Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 25-01-2009, 07:39 PM #126
retro physical

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Lloyd Daniels

retro physical

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Lloyd Daniels

Mercy On Me is amaaaazing ^
I think the album's not really for pop lovers, seeing as it's not a pop album?
xDramatick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 07:42 PM #127
Team Flack

Team Flack

Back to Basics Welcome is one of my all time fav songs! And I argee with Darenn,Mercy on Me is amazinggg,as is Makes Me Wanna Pray!
Princess is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 08:14 PM #128
more more more

Favourites (more):
BB16: Jade
BB15: Ashleigh

more more more

Favourites (more):

It's not the fact it's not a pop album, I love albums of various genres. It's just Back to Basics on some parts, failed to amaze me.
M X is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 08:35 PM #129
Jen

Jen

The Killers: Day & Age

Track 1: Losing Touch I do think this is a great opening track, when describing this song I imagine the opening of a Killers concert, used to excite the audience. Overall a good song to Robot Dance to. Obv. 6/10
Track 2: Human Even though this song has been played to death on every radio station imaginable... it is undoubtedly a great song. 7/10
Track 3: Spaceman Awesome second single. in the "Uh Uh Oh" bits I know they will make many a person jump up and down in a festival manner. Great Lyrics, maybe a few unsteady vocals but that is what makes this record so special. 9/10
Track 4: Joy Ride Not one of my favourites on the album. Brilliant song to have as background noise, I'm not particularly feeling it. They lyrics are excellent and the chorus saves the record completely. 4/10
Track 5: A Dustland Fairytale My favourite song off this album, it is so beautiful. It also has a very special meaning to Brandon Flowers himself. The song is about how his Mother and Father met and eventually fell in love, then as the years pass by his Mother gets cancer and its basically about how she is fighting it even though they all know she will die soon. Just an incredible song. 10/10
Track 6: This Is Your Life My second favourite song from the album, a great song, beautiful lyrics and perfect vocals. Nothing more to ask for. 9/10
Track 7: I can't Stay I love to dance to this song. It is so upbeat and heartfelt at the same time... I adore it. 9.5/10
Track 8: Neon Tiger This song has been hyped so much. Many love it... many hate it. I love it. Its great, clever lyrics and a different tune. Brilliant. 9/10
Track 9: The World We Live In The first time I heard this song was a couple of weeks before the album was released, it was on You Tube and it interested me.. the title alone. I was drawn to it when I first listened. It reminds me of a song that NEEDS to be featured in Gossip Girl. I know.. random...but it needs to be featured in that show.. LOL 8/10
Track 10: Goodnight, Travel Well I love this song. It is just so clever. Very slow but so well done. It reminds me so much of "Everything Will Be Alright" from The Killers' debut album, "Hot Fuss". 7/10

Bonus Tracks

Track 10: A Crippling Blow As I feel I am repeating myself... I shall just say... listen to this song. It is brilliant.... and very blunt. 8/10
Track 11: Forget About What I Said A good song, well for a bonus track. I enjoy listening to it. I recommend it to anyone who needs a study song. 7/10
Jen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 09:19 PM #130
Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:
BB14 USA: Britney

Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:
BB14 USA: Britney

Paramore - Riot!

1. For a Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic A great song to start off the album, I love the chorus and the guitar intro. Hayley's vocals are great in this. [8/10]

2. That's What You Get I love the whole feel of this song, the sound of the guitars in the background is immense. The chorus itself isn't very strong but it's a nice track. [7/10]

3. Hallelujah Great intro to the song with the guitars. Not a personal favourite of mine though. It's a bit bland. [6/10]

4. Misery Business One of my favourite songs of all time, it's just incredible. The guitars at the beginning create a great atmosphere to a fantastic song. The chorus is stunning, Hayley sings it with such passion. I love the end of the last verse where you can just hear the guitars, it gives me chills. [10/10]

5. When It Rains A nice song, a lot calmer paced than Misery Business. It shows off Hayley's immense vocals. [6.5/10]

6. Let the Flames Begin Great song, it has a nice beat to it. The chorus is really powerful, it starts quite calmy and then goes into a fierce tone in the chorus. [7.5/10]

7. Miracle I like this song, however has to be said the chorus is quite weak. Not a stand out track but it's not bad either. [6.5/10]

8. Crushcrushcrush Love this song. I love the chorus especially, the sound of the guitars in the song sounds brilliant as well. I like how the whole song follows a pattern, it works well. [9/10]

9. We Are Broken A very slow paced song, but I really like it. The lyrics were very well written. [7.5/10]

10. Fences Love this song, I love the beat to the song and the rhythm. The chorus is great, one of my favourite songs from the album. [9/10]

11. Born for This This song is just immense. I love the start, it sounds so good. The chorus is really good too, and the vocals are great. [8/10]

Overall, I think it's a great album. Although some songs are better than others, I could listen to the whole thing without skipping any. One of my favourite albums ever, I wish I could have seen them perform it live. Obviously a lot of hard work went into the album and it reflects on the music.

