Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 08:04 AM #7651
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Netherlands:

likely newer stricter measures but no lockdown

just about closing libraries, cinema's theatres and museums for 2 weeks, number of people together allowed on streets from 4 to 2, and negative travel advice for christmas holidays

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

No.1 Fan of Queen Anastasia ''Nastia'' Stan!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2020, 08:05 AM #7652
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
Netherlands:

likely newer stricter measures but no lockdown

just about closing libraries, cinema's theatres and museums for 2 weeks, number of people together allowed on streets from 4 to 2, and negative travel advice for christmas holidays

that's quite a bit of news to slip in there at the end

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 02-11-2020, 08:09 AM #7653
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
[/B]

that's quite a bit of news to slip in there at the end
no, it must be said now since dutch people were still going to germany, shopping over there etc

they were ignoring the germans their rules, and illegally crossing the border

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

No.1 Fan of Queen Anastasia ''Nastia'' Stan!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2020, 08:12 AM #7654
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
no, it must be said now since dutch people were still going to germany, shopping over there etc

they were ignoring the germans their rules, and illegally crossing the border
the naughty Dutch!

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 02-11-2020, 09:39 AM #7655
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
Prince William kept COVID-19 diagnosis quiet because he 'didn't want to worry anyone'...

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/prince-wi...231500845.html
He's only 38 (and a Royal) so chances are they were all tested when Charlieboy got sick with it, and he was either very mild symptoms or totally asymptomatic (as the report says he was still working and on video calls etc.).

"Didn't want to worry anyone" my butt though - the reason celebs who were testing positive were either keeping it hush-hush or claiming to have "mild symptoms" whilst looking perfectly healthy, is that it was widely known that it was hard to get a test back in April, and (wuite understandably) people were pissed off that asymptomatic celebrities and Royals were getting privately tested whenever they wanted when there were few or none available for the general public .

"I didn't want to worry anyone " is better PR than "I didn't have symptoms but got tested anyway "
Old 02-11-2020, 09:44 AM #7656
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
He's only 38 (and a Royal) so chances are they were all tested when Charlieboy got sick with it, and he was either very mild symptoms or totally asymptomatic (as the report says he was still working and on video calls etc.).

"Didn't want to worry anyone" my butt though - the reason celebs who were testing positive were either keeping it hush-hush or claiming to have "mild symptoms" whilst looking perfectly healthy, is that it was widely known that it was hard to get a test back in April, and (wuite understandably) people were pissed off that asymptomatic celebrities and Royals were getting privately tested whenever they wanted when there were few or none available for the general public .

"I didn't want to worry anyone " is better PR than "I didn't have symptoms but got tested anyway "

I agree, no one would be worried given his age, and at any rate why do we need to know now, it's done and dusted

Old 02-11-2020, 09:48 AM #7657
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I agree, no one would be worried given his age, and at any rate why do we need to know now, it's done and dusted
Someone was about to spill the beans for a few bucks i think.

I agree, the whole lot of them will have been tested when everyone else was told to **** off
Old 02-11-2020, 10:18 AM #7658

Covid: Ryanair will not offer refunds for November flights

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54776678
Old 02-11-2020, 10:23 AM #7659
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

BA isn't doing refunds either. You can reschedule the flight or apply for a voucher, but no money
Old 02-11-2020, 10:28 AM #7660

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
BA isn't doing refunds either. You can reschedule the flight or apply for a voucher, but no money
Yes I can understand
as Companies are now on the last cash flow.

To Stop Covid-19 more
it would be better to Halt Travel.
Sadly you can still travel during the new Lockdown.

Last edited by arista; 02-11-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:38 AM #7661
-

-

Quote:
They probably don't have any to give. Voucher for imaginary money is better than nothing but who knows when you'll be able to use it .
Old 02-11-2020, 10:42 AM #7662
-

-

I'm in two minds when it comes to airlines going under tbh. Ont he one hand, obviously, it's jobs lost and not great for the tourist economy.

