Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 23-01-2024, 03:19 AM #101
MVGGA

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

MVGGA

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
It’s all so grim.

Everyone’s on some sort of spectrum in the grand scheme of basically every personality type out there being connected to some pathology at the more extreme end (physical and mental, like there’s a connection between bipolar disorder and diabetes for example now) but that doesn’t mean that being a bit inattentive sometimes for any number of reasons is ADHD or every social quirk under the sun is autism. Some people even wanna label Andrew Treneman (Waterloo Road) as autistic now. And now “neurospicy” is a buzz-word that so many people who have come out of the woodworks to say they’re autistic now cling onto for dear life, like it’s some sort of new Nandos peri-peri flavour or a new type of jollof rice. It’s gone way, way too far.
Some people on the Internet just want attention so badly that they don't care how they get it unfortunately.
Old 23-01-2024, 03:24 AM #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Some people on the Internet just want attention so badly that they don't care how they get it unfortunately.
Yup, sadly. And the thing is with these labels is that the more you internalise them the more you start to become your self-diagnosis. Unless you’re willing to take medication to weed out the more undesirable parts of whatever neurodivergency it is you think you might have more inner traits of than average (and there is medication out there for all of it), what’s the point in making yourself more and more neurodivergent and then suddenly expecting people to accommodate for you completely differently than they have for the past 25/50 years of your life? Especially when you don’t even have an official diagnosis.

So I really don’t get this obsession people have these days with wanting to be and identify as neurodivergent. It’s almost as bad as this trend from 2018-ish of people identifying as non-binary. I’m all for LGBTQ+ inclusivity but unless you’re intersex or transitioning you’re either a straight-up male or female, period. Never mind all this nonsense of pronouns. People in themselves are phenomenally diverse and complex but the binary division of biological sex has only few genuine exceptions. You’re not “non-binary” just because you wanna be.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude, don’t go hanging on to negativity and don’t go underselling yourself. That is all.

Last edited by Redway; 23-01-2024 at 03:28 AM.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 02:31 PM #103

Stories like this

Right I’m no expert on these matters but if someone murders three random, innocent people and also admits to trying to murder three others …. then I do not want to hear any reasons or excuses .

I would have been ok for them to put him to sleep the same day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 04:11 PM #104
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

if he gets locked up in a secure unit at a mental hospital, it gets him off the streets

Last edited by bitontheslide; 23-01-2024 at 04:12 PM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 04:29 PM #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
if he gets locked up in a secure unit at a mental hospital, it gets him off the streets

Until he appeals … numerous times … at great expense to us taxpayers and maybe gets let out

.. and yes it does happen .

Old 24-01-2024, 01:30 AM #106
MVGGA

Favourites (more):

MVGGA

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yup, sadly. And the thing is with these labels is that the more you internalise them the more you start to become your self-diagnosis. Unless you’re willing to take medication to weed out the more undesirable parts of whatever neurodivergency it is you think you might have more inner traits of than average (and there is medication out there for all of it), what’s the point in making yourself more and more neurodivergent and then suddenly expecting people to accommodate for you completely differently than they have for the past 25/50 years of your life? Especially when you don’t even have an official diagnosis.

So I really don’t get this obsession people have these days with wanting to be and identify as neurodivergent. It’s almost as bad as this trend from 2018-ish of people identifying as non-binary. I’m all for LGBTQ+ inclusivity but unless you’re intersex or transitioning you’re either a straight-up male or female, period. Never mind all this nonsense of pronouns. People in themselves are phenomenally diverse and complex but the binary division of biological sex has only few genuine exceptions. You’re not “non-binary” just because you wanna be.
I personally agree with you 100%
Old 24-01-2024, 06:21 AM #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Stories like this

Right I’m no expert on these matters but if someone murders three random, innocent people and also admits to trying to murder three others …. then I do not want to hear any reasons or excuses .

I would have been ok for them to put him to sleep the same day

Sadly another example of 'Lefty' lawyers thinking more of the killer than the victims and justice.
Gusto Brunt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 09:43 AM #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto Brunt View Post
Sadly another example of 'Lefty' lawyers thinking more of the killer than the victims and justice.

Yes and it breaks my heart..

Old 24-01-2024, 10:05 AM #109

Alarms.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude, don’t go hanging on to negativity and don’t go underselling yourself. That is all.
Old 24-01-2024, 10:24 AM #110

Judgemental assumption-questions that force you to get more personal than you’d like to with people you barely know.