5 out of 5
Callum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 07:15 PM #131
more more more

Favourites (more):

more more more

Favourites (more):

La Toya Jackson - La Toya Jackson
Year of Release - 1980

1. If You Feel The Funk [8.9/10] A really good 70's-inspired disco/funk/soul song which really reminds me of a 1978 party (afro, anybody?)

2. Save Your Love [6/10] A good song, a little bit average but on the whole, good.

3. My Love Has Passed You By [7.8/10] A really nice song. La Toya has really good vocals on this track.

4. Are You Ready? [9.1/10] Very D.I.S.C.O!

5. Night Time Lover [8/10] I like this song.. very good dance/soul song which I love!

6. A Taste Of You [7.8/10] I like! La Toya has the voice of the La Toya we have always known!

7. Lovley Is She [6.7/10] A great groove song.

8. If I Ain't Got It [8.9/10] What a fantastic way to finish this record!

--Overall--

Being LaToya Jackson's incredibly underrated debut album (which only managed to peak at #178 in the UK and #116 in the US) is just that, SO underrated! Throughout the whole disc LaToya shines and shows that she is just as talented as Michael & Janet.

****/*****
4 out of five stars.
Old 30-01-2009, 07:47 PM #132
BURLESQUE

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

BURLESQUE

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum

Paramore - Riot!

1. For a Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic A great song to start off the album, I love the chorus and the guitar intro. Hayley's vocals are great in this. [8/10]

2. That's What You Get I love the whole feel of this song, the sound of the guitars in the background is immense. The chorus itself isn't very strong but it's a nice track. [7/10]

3. Hallelujah Great intro to the song with the guitars. Not a personal favourite of mine though. It's a bit bland. [6/10]

4. Misery Business One of my favourite songs of all time, it's just incredible. The guitars at the beginning create a great atmosphere to a fantastic song. The chorus is stunning, Hayley sings it with such passion. I love the end of the last verse where you can just hear the guitars, it gives me chills. [10/10]

5. When It Rains A nice song, a lot calmer paced than Misery Business. It shows off Hayley's immense vocals. [6.5/10]

6. Let the Flames Begin Great song, it has a nice beat to it. The chorus is really powerful, it starts quite calmy and then goes into a fierce tone in the chorus. [7.5/10]

7. Miracle I like this song, however has to be said the chorus is quite weak. Not a stand out track but it's not bad either. [6.5/10]

8. Crushcrushcrush Love this song. I love the chorus especially, the sound of the guitars in the song sounds brilliant as well. I like how the whole song follows a pattern, it works well. [9/10]

9. We Are Broken A very slow paced song, but I really like it. The lyrics were very well written. [7.5/10]

10. Fences Love this song, I love the beat to the song and the rhythm. The chorus is great, one of my favourite songs from the album. [9/10]

11. Born for This This song is just immense. I love the start, it sounds so good. The chorus is really good too, and the vocals are great. [8/10]

Overall, I think it's a great album. Although some songs are better than others, I could listen to the whole thing without skipping any. One of my favourite albums ever, I wish I could have seen them perform it live. Obviously a lot of hard work went into the album and it reflects on the music.

5 out of 5
LOL this actually convinced me to download this.
MrGaryy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 09:05 PM #133
more more more

Favourites (more):

more more more

Favourites (more):

Michael Jackson - Thriller
Year of Release - 1982

1. Wanna' Be Startin' Somethin' [10/10] One of the most legendary Michael songs of all time! He proves he is the king of pop with this amazing up-beat classic.

2. Baby Be Mine [7/10] Not the best on the album but still a good track written by Rod Temperton.

3. The Girls is Mine [7.8/10] Classic Michael Jackson. His jumpy voice makes this track!

4. Thriller [10/10] Possibly the most known song ever recorded. But the big question is.. is it a FILLER, FILLER NIGHTS, hehe - it's a fantastic track which will be known forever.

