Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB10 Big Brother 10 from 2009 was won by Sophie Reade.

Old 24-08-2009, 02:06 AM #26
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Tbh your right ahmedfan.

it can be interpreted as racist but I don't think he is generally racist. I think it was in the heat of the moment
It could be interpreted as racist...yes, but if you DO view it as racist, then you would also view charlies mimicking of rodrigos accent as racist. Unless you are just trying to twist things to suit yourself like some...
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 02:07 AM #27
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by VickyJ
If it is racist to mock an indian, it is also racist to mock anyone of a different nationality. You can't just twist everything to suit yourself.
No it isn't, because it depends on the inference and connotations. Mocking certain accents can imply a lot of things and then cause offense. I am not twisting anything here, you just don't understand this simple point.

Mocking Indian accents has inference
Mocking African noses has inference

Mocking Italian taste in food has little inference
Mocking Brazilian accent has little inference

You have a problem with these various standards; well that's because of the racist society that we live in, and which has been built upon. If it was never racist at all, this wouldn't be an issue!
AhmedFan2004 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 02:08 AM #28

Was that a mis-quote vicky?
King Gizzard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 02:10 AM #29
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by no1Joeno1
Well apparently only white people can be racist.
Mainly so, because most of the racism has been whites onto a minority race. I don't write the history books, that's just the way it's been, certainly with regards to the UK. Slavery, Indian immigrants, etc.

Quote:
Like there's a Black Music Awards. If it was White Music Awards, it would be racist.
Because the idea is to try and create equality between the races, due to all the racism, segregation etc that has happened for centuries.

You guys still don't get this. As someone not white and british, maybe I do?
Old 24-08-2009, 02:10 AM #30
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally posted by AhmedFan2004
Quote:
If it is racist to mock an indian, it is also racist to mock anyone of a different nationality. You can't just twist everything to suit yourself.
No it isn't, because it depends on the inference and connotations. Mocking certain accents can imply a lot of things and then cause offense. I am not twisting anything here, you just don't understand this simple point.

You have a problem with these various standards; well that's because of the racist society that we live in, and which has been built upon. If it was never racist at all, this wouldn't be an issue!
Because it depends on the inference and connotations....

No it doesnt. At all.

I'm done here...cant talk sense to people who don't understand the meaning of the word.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:10 AM #31
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Tbh your right ahmedfan.

it can be interpreted as racist but I don't think he is generally racist. I think it was in the heat of the moment
I know Marcus isn't, but the point was, mocking an Indian accent implies a lot of things, potentially offensive. It's not equivalent to all the light-hearted BS examples that others have given thus far.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:11 AM #32

I think its an issue that needs to be laid to rest, because there are equally valid arguments imo
King Gizzard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 02:13 AM #33
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Because it depends on the inference and connotations....

No it doesnt. At all.

I'm done here...cant talk sense to people who don't understand the meaning of the word.
LOL, yes it does. If it implies 50 years of racism in the UK and ostracizing, or if it implies slavery and segregation ... then yes that matters.

I'm sorry if you don't like these standards, but that's the reality. If you want rid of the standards, then re-write the history books.

No racism in society EVER = Equal standards for all, equal footing, etc.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:14 AM #34
0_o

0_o

Ahmed..are you also one of these that believes that indian people cant be racist towards white people?

Certainly seems that way.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:14 AM #35
Banned

Banned

Quote:
I think its an issue that needs to be laid to rest, because there are equally valid arguments imo
I don't think Vicky has made a valid argument. She believes that if you mock a Brazilian accent, then you can mock an Indian accent, because then it's 'fair and equal'. She's way off mark, and thinking VERY bluntly and surface level here.

If one infers 50 years of racism and ostracizing, and the other infers nothing ...

Then there's a MASSIVE difference in potentiality of offense.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:16 AM #36
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think Vicky has made a valid argument. She believes that if you mock a Brazilian accent, then you can mock an Indian accent, because then it's 'fair and equal'. She's way off mark, and thinking VERY bluntly and surface level here.

If one infers 50 years of racism and ostracizing, and the other infers nothing ...

Then there's a MASSIVE difference in potentiality of offense.
No theres not.