On the other hand, a significantly reduced number of commercial flights for an ongoing period of time is one of the best things that could ever happen for the planet.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:49 AM #7663
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Yes I can understand
as Companies are now on the last cash flow.

To Stop Covid-19 more
it would be better to Halt Travel.
Sadly you can still travel during the new Lockdown.
only essential travel, no holidays
Old 02-11-2020, 10:52 AM #7664
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
I'm in two minds when it comes to airlines going under tbh. Ont he one hand, obviously, it's jobs lost and not great for the tourist economy.

On the other hand, a significantly reduced number of commercial flights for an ongoing period of time is one of the best things that could ever happen for the planet.
...I read an article just quite recently that said the job losses in the airlines would be similar to those losses of the mining industry in the 80s...although they’ll impact differently obviously...because those ‘killed mining towns’ so whole communities...but I agree with what you say...if those job losses could somehow be filled elsewhere, stripping back air travel in itself, would be so beneficial and so much needed, environmentally...David Attenborough would say YAY, I think...

Last edited by Ammi; 02-11-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:00 AM #7665

One Store that has chosen to not have online orders.

[Primark to miss out on £375m worth
of sales in the crucial Christmas run-up due
to new lockdowns in England and across Europe,
Primark stores in
Ireland, France, Belgium, Wales, Catalonia in Spain
and Slovenia have already temporarily shut down
Stores in England to close from
Thursday until 2nd of December
Closure of 57% of stores will
result in lost sales worth £375m]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ma...lockdowns.html

Last edited by arista; 02-11-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:00 AM #7666
-

-

There's been a lot of recent development in clean jet fuels recently (hydrogen based, pure water vapour emissions) but it still has a bit of development before being totally viable. An "ideal" scenario would be if flights are cut waaay back for a while and then when they do start getting back to "tonnes of planes taking off every few minutes" levels, it's with fleets of updated "clean" aircraft.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:01 AM #7667

Quote:
only essential travel, no holidays
Yes but NZ
only got better control
but halting anyone entering their nation.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:03 AM #7668
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
There's been a lot of recent development in clean jet fuels recently (hydrogen based, pure water vapour emissions) but it still has a bit of development before being totally viable. An "ideal" scenario would be if flights are cut waaay back for a while and then when they do start getting back to "tonnes of planes taking off every few minutes" levels, it's with fleets of updated "clean" aircraft.
the problem is that if the airline industry are on their knees financially, they wont be directing the investment toward further research, so its lose lose basically
Old 02-11-2020, 11:08 AM #7669
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...just relating to jobs or specifically one employment post in Manchester advertised...

One post, 947 applicants: restaurant’s story reveals the depth of UK jobs crisis...

Desperate candidates for a minimum wage role in Manchester face dwindling savings and choosing between paying for food or bills

It was a single job advert for a minimum wage role as a waiter in a Manchester restaurant.

Buoyed by the “eat out to help out” scheme, Peru Perdu, a Peruvian themed eatery in the heart of the city was looking for someone to join its serving staff. Within four days, 320 people had applied. And by the time the ad was taken down, 947 people had submitted applications.

“Normally we would have between 20 and 30 for a role like this,” recruitment consultant Abi Dunn, who posted the ad, told Channel 4’s Dispatches for a programme to be broadcast on Monday night.

“I’m shocked by that, and it’s a real indication of where the sector is at. Definitely we’re recruiting in different times.”

Among those applying was Faye, a dancer on a cruise ship. She has been forced to move back in with her parents and was struggling to find a job that paid even the minimum wage.

“It took me a long time to get a job on the cruise ships. It took me two years of auditioning. I’m quite small for a dancer – 5ft 2in – and I found it really difficult to break through that wall and get my job – which was actually my dream job. It’s what I always wanted to do.”

When asked about how many jobs she’s applied for, she said, “it feels like hundreds. I think it might be hundreds. When I first started applying, I was applying for everything. Even things I was probably under-qualified for because, you know, you do feel so desperate.”