5. Beat It [10/10] Another amazing classic. Everybody knows it and it's easy to see why.

6. Billie Jean [10/10] A lyrically amazing song about an obsessive Michael Jackson fan. The tune is incredibly catchy & stays with you.

7. Human Nature [9/10] Michael Jackson keeps amazing us with amazing, fantastic songs!

8. P.Y.T (Pretty Young Thing) [8.7/10] I love this song. You want to just listen and keep on listening.

9. The Lady in My Life [6.7/10] You kind of thought a better way would close this flawless album. A nice little closing ballad, I enjoy it.

--Overall--
It's easy to see why this is the most successfull album of all time and the most famous. It keeps on amazing you with fantastic tracks. Pure Michael Jackson.

*****/*****
5 out of five stars.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:21 AM #134
more more more

Favourites (more):

more more more

Favourites (more):

Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You
Year of Release - 2009

1. Everyone's at It - It's a really lovley way to start the album. Bit of a weird start but good! [8.9/10]

2. The Fear - a fantastic electronic song. Lily showcases her amazing vocals and songwriting skills. Lovley music video too. [10/10]

3. Not Fair - I can just see her in a video for this - perhaps in a western style or as a cowgirl? This song is just cowgirl-y! I love it. [9.7/10]

4. 22 - Reminds me of an Oasis or Travis classic. It's OK, a bit bland but it's good. [5.6/10]

5. I Could Say - Amazing. I just picture lasers while listening to this song for some reason. [10/10]

6. Back To The Start - The most dance/techno orientated. I song which you can move too. [9.9/10]

7. Never Gonna' Happen - Clap! Clap! Ermm.. the song is ok. [4.9/10]

8. ***** You - I love this song! Probably one of my favourites on the album! [10/10]

9. Who'd Of Known - A similar song to Take That's Smile. I love this ballad-y song. [10/10]

10. Chinese - Another slow song. A more dance beat version of Avril Lavinge's With You in certain parts of the verse.

11. Him - Three slower songs in a row? This song is a bit of a filler. [5.7/10]

12. He Wasn't There - A song written about her father. I love this song. Who'd of Known and this song are probably the best slowish song on the record. [9/10]

--Overall--
Many were concerned if Allen could reach the quality of her previous debut album "Alright, Still". Her debut was very Pop/ska and even reggae styled and this record is very electronic/dance orientated. She has certainly made a record with the quality of her debut. It's a fantastic album and I'm sure will be one of the huge hits of 2009.

****/*****
4 out of five stars.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 AM #135

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Lauren Simon
BB2023: Chanelle

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Lauren Simon
BB2023: Chanelle

lmao "electronic song ":L
Billy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 AM #136

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Lucie Jones

Favourites:

I never listen to albums because I usually only like certain songs on the albums [released ones] but I love Justice, I got their album, Cross, and so I shall review it : thumbs:

----------------------------------------------------------

Justice - Cross
Year of Release 2007

1. Genesis - Really strange at first but the Justice vibe soon comes through, a nice opening tune. [6/10]
2. Let There Be Light - Again, a bit strange at first, nice beat, perhaps a bit repetitive? Nice though. [6/10]
3. D.A.N.C.E - You cannot hate this song, its utter brilliance. [10/10]
4. Newjack - I think its a pretty cool song and the part near the end is proper groovy. Nice electronic beat. [7/10]
5. Phantom - Proper Justice sounding, has a nice gritty, noisy groove to it. [7/10]
6. Phantom Pt II - Follows on from Phantom, Pt II is immense sounding. Again the grittyness but with a light beat ontop. [8/10]
7. Valentine - Much slower than the others, quite trance sounding. [5.5/10]
8. Tthhee Ppaarrttyy - The vocals by Uffie on this one give it a nice edge, I prefer the quicker remix. But overall one of my favourite Justice songs. [8.5/10]
9. DVNO - Utter Amazingness. I can't fault it, its my favourite ever Justice tune. [10/10]
10. Stress When I first heard it I hated it, but its grown on me and I love it. Quite fierce sounding but brilliant. [9/10]
11. Waters of Nazareth A completely different tune to the others but I like it, really quite funky. [7.5/10]
12. One Minute to Midnight. Sounds similar to Phantom Pt II, but the beat being a bit thicker and lower. It's a nice way to end the album. [8/10]

Overall, Justice being one of my favourite artists - I love their album. You know its Justice when you hear one of their songs, cause the beats are so gritty, thick - perhaps DaftPunk a like but all the same completley original. Brilliant album overall

5 stars from me.

