Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB21 Celebrity Big Brother January 2018 [CBB 21] (dubbed Year of the Women). Discuss the housemates and series - which was won by Courtney Act - here.

Old 31-01-2018, 03:11 PM #101
Banned

Favourites (more):
CBB21: India Willoughby
CBBUSA: Omarosa Manigault
Banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
No, it really isn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_s...United_Kingdom

Perhaps you should try to understand what hate speech and preaching hatred before you post and 'walk yourself right into it.'

It's an incredible reach and very silly to make out that Shane is doing anything but utilising his own right to freedom of speech, Ann and anyone else is free to do the same. I know you dislike freedom of speech when it doesn't benefit you but please try to understand what preaching hatred and hate speech is before you try to use it in an argument.
He is getting people to hate Ann. Therefore he is preaching hated and as such is a violation of free speech. He probably wouldn’t be convicted as such because he’s essentially loop holed the system but he knows exactly what he’s doing
Marches is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 03:12 PM #102
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula D View Post
Where did I say hate speech?? Changing the wording now? I said preaching hatred. Don't even try pulling out your Wikipedia definitions.

Again, if anyone can answer the question what exactly is Shane J's motive in telling everyone in the house Ann's life history then maybe I'll believe it's not trying to turn them against her. He wants people to hate her. That's preaching hatred.
Hate speech and preaching hate is a similar thing, they both come under hate speech laws.

I love the last line of your first point 'don't even TRY to use facts against me, Sonny Jim!'

It doesn't matter what his motive is any more than it matters what motivates Ann to hate dislike Megan Markle, it's their opinion, you can question it and have an opinion on it but you are trying to make out that if anyone can't see into his mind and explain his actions then your opinion of the situation is fact and that's wrong. You can't say it's a fact that he is preaching hatred any more than someone can say it's a fact that she's a racist.

Well except for the fact that what Shane is doing is not preaching hated. You can try to make out that it is all you like but the facts are against you.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 03:13 PM #103
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Like the OP of this thread??
But this thread actually has something to talk about. If this thread had simply been 'ann is scum' and nothing else to it, then it would likely be closed as theres no conversation to be had there.

Its a quite difficult balancing act moderating this forum. We don;t want to shut down peoples opinions but at the same time we want proper discussions, not just threads full of one word posts and insults.

Also this thread was made as I closed the other one that was talking about this. When I closed it I did specifically say that if anyone wants to discuss it further then remake a thread about it.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 03:13 PM #104
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marches View Post
He is getting people to hate Ann. Therefore he is preaching hated and as such is a violation of free speech. He probably wouldn’t be convicted as such because he’s essentially loop holed the system but he knows exactly what he’s doing
I don't think bitching about another HM on BB constitutes as Hate Speech, if it did, almost every HM ever would be locked up by now

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 03:14 PM #105

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB18: Isabelle

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Hate speech and preaching hate is a similar thing, they both come under hate speech laws.

I love the last line of your first point 'don't even TRY to use facts against me, Sonny Jim!'

It doesn't matter what his motive is any more than it matters what motivates Ann to hate dislike Megan Markle, it's their opinion, you can question it and have an opinion on it but you are trying to make out that if anyone can't see into his mind and explain his actions then your opinion of the situation is fact and that's wrong. You can't say it's a fact that he is preaching hatred any more than someone can say it's a fact that she's a racist.

Well except for the fact that what Shane is doing is not preaching hated. You can try to make out that it is all you like but the facts are against you.
Oh do carry on, so your opinion is fact now but mine isn't?

Fine, whatever, don't have any time for this crap.
Paula D is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 03:15 PM #106
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Your views of what constitutes preaching hatred is as wonky as your definition of what freedom of speech is. You can keep twisting things but it doesn't make anything you say factual. Ann's freedom of speech is unimpeded in that house, fact, Shane is not preaching hate by any definition or law in any country in the world, that's not a loophole, that's a fact.

These are your opinions, you are more than entitled to them but the facts of the matter are against you.
Old 31-01-2018, 03:16 PM #107
Banned

Banned

Quote:

I've never said my opinion is fact, I've simply stated my opinion and used the facts of hate speech and preaching to qualify what I'm saying. It's called making a solid argument.
Old 31-01-2018, 03:17 PM #108
Banned

Banned

Quote:

I've never said my opinion is fact, I've simply stated my opinion and used the facts of hate speech and preaching to qualify what I'm saying. It's called making a solid argument based on facts.
Old 31-01-2018, 03:17 PM #109
Banned

Favourites (more):
Banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I don't think bitching about another HM on BB constitutes as Hate Speech, if it did, almost every HM ever would be locked up by now
Ofc they wouldn’t be convicted like I said but he’s installing hate on another housemate to both housemates and the public. It probably doesn’t fall under any laws but if the public and housemates are manipulated into disregarding someone’s words off of the basis of one persons opinion that doesn’t seem healthy for free speech now does it
Old 31-01-2018, 03:20 PM #110
0_o