Among the applicants for the job, even those with years of experience in hospitality were finding it hard to get noticed. Jake was most recently a manager in a luxury hotel. “I thought it would be easier with a degree and 10 years of experience, but it has been a struggle,” he said. “I probably only have one-and-a-half month’s rent left in the bank account … That would only take me through November.”

Admin worker Kerry was one of 1,000 people to lose their jobs at luxury car maker Bentley. “My savings are going down. I was able to put money in my savings and in the kids’ account – from there to nothing. I did get a tiny bit of money from universal credit as it is now. I just put it all into the joint account. That was my contribution at the time to paying for the house, because I don’t want to lose this house. I don’t want the kids to not have this any more. I’m not even going to be able to put money away towards Christmas presents this year, and that really upsets me.”

One Peru Perdu applicant who did not make it to interview was 51-year-old John. He and his husband, also John, lost their jobs as ticket inspectors in March.

“The amount of jobs that we have applied for between the two of us since end of March-ish has got to be close to 2,000, if not more. It’s very depressing. We’ve burnt through all our savings. It’s a toss-up between do we get gas and electric or do we get food? And even if I do get food, if we’ve got no gas, I can’t cook it!”

At Peru Perdu, the search for a new member of waiting staff was whittled down from 947 to just two. But before a final decision could be made, Boris Johnson announced that all pubs, bars and restaurants could operate on;y a table service except for takeaway and must close at 10pm.

As a result, the vacancy was withdrawn.

Six weeks after the Peru Perdu job advert went out, Dispatches contacted all those who had applied for the job. Among those who replied, four out of five were still out of work.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:10 AM #7670
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Coronavirus: First Briton known to have contracted COVID-19 dies in 'tragic accident'...

The first British man known to have contracted coronavirus has died following a "tragic accident" at his university in Wales, his mother has said.

Connor Reed, from Llandudno in North Wales, had been working at a school in Wuhan when he contracted the virus last December.

He initially thought it was a cold, before it developed into a serious cough and one morning he woke up struggling to breathe, telling Sky News in March: "That's where it scared me. And I couldn't take a full breath."

Live updates on coronavirus from UK and around world

His mother Hayley said he had never got over the "hardship" of contracting coronavirus after he was forced to spend 20 weeks in lockdown.

Announcing his death last weekend in a Facebook post, she wrote: "Our beautiful son Connor Reed has passed away in a tragic accident at Bangor University at the weekend.

"He will be so greatly missed by his brothers, family and friends.

"He had such a wonderful smile, enthusiasm and love for life. We are blessed to of had you in our lives if only for a very short time. Rest in peace our darling."

She told The Sun: "We will not be able to attend his funeral in the UK due to the coronavirus restrictions, therefore we will make sure we all celebrate his life at his home in Australia."

In a statement, North Wales Police said: "Shortly after 10pm on Sunday 25 October, North Wales Police were requested by the ambulance service to attend at a student's room at a Bangor University halls of residence.

"Regrettably, despite the best efforts of friends and paramedics, a 26-year-old student year male student was pronounced dead at the location.

"Our thoughts are with the victim's family and friends following this tragic death of a young student, and we request that their privacy is respected.

"The death is not being treated as suspicious and the coroner for North West Wales, Mr Dewi Pritchard Jones has been informed."

:: Subscribe to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Describing his COVID-19 symptoms earlier this year while living in the then epicentre of the virus, Mr Reed told Sky News: "I was just feeling really bad. I was coughing a lot and subsequently I lost my voice.

"It scared me because breathing is a necessity of life, like if you have the flu, you really feel like you're going to die, but you're really not.

"But when your lungs get affected, that's where it scared me. And I couldn't take a full breath. And the breaths I did take, it sounded like I was breathing through a bag. It was very crackly, and I could only take half breaths. If I walked to the kitchen, for instance, I'd be breathing really shallow and really fast."

He recovered from his illness and a few weeks later doctors realised he had suffered from the virus which would become known as COVID-19.

He also spoke of the "government sanctioned harsher penalties and a lot harsher quarantine" as the virus spread, but also praised the response: "China is one of the most efficient countries at getting stuff done. In regard to this outbreak, they've got it done. They had to. They had to take the drastic measures, that many other countries wouldn't have taken."