Sam! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 PM #137
more more more

Favourites (more):

more more more

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy
lmao "electronic song ":L
hahaa, it is!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:56 PM #138
more more more

Favourites (more):

more more more

Favourites (more):

Lady GaGa - The Cherrytree Sessions [EP]
Year of Release - 2009

1. Poker Face [Piano & Voice Version] - Her voice just completley shines in this live track. She sounds like a goddess. [10/10]

2. Just Dance [Stripped Down Version] A fantastic live stripped down version of the smash hit Just Dance. Again, her voice is outstanding. She has a very Christina mixed with Gwen when she sings live. [10/10]

3. Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say) [Electric Piano & Human Beat Box Version]. Wow! Nothing Else I Can Say (hehe). [10/10].

--Overall--
A fantastic small three track live EP. Fantastic Gaga proves herself once again. Just proves that even though her music is very studio edited she can still sing!

[b]*****/*****
5 out of five stars.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:15 PM #139
more more more

Favourites (more):

more more more

Favourites (more):

various covers

LaToya Jackson - Bad Girl
Original Edition Release Year - 1989

1. Bad Girl [9.1/10] Wow! What a fantastic way to start the album. It's a fun, jumpy and up-beat disco track.

2. You and Me [6.7/10] It's a good song but can be a little boring.

3. He's My Brother [9.1/10] Tito, Jermaine, Marlon, Randy etc.. certainly Michael. The lyrics "He's no Thriller, he's still the Man in the Mirror" pretty much tells you could LaToya co-wrote it about. Fantastic song and the best ballad on the whole record.

4. Restless Heart [7.8/10] It's an okay song; nothing spectacular.

5. Playboy (Be My) [8.1/10] Something about this song makes me really like it. It's very risky. At the time of making this record she was under the control of her husband and manager Jack Gordon who forced her to pose nude for Playboy and made her sing very sexual songs.

6. You Can Count On Me [6.5/10] It is a filler. It's not a bad song - just not brilliant.

7. Somewhere [6.7/10] A nice soft lovley ballad.

8. Sexual Feeling [5/10] Woah! Take it easy.. for about three minutes of this song it consists of Jackson making sex noises and saying "Ooo. Yeah, that's good - that's nice, keep going!" etc. Not much lyrics.

9. Be My Lover [7.1/10] A good ballad. A little bit dull and a more soulfull version of something you'd expect of Sheryl Crow. Jackson's voice is so small in this song you struggle to hear her.

10. He's So Good To Me [8.4/10] This was aparently a song Jack Gordon made LaToya sing. Certainly not about him, eh? Good song but compared to some of the other songs. A filler!

11. Do The Salsa [10/10] The best song on the whole record. You can't stay still. It's a very sensual up-beat salsa track!

12. Piano Man [9.8/10] A very good way to finish of the record. Love it!!!

--Overall--
A fantastic album again by Ms. Jackson - she continues to impress me.
****/*****
4 out of five stars.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:17 PM #140

Favourites:

Favourites:

God you do alot of these don't you.
Sam! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:20 PM #141
more more more

Favourites (more):

more more more

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam!
God you do alot of these don't you.

Well - I'm always listening to music and I'm off the school for a while because I'm sick so I'm really bored.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:08 PM #142
Team Flack

Team Flack

Same Difference-Pop

Year of Release-2008

When I bought this album I wasn't expected quality music but what I got was just as good. This album is like Skittles,sweet,a bit sickly if you have too much but you always go back for more. They're impossible not to love. Pop is full to the brim of sugary sweet tunes,from the child-like 'I Need A House' to the HSM cover of 'Breaking Free'. 'Still Amazed' and 'Right Between the Eyes' provide the ever so slighty more grown up ballads.
Conclusion: Poptastic! Cheesy lyrics,cheesy music but who doesn't love cheese?
Best Track:Let Me Be The One
Worst Track:All The Roads Lead To Haevn
4/5
Princess is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 02:18 PM #143

Lady GaGa - The Fame

1.Just Dance (feat Colby O Donnis & Akon) - 10/10
2.LoveGame - 8/10
3.Paparazzi - 8/10
4.Poker Face - 10/10
5.I Like It Rough - 10/10
6.Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say) - 7/10
7.Starstruck (feat Space Cowboy & Flo Rida) - 9/10
8.Beautiful,Dirty,Rich - 8/10
9.The Fame - 7/10
10.Money Honey - 6/10
11.Boys,Boys,Boys - 7/10
12.Paper Ganster - 10/10
13.Brown Eyes - 6/10
14.Summer Boy - 2/10

Overall id give the album 8/10
KKBL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 06:46 PM #144
more more more

Favourites (more):

more more more

Favourites (more):

Summerboy = 2/10
Old 18-03-2009, 05:00 PM #145

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Hannah Montana: The Movie Soundtrack

This is the movie soundtrack to Hannah Montana: The Movie. There are songs by Hannah Montana, Miley Cyrus, Billy Ray Cyrus, Rascal Flatts, Steve Rushton & Taylor Swift.

