Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:00 PM #176
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
20? Round here its a ratio of around 200 applicants for each job..at least.

My father in law advertised a job vacancy when he owned his bar, and got literally 200 applicants within the first day. And this was about 3 years ago now...before the recession really bit and loads became redundant.

http://www.tescoplc.com/index.asp?pageid=17&newsid=731

2000 withinin two days for the new tesco thats being built here too.
What you say are the things I hear Vicky all the time, I can quite believe all you say above.

I was being very cautious in my post which is why I said at the very least 20,it is I would expect considerably more and on the lines you list most of the time.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 01:54 AM #177
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

caitlin moran: "i am a product of welfare uk"
(This is a repost of Caitlin Moran's article in today's Times, put up here in good faith. Any objections get in touch)

‘'We were a large family raised on public handouts who were gentle and normal’

My father raised eight children on welfare benefits, and didn’t kill any of us

I feel I should say that this week. I feel I need to firmly point to a large family raised on public handouts who were normal, and gentle, and never set fire to their house during a personal vendetta against a former lover.

It’s weird I should have to, of course, but the Philpott trial seems to have made it necessary. The Daily Mail’s headline on the case, after the “guilty” verdict, was “VILE PRODUCT OF WELFARE UK”, a profoundly odd summation of the case to have chosen. When Harold Shipman was convicted of killing more than 250 patients, the headline wasn’t “THE DEADLY PROFESSIONAL CLASSES”. Likewise, the headline on Fred West was not a succinct “EVIL BUILDER”. Odd, given that both Shipman and West’s professions actively facilitated their crimes as they visited helpless patients, loaded with poisoned syringes, or buried shattered bodies under the patio.''

I saw that while evil operated in the centre of all this – a terrible, destructive, manipulative man – every innocent around him was helped, and aided, and was never abandoned, and had somewhere to turn because of “welfare UK”. For that is why the welfare state was created: to undo wrongs, to help the helpless, even as strong men rage to destroy them. Anyone inclined to berate “welfare UK” should consider for a moment what would have happened to those women and those children in Victorian times, before Beveridge and Attlee.

''Because if they believe that the slums then were not filled with men exactly like Mick Philpott – but whose children starved and whose wives stayed, beaten, in the house – and that it is only “welfare UK” that has now created them, I fear the history my father taught me, during his long, “idle” days on benefits, was more comprehensive than yours.''

http://markmuldoon.blogspot.co.uk/20...elfare-uk.html

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
daily, disgusting, front, mail, page, tomorrow