Racism is racism no matter which country people are from/what colour etc the person on the recieiving end is.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:18 AM #37
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Ahmed..are you also one of these that believes that indian people cant be racist towards white people?

Certainly seems that way.
In theory of course they can. But it's a lot harder. What mocking could an Indian person do towards an English person? It would infer nothing, there'd be no deep connection to x years of racism or anything, it'd just be a cheap dig.

I'm struggling to think of something an Indian could do.

Racist words and actions are reserved for minorities, and have impact on minority groups. Because racism has been primarily whites ---> minority group. That's just the way history has been.

We do not have control over the past 100 years. Sorry.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:18 AM #38
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:

Racism is
‘Any incident which is perceived to be racist by the victim or any other person. The incident does not have to be a crime The main types of incident are:

Assault - when someone is physically attacked
Damage - when property is damaged e.g. broken window
Abuse - when verbal abuse is given e.g. name calling
Harassment - continual nuisance however minor.

If Rodders took offense or anyone else took offense at the mocking of the Brazilian accent then its racism.

What you have to keep in mind though is the intent behind the incident. Was it designed to belittle the victim, because of his race. Did the incident occur because of the element of race.
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 02:19 AM #39
Banned

Banned

Quote:
It could be interpreted as racist...yes, but if you DO view it as racist, then you would also view charlies mimicking of rodrigos accent as racist. Unless you are just trying to twist things to suit yourself like some...
No. I've told you exactly what mocking an Indian accent would infer.

What does mocking a Brazilian accent infer? Nothing, because Brazilians haven't faced significant prejudice or ostracizing in British culture.

You don't get this though, so no worries.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:23 AM #40
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Quote:
No. I've told you exactly what mocking an Indian accent would infer.

What does mocking a Brazilian accent infer? Nothing, because Brazilians haven't faced significant prejudice or ostracizing in British culture.

You don't get this though, so no worries.
I think its you that doesnt get it.

It does not make the slightest bit of difference what has happened in history...we live today. If someone is racist towards any nationality, then it is still racism...its not worse racism just because the person on the recieving end is indian/a jew etc. All racism is the same. Its wrong.

Plus...I want to make it clear that I dont actually believe charlie was being racist to rodrigo...it was just an example.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:24 AM #41
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by no1Joeno1
Wow you anti racist people really are "racist" with how you think some races are more important than others.

Mocking someone's accent who is annoying you isn't racist. But I don't see how it is less racist if it is a Brazilian accent, not an Indian one.
LOL, nobody has said in the thread that any race is more important than another.

And it's not equal because one action can infer things that are derogatory and upsetting, whereas the other action has no inference.

EXAMPLE:
Telling a black guy "You'd make a good farmer" ---> Could offend him because it relates to slavery and sugar cane farmers.

Telling a Greek guy "You'd make a good farmer" ----> No racist, derogatory inference. No history of greeks abused as farmers, etc.

Anyone get it yet apart from me?
Old 24-08-2009, 02:26 AM #42
Banned

Banned

Quote:
No theres not.

Racism is racism no matter which country people are from/what colour etc the person on the recieiving end is.
Yes, racism is racism.

But mocking an Indian accent and mocking a Brazilian accent is not the same.

One can be racist, the other can't be really.

It is theoretically possible to be racist to White people, but I'd be hard pushed. Most ideas would certainly have less impact than offense that whites could cause to blacks, for example.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:29 AM #43
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Quote:
No theres not.

Yes, racism is racism.

But mocking an Indian accent and mocking a Brazilian accent is not the same.

One can be racist, the other can't be really.
So its not possible to be racist to a brazilian is it not?

Mocking accents is not racist anyway, in my reckoning, unless it is done maliciously...in which case it is equally offensive to both indians AND brazilians...

You can be racist to anyone of a different race...

Indians can be racist to Brazilians
English can be racist to Indians
Brazilians can be racist to Indians

And so on...
Old 24-08-2009, 02:30 AM #44
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Mocking a Brazilian because of their race or culture is the same as mocking an Indian for the same.

If you cant put the alleged abuses of the past behind you, it's you with the problem.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:33 AM #45
Banned

Banned

Quote:

It does not make the slightest bit of difference what has happened in history...we live today. If someone is racist towards any nationality, then it is still racism...
No, you're really way off the mark here, I'm actually gobsmacked.