Release Date: 23/3/09

1. You'll Always Find Your Way Back Home [Hannah Montana] 9/10
2. Let's Get Crazy [Hannah Montana] 9/10
3. The Good Life [Hannah Montana] 8.5/10
4. Everything I Want [Steve Rushton] 8/10
5. Don't Walk Away [Miley Cyrus] 8/10
6. Hoedown Throwdown [Miley Cyrus] 9.5/10
7. Dream [Miley Cyrus] 8/10
8. The Climb [Miley Cyrus] 10/10
9. Butterfly Fly Away [Miley & Billy Ray Cyrus] 8/10
10. Backwards (Acoustic) [Rascal Flatts] 8/10
11. Back To Tennessee [Billy Ray Cyrus] 8/10
12. Crazier [Taylor Swift] 9/10
13. Bless The Broken Road (Acoustic) [Rascal Flatts] 8/10
14. Let's Do This [Hannah Montana] 9/10
15. Spotlight [Hannah Montana] 8.5/10
16. Game Over [Steve Rushton] 8/10
17. What's Not To Like [Hannah Montana] 9.25/10
18. The Best of Both Worlds (2009 Movie Mix) [Hannah Montana] 9.375/10

Best songs on the album: The Climb, Hoedown Throwdown, Best of Both Worlds, What's Not To Like, You'll Always Find Your Way Back Home, Let's Get Crazy, Crazier & Let's Do This.
Firewire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 05:43 PM #146
Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Madonna - Confessions On A Dance Floor (2005)
1. Hung Up - Great start to the album with Abba sampled 'Gimme Gimme Gime' to a pure pop finish [7/10]
2.Get Together - Madonna softer single which is a grower if you only heard it for the first time [7/10]
3.Sorry - One of my fave Madonna singles in one of the most darkest tack on the album [8/10]
4.Future Lovers - A disco type track which was the first track of her tour [7.5/10]
5.I Love New York - Madonna sings heavy rock style which shows life in New York [8/10]
6.Let It Will Be - I love this track, Very fast pased and rock like simalar to 'I Love New York' [8/10]
7.Forbidden Love - Very good song to listen to if you want to listen to a fresh track. My fave non-single on the album [8.5/10]
8.Jump - Best track on the album! Dance sounding as well. [9/10]
9.How High - Madge sounds like Kylie in this track! Good song for Kylie fans [7/10]
10.Isaac - Song proformed with Isaac from her tour, Very asian sounding song. [7.5/10]
11.Push - In my opinion the most boring song on the album but it is still good to listen to [6/10]
12.Like It Or Not - Like the track title you 'Like It Or Not' with the last track but it was good preformed live [8/10]

Overall a great album 10/10!
Harry! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 05:46 PM #147
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

I will do one when i am not feeling lazy

Never
Ninastar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 01:55 AM #148
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

I know this is quite an old album, but it's a free country and this isn't just for new stuff I came across it when I found a box of old CDs the other day...and since I think they're a really underrated band, I thought I'd review this album.

Basement Jaxx - The Singles
Obviously this is a shameless compilation of their famous material to make money, but...well, music is a ruthless industry. Make or break and all that jazz. A lot of people I know often hear me playing one of Basement Jaxx's songs and think "isn't that off that advert?" and ask me who the artist. Indeed, most people when asked "name a Basement Jaxx song" would struggle, perhaps only remembering "Where's Your Head At?" for the memorable music video.

So I'll dive straight in to the album.

