Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 21-09-2020, 12:52 AM #26

I really don't see how the show or character can be ruined by being a woman, when the character has not changed at all in the gender swap.

Maybe you just don't enjoy Jodie Whittaker in the role? In which case that wouldn't be the gender swap being to blame, just the choice of actor.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 07:03 AM #27
-

-

Honestly I think the most jarring part of the Doctor Who change is that the JW Doc is much more similar to the Tennant and Smith doctors, and not at all like the Capaldi doctor, but there are valid in-universe explanations for why that would be, as there have been for all of the regens since the reboot.

Eccleston turns into Tennant because he has a cheeky boner for Rose so he becomes a younger, more modern, more fashionable doctor. It all kind of goes to **** for Tennant so he becomes a wackier, more childish, irreverent doctor in Smith who goes through several war-like, universe-ending scenarios, gets gradually angrier and more jaded and literally much "older" which ends up being reflected in his transition to Capaldi, who starts off angry, lonely, uncaring and quite selfish but "heals and learns" over time before regenerating into the much lighter and more "Tennant and Smith like" Whittaker who has a focus on being surrounded by people and family. Unfortunately, the Brady bunch companions don't necessarily WORK very well, and it's a huge part of the clunky writing, but still - all of the lore works fine.

Sorry, I'm aware this is a Bond thread.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 21-09-2020 at 07:05 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 12:56 PM #28
Banned

Banned

The main thing letting JW's Doctor down is the writing. They write her too much as an idiot who doesn't know what's going on half the time and relies on deux ex machinas to figure it out, which is a really ****ing poor choice on the writer's part to make this doctor in particular seem incompetent. I wish we got to see Jodie handle Russell T. Davies or Moffett's writing, it's insulting how badly written she is under Chibnall.

Jodie elevates the material she gets but you can't polish a turd.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 01:19 PM #29
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The main thing letting JW's Doctor down is the writing. They write her too much as an idiot who doesn't know what's going on half the time and relies on deux ex machinas to figure it out, which is a really ****ing poor choice on the writer's part to make this doctor in particular seem incompetent. I wish we got to see Jodie handle Russell T. Davies or Moffett's writing, it's insulting how badly written she is under Chibnall.

I agree as if anything, the Tennant-Smith-Capaldi doctors became MORE knowledgeable and competent over those runs (as you would expect, given the doctor more than doubled, possibly trebled in age over that run) but then JW is often written like she's a n00b . Almost as though the writers forgot that it isn't a "new" doctor, it's a doctor with all of the cumulative experience of all the previous doctors. I think they've aimed for a more humble character which was absolutely the right way to go (as the plot up to that point was an increasing arrogance that was then slowly broken down in Capaldi) but instead of more humble, they landed on less competent which makes no sense.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 21-09-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 05:29 PM #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Honestly I think the most jarring part of the Doctor Who change is that the JW Doc is much more similar to the Tennant and Smith doctors, and not at all like the Capaldi doctor, but there are valid in-universe explanations for why that would be, as there have been for all of the regens since the reboot.

Eccleston turns into Tennant because he has a cheeky boner for Rose so he becomes a younger, more modern, more fashionable doctor. It all kind of goes to **** for Tennant so he becomes a wackier, more childish, irreverent doctor in Smith who goes through several war-like, universe-ending scenarios, gets gradually angrier and more jaded and literally much "older" which ends up being reflected in his transition to Capaldi, who starts off angry, lonely, uncaring and quite selfish but "heals and learns" over time before regenerating into the much lighter and more "Tennant and Smith like" Whittaker who has a focus on being surrounded by people and family. Unfortunately, the Brady bunch companions don't necessarily WORK very well, and it's a huge part of the clunky writing, but still - all of the lore works fine.

Sorry, I'm aware this is a Bond thread.
Oh I never thought of it like that. That's quite clever. And Smith did always nail that "old man in a young man's body" vibe too.

Last edited by Marsh.; 21-09-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 11:44 AM #31

Loads of reports that Harry Styles odds are shortening by the day ..

Surely not the next Bond !?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 11:51 AM #32
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post

Similar to Colin Baker, he had potential to be an awesome Doc but most of stories were just garbage. JW is fine, I don't think she's so good that she elevates the material, but she deserves better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I agree as if anything, the Tennant-Smith-Capaldi doctors became MORE knowledgeable and competent over those runs (as you would expect, given the doctor more than doubled, possibly trebled in age over that run) but then JW is often written like she's a n00b . Almost as though the writers forgot that it isn't a "new" doctor, it's a doctor with all of the cumulative experience of all the previous doctors. I think they've aimed for a more humble character which was absolutely the right way to go (as the plot up to that point was an increasing arrogance that was then slowly broken down in Capaldi) but instead of more humble, they landed on less competent which makes no sense.
Clever! Yeah the others did have a "through-line" so it's like Doc suddenly became stupid for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post

That'd be awesome! Hope he gets plenty of beach scenes

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 12:27 PM #33

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post

Oh,I might actually watch it then , I also would have done if Gerard Butler took the part,he was short listed a few years back,but he's probably too old now.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bond, hardy, role, tom