0_o

Sorry I have to agree that Shane was trying to manipulate the house into shutting Ann down, and she had not even done anything..he did this randomly. He then realized it would not work so stopped that rubbish. Am sure he thought he could get Wayne to attack easily...which was clearly what he was doing,. Might aswell have just came out and said 'go shout at Ann for opinions she has outside of the house that she has not brought up in here but I have suddenly decided its important but will not say anything to her myself'
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 31-01-2018, 03:21 PM #111

I really don't think it is a serious as preaching hate. Shane seemed to want to get Wayne to confront Ann but that could be the way it was edited. I don't think he would have said much to Amanda that night as he had tried in the past and she was having none of it. In my opinion, I think Shane was trying to let them know about Ann's more controversial views so they didn't think she is just a nice little old lady in his view. Wayne didn't seem to know about her voting history, but as it happens now he does its not changed muchas far as Wayne is concerned. Plus the night before, Wayne was ranting about Ann in the kitchen so I think Shane may have thought Wayne may have been a more captive audience and interested in what he knows about her.
Old 31-01-2018, 03:22 PM #112
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Ofc they wouldn’t be convicted like I said but he’s installing hate on another housemate to both housemates and the public. It probably doesn’t fall under any laws but if the public and housemates are manipulated into disregarding someone’s words off of the basis of one persons opinion that doesn’t seem healthy for free speech now does it
It's not considered "hate Speech" though in the legal sense of the word so of course it falls into free speech, Shane was free to tell Wayne he thinks he should be challenging Anns anti-gay rights views as a gay man and Wayne was free to tell him no he has no issue with her

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 31-01-2018, 03:23 PM #113
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Sorry I have to agree that Shane was trying to manipulate the house into shutting Ann down, and she had not even done anything..he did this randomly. He then realized it would not work so stopped that rubbish. Am sure he thought he could get Wayne to attack easily...which was clearly what he was doing,. Might aswell have just came out and said 'go shout at Ann for opinions she has outside of the house that she has not brought up in here but I have suddenly decided its important but will not say anything to her myself'
I do agree with that, all I was disagreeing with was that it's not a hate crime or hate speech in the legal sense of the word

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 31-01-2018, 03:24 PM #114

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It's not considered "hate Speech" though in the legal sense of the word so of course it falls into free speech, Shane was free to tell Wayne he thinks he should be challenging Anns anti-gay rights views as a gay man and Wayne was free to tell him no he has no issue with her
We're not talking about the legal definition Niamh.

I disagree with you, no-one should be encouraging one person to attack another.
Old 31-01-2018, 03:28 PM #115
Banned

Favourites (more):
Banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Maybe I articulated myself poorly but I wasn’t trying to argue it was illegal hate speech. What Shane jenek was doing was wrong and gross manipulation
Old 31-01-2018, 03:28 PM #116
0_o

0_o

Quote:
I do agree with that, all I was disagreeing with was that it's not a hate crime or hate speech in the legal sense of the word
Oh no, its not hate speech
Quote:
Quote:
Old 31-01-2018, 03:29 PM #117
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Yeah, my words were taken a little too literally there. There had been a post made where the member called Malika fans scum. I said that insulting fans was not allowed but insulting housemates was (within reason). Of course its fine to criticize housemates BUT, just random posts of 'X is a bitch' or something add nothing at all to the forum. So insults are fine within reason, but preferable when part of a larger post. if that makes sense.
I don't envy you and others on the staff. Moderating a lively forum is a tough gig. I moderated a forum and a chatroom in my time and it is a bitch of a job.
Stay strong and carry on
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 03:34 PM #118
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

A mess at people attempting to defend this disgusting practice
Greg! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 03:35 PM #119
Banned

Favourites (more):
Banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg! View Post
Has Ann’s support of conversion therapy even been mentioned in the house? It doesn’t work and causes psychological harm ofc I don’t agree with it I was just personally tired of seeing people defending Shane js bullying then seeing headlines saying he’s getting bullied
Old 31-01-2018, 03:36 PM #120

Quote:
Don't think anyone in here has tried to defend it. I don't know how anyone could
Old 31-01-2018, 03:37 PM #121

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Who's doing that? Please show us an example?
Old 31-01-2018, 03:38 PM #122
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Who's doing that? Please show us an example?
Read the thread yourself?
Old 31-01-2018, 03:39 PM #123

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Read the thread yourself?
I have done, no-one defending the use of conversion therapy at all.
Old 31-01-2018, 03:42 PM #124
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

Try again
Old 31-01-2018, 03:43 PM #125
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

Here are 2 examples of people defending or justifying it that Paula D must have missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
Can people read ? instead of just being happy to believe people who dont like her, this story is not so black and white, she wanted to help gays who didn't WANT to be gay,so maybe go and read up ,people at one time thought it would cure them the gay person WANTED the therepy. loving these new words converstion therapy oh how people are grasping at it,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
She believes that people are entitled to get help if they have problems and that should also be afforded to gay people as well, at the time someone who was struggling with been gay or didnt want to be gay was not been given any help. When she worked at Samaritans they did not promote 'it is ok to be gay' to someone who hated or didnt want to be gay. That is why she agreed if gay people were struggling then they should have therapy like everybody else.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ann, conversion, supporting, therapy