Track#1 - Red Alert - One of their most famous singles; Red Alert does what it says on the tin. It grabs your attention and with its catchy, yet bizarre, synthesized beats and vocals, makes you want to dance like an animal. And the music keeps on playing on and on, indeed. Rating: 8/10
Track#2 - Good Luck - A feel-good song about a woman dumping her two-timing lover and getting a kick of revenge in whilst she remembers to. The music video is simple: it's her driving. A song for womankind everywhere. Rating: 6.5/10
Track#3 - Romeo - Basement Jaxx are renowned for bringing in foreign and alternative music styles into their famed electronic sound, and no single pays homage to this greater than Romeo. With an elaborate Bollywood-style video to coincide with this release, Romeo is a glimmering ray of sunshine into an otherwise unfriendly-sounding electronic scene. Rating: 9/10
Track#4 - Oh My Gosh - One of their more recent releases, Oh My Gosh is a tongue-in-cheek tale about a naughty encounter with a stranger. With its cheeky vocals and funny video (depicting the characters mentioned in the song as horny members of a retirement home), OMG is evidence of the band's broad and simple appeal. Rating: 7/10
Track #5 - Bingo Bango - Perhaps a little less structured than other singles, Bingo Bango turns up the carnival vibe and listening it without thinking of Notting Hill or Mardi Gras is a struggle. A tad repetitive, however, with no real chorus or bridge to discern between 4 minutes of nonsensical shouting. Rating: 5/10
Track #6 - Where's Your Head At? - Their most famous exploit. A video with scientists mutating humans and monkeys together and watching as the results go haywire, perfectly compliments this wild and weird musical adventure. Almost sinister. Rating: 8/10
Track #7 - Rendez-Vu - Picture yourself in a Morocco beach. The sun is burning your neck and your eyes grow tired from all the squinting in the light. This song perfectly accompanies that feeling. A distinctly Mediterranean influence resides over this track, as if shouting for a siesta. Rating: 6.5/10
Track#8 - Jump 'N Shout - Crank up the nonsense vibe and we come to Jump 'N Shout, which seemingly asks you to do nothing else. Menacing vocals and a dirty beat, but you get the feeling that you can only really appreciate this under the influence of heavy narcotics. Rating: 5/10.
Track#9 - Lucky Star - We've seen Bollywood and the Mediterannean, but come Track 9 we're stopping in Arabia. With guest vocals from Dizzee Rascal, Lucky Star is a bit of a mess if I'm honest. Mixing Arabesque music with UK Hip Hop is a big no-go. Rating: 3/10
Track#10 - Plug It In - My personal favourite of the album. Vocals from JC Chasez bring a distinctly rock vibe to the eclectic styles of Jaxx, and it works well. A real punch is packed with the chorus, and lyrics are spat out in a mixture of malice and cool. Almost sexy. Rating: 9/10
Track#11 - U Don't Know Me - Featuring the same vocalist as Good Luck, we return to the sense of a woman scorned. This song almost purrs, but it seems almost slow by Jaxx standards. Rating: 5.5/10
Track#12 - Do Your Thing - Made famous on an advert of some form, with a cute video with people wearing T-Shirts proudly proclaiming the lyrics, Do Your Thing is a welcome piece of nostalgia from Summers gone by. Trumpets included, I dare you not to dance. Rating: 9/10
Track#13 - Jus 1 Kiss - You get a real sense of the album winding down by this point, and picture yourself, if you will, in the lounge area of a bar after a night's incessant dancing to techno music. I often feel picturing yourself in certain situations helps to describe music a little better than saying "it's relaxing". Not bad, but not so memorable. Rating: 7/10
Track#14 - Flylife - A little of grunge and grime is thrown in here and we're reminded that the Jaxx party is not over yet. An almost fairground feel, this track is something more of a conventional club tune than their other hits. For that reason it doesn't impress so much. Rating: 6/10
Track#15 - Samba Magic - Final track of the album, and Samba Magic is an amalgamation of all sounds Basement Jaxx are known for. There's a sense of delirium/euphoria underlying all the uptempo and crazy dancing. A great end to the album. Rating: 7/10

Conclusion:
I should warn anyone buying this album that, come the end of all tracks, there will be an unfortunate reminder of British weather and that it's only March. Whilst it's not ideal for our weather to have such a strong impact on your music, it's hard to appreciate the beauty of Romeo or Jus 1 Kiss in the pouring rain on London's busy streets.
However, if you retain a little optimism, or are looking for something to chuck on your playlists for a Summer barbeque or soiree, you cannot go wrong here. You won't find any hidden depth, politics or tragedy on this album, and in a sense that's a bit of a shortcoming. But in a world of eternal recession and gloomy weather, Basement Jaxx offer a welcome beacon on the horizon. And for that reason, I give this album an 8 out of 10.
Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 02:59 AM #149
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Another old album here, but still...**** off.