Old 25-01-2024, 08:38 AM #111

I feel like I’ve said this before (and no doubt I’ve said loads about this topic elsewhere) but people conflating mild depression and anxiety with the full spectrum of depression. There’s feeling low and there’s hearing voices telling you to kill yourself, thinking you’ve become Lucifer, being unable to move or eat and needing electroconvulsive therapy. The only type of depression that’s mild is mild depression, and the next step from even that untreated is suicide, so it’s still serious. But severe depression is something completely different and I think about of people are ignorant as to how deep it can go. Someone who can only feed via catherisation in hospital and is in a world of nihilistic delusion and voices urging them to jump off the nearest skyscraper can’t just snap out of it or pull themselves together and if people who say crap like that were to visit psychiatric wards and squalid homes of people in that condition and see what serious depression really looks like wouldn’t say that. But we live in a world where mild depression and unnecessary Prozac dependence is the face of what lay people think of when they think of depression. But the truth is it’s on a massive spectrum of severity and untreated there kind of is a point of no return.

If you’ve been through truly severe depression and you’re still here, you’ve got more inner strength than most people will ever know. Just hold onto that and know it. There’s no trivialising the seriousness of going through something like that and not having your life end by some way or other. People can bang on about the apparent horrors of schizophrenia but if you don’t understand depression, you don’t understand mental illness. Period. It is not what the average person thinks. The average person thinks of mild depression and has no idea how fundamentally psychotic it can be in the deeper stages (amongst every-in else). And God knows I can’t stand ignorance when it comes to mental health, especially when it comes from people who are supposed to know better. You don’t have to be personally affected on either side but you do owe it to people at large to try and understand and leave narrow conceptions at the door.

For that reason I’ll never get behind the whole “hey, anyone can get depressed and a bit anxious sometimes x” /“you can do big-man-ting at the gym and still be depressed and struggling with you feelings, bro-dem xx” campaign. Not that it isn’t true but knowing how much more serious it can be I like to just fluff out the run-of-the-mill yada-yada that’s obviously designed to get people with very mild depression to open up, which is fair game as far as it does but as I’m saying it don’t really run that far or educate people about the complexity and heaviness of real clinical depression and all its shades. That’s the problem. You can say you felt a bit low and rubbish because you didn’t have enough money to enjoy yourself on the weekend but you can’t say you had a psychotic, catatonic episode where you were seeing the devil and trying to muster up the energy to hang yourself on the nearest coat peg to spare your kids a life of misery. You don’t believe in depression? Visit an ECT ward.

Last edited by Redway; 25-01-2024 at 09:21 AM.
Old 25-01-2024, 08:05 PM #112

People thinking “moving-in-silence” seasons means someone’s automatically going through a tough time in their life. Being a bit quiet about where exactly you’re at and how things are going with you beyond being okay isn’t inherently a negative. There’s a season to celebrate openly with everyone, sure, but there’s also a season where you might want take more of a conscious step back for a minute and manoeuvre your zone quietly, but it can be positive. The radar-top can wait. A bit more quietness than usual about your plans and what you’re doing in life doesn’t automatically mean the person’s going through bad times or worried about a lot. Sometimes people do that and people speculate the worst and thing something’s seriously wrong but a lot of those concerns are very over-exaggerated or just totally unnecessary. Moving in silence for a lot of people is literally just that, and it’s not like it’s bound to be forever. You might want to keep quiet about your new job until you’ve been there for a while or are a bit closer to being in the career/job you really want to be in or you might not be ready to have kids if you’re married until the time feels right, and that’s between you and your spouse, not the whole world. That’s okay. People with loose tongues are gonna gossip anyway so you might as well get comfortable and set boundaries while you’re at it. Your personal/professional/relationship business is your business.

You’re not on a path to permanent childlessness (if having kids would be your ball), a career you’re not best-happy with but you might be sort of stuck with for now (even if it’s a good job) or a mental breakdown by keeping silent about certain things until the time seems right. You don’t have to update your LinkedIn profile 99 times a day and judge people who didn’t go to certain Russell-Group unis (as if Loughborough isn’t better than Southampton main) for people to know that you’re earning money. So long as you and the people closest to you know, it doesn’t matter what other people think. They might be biting their words in two years, when your present vision’s clearer to them (not that you even owe them that much). If it makes perfect sense to them in the meantime, it does. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t. There’s not your problem. The only person you’ve got to fully answer to is yourself.