You cannot say that history doesn't matter because we live today, that's a totally nonsense argument. History pervades everything of today, every second is founded upon the previous second. We are a product of history, the past determines the future.

And another key thing. Yes, racism to a white person is still racism. But my point is, you can't just be racist to him by simply mocking his accent. There's no inference, there's no history of prejudice that it implies. There's no deep-rooted suffering or inferiority implied by it. It's just a cheap dig.

Or you could say, that it is VERY midly racist, and MUCH less so than the reverse of mocking an Indian accent. The potentiality of offense is much greater because of what it implies and infers.

Tell a white guy he'd make a good sugar cane farmer.
Tell a black guy he'd make a good sugar cane farmer.

Do you get it yet? It's racist in one case, not in the other. And yes, because of history. YOU CAN'T IGNORE HISTORY for benefits. Sorry.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:35 AM #46
Banned

Banned

Quote:

Mocking accents is not racist anyway, in my reckoning, unless it is done maliciously...in which case it is equally offensive to both indians AND brazilians...

And so on...
Yes you can be racist to anyone. But not really by mocking his Brazilian accent. Mocking accent is a great way to be racist to an Indian though. Or calling a black person a great sugar cane farmer.

For Brazilians, I wouldn't really know. Maybe you could find out the right phrases/words.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:36 AM #47
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Quote:

It does not make the slightest bit of difference what has happened in history...we live today. If someone is racist towards any nationality, then it is still racism...
No, you're really way off the mark here, I'm actually gobsmacked.

You cannot say that history doesn't matter because we live today, that's a totally nonsense argument. History pervades everything of today, every second is founded upon the previous second. We are a product of history, the past determines the future.

And another key thing. Yes, racism to a white person is still racism. But my point is, you can't just be racist to him by simply mocking his accent. There's no inference, there's no history of prejudice that it implies. There's no deep-rooted suffering or inferiority implied by it. It's just a cheap dig.

Or you could say, that it is VERY midly racist, and MUCH less so than the reverse of mocking an Indian accent. The potentiality of offense is much greater because of what it implies and infers.

Tell a white guy he'd make a good sugar cane farmer.
Tell a black guy he'd make a good sugar cane farmer.

Do you get it yet? It's racist in one case, not in the other. And yes, because of history. YOU CAN'T IGNORE HISTORY for benefits. Sorry.
Honestly...that chip on your shoulder due to fall off yet?

This is the most nonsense I have heard in a long time.

I think you would have a lot of trouble getting people to agree with this arguement.

RACISM IS RACISM NO MATTER WHO IS ON THE RECIEVING END.

Just because indians have suffered in the past, that does NOT make racism towards them any different to any other form of racism.
Old 24-08-2009, 02:38 AM #48
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:

EXAMPLE:
Telling a black guy "You'd make a good farmer" ---> Could offend him because it relates to slavery and sugar cane farmers.

Telling a Greek guy "You'd make a good farmer" ----> No racist, derogatory inference. No history of greeks abused as farmers, etc.

Anyone get it yet apart from me?
Wow what a great comment, so being white i should avoid making any sort of remark to a coloured person, because they will draw from it some totally out of context idea i am referring to their history and how us whiteys put upon them.

Nothing to do with the fact he may be good at raising plants etc?
Old 24-08-2009, 02:38 AM #49
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Shasown
If you cant put the alleged abuses of the past behind you, it's you with the problem.
ROFL. Maybe all the Indians and Africans who got upset about being offended/abused should apologise for remembering their history. They should ignore it, so that people can mock their accents etc and it would be fine, since history is ignored.

Let's ignore XMas now, that's just BS based on history!
Old 24-08-2009, 02:39 AM #50
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Quote:

And so on...
Yes you can be racist to anyone. But not really by mocking his Brazilian accent. Mocking accent is a great way to be racist to an Indian though. Or calling a black person a great sugar cane farmer.

For Brazilians, I wouldn't really know. Maybe you could find out the right phrases/words.
Noone said anything about phrases or words though, you brought that example up.

This is about mocking accents...

Which could be offensive to ANYONE on the recieving end.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
remembering, sree