Fall Out Boy - Infinity On High

Track#1 - Thriller - No, no similarities to the Michael Jackson zombie-fest. Equally unusual, though, is the guest appearance from Jay-Z on this track. Immediately fans are inundated with the familiar listener-friendly guitar chords and jilted, yet effective, vocals of Stump. A brilliant opener. Rating: 9/10
Track#2 - "The Take Over, The Break's Over" - Ah yes, the ongoing tradition for long-winded song titles hasn't dissipated. A simple and repetitive guitar riff lingers throughout this song, but never really amounts to anything. The song comes to an end with almost painful vocals, but come the next track you won't remember this. Rating: 5/10
Track#3 - This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race - The first single off the album, and perhaps one of their most commercially successful of all time. With suitably weird video in tow, teenage girls' hearts racing at the site of Pete Wentz dying in guyliner, Fall Out Boy have finally hit the big time and they know it. Shout along as you will. Rating: 8/10
Track#4 - I'm Like A Lawyer With The Ways I'm Always Trying To Get You Off (Me & You) - Whilst some song titles are confusing, you can't fault their effort. A lot more of a generic love song and user-friendly than their other material, Me&You is a decent, if forgettable filler. Rating: 5.5/10
Track#5 - Hum Hallelujah - The epitome of generic FOB. Yawn. Rating: 1/10
Track#6 - Golden - The contrast in quality between the preceding track and this is staggering. Swapping overused and overstated guitar riffs for a haunting piano melody, Stump eerily chants this ballad. The lyrics "And I saw God cry in the reflection of my enemies" conjure goosebumps. My favourite from the album, and possibly of all their work. Rating: 10/10
Track#7 - Thnks Fr Th Mmrs - Don't ask me where the vowels went. Second single time and their best single from the album if you ask me. It has everything about FOB that made them famous - catchy, sing-along lyrics (that you can actually decipher! Bonus!) and an "I Don't Care" style guitar riff. Nice addition in the strings, too. Rating: 9/10
Track#8 - Don't You Know Who I Think I Am? - Drums and clapping help to establish a steady rhythm throughout, but are slightly let down by uninspiring vocals/lyrics. Rating: 5/10
Track#9 - The (After) Life Of The Party - "I'm a stitch away from making it, and a scar away from falling apart." Excellent lyrics sung with gusto, and euphoric instrumentals suitable for any 'Gossip Girl' (or other shoddy teen drama) sad moment. My second favourite of the album. Rating: 10/10
Track#10 - The Carpal Tunnel Of Love - At this point of the album you're starting to fail to distinguish which song was which. Unfortunately, that's the case here. A valiant effort on the electric guitar's part, but another example of uninspired tune. Rating: 4/10
Track#11 - Bang the Doldrums - If you like Fall Out Boy, Pirates of the Caribbean and are looking for an immediate correlation between the two, I'd recommend this. Jolly and catchy drum-beats make you feel as if aboard a galleon and waving a pitcher of beer whilst chanting along to the chorus of "Woah-oh-ohs". Rating: 7/10
Track#12 - Fame < Infamy - One of the more ferocious efforts on behalf of our guitar-wielding emos here, and one of the more memorable efforts too. By no means their best, but a welcome improvement. Rating: 8/10
Track#13 - You're Crashing, But You're No Wave - Angry vocals are shouted by Stump, but if only you could hear what they were actually saying. Often is the case with Fall Out Boy where you can't understand what's being said (almost rivalling Kurt Cobain's confusion-ability on Smells Like Teen Spirit). Rating: 6/10
Track #14 - I've Got All This Ringing In My Ears And None On My Fingers - A competition was held by FOB amongst fans to come up with an inventive song title for this track, perhaps indicative of how much meaning is behind this effort. A nice, creative name, but a dull song. Rating: 3/10
Track#15 - G.I.N.A.S.F.S. - The bonus track. Wondering what those initials stand for? It's "Gay Is Not A Synonym For Stupid". Nice politically correct statement I suppose, but when said people using that synonym are about 12 years old, it's not really worth the effort combatting it. Anyway, the song's...average at best. Rating: 5/10

Conclusion:
Whilst there are a lot of radio-friendly tracks here to titillate the already-established Fall Out Boy fans, there's a sense that the band aren't really trying to branch out and experiment with other musical stylings. Although for me, this isn't too much of a problem, given that I've been fond of their previous material, one can almost sympathise with the criticisms against the band that they sound repetitive and boring.
There are some valiant attempts though - taking a leaf from Linkin Park's book and bringing in Jay-Z for their first track is a bold step indeed. But where's the follow-up?
For these reasons, I'm inclined to go down from what was originally an 8 to a 7/10.
Old 20-03-2009, 07:57 AM #150
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Another review...I'm on fire today.