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/coronaviru...081200852.html
Old 02-11-2020, 11:22 AM #7671
-

-

Quote:
Coronavirus: First Briton known to have contracted COVID-19 dies in 'tragic accident'...

The first British man known to have contracted coronavirus has died following a "tragic accident" at his university in Wales, his mother has said.

Connor Reed, from Llandudno in North Wales, had been working at a school in Wuhan when he contracted the virus last December.

He initially thought it was a cold, before it developed into a serious cough and one morning he woke up struggling to breathe, telling Sky News in March: "That's where it scared me. And I couldn't take a full breath."

Live updates on coronavirus from UK and around world

His mother Hayley said he had never got over the "hardship" of contracting coronavirus after he was forced to spend 20 weeks in lockdown.

Announcing his death last weekend in a Facebook post, she wrote: "Our beautiful son Connor Reed has passed away in a tragic accident at Bangor University at the weekend.

"He will be so greatly missed by his brothers, family and friends.

"He had such a wonderful smile, enthusiasm and love for life. We are blessed to of had you in our lives if only for a very short time. Rest in peace our darling."

She told The Sun: "We will not be able to attend his funeral in the UK due to the coronavirus restrictions, therefore we will make sure we all celebrate his life at his home in Australia."

In a statement, North Wales Police said: "Shortly after 10pm on Sunday 25 October, North Wales Police were requested by the ambulance service to attend at a student's room at a Bangor University halls of residence.

"Regrettably, despite the best efforts of friends and paramedics, a 26-year-old student year male student was pronounced dead at the location.

"Our thoughts are with the victim's family and friends following this tragic death of a young student, and we request that their privacy is respected.

"The death is not being treated as suspicious and the coroner for North West Wales, Mr Dewi Pritchard Jones has been informed."

:: Subscribe to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Describing his COVID-19 symptoms earlier this year while living in the then epicentre of the virus, Mr Reed told Sky News: "I was just feeling really bad. I was coughing a lot and subsequently I lost my voice.

"It scared me because breathing is a necessity of life, like if you have the flu, you really feel like you're going to die, but you're really not.

"But when your lungs get affected, that's where it scared me. And I couldn't take a full breath. And the breaths I did take, it sounded like I was breathing through a bag. It was very crackly, and I could only take half breaths. If I walked to the kitchen, for instance, I'd be breathing really shallow and really fast."

He recovered from his illness and a few weeks later doctors realised he had suffered from the virus which would become known as COVID-19.

He also spoke of the "government sanctioned harsher penalties and a lot harsher quarantine" as the virus spread, but also praised the response: "China is one of the most efficient countries at getting stuff done. In regard to this outbreak, they've got it done. They had to. They had to take the drastic measures, that many other countries wouldn't have taken."

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/coronaviru...081200852.html
Reading between the lines, sounds like an overdose to me. Very sad if his mental health was significantly affected, could easily be a contributing factor.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:24 AM #7672
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Reading between the lines, sounds like an overdose to me. Very sad if his mental health was significantly affected, could easily be a contributing factor.
...I’m not sure, it says ’accident’...but yeah, low mental health atm is just so destructive in itself...
Old 02-11-2020, 11:53 AM #7673

Old 02-11-2020, 12:20 PM #7674
-

-

Quote:
...I’m not sure, it says ’accident’...but yeah, low mental health atm is just so destructive in itself...
Well an unintentional overdose would be an accidental death, so I'm wondering if it's a more sensitive way of saying that. A girl I went to school with tragically died in her sleep when she was in her early 20's of alcohol poisoning and it was ruled "accidental death", so that wouldn't be unusual. He may have had no intention of harming himself, but low mental health can also lead to recklessness sadly.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:36 PM #7675

Not enough Conservative MP's to stop the Lockdown vote Weds.

As all of Labour are with the Prime minister
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
5pm, coronavirus, downing, minister, outbreak, prime, st, statement, today