Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 14-02-2021, 10:13 AM #2326
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
There's millions likely who would have loved to go and visit family.
Even be with them when ill.
Or even at their funerals.
Who haven't been able to for near a year too.

No excuse for Holden, just as there was none for Cummings really or Stephen Kinnock in lockdown periods either.

No sympathy from me for Holden.
Another who may think rulings don't apply to her and her family.
Well if they would have loved to do that, then they should have. The only person stopping them was themselves.

When the rules are inhumane, then don't comply with them.

Last edited by Alf; 14-02-2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old 14-02-2021, 10:14 AM #2327

Quote:
There's millions likely who would have loved to go and visit family.
Even be with them when ill.
Or even at their funerals.
Who haven't been able to for near a year too.

No excuse for Holden, just as there was none for Cummings really or Stephen Kinnock in lockdown periods either.

No sympathy from me for Holden.
Another who may think rulings don't apply to her and her family.

There are thousands also breaking many of the rules .... that’s why it’s still spreading like wildfire in certain areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14-02-2021, 10:38 AM #2328
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
How on earth would a member of the public or one of her neighbours know where she’d been unless she’d told them

According to the paper she was ‘spotted’ going in to the house by a neighbour

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 14-02-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 14-02-2021, 10:39 AM #2329
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
There are thousands also breaking many of the rules .... that’s why it’s still spreading like wildfire in certain areas

It’s within the rules if they are in her bubble though

She is 50 soon, if she had a gathering for that, it would be a news story, going on her own to see her elderly parents for reasons unknown and getting hammered for it is OTT imo

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 14-02-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:19 AM #2330
0_o

0_o

I refuse to demonise someone for seeing their family tbh, I feel we are at a sad stage in society if people get mad that someone went to see their ****ing parents. Yes its 'maybe' (as there are a LOT of bubbles) 'against the rules' but when we are at the stage of kicking off at someone seeing their elderly parents after months and months..I feel society is in a BAD place. I would join in with the lynching if she had gone to some huge house party or something. But from what it sounds like, no. And I agree the neighbour is a twat, tbh.

It is unrealistic to expect people to have no contact with others long term. For a short time, yes, but these lockdowns are NOT short term.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 14-02-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:24 AM #2331
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Well if they would have loved to do that, then they should have. The only person stopping them was themselves.

When the rules are inhumane, then don't comply with them.
What's really inhumane is to risk putting others in unnecessary danger by our own actions.

So no surprise I respectfully both dismiss and disagree then with every word you've just said.

What if she'd broken down, taken ill herself and already overstretched resources had to be called out to help her.
No, I've no sympathy.
I couldn't be with family dying from covid nor be at their funerals either.
No sympathy from me to her or support either.

Last edited by joeysteele; 14-02-2021 at 11:27 AM.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:27 AM #2332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I refuse to demonise someone for seeing their family tbh, I feel we are at a sad stage in society if people get mad that someone went to see their ****ing parents. Yes its 'maybe' (as there are a LOT of bubbles) 'against the rules' but when we are at the stage of kicking off at someone seeing their elderly parents after months and months..I feel society is in a BAD place. I would join in with the lynching if she had gone to some huge house party or something. But from what it sounds like, no. And I agree the neighbour is a twat, tbh.

It is unrealistic to expect people to have no contact with others long term. For a short time, yes, but these lockdowns are NOT short term.

Nicely put !

Old 14-02-2021, 11:27 AM #2333
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
What's really inhumane is to risk putting others in unnecessary danger by our own actions.

So no surprise I respectfully both dismiss and disagree then with every word you've just said.
If this country had have thought that way in 1939 then we wouldn't be here.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:28 AM #2334
0_o

0_o

There are ways to do it without putting others in danger though. Totally quarantine yourselves from the world for a bit befre going. Have a test. Keep away frm others. Etc.

Also, we do not now if she has a reason for a bubble..so she might not even be breaking any rules.

The lynch mob for someone seeing family (even without knowing anything about it besides, the meeting happened) is depressing.

Back in lockdown 1..when more people were watching neighburs and that..the guy down the road was having his daughter over regularly still. Before bubbles were even a thing too IIRC (Because we allowed my mother in law to come to us, in the same timeframe and got a lot of **** for it. However, she would almost certainly have topped herself if totally isolated, so it was a benefit V risk thing for us). The bitch across the road from us reported them,..and bragged about it too in a 'I will show HIM' kind of way. Well, in short, he had been diagnosed as terminally ill and had 3 months to live. So would actually have been dead by the time he was allowed to see family. I hope she felt bad about that tbh. I am not saying this has happened here, but the reasons are 100fold.
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 14-02-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:30 AM #2335
Sod orf

Sod orf

I'd rather be shot dead on the spot then be separated from my loved ones.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:36 AM #2336
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
There are ways to do it without putting others in danger though. Totally quarantine yourselves from the world for a bit befre going. Have a test. Keep away frm others. Etc.

Also, we do not now if she has a reason for a bubble..so she might not even be breaking any rules.

The lynch mob for someone seeing family (even without knowing anything about it besides, the meeting happened) is depressing.

Back in lockdown 1..when more people were watching neighburs and that..the guy down the road was having his daughter over regularly still. Before bubbles were even a thing too IIRC (Because we allowed my mother in law to come to us, in the same timeframe and got a lot of **** for it. However, she would almost certainly have topped herself if totally isolated, so it was a benefit V risk thing for us). The bitch across the road from us reported them,..and bragged about it too in a 'I will show HIM' kind of way. Well, in short, he had been diagnosed as terminally ill and had 3 months to live. So would actually have been dead by the time he was allowed to see family. I hope she felt bad about that tbh. I am not saying this has happened here, but the reasons are 100fold.
Er, I'm not part of any lynch mob thank you.

We were told she had a distressing call from her Father.
We don't know the nature of it.

If it required her setting off driving hundreds of miles, then what was it?.

You don't know it was necessary to set off and take all the time it would take to drive hundreds of miles too.

I've had many distressing texts and calls with loads of my family, who've been left devastated by covid and not able to be with loved ones.

We could have broken rules but chose to think of ALL others not just ourselves.

So I'm not going to support anyone driving and travelling hundreds of miles.
When I wasn't even able to drop into a neighbouring town myself.

Who would seriously or wisely have only in their bubble someone who was hundreds of miles away.!!!

Last edited by joeysteele; 14-02-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:48 AM #2337
0_o

0_o

Well I wasn't including you in the lynch mob tbf, that seems more social media, but you seem to be getting very upset that she had the GALL to go and see her parents. Which is..a bit depressing. I get that some are sticklers for rules. I do. But when rules make as little sense as a lot of the rules we are currently asked to follow...at some stage people do start to bend them somewhat, in order to work best for their own situation. Even if the 'rules' were consistent, people will start to ignore them when one of them is stay away from all society for MONTHS. Weeks, yeah I could join in with the 'omg why cant they stay away' stuff...but when its months, I really can't. Like, humans are social animals. And we don't tend to do well in isolation. At this stage in the game, I have anger for people having massive meetups, but not for those just wanting some social interaction, or who are checking on elderly family members, or anything like that.

If I got a 'distressing call' from my dad, and he lived ages away, yes, I would be going to help him. Regardless of if Boris said it was ok or not.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 14-02-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old 14-02-2021, 12:00 PM #2338

[New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has
ordered the country's biggest city Auckland
to go into lockdown after the discovery
of three new local cases of Covid-19.
The measures will last three days and
require residents to stay at home.

Ms Ardern said the country was
going "hard and early" after the
cases were identified.
New Zealand has won widespread
praise for its handling
of the pandemic, going months without
community transmission.]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56059960

Lucky New Zealand,

Last edited by arista; 14-02-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old 14-02-2021, 12:03 PM #2339
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Completely agree, there has to be some flex in there

Old 14-02-2021, 12:08 PM #2340
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

I feel like if she had a good enough reason for visiting her mother, she shouldn't be punished, it can't be black and white.
Old 14-02-2021, 12:10 PM #2341
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well I wasn't including you in the lynch mob tbf, that seems more social media, but you seem to be getting very upset that she had the GALL to go and see her parents. Which is..a bit depressing. I get that some are sticklers for rules. I do. But when rules make as little sense as a lot of the rules we are currently asked to follow...at some stage people do start to bend them somewhat, in order to work best for their own situation. Even if the 'rules' were consistent, people will start to ignore them when one of them is stay away from all society for MONTHS. Weeks, yeah I could join in with the 'omg why cant they stay away' stuff...but when its months, I really can't. Like, humans are social animals. And we don't tend to do well in isolation. At this stage in the game, I have anger for people having massive meetups, but not for those just wanting some social interaction, or who are checking on elderly family members, or anything like that.

If I got a 'distressing call' from my dad, and he lived ages away, yes, I would be going to help him. Regardless of if Boris said it was ok or not.

Well we cannot complain at a government if they fail to quickly enough bring in rules we all should follow.
When they then in fact do bring them in, but some can just discount those rules.
Getting support to do so.

If people intend to break the rulings no matter with long travel restrictions..
That's for them.
HOWEVER they're doing wrong.

I wouldn't which is why before the first lockdown I got my Mother over to the UK and my house with me to protect her.
I couldn't have once the lockdown was in place and I couldn't have gone to her either.

The virus isn't going to say, oh it's okay,that person's journey is necessary, it won't infect them.

Anyway, I disagree with you.
The government put rules in place to protect ALL,
In that then for me, no one, not members of that government, celebrities, other officials or general public are above those rules.

Had she sought permission to travel, and was given it, fine.
If it turns out she did, ( although she hasn't stated that), then I'd withdraw my criticism of her unreservedly.

However it seems to me at present more likely another celebrity possibly thinking they can do whatever they like, regardless of safety rules,.
Old 14-02-2021, 12:12 PM #2342
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
[New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has
ordered the country's biggest city Auckland
to go into lockdown after the discovery
of three new local cases of Covid-19.
The measures will last three days and
require residents to stay at home.

Ms Ardern said the country was
going "hard and early" after the
cases were identified.
New Zealand has won widespread
praise for its handling
of the pandemic, going months without
community transmission.]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56059960

Lucky New Zealand,
Yes and they'll obey it and do it.
No messing about from the New Zealand leader and she's right.
Old 14-02-2021, 12:14 PM #2343
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Many people have stayed away from their parents during this time so I get people are frustrated when others are doing that but I think Amanda had a good enough reason I guess I just hope she was responsible.

Spoiler:

Old 14-02-2021, 12:14 PM #2344
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Yes and they'll obey it and do it.
No messing about from the New Zealand leader and she's right.
She's a dictator.
Old 14-02-2021, 12:29 PM #2345
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
She's a dictator.
Nah, just efficient, doing her job right and keeping ALL her citizens as safe as they can be.
Old 14-02-2021, 12:31 PM #2346
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

If nothing happened to Cummings, why should Holden be any different
Old 14-02-2021, 12:33 PM #2347

Quote:
She's a dictator.

No thats China

She is clamping down fast
and keeping Covid-19
very low infections.
Old 14-02-2021, 12:50 PM #2348
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
If nothing happened to Cummings, why should Holden be any different
That's a valid point.

However I am just saying she was wrong and she's said nothing to change my view as to a necessary reason.

Nor am I saying anything should happen to her for doing so either.

Although an ordinary member of the public would likely be fined at least.
No likely messing on that one.
Old 14-02-2021, 12:51 PM #2349

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Not a fan of Amanda Holden, but as a daughter going to visit her elderly parents after a distressing phone call then I couldn’t really fault her.
We are all responsible for ourselves and our loved ones, making sure great care is taken not to spread covid, but sometimes circumstances have to be weighed up and decisions made.
Old 14-02-2021, 03:30 PM #2350
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

Quote:
She's a dictator.
imagine calling such a lovely lady and a very stable leader a dictator

she even did so well as for corona regulations it got her re-elected by the people

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

No.1 Fan of Queen Anastasia ''Nastia'' Stan!!!!!!
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
4pm, 6pm, conference, coronavirus, covid, downing, government, mandatory, minister, outbreak, plan, pm, prime, st, update