b) expect to breast feed during a meeting. And realistically, why would anyone want to take a baby into the Chamber?
Old 11-11-2015, 06:26 PM #47
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:

i take a rather simplistic view on this, I couldn't care less where a woman breast feeds as long as she is comfortable in the place she is doing it. However, if someone is working and deciding on the fate of the nation, I would expect that to get their full attention, and I don't believe that would be the case if she was breast feeding.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:27 PM #48
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Well said, bitontheside.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:30 PM #49
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
i take a rather simplistic view on this, I couldn't care less where a woman breast feeds as long as she is comfortable in the place she is doing it. However, if someone is working and deciding on the fate of the nation, I would expect that to get their full attention, and I don't believe that would be the case if she was breast feeding.
Best wake up some of the old duffers I see snoring on PMQs then and remind them of this fate of the nation stuff...
Old 11-11-2015, 06:31 PM #50
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Best wake up some of the old duffers I see snoring on PMQs then and remind them of this fate of the nation stuff...
don't get me started
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
breast, commons, feeding, house