Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB3 Chat about Kate, Alex, Jade Goody and anything to do with Big Brother 3!

Old 17-06-2002, 08:27 PM #1

Default A Very Depressing Official Press Release.

I find this Press Release incredibly depressing, how on earth can C4 call BB3 a 'Success Story'

-------------------------------

BIG BROTHER SUCCESS STORY CONTINUES

The current series of Big Brother is proving to be even more popular with viewers than its predecessors, as ratings continue to increase.

Despite tough competition the World Cup, the average audience for the eight Big Brother shows last week (Mon 10th – Sun 16th June) on Channel 4 was 4.9 million This is an increase of 15% compared to the same period last year, which attracted 4.3 million viewers.

Friday (14th June) night’s eviction shows attracted 4.7 million viewers and a 22% share of the available audience for the 8.30pm show and an average of 5.8 million viewers and a 28% share of the audience for the 10.00pm show
Saturday’s live task show attracted 4.3 million viewers and a 23% share of the available audience.

Peak viewing last week on Channel 4 was for Monday and Friday night’s Big Brother shows, which both attracted 5.8 million viewers and a 28% share.

Last week’s Big Brother shows on Channel 4 averaged a 45% share amongst 16-34 year olds, compared to 42% for the equivalent period last year.

The average E4 share last week (10 –16 June) was 4.7% amongst individuals, ahead of Sky One at 3.3%. Among 16-34’s, E4’s average weekly share for the week was 8.5% higher than Sky One (3.9%), BBC2 (4%) and C5 (4.5%) in multichannel homes.

Big Brother’s Little Brother averaged 952,000 viewers for its 7pm slot last week. The 8.30 pm shows averaged 425,000 and 742,000 for the 10.30pm shows. This is a marked increase on the same period last year where Big Brother’s Little Brother averaged 216,000 at 7pm and 304,000 for the later show.
Big Brother’s Little Brother also drew its highest audience to date on Sunday night when the new contestant entered the house. Viewing rose to 1.4 million in the 7pm show and peaked at 1.6 million.

On the Big Brother website the average number of page impressions this week was 3.5 million, an increase on the same period last year which was 3.1 million. Thursday’s figures of 4.7 million were the highest daily page impression numbers since the day Nick left the Big Brother house in 2001 where page impressions more than doubled this figure.
Tuesday’s unique user figures, 330,000 are the highest of any in the last two years and almost three times the highest number from last year which was 118,000.

All figures quoted are taken from unofficial overnight ratings figures from BARB. They do not take account of viewers who may have video recorded the programmes.
LEE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2002, 08:44 PM #2

Default mmm

I guess it's all about perceptions.
Me - well I'm an old cycnic (not to mention a teacher). I never believe anyone who tells me that they are brilliant, fantastic the best etc etc......... my reaction to C4 is the same
(and I've quite enjoyed BB3 so far!)

But why the title??? A mystery to me
blinkinlovely is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2002, 08:52 PM #3

Quote:
Why the Title
If you are referring to me calling it a very depressing press release then that is because I find it completely depressing that C4 seem to think that this show is going so well when the reaction from the majority of the viewing public, who have made their feelings known, is that it is disappointing, not entertaining to watch and nowhere near as good as last years. They are obviously completely ignoring public reaction to the lack of decent tasks and the abhorrent bars.

If however you mean 'The success story continues' mystifies you as a title, then I agree with you 100%

LEE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2002, 08:52 PM #4

Yes, it doesn't surprise me at all. They have the audience they sought, and the absolute notariety of this year's shenanigans will ensure figures stay sky high.

It's just that it's a different breed of programme entirely from last year. I can't enjoy it, but I do still watch the omnibus each night.

I think the success of this year is largely built on the success of last year. Everyone who watched it then is back, as well as those who caught the tail end publicity after the show finished and wondered what they had missed.

Then, there's the fact they have turned it from BB to Elstree Uncovered by picking absolute morons to people it.

A winning combination obviously
Romantic Old Bird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2002, 08:59 PM #5

Default oops didn\'t mean to offend... sorry

Quote:
Originally posted by LEE
Quote:
Why the Title
If you are referring to me calling it a very depressing press release .......