The Scissor Sisters - Ta-Dah!

Now I'm going to be a little bit biased for this review as this remains, to this day, the only act I've gone to see in concert. And that was possibly the most fun experience of my life. So I'll try and tone down the nostalgia from that trip and give a fair report into the album.

The second album, a follow up to their self-titled debut, Ta-Dah! reached Number#1 on the UK charts and gave birth to several successful singles.

Tracklisting:
Track One: I Don't Feel Like Dancin' - With Elton John as a guest on the Old Joanna, the first single from the album is their best and most famous. Tragic lyrics set to an irresistably jolly backdrop, this song is guaranteed to make everyone dance. The song of 2006, IMO. Rating: 11/10
Track Two: She's My Man - Their second single from the album, She's My Man has a 70s-style guitar groove lingering under lyrics of rusty razor blades and choking. A crowd-pleaser, but I'm not entirely sure why. I mean it's great, but not one of the best on the album. Rating: 9/10
Track Three: I Can't Decide - Almost stepping into a dodgy 80s cop show theme-tune, I Can't Decide sings about "****ing and kissing you at the same time" and indecision over your fate as if reciting a shopping list. Very 'My Name Is Earl' in that a distinctly Southern-USA sound is prominent. A fun little number. Rating: 8/10
Track Four: Lights - Disco funk is introduced here and blends in suitably with their other material. What it lacks in a memorable chorus, though, it makes up for with relaxed coolness. Rating: 7/10
Track Five: Land Of A Thousand Words - Ballad number#1 of the album, and whilst the band aren't generally renowned for their softer side, success in previous single 'Mary' begs to suggest otherwise. Perhaps lost amongst a sea of camp, flamboyant dancing in concert, but a welcome breather in audio. Rating: 7/10
Track Six: Intermission - I'm generally not a fan of this whole 'intermission' idea some artists use on their albums. I mean, people have a pause button for a reason. Though I suppose if listening the whole way through, that'd make sense, haha. A rather Bohemian, raggedy-doll feel to this offering. But intermissions aren't anything to look out for when you want a performance. Rating: 5/10
Track Seven: Kiss You Off - Single no#3 from the album, and after a break, we're inundated with eery gospel chanting. Descending into a Pet Shop Boys-style groove (reminiscent of the single 'Love'), this song oozes attitude and sexuality. Rating: 10/10
Track Eight: Ooh - How gloriously camp, I hear you cry. And that is what this song is in a nutshell. Unabashedly fun, and nothing more. Rating: 8/10
Track Nine: Paul McCartney - The opening screams are oddly reminiscent of the crowd waiting for the band to come on-stage. Or of a party I once attended where the lights went off and people started stripping. Hmm. Odd song title aside, since as far as I'm aware, he doesn't feature, this is another funky dance number. Perhaps my 2nd favourite of the album. Rating: 9/10
Track Ten: The Other Side - A little wind-down from the rest of the album, TOS is...if I'm honest, a little dreary. Very Softcell, or Tears for Fears though. Personally not such a fan. Rating: 5/10
Track Eleven: Might Tell You Tonight - Another ballad, Shears shows off his perhaps understated abilities, tackling impressive semantics with ease. A slow, yet woozy song that you'll find yourself swaying to, guaranteed. Rating: 8/10
Track Twelve: Everybody Wants The Same Thing - More disco funk and the 12th track offers one of the album's more "sing-along-able" (soon to be in my very own Collins Dictionary) songs. Not a lot to talk about though, a very bread-and-water song. Rating: 6.5/10
Track Thirteen: Transistor - Miles away from the rest of the album, Ta-Dah! ends on Transistor. A bizarre dream sequence very strongly influenced by their previous albums' songs such as Comfortably Numb and The Skins. An interesting way of ending the album, it manages to summarise the Sisters' feel and charisma without repeating too much of the genres featured on the album. Rating: 8/10

Conclusion:
Whilst some listeners will be disappointed to see a step away from the electronica dance seen in favourites such as "Filthy/Gorgeous" or "Comfortably Numb", the Sisters' follow-up is one of those rarities - an album better than their first. Seeing them in concert with their passionate performances inbetween amusing ramblings about Barbara Streisand and London, one can't help but be sucked in by the very camp and fabulous liftestyle led by Anamatronic and co. I look forward to the third album, rumoured to be out before 2010. Rating: 8/10

Last edited by Shaun; 17-11-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
album, post, reviews, tibb, topic