Last edited by Redway; 26-01-2024 at 05:27 AM.
Old 28-01-2024, 12:30 PM #113

The MAOI cheese-hypertension thing that makes doctors hesitant to prescribe them. Phenelzine, selegeline (albeit that one’s more for, like, Parkinson’s annd narcolepsy) and tranyclypromine can be life-saving drugs that should be prescribed more. Docs (especially the young ones with little experience and who don’t know anything but what their specific, narrow training, which might have erroneous information, tells them) need to get their ish together and their knowledge up-to-date. You don’t need to be a Ken Gillman buff-dem ting but it does pay to actually know what you’re talking about and challenge misconceptions. Get to know the proper, hardcore antidepressants while you’re fobbing people off with sertraline and citalopram as well. SSRIs are not real antidepressants, not really. Or very-barely.

Young doctors and pharmacists who are trained in a very narrowly specific way are just taught to believe that MAOIs are bad and dangerous without actually seeing them being used properly and with not even a third as many tyramine diet restrictions as people think. In reality you are okay with vintage Manny aged ale and mac and cheese. If you get high blood pressure at any point, just take a propranolol (or some CBD, even) and lie yourself down for an hour. You not gonna die from cheesy chips, egusi, ogiri, soy sauce or a Big Mac while you’re on phenelzine. Not one of those things.

Last edited by Redway; 28-01-2024 at 12:52 PM.
Old 28-01-2024, 06:13 PM #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
I personally agree with you 100%
It’s gotten so bad that people are speaking of “autistic comfort foods” and listing pizza, butter, potatoes, quesadillas, bacon muffins, penne pasta, granola bars and carrots. Just run-of-the-mill food that more people than not (okay, maybe not the bacon muffins) like to eat, at least a little bit. Very soon comfort-eating will be considered a sign of autism too, and there’ll be no neurotypical people left in the world in ten years’ time, the way things are going.

I mean, ugh. The sooner this neurodivergency craze ends the better. It’s good for increased awareness of stuff to run in certain lines but in reality no-one cares if you identify as an autistic non-binary they/other person who only dates trans people and likes the texture of muffins so much that that’s your breakfast. No-one is even arsed so do that in your corner. But when people are just listing normal foods as autistic comforts you know the ting’s going too, too far. It makes me so angry.

Last edited by Redway; 28-01-2024 at 06:19 PM.
Old 28-01-2024, 11:11 PM #115

People thinking your generosity borders on creepy. Some people are as nice as they are because they’re nice. Just because you’d have to have some ulterior motive or something in it for you to ally for your buddy when it might embarrass you (say everyone else is ganging up on or involved in a smear-gaslight against them) or bung them 100 quid if you had it spare and they needed it doesn’t mean everyone’s like that. Everyone has their moments and a dark side but some people are also capable of more genuine good-heartedness than others. Heck, some people are a perfect mix of light and dark and depending on who you are you might get either side and not know which one you’re getting if you have ambivalent feelings about how much they actually like you but people like that are there for the people they’re there for, and you might never find someone like that again for as long as you live. So don’t take people’s kindness for granted, even if they’re horrible to or about people they hate. They’re there for you and so long as no moral boundaries are crossed for no reason either way, that’s all that matters. No strings attached but at least show some appreciation. The jollof rice on the other side might never be as sweet (except your mum’s best that she makes once a year), nor might the extent of support and favours that one person did for you compare to what you got before. And you’ll realise that one day if you take people for granted and don’t respect them. Maybe not today or next year but you will realise it and have regrets. What you had might be gone forever and ever. And you might only have yourself to blame. Especially if you were siding more with shady people at the time because they had a bit more visible cred but ended up doing you dirty behind your back.

Disrespecting your mum when she’s only been good to you (I don’t mean just normal arguments) is also a major red flag. You might think you smart and you might be but she’s had experience you haven’t. If you genuinely have super-toxic parents, that’s different and you do need to let your feelings be known regardless but you don’t swear at your mum to get you the latest PlayStation.

Last edited by Redway; 28-01-2024 at 11:32 PM.
Old 29-01-2024, 02:35 AM #116

Haha. Going back to radio adverts that are annoying. There's a couple on the radio lately telling people to do the blatantly obvious.

One, a woman with a silly regional accent tells listeners to save money, turn the heating down or off in a room you're not using. I mean, that is so dumb. It's so obvious. Like saying turn off the water tap if you're not using it.

Which numbskull commissioned these adverts???
Gusto Brunt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 03:51 AM #117

The fact that there’s still a certain expectation to iron here-and-there. good with my domestic hands in general but ironing is not something I enjoy or look forward to. I only do it when I have to.

You need a domestic hand, I’ll cook a decent pot of something for you, do your laundry or clean with my essential-oil/borax/white vinegar/bleach concoctions and take out the bins and recycling. But I will not iron for you. I barely do it for myself. So if that’s what you need, get yourself another OTR manservant. I ain’t the guy to be straightening your keks. Just take it straight out of the dryer.

Last edited by Redway; 29-01-2024 at 03:57 AM.
Old 29-01-2024, 04:53 AM #118
MVGGA

Favourites (more):

MVGGA

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It’s gotten so bad that people are speaking of “autistic comfort foods” and listing pizza, butter, potatoes, quesadillas, bacon muffins, penne pasta, granola bars and carrots. Just run-of-the-mill food that more people than not (okay, maybe not the bacon muffins) like to eat, at least a little bit. Very soon comfort-eating will be considered a sign of autism too, and there’ll be no neurotypical people left in the world in ten years’ time, the way things are going.

I mean, ugh. The sooner this neurodivergency craze ends the better. It’s good for increased awareness of stuff to run in certain lines but in reality no-one cares if you identify as an autistic non-binary they/other person who only dates trans people and likes the texture of muffins so much that that’s your breakfast. No-one is even arsed so do that in your corner. But when people are just listing normal foods as autistic comforts you know the ting’s going too, too far. It makes me so angry.
I think it's largely because people are being taught that being an individual is wrong, the only way to be special is to be "apart of a group" so a lot of people are getting desperate to be in any group that they can find, even if it hurts the individuals that are genuinely apart of said group.

To change the topic.

The thing that is annoying me at the moment is Japanese fiction getting really obsessed with Paedophilia.

I was reading a Yuri Hentai Manga a couple of nights ago (Lesbian Porn Comic basically) and I was reading a story where a Nurse was having sex with a High Schooler (I presumed that she was 18) but silly me, the Manga threw in dialogue where the Nurse goes "I wouldn't be touching a minor if I wasn't serious" or something along those lines, and it killed it stone dead for me, and it was a shame as I was 100% in it for the Nurse, but I just can't get around Paedophilia being literally celebrated in the dialogue.

I mean I can handle 99.99% of content in Hentai, but just don't throw Paedophilia out at me, but for some reason Anime, Manga and Hentai do seem to love that circuit a little too much for my taste.

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 29-01-2024 at 05:00 AM.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 07:49 AM #119

Soaps’ current obsession with cancer. First Lola, now Alfie (EastEnders) and Chas (Emmerdale). Not to mention Paul’s terminal MND on Corrie. It’s just too much in one go and it’s triggering for people who it hits a bit closer to home to.

Old 29-01-2024, 09:24 AM #120

When people lump black and mixed-race people together. With more than 70% Afro/Afro-Caribbean admixture I understand but at 50/50 or less black is black and mixed-race is very-much mixed-race and in its own distinct little category. Everyone has the right to affiliate with what they identify with more, I guess, but doing it automatically with people who you know are half-and-half (sometimes even less than that) harkens back to the one-drop rule (horribly racist). Hate it when people do that.

Old 29-01-2024, 10:27 AM #121

Quote:
Soaps’ current obsession with cancer. First Lola, now Alfie (EastEnders) and Chas (Emmerdale). Not to mention Paul’s terminal MND on Corrie. It’s just too much in one go and it’s triggering for people who it hits a bit closer to home to.

Agreed .. I don’t like these endless tv and radio adverts that begin with “ 1 out every 2 people will get some form of cancer.. “

They just bring me down

Old 30-01-2024, 03:51 AM #122

Ed’s crying scene on Corrie last night looking like some tragic cataplectic black-out fit. ROFLMAO.

Old 30-01-2024, 03:59 AM #123

“That CraIg Tinker is a clown.”

Yes, Dee-Dee. One of the worst characters going in the history of soap. Periodt.

Last edited by Redway; 15-03-2024 at 11:21 PM.
Old 30-01-2024, 01:01 PM #124

Default The “‘What drives you crazy “ thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto Brunt View Post

There’s just been a press conference and the guy said that they HAD to accept the reduced plea and judgment of hospitalisation as the alternative was the prosecution case failing and ending up with nothing !?!

How can a monster murder three innocent people and try to murder a further three .. and get off Scott-Free
?

Last edited by Zizu; 30-01-2024 at 01:02 PM.
Old 31-01-2024, 05:01 AM #125
MVGGA

Favourites (more):

MVGGA

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
There’s just been a press conference and the guy said that they HAD to accept the reduced plea and judgment of hospitalisation as the alternative was the prosecution case failing and ending up with nothing !?!

How can a monster murder three innocent people and try to murder a further three .. and get off Scott-Free
?

That's absolutely bonkers.

I can believe it though because our justice system cares more about Fraudsters and Drug Dealers than they do about violent crimes.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
crazy, drives, thread, ‘what