Apologies, I mis-read it (well I am typing these ************ reports. I thought that C4 had said it was depressing!!!!
LOL
blinkinlovely is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2002, 08:59 PM #6

Your spot on Rob.

steve_o is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2002, 10:19 PM #7

What surprises me about the whole press release is that they feel the need to issue it in the first place. This smacks of desperation to me. It seems to be a case of you DO like it and here's the figures to prove it. What do those figures prove anyway? It may indeed show the numbers of people tuning in - does it say they watch the whole show, or watch for a considerable length of time? They cannot calculate how many are turning in to see if it's got any better (!), their figures don't show how tedious it's become, neither do their figures show how much people dislike the format of the show.

If I was Ch4 - I wouldn't be crowing about viewing figures - they are a statistic and are really meaningless in terms of quality, entertainment value, and customer satisfaction.

I can't remember any similar releases from last year or the year before. That, in itself, speaks volumes to me.
susieq is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2002, 10:48 PM #8

Your right they never did, whenever tv companies start talking viewing figures thing's start going downhill. It wasnt long ago they were saying how wonderful ITV digital was doing and look what happned to that. They use these viewing figures like politicans use spin to try and con the public, they think were a load of sheep. They think tell everyone things are great and they start to belive it. Well I for one don't trust them one bit.

steve_o is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2002, 11:14 PM #9
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by susieq
What surprises me about the whole press release is that they feel the need to issue it in the first place. This smacks of desperation to me.
Unfortunately viewing figures are the industry-accepted measure of success. Of course it doesn't measure programme quality; that ITV1 manages to draw so many viewers is testament to this.

But 'success' to C4 *IS* how many people tune in. This determines the advertising premiums and as such how much profit they can make. From their point of view it's an unqualified success. It's not uncommon for television companies to release statements regarding increasing viewing figures or anything else which will put the company in a good light to investors and advertisers.
disco is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2002, 07:15 AM #10

I'm not sure about this one.

Although the majority of people who post here, and on other message boards, may think BB3 is disappointing, it’s possible that the millions of people that watch the show do not.

There is probably some truth in the point that this series may be on the coat tails of the previous one, but if the viewers dislike it so much, why do they keep tuning in every night?

And viewing figures are the worst possible way of measuring the success of a TV show – apart from all the other ways, that is.

I reckon that Endemol have created a version of Big Brother that appeals most to the type and age-group of people that watches the show, and that’s why the viewing figures are up.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2002, 01:57 PM #11

James, you may be right, but I repeat, This is Channel 4's show this year. Endemol I believe only sold the rights and have little input on this years show.

If anyone can confirm this PLEASE post here.............
splodge0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2002, 02:49 PM #12

undoubtely this years show is different, but i dont think it makes it bad necessarily, i do question the need 4 the bars, they are headline grabbing and cut down on the human interaction which made bb1/2 so gr8 4 me........i am enjoying the show as long as i keep in my mind its difference!
wheelyjo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2002, 03:49 PM #13

Quote:
Originally posted by wheelyjo
undoubtely this years show is different, but i dont think it makes it bad necessarily, i do question the need 4 the bars, they are headline grabbing and cut down on the human interaction which made bb1/2 so gr8 4 me........i am enjoying the show as long as i keep in my mind its difference!
I agree with you wheelyjo. Theres no question about it, this show isn soooooooo different to last years and the previous one but I dont think it makes it bad, I find it entertaining. The bars are a bit annoying but I dont dislike them as much as I did at first, I am starting to get used to them now and I think it makes it funny watching one side having bread and chickpeas and another side with Roast Pork.
I actually know people who believe it is the bars that is keeping the show alive; every1 has different opinions on ths years show but at the end of the day, people are still tuning in and it is getting people talking, it is having an impact on the viewers!
WILDCHILD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2002, 07:17 PM #14
Oldgit

Oldgit

I think the problem is that for those of us who watched last year's BB, we have become addicts and cannot stop watching even though it is rubbish.

I think though that if Spencer goes this Friday it will be as much as I can take! At least his irreverence and couldn't care less attitude is a refreshing change from people like Adele who is a right crawler, and several others are little better!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2002, 07:58 PM #15

This is not the first time I have totally agreed with you Oldgit....you express my feelings exactly. I also think that if Jade was to be evicted, the programme would not be half as lively and therefore also less enjoyable to watch.

Honey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:59 AM #16

bigbro100% is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:24 PM #17
TiBB founder

TiBB founder

Any reason in particular you bumped a 5 year old thread?

- Mark
Mark is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
depressing